Author's Chapter Notes:

It's late, I'm super sleepy, ignore the typos or bad grammer lol

The Saturday of Alex’s birthday party dawned hot and sunny. Andy had stayed the night at Justin’s even though he’d gotten off at 8 pm. She wanted to be there to get an early start for making food and getting everything organized. There was going to be at least twenty people there so she had lots to do. Justin’s sister and brother-in-law, who was also a cop, were coming to help with the kids so Andy and Justin could get everything done they needed to.

 

Andy woke up at 7 and walked down the stairs. Justin was in the kitchen feeding the kids already so they could be up from their naps by noon for the party.

”Good morning” Andy practically sang, getting a cup of orange juice out of the refrigerator

 

“Morning” Justin mumbled, not even looking at her.

 

She walked over to Alex’s highchair and quickly kissed the birthday boys head, telling him happy birthday. That’s when Justin noticed her, in her tank top and shorter than short jogging shorts, her hair hanging down her back in gentle curls.

 

“Ready for this?” she asked him smiling when she saw him looking at her.

 

“I think so. I can’t believe I have a one year old.”

 

“I bet.”

 

Andy walked over to the refrigerator and started getting everything out she needed. She was making potato salad, coleslaw, a couple different casseroles, a garden salad, and a lasagna. Justin was going to bar-be-que pork steaks, hamburgers, bratwursts, and then hot dogs for the kids. For dessert they had the John Deere birthday cake, apple pie and a fruit salad.

 

“The meat is still in the fridge,” Andy said, pulling her hair back.

 

Justin watched her getting everything together, still amazed by her. It had been three months since she’d come in to his life and drastically changed it by helping him. She’d nurtured the two children, and helped him cope with everything more than he was sure she’d ever know. If only she wasn’t so young. If only she wasn’t his best friends sister. If only…

 

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door. “That’s probably Stacey and Ryan,” he said going to answer the door.

 

Andy stayed in the kitchen with the kids, getting her ingredients separated for each dish. She loved Justin’s kitchen, and was excited to be cooking in it.

 

“Hey Andy, this is my sister Stacey and her husband Ryan. You probably already know him though,” Justin introduced.


”Hey, it’s nice to finally meet you!” Stacey gushed, shaking Andy’s hand. The woman was short, shorter than Andy’s 5’4”, making her wonder how Justin got so tall. Her blond hair was short; one of the trendy bob cuts Andy didn’t really care for. Her blue eyes were identical to Justin’s.

 

“Hey Ryan,” she said friendly, though she didn’t remember the guy. He wasn’t much taller than her with raven black hair and eyes so dark she was sure they were black.

 

“What do you want us to do?” Stacey had a bubbly personality, and her question came out with more enthusiasm than Andy though she needed.

 

“Stac, you keep the kids busy, don’t let them go to sleep until around 10. Ryan, come help me set up all the shit outside.”

 

The two men disappeared, leaving Stacey and Andy alone in the kitchen with the kids.

 

“Do they need anything?” Stacey asked, picking Emma up.

 

“Na, they should be good. Justin just got done feeding them breakfast.”

 

Stacey sat in the kitchen with the kids as Andy was preparing and cooking food.


”So are you going back to school in the fall?” Stacey finally asked, making small talk.

 

“Not this fall. I will sooner or later, right now these kiddos are my biggest worry.”

 

That brought a smile to Stacey’s face. “I’m not sure you hear it enough, but what you are doing is great.”

”It’s no problem at all. I love kids, and this keeps me busy.”

”I don’t just mean with the kids Andy.”

 

Andy stopped what she was doing and looked at Stacey, completely confused. “What?”

 

“I mean for Justin too. His kids are his world. Don’t ever tell anyone I told you this, I am the only one that knows. Nicole didn’t want kids. He had to talk her into it and give her the Porsche she wanted before she finally gave in and said ok. Emma was an accident one night when he came home late and she was drunk.”

 

Andy’s jaw dropped open. “You’re shitting me!”

 

“No. She never treated Justin real good either, but he loved her and that’s all that mattered to him. She put on the caring mom act around people when Alex was born but she didn’t really care. Justin said he came home one night when Alex was like two weeks old and she was passed out drunk, Alex screaming. She didn’t even know the last time he’d had a bottle.”

 

“The poor kid!” Andy was now totally outraged, steaming, beyond upset that anyone could be like that.

 

“He’s like a totally different person now, Andy. Since you came around. He acts like he’s living a great life again and he’s happy. And these kids are so well taken care of.”

 

Andy blushed, speechless.

 

“Thank you for it all. I’ve got my awesome little brother back now, and a niece and nephew that are very well off.”

 

“That makes it all worth it then. I had no idea about Nicole.”

”Her parents, brother and sister and I believe a couple aunts and uncles are coming today. You’ll get the full feel of her lifestyle and what she was used to.”

”Can’t hardly wait,” Andy mumbled, rolling her eyes.

 

Justin chose just then to peep in the kitchen, arms full of decorations. “Where you want all these at Andy?”

 

“The table clothes go on the tables for the food with all the plates, cups, napkins and silverware. The little flags put around the awning you rented. Everything else I guess just pick a place and put it.”

 

He went back out and Stacey smiled. “Thank you for your huge part in this.”

 

Andy laughed. “I did it all, he was so clueless.”

 

“Well thank you. I wish our parents were coming so they could meet you.”

 

“Where are they? Of all the times me and Justin have talked, he’s never brought them up.”

Stacey sighed. “They live in New York. Moved there about three years ago after Justin and Nicole got married. Dad got transferred up there; mom moved her photography studio up there when they moved. Now she’s a high profile, celebrity photographer.”

 

“Ohhh.”

 

Justin and Ryan walked in just then, Justin shirtless and covered in sweat.

”It’s hot as fuck out there,” he said standing next to Andy.

 

She had an incredible urge to kiss him. Just because of all the bullshit he’d been through. She resisted though, and just smiled instead. “It’s the end of August, what do you expect?”

 

“Yeah, yeah smartass. Everything going ok in here?”

 

“Yep, it’s probably about an hour away from being done.”

 

“Awesome. I’m gonna jump in the shower. Stacey you can lay the kids down. It’s close enough to 10 for me.”

 

“Will do.”

”When I get out, I’ll finish whatever needs to be done so you can jump in the shower,” he told Andy and ran upstairs.

 

“Hey Ryan, do you think you can go pick p the cake and all of the balloons for me?”

 

“I sure can!” They had the actual birthday cake, Alex’s small cake and tons of balloons.

   

A half hour, Justin walked downstairs in jeans with a black button front shirt on, but it wasn’t buttoned. Andy had to stop herself from drooling.

 

“Where is everyone?”

 

“Ryan went to get the balloons and cake for me. Stacey went to get the presents they have for Alex, and the kiddos are upstairs sleeping.”

 

He walked over to see what Andy had done so he could taste. “Andy, this shit looks, smells and tastes amazing!”

 

“Thanks,” she whispered, cutting up watermelon for the fruit salad.

 

Justin walked up behind her, just standing there for a moment. His hands slowly made their way to Andy’s hips, his body pressing against her back. His lips lightly brushed on her neck.

 

Andy froze when she felt Justin’s hands on her body. Don’t do this, she thought to herself. Her eyes closed on their own when his lips touched her neck.

 

“Justin,” she sighed, delighting in the feeling, though she knew she shouldn’t.

 

He gently turned her around in his arms, then pressed his lips to hers. She was hesitant at first, but soon she was kissing him back with a passion neither had felt in a long time.

 

He reached behind her and pushed the cutting board and everything else behind Andy over, and gently sat her on the counter. She wrapped her legs on each side of him and pulled him closer.

 

“I want you Andy,” he mumbled around her lips. His hands went to the bottom of her tank top, his hands massaging the sides of her stomach area.

 

That’s when they heard Emma start crying, and the front door open. They jumped apart, Andy continuing what she was doing, Justin going to take care of Emma.

 

“What the hell are you going to do with fifty balloons woman?” Ryan barged in.


Andy laughed, her cheeks still flushed from the kiss. “Decorate the place with them.”

 

Justin came back down with Emma fussing.

 

“Hey cranky baby,” Andy said, taking her and Emma quit fussing.


Justin got a bottle ready, then took Emma back and sat at the kitchen table to feed her. “Go take a shower,” he mumbled to Andy.

 

“Ok. Take the casseroles out when the timer goes off and I think everything is done then.”

 

“Alright.” He didn’t even look at her, which kind of confused her as she took off up the stairs.

 

“You ok?” Ryan asked when she was gone.

”Yeah” Justin mumbled, not looking him in the eyes.

 

“Justin, what’s wrong?”

”I’m confused about Andy. I’ll figure it out.”

 

“Care to explain?”

 

“Tell anyone and I’ll kill you. She’s…..amazing. I’m happy with her around, the kids love her, and she loves them. I get these…feelings when I kiss her that I haven’t had in years. She’s got a boyfriend now, I shouldn’t do that to her. But I want to. She’s Jason’s sister. She’s my babysitter. I shouldn’t even want to kiss her.”

 

Ryan blew out a breath of air. “Wow.”

 

“I don’t know what to do. It’s complicated.”

 

“Ignore the feelings. All of them. She’s important for your kids right now, that’s all that matters. You’ll find someone that’ll do those things to you and it won’t be complicated. She has a boyfriend, obviously she doesn’t feel the same.”

”I get that. But what if I don’t ever find someone, ya know? It took forever with Nicole.”

 

“Trust me on it Justin. Please?”

 

“I’ll try,” he sighed. He already knew he couldn’t though, even if it was in his and his kids’ best interest.

   

In the shower, Andy was trying to figure out what to do. Talk to Justin? Just keep it quiet? She had no idea.

 

After her shower, she put on her pink sundress she’d bought specifically for the day. She let her hair air-dry so it would curl gently at the ends.

 

She walked back downstairs at Justin was taking the last casserole out of the oven.


”Hey, wanna get the kids dressed so we can get this started?” he asked her smiling, holding up the kids’ outfits.

”Definitely!”

   

An hour later, Vivian, Arthur, Jason, Maria, a few guys Justin worked with and their families were there already . Vivian was going camera crazy, taking pictures of everything.


”Guess Nicole’s family decided not to come,” Stacey whispered to Justin.

 

“Who cares.”

 

Around that time, Justin spotted Andy walking out of the house with a guy he assumed was her boyfriend.

 

“Hey Justin,” Andy greeted when he walked over to her. “So, this is Cole.”

 

“Nice to meet you,” Cole said, shaking Justin’s hand.


Justin discreetly sized the other man up, wondering what Andy saw in the kid.

 

“Should we let everyone eat now or just let them get it as they want it?” Andy asked.

 

“Just let them get it.” He turned and saw more people arriving. “We’ll do the cake around 2. That should give them time to eat and mingle.”

 

“Ok,” Andy said then led Cole over to her parents, Jason and Maria, and Stacey and Ryan. “Stay here for a little bit, I gotta bring the food out and make sure the bar-be-que is about done.”

 

“Can’t he do that? It is his kids party,” Cole about sneered.


Andy glared at him, then walked off towards the house.

 

Justin saw her walk in the house. He quickly excused himself from the conversation he was having and went in the house.

 

“The meat is about done,” Justin said walking in, startling Andy.

 

“Don’t scare me like that,” she whispered, trying to find serving utensils.

 

Justin walked over behind her, his hands going to her hips.

 

“Please don’t,” she whispered.

 

“Why?”

 

“I have a boyfriend Justin. And he’s right out that door. I can’t-“

 

“I’m sorry,” he interrupted her, removed his hands, and stood next to her instead.

 

“Everything is ready. Just has to be brought out.”

 

They each grabbed a dish and started carrying everything out. People immediately swarmed the food, complimenting how good it was. That’s when it all started.

 

Justin heard voices coming out of his house. He turned toward the door and saw eight people walking out, acting as if they were too good to be there. “Great,” he muttered and rolled his eyes.

 

“Hi Justin,” the older lady greeted him rather coldly.

 

“Hey Regina. Steven.” He and Nicole’s parents hated each other from the start, and it was no different now.

 

“Cute little party,” the older man said.

 

Regina was Nicole’s mom, Steven her father. Her brother James and sister Samantha were there, as were Nicole’s two favorite aunts and uncles; Marcy and Darrell, and Heidi and Joshua.

 

“The food is ready if you’re hungry,” Justin said and walked off.

 

At Nicole’s funeral, none of her family would acknowledge him or the kids, and he still held that grudge against them. He didn’t really want to invite them, but figured he’d let them see how well things were even without their help.

 

The group followed Justin to where Andy was with Jason and Maria, Andy holding Emma, Maria holding Alex.

 

“There’s my darling grandbabies,” Regina cooed, obviously putting on a front. “And who are you?” she sneered toward Andy.

 

Andy just looked at her like she was insane. “Who are you?” Andy snapped back.

 

“Regina, Steven, this is Andy. She’s been babysitting Emma and Alex for me when I have to work. Andy these are Nicole’s parents.”

 

Andy knew exactly what Stacey was talking about. They had an aura about them saying they thought they were better than anyone else. In their all white, khaki and light colored clothing, it looked as though they just stepped out of a country club commercial.

 

Regina practically ripped Emma from Andy’s arms. She was ready to say something but one look from Justin and she kept her mouth shut. Steven grabbed Alex from Maria, the birthday boy started crying.

 

“It’s ok, Alexander. You can see Grandpa,” he snapped at the little boy.

 

That’s when Alex surprised everyone. He reached for Andy, calling her mama. Her eyes widened, and she could tell everyone else was just as surprised.

 

“Mama?” Steven roared, scaring him even more.

 

“You are scaring him!” Andy snapped, taking the baby and walking away.

 

“You have your son calling the babysitter mama?” she heard Steven yell at Justin. She turned around and saw the lost look in Justin’s eyes before he looked down at the ground.

 

As she was getting ready to go back over to the snotty people, Cole showed up at her side. “Just stay here Andy. Let him deal with it.”

 

Andy gawked at Cole. “No. Take him for a minute,” she said and handing Alex to Cole. He took the baby, not knowing what to do.

 

Andy marched back over to the older man and got right in his face. “Just who the hell do you think you are talking to someone like that? The three months I’ve been around and not once have you come to see these kids. Or even find out how Justin was coping with everything.”


”In case you forgot, we lost our daughter! Because he had to get her pregnant!”

 

“Don’t give me that shit. It takes two to create a baby. In case you forgot, he lost a lot more than you did. His wife, his best friend and his children’s mother. Get your ass off whatever pedestal you think you belong on, and jump into the real world.”

 

“Honey, I’m on a bigger and higher pedestal than you will ever be on. Living in this trashy town, never going anywhere or doing anything with your life.”

 

“Go back to your yacht or country club or wherever it is you belong and get the fuck out of here. No one needs you or wants you around here.”

 

Justin stood back listening to everything in amazement. Amazed that someone was sticking up for him and he wasn’t fighting the battle alone.

 

“Just admit it, you little redneck girl. You want to be his mom, that’s why you have him calling you that.”

 

Luckily Justin and Arthur were right there and held her back as she went to hit the arrogant old man.

”Let me go, damn it!” she squealed.

 

“Andy, calm down,” Arthur said, walking her away from the people.

 

“No dad! No one needs to come in here talking all that shit when they don’t know anything about anything!”

 

“I know enough to know this hick didn’t deserve my sister!” James shouted to Andy.


Before anyone could see it, Jason hit the man, hard, knocking him down.

 

“You guys need to leave. Now,” Justin said low to his in-laws.

 

“I am staying for my grandson’s birthday,” Regina said, stepping forward.

 

“Oh no you aren’t” Vivian said, stepping in it. “You’re family has already ruined. Now go. You are surrounded by cops and the police chief, I’m sure restraining orders and the such wouldn’t look good on your family name.”

 

“It would be no more of a disgrace than having him for a son-in-law!” Steven roared.

 

Justin’s head fell, and he turned toward the house, slowly walking in. Andy looked toward Stacey and she made a motion for Andy to follow him in. Andy shook her head and Stacey walked up to her. “Go, now. We’ll take care of this, go.”

 

Andy looked to her boyfriend who was uncomfortable holding the baby, his eyes pleading for someone to get him. “Get Alex from Cole, he looks like he’s about to die from touching a baby.”

 

Andy walked in the house, looking for Justin. She found him in the garage, a hole in the wall near the door. “Justin,” she whispered.

 

“Go Andy, I just need a few minutes.” She saw him wipe tears off his cheek.

 

“No, talk to me Justin. I’m not leaving until you do.”

 

“I hate them!” he screamed, scaring Andy. “I hate every single one of their high and mighty hairs on their head!”

 

“They’re nobody Justin. You know that.”

 

“They’re the parents of the woman I fell so hard for and lost Andy!”

 

“Don’t do this to yourself. You’re better than all of this drama. You have done a hell of a job with those kids by yourself and you know it.”

 

“Only because of you! You’ve done so much, my son is even calling you mom now!”

 

“Hey,” she whispered and walked closer. “He doesn’t know, that is nobodies fault. I’m always around him, and taking care of him. That’s all a baby knows. And everyone needs some help now and then, don’t be ashamed of it at all.”

 

He suddenly grabbed Andy and hugged her, tight. “You’re my angel Andy. Thank you.”

 

She just smiled as they hugged each other.

 

“You ok now?”

 

He roughly wiped his face and looked at her. “Yeah.”

 

“Ok. Let’s go give that baby the best rest of his first birthday party possible.”

 

“Are they gone?”

 

“We’ll find out. If not, I’m gonna hit that old man.”

 

That caused Justin to laugh and she knew then he was doing better.

   

When they went back out, Nicole’s family was gone. Everyone blew it off, and acted like nothing happened, except Cole.

 

“What the hell was all that about?” he asked Andy when she went back over to him.

 

“Family tension. Don’t worry about it.”

 

“That was exciting.”

 

“Yeah,” and mumbled sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

  

They finished eating, had cake and then Alex slowly opened all of his presents. The kid was officially spoiled rotten now.

 

As everyone was starting to leave, Andy started cleaning up. She was in loading dishes in the dishwasher when Justin walked in.

 

“What are you doing on Labor Day?”

 

“I don’t think anything. Why?”

”Your dad just gave me and your brother and a few other guys the whole weekend off to go to the lake.”

”What’s that got to do with me?” she asked laughing.


”I want you to go. I haven’t had a fun weekend in a long, long time and-“

”You deserve it. I’ll go and help you with the kids so you can have fun.”

He was so relieved he wanted to hug her, but didn’t. Just as he was about to, Cole walked in. “Hey man. You’re going to the lake Labor Day weekend,” Justin told him.

”I am?”

 

“Yeah. Andy is going to help me with the kids, you’re going too. Spend the weekend with her, sort of.”

 

Cold smiled. “That’s cool. Me and the boys usually hit the lake Memorial and Labor day weekends and a few other times over the summer.”

 

“You better not blow me off for your friends,” Andy said laughing.

 

“Na, they’ll understand I think.”

 

Justin wanted to hit the guy. It was an opportunity to spend the whole weekend with his girlfriend and he was talking about hanging out with his friends already. Justin hoped he knew Andy was going to spend most of her time with him and the kids she loved and not her boyfriend. He then knew, as he smiled smugly, that it was going to be an interesting time.

Chapter End Notes:
And so the boyfriend drama begins...haha


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story