Minutes to Midnight

“I can do this,” Simone Hayes muttered into the dark April night. She took a deep breath and wished like hell that she had thought out this scenario better. She eyed the pack of cigarettes lying on the passenger seat with interest; maybe a jolt of nicotine would stop her hands from shaking. No, she had never been much of smoker anyway, except for the one time in college.

A pair of headlights beamed in her rearview mirror. Suddenly disoriented, Simone tensed as her breath hitched in anticipation of him. A moment later she slumped against her backseat, exhaling a breath of relief when the car traveled past her.

Simone removed her hairclip and ran a hand through her shoulder length auburn hair, then met her hazel eyes in the rearview mirror. “You’re going to do just fine,” she told herself. “This is the last time.” The traffic light turned green, and she took a left on the next street.

Murky clouds loomed in the sky as the anticipation of rain hung over her. She wished she had worn something that was a little less snug and a little less revealing, but right now she had to force herself to remain calm.

A horn blared. Simone instinctively glanced back looking for him. She jumped and eased off her breaks when she noticed that the light had turned green again. The car behind her moved into the left lane and breezed past her.

She shook her head in stupidity at her frightened reaction, but had a hard time convincing herself that it wasn’t some sort of sign. Nevertheless, she pushed the thoughts to the back of her mind and continued on the road to her destination.

Simone smiled as she increased the volume on the song that currently played on the radio. Her eyes closed as she experienced every word of the sad love song. Tears gathered at the back of her eyes. After this last encounter they would never see each other again and she would go back to the life she was “supposed” to have.

Before she had the chance to relive any bittersweet memories Simone noticed a pair of headlights in the distance as she pulled into the parking lot. She looked down at the symbol of love displayed on her left hand and a sense of sudden guilt consumed her. This isn’t right. For a few minutes, all she could do was listen to the insistent pounding of her heart against her ribcage as she contemplated turning around.

A slew of shamefaced emotions attacked her conscience, but she pushed them all aside and focused on the task at hand. Besides he was waiting for her; she recognized the black car with tinted windows ahead. She unbuckled her seatbelt and slowly stepped out of the car.

Simone stared at her feet as she walked towards his car; he had yet to get out. She relieved her sweaty palms on the sides of her dress. He didn’t immediately roll down the window when she reached his car. In fact, she was pretty sure he took the time to appraise her with his eyes- she hoped he had took the time.

She had worn a wrap around white dress (his favorite color on her) with a low cut neckline that displayed a generous amount of cleavage. The hem of the dress stopped above her knees to show off her well toned legs.

He slightly lowered the window to greet her or so she had thought, instead, he instructed her to turn around and she obeyed. “Nice,” was all he said followed by a, “Thanks.” Simone assumed that he was thanking her for wearing a backless dress. The small of her back had always been an area of admiration for him. While his eyes perused her she took the time to gather her bearings before turning back around to face him.

By now he had rolled the window all the way down and she met his intense gray-blue gaze head on. She took another deep breath as she noticed a hint of sadness in his eyes; he too knew that after this night it was over.

“This is it, Moni.” His presence overwhelmed her as he suddenly stepped out of the car with a bouquet of white orchids (her favorite flowers). Simone graciously accepted the floral arrangement from him, bringing it to her nose to inhale the intoxicating scent.

“Thank you.” Simone smiled draping an arm around his waist to leave a chaste kiss on his cheek. She hadn’t wanted to be affectionate with him just yet, but she had become obsessive with the desire to touch him.

When she wanted to move out of the embrace she had initiated, he tightened his arm around her waist, rubbing those small circles she loved so much against the small of her back.

Slowly, she slid her arms up his chest and locked them behind his neck. She rose to her tip-toes and quickly pecked him on the lips before she could warn herself not to. When he attempted to initiate more, she reluctantly lowered to the ground.

“C’mon let’s go inside.” Simone hooked her arm through his elbow and pulled him towards the entrance before the situation became more awkward.

~*~*~*~

They said that this would be the last time. They agreed that this would be it. She wanted this to be the last time. He wanted this to be the last time.

Justin Timberlake glanced over at her sitting at the table and sighed. It’s the only way.

The insistent voice of the bartender interrupted his reverie. “What can I get you?”

“A scotch straight and a mango martini.” The words flowed effortlessly off his tongue as he recounted their favorite drinks.

As he patiently waited for the drinks, he took the time to observe Simone fidgeting nervously with the ring around her finger. The soft iridescent lighting had emitted a glow on her toffee-colored skin tone, making the crowd disappear in his eyes.

His mind started to drift back to the day he had first laid eyes on her but it was cut short when the bartender announced his order.

Justin walked back to the table and joined her. He watched her lift the glass to her lips to take a tentative sip.

“You look beautiful Moni.” Simone smiled at his term of endearment. She had once told him that only he referred to her as Moni instead of Simone. He knew that bit of information would remain true to his heart forever.

Justin followed her gaze as it again dropped to the band around her finger. He glanced down at his own ring before reaching for her hand, cradling her small one in his larger one.

Intent on taking her mind off the ring, he spoke his next words carefully, “Let’s not think about that tonight and just enjoy our last night together.”

Her smile was slow to return as she casually glanced around her surroundings and Justin knew she had wanted to dance, after all it was their song. “Always and Forever” by Heatwave. A song directly tied to some of the greatest moments between them. A sweet serenade on so many occasions, but apparently always and forever wasn’t always and forever.

Simone felt breathless and almost weak as she rose and strutted ahead of him on the crowded dance floor.

Justin dropped his head and a hint of a smile lifted at the corners of his mouth as he followed behind her, enjoying the view of her swaying hips.

Simone found a spot and turned to face him as he opened his arms in a welcoming embrace.

He placed his hands on the small of her back and pulled her body close to his. Slowly, their bodies rocked falling into a natural rhythm, reminiscent of their love making.

“This is nice.” Justin whispered softly into her ear causing Simone to close her eyes at the shiver of delight that coursed through her body.

Simone eyes remained closed against the stab of pain. She allowed her cheek to rest against his chest and inhaled his intoxicating scent. Tonight she would let herself be taken to another time and a place where the jewelry on her finger didn’t matter.

~*~*~*~

As soon as the elevator doors closed, Justin pulled Simone into his arms with clear intent. He stroked the delicate curve of her chin with his forefinger, titling her head up to look at him, the space between their mouths intimate. Close.

“I want you to stay the whole night and be here in the morning.” He whispered, his breath lightly fanning against her lips.

“Justin…I can’t.” She had only promised him one night, staying any longer would be too much for her to handle. It would be too much trouble.

Simone raised her hand to stroke his cheek, the passion between them simmered as she fought to not kiss him with fierceness.

“Please.” The plea whispered from his lips like a soft kiss on the small of her back and she succumbed to his request.

She stepped around him, maneuvering her left hand to the panel of buttons. She used one shaky finger to press the number that would soon lead them to the hotel suite where they would eventually spend their last night.

Simone stared at the set of numbers for what seemed like hours before she felt Justin’s presence behind her. His hands clasped onto her shoulders as he turned her around. He grasped her face in his hands and caressed her cheeks while gazing into the depths of her eyes, trying his hardest to interpret their emotions.

Meanwhile, Simone was on edge as his fingers lowered to her nape. She sighed against the feather-like touches. She was going to truly miss those hands.

Justin released a thick breath of air and rested his chin atop her head. He took a moment to think before finally speaking. “So is this really it?”

Simone flinched as the cold metal of his wedding band touched the sensitive hairs on the back of her neck. She gnawed on her bottom lip prepared to reply until the elevator bell chimed and the doors slid open. As she moved to exit the elevator, Justin grabbed her around the waist. He wouldn’t let her go. He leaned in closer to her. She turned her head just as his lips brushed against her forehead, the side of her face and finally her lips.

Initially, the kiss was so light that she could barely feel his lips, but it wasn’t long before his lips became possessive. The kiss deepened as stars spun in her head and she became lightheaded. She grasped onto his shoulders to keep herself from melting to the floor. Justin tightened his arms around her. Intoxicated by the taste of her, he moaned during the passionate tango of their tongues.

Her melodic moans floated through the air as she pressed her breasts against his chest. Everything about him and this kiss felt absolutely right despite the fact that she knew it was absolutely wrong.

Simone slowly extracted herself from the familiar warmth of Justin’s embrace and stepped outside of the elevator, one foot at a time. Crossing her legs at the ankles and her hands behind her back, she faced him. “Yeah…this it.” Immediately, she turned away from the disappointment she knew his gaze would reflect and walked ahead of him towards their hotel room.

Justin spent a few seconds staring at his wedding ring before following her. He groaned. “I guess it’s for the best.”

~*~*~*~

Seconds after the door shut, Simone found her front pressed against the cool door and enfolded in Justin’s wandering hands. She gasped at the first feel of his lips against her nape and her hands rose to stroke his hand that covered her abdomen.

“Damn, I’ve missed you.” He whispered, peppering kisses along her shoulder blades. The light touch of his fingers skimmed her supple skin, tracing love patterns along her unique tattoo of Chinese characters.

Simone gasped as the tight fit of her dress loosened and bunched at her ample hips. “I-I’ve missed you too.” The few months that she had gone without seeing him had done a number on her senses. She had missed him like crazy and apparently so did her body as it soared to new heights from his burning touch.

She shivered at the feel of his hands gliding over her spine, pushing the dress down and over her hips. His hands kneaded the curve of her spine and massaged the flesh of her hips. Her entire body tingled and her skin felt scorched and prickly where his hands pressed into her thick thighs.

“When did you get this one?” He was referring to the new tattoo on the back of her left thigh. It was an intricate butterfly in black ink. She had always loved butterflies.

Simone fumbled for a response as his palm trailed along the insides of her thigh over the tattoo. “Um…last week.” She said in a hitched breath.

When the dress finally pooled around her feet, Justin released a sigh of pleasure. Every impulse in his body demanded that he rip her dress off and toss her on the bed.

As much as he loved taking the slow route and savoring her sweet luscious body, he had to admit it was pure agony. However, this was his last night with her and he was going to make sure it never ended.

Justin lowered to his knees to help her step out of her dress. He eyed her womanly curves with his greedy gaze.

“Beautiful.” His endearment ended with a kiss on the small of her back and his knuckles brushed against the rise of her butt. She gasped and grew still.

“Justin…” She arched her back to give him better access to her skin as he rained blazing kisses over the entire span of her back.

Justin smiled. It had been an eternity since he’d heard his name spill from her lips with such passion. A part of him wondered whether all of this was a dream, yet she felt too good and tasted even better to be a figment of his imagination.

His tongue drew slow seductive circles on the small of her back and she released a moan. Her moan was cut short as he nudged her thighs apart to gain access to the treasure between them.

“Oh lord.” She panted and she was surprised by how much she trembled. Her eyes rolled to the back of her head as his hands roamed over the supple curves of her backside, pulling her thong underwear down. The sexy lingerie settled around her feet.

Justin stood to his feet just as Simone groaned in irritation and he laughed into the back of her head.

“You’re not fair.”

Justin turned her around to face him, erasing her frown with a tantalizing kiss. He could still taste a hint of mango on her tongue as he swirled his own around the roof of her mouth.

And just when she thought she couldn’t take anymore, his mouth left hers to trail down her neck and settle on her nipple through the silk fabric of her bra. He moved the lacy cups aside and replaced them with his mouth.

Instantly, her knees weakened as she gasped for breath and dug her fingers through his soft hair. Justin looped one arm around her waist to hold her up and raise her on her toes, giving him better access to both of her aching breasts.

“Yes, yes, yes.” She whispered huskily grounding her hips against his hardness.

“You like that baby?” He bathed the other breast with slow flicks of his tongue.

“No…I love it.” Suddenly overwhelmed, Simone felt tears burn the back of her eyes. Briefly, she wondered how she would be able to live without him in her life.

Justin looked up as a tear escaped and rolled down her cheek. He caught her tear with the tip of his fingers, “Now baby don’t do that.”

“Justin this isn’t right.” Even as she spoke the words she knew that they held no truth to them. Simone believed that if she didn’t go through this, it would make it easier to leave him behind.

“Moni…you promised us one last night. Please…” His voice trailed off as words failed him.

“Okay.” She had no choice but to accept, after all she had promised. Simone leaned up on her toes and kissed his lips.

~*~*~*~

Justin worked his way down every delicious curve of her body- her skin was as smooth as silk underneath his hands and lips.

“Ooh that feels so good.” She gasped. This was easily the best full body massage she had ever had.

He lazily roamed his hands down the blades of her shoulders, then kneaded the supple skin along the planes of her back, and then finally cupped her curvy backside, giving it a gentle squeeze.

He reached for a bottle of warm oil and watched in delight when the fragrant oil kissed her back. Simone jumped at the new feeling and divine scent. She sucked in a small gasp as his warm tongue touched her back with slow deliberate strokes; Justin polished it clean of oil.

Vaguely, she was aware of the soft moans escaping her mouth, but as soon as she teetered on the edge of a climax he flipped her over and swallowed her cries of pleasure with his lips.

She was so lost in his lips that her body arched against him like a cat on its own accord, raw heat consuming her. His hands moved over her in a familiar way, as if he touched her like this everyday when in fact it had been months. It all felt so right that when his tongue slid into her mouth she didn’t want to ever stop.

Simone kissed him with abandon, her nails skimming down his back as he ground his erection against the place she wanted him most.

Justin extracted his lips from hers to stare down at her. “Moni look at me.” He reached for her hand, intertwining his fingers with hers and pressing his body closer.

The beautiful contrast of their skin tones was highlighted by the thin slivers of moonlight that filtered through the blinds.

Simone opened her eyes to reveal unshed tears. She didn’t even know why she was crying. Maybe because she wished that they could go back to that moment where everything seemed perfect and she could have gone to sleep in his arms.

When his lean fingers dipped inside her she nearly fell apart from the pleasure, crying out. At his slow, gentle strokes against her sensitive nub, her breath thinned and her heart beat in staccato.

Her repetitive moans filled his ears like music. He moved his face from the crook of her neck raining kisses down the front of her body. Seconds later, he cradled her hips in his palms.

“No…” Simone panted inching away from him. She knew she would never be able to leave after experiencing that level of intimacy, she never could and Justin knew that.

Nevertheless his tongue replaced where his fingers had been seconds prior. At the intense pleasure, Simone thrust her hips and tried to scramble away from the sensual ministrations of his talented tongue.

His talented tongue performed a series of erotic dances with the bud of her femininity and she instinctively locked her legs around his head. In record time tremors that she had fought to hold back, rippled through her body.

Justin could hear his name fall from her lips like a chant, her soft protests sounding more like cries of ecstasy. He had to place a palm on her abdomen to keep her from moving too much. One of her hands shot down to his arm, her nails digging into his skin.

“Justin… I need you now.” Simone pleaded.

However, Justin had not let her plea deter him. He set out to show this woman that there was no urgency in their time together, they had all night. He was determined that when their bodies came together it would be something that neither of them would ever forget when they moved on with their lives.

Simone’s breathing was shallow. She held his arm so tight that she may have drawn blood. She felt herself sway as she tried to gain her bearings, but Justin was relentless, maintaining a firm grip on her as his mouth plundered the tangy sweetness from her body, drinking as much as he could.

She squealed with reckless abandon, sputtering mindless words of love as her first orgasm crashed into her.

Justin rested his head against the inside of her thigh panting heavily. He kissed the intricacy of her tattoo then allowed his lips to kiss a path back up her body.

“I love you.” She whispered before she could take the words back.

He thanked her by claiming her lips in a deep and intimate kiss and eased into her moist heat at the same time.

Simone tore her mouth away to gasp at the pleasure of just how well he fit inside her. Moaning low, she desperately clung to his arms, biting her lower lip to stop herself from screaming out.

Justin found his resting place against her neck again. He nipped at the perspiration-coated skin with his teeth. “You’re going to miss this aren’t you?” He stole the response from her lips as he slowly and sensually grinded into her. “Huh?” Simone thrashed her head against the pillows.

“No.” She finally forced out. Justin chuckled low and huskily at her absurd reply.

“Uh huh, I love you too my little liar.” He raised his head to suck hungrily on her bottom lip as he glided deeper. Simone clawed his biceps, holding on for the ride. She tried to match him stroke for stroke, the sensation of being filled becoming more delicious with each thrust.

They had begun to fall into a solid rhythm of rocking, grinding, stroking, and gliding; a symphony of moans, pants, and groans, until Justin opened his mouth to speak.

“Well, you might not miss this but I damn sure will.” He breathed against her parted lips.

“Of course this is the only thing you need me for.” She flexed her hips up against his. Justin thrust back, offended by her accusation.

“Simone.” He paused as pleasure halted his words. “We never had time for much more than that. You were too busy for me.” He reached down to lift a smooth thigh to his waist to deepen the grind.

“I was busy trying to make my marriage work.”

“That’s funny then why are we here?” He lifted her other thigh to join its counterpart so that he was surrounded by their pillow-like softness.

“Because I made a promise to you.”

“Oh yeah, but you make and break promises.” He spied her shiny wedding band. “How about the promises you made six years ago to your husband?”

Immediately, Simone squeezed her eyes shut, partly against the pang of desire that rushed through her body and partly against the guilt she felt for not fulfilling her duties to her marriage. Fortunately, however, that and her relationship with Justin would be over tomorrow.

When Justin finally fell silent, she locked her ankles behind his back and settled her hands upon his shoulders as the movements between them became more forceful, more passionate. More intense, reminiscent of their first night together, yet without the expectations of the end hanging over them.

“You didn’t take much pride in your vows either, Mister” She just had to open her mouth.

“I love my wife.” His eyes pierced hers. His pelvis bumped hers.

“You sure have a fine way of showing it.” She smirked, thinking how funny it was that they spent so much time having sex that they had to fit their arguments in during it because they wouldn’t have time otherwise.

“Yes, yes I do.” He eventually replied before attaching his palms to her hips and positioning them for his release-seeking thrusts. His fingers dug deep into her skin. Her heels pressed into his lower back. Then, he was drawing back, leaving her empty, only to plunge in again seconds later. His hands settled upon the mounds of her behind, lifting her into him, hard. Simone decided to hiss in response rather than release the scream that was burning inside of her.

Justin had other ideas however. He began to knead and tease her body as if his life depended on it; taking her to that desired high point only to snatch it away.

“Damn you Justin…” Frustrated, Simone pounded his chest.

“My bad babe.” He chuckled in the form of a moan, yet, his voice was strained. Finally, he decided to put them both out of their misery. He locked his hands underneath her thighs and fastened his lips to the side of her neck. He thrust with the intensity she demanded as he rocked them to sexual fulfillment.

Staring at her, he saw the desperate need, the vulnerable passion in her eyes as she begged for more. Justin shamelessly grinded even deeper, sinking his palms in the flesh of her behind. Her body tensed and she bucked against him. Suddenly, she was convulsing around him.

Simone wrapped her arms around him and they shared an urgent kiss. Seconds later, a burning, yet pleasant sensation welled up inside her, and a scream caught in her throat as she succumbed to pleasurable release. The moment Justin followed behind her; she was attacked by a surge of tears. She felt guilty because she felt so damn good.

~*~*~*~*~

The minute Simone heard Justin’s deep even breaths; she crawled out of bed and dashed to the door where her dress lay in a white puddle upon the doormat. Frantically, she slipped on her undergarments and dress. She was in such a hurry that she had actually put the dress on backwards the first time around.

Her eyes darted to Justin’s sleeping form and she raked her fingers through her hair. She knew she had promised him that she would stay until the morning, but she just couldn’t risk it. Especially, since come twelve am tomorrow the end of their relationship would be set in stone. However, she couldn’t leave without touching him one last time.

Simone hurried to the bed. She took a moment to observe the peacefulness of his expression. It was the complete opposite of her tortured one.

Simone sighed and lowered her mouth to his. She pecked him on the lips and the fact that he actually responded to her in his sleep was almost her undoing. A tear slid from her eye as she whispered goodbye while staring down at her wedding ring. She fumbled with set of bands; her engagement ring and wedding ring, before attempting to yank them from her slim finger. She struggled for a bit because she had been wearing the set for so long without removing them once. Her chest heaved with sobs when she finally she stood by the bedside sans her precious rings.

“Simone.” Justin who had been awakened by her cries was now making a move to sit up and attend to her.

“Oh God.” Her eyes widened. Her lips trembled. She rushed for the door again and bent low to snatch up her shoes. She exited quickly, but not before she tossed the rings onto the large bed.

Justin reached forward to scoop up the rings. He twirled them between his fingers and then stared at his own. He fell back on the bed, exhaling a deep breath, he groaned, “Damn, it’s really over.”

~*~*~*~*~

Scream, at the top of your lungs, if your body's feeling right
Scream, at the top of your lungs, if your body's feeling right

Although, the sounds of Timbaland blasted from her park car, it was Simone’s regretful sobs that seemed to drown out the music. The song asked her to scream so she did. A scream much different from the ecstasy-filled one she hollered at the top of her lungs just a few minutes ago.

Simone lifted her left hand and spied the lightness of her bare finger where her rings usually appeared. She hissed and detached her cell phone from its charger. She hit number one on her speed dial. It rung twice before the familiar husky voice came on the line. Yet, his tone was raspy with emotion.

“Can you come to the parking lot...please.” She quickly ended the call. Not more than five minutes later, she saw him. He was also dressed in the same outfit he donned earlier. And he too had been fighting back tears. The redness of his eyes was evidence.

Simone slipped out of the car and quickly shut the door. She walked up to Justin on unsteady legs and bare feet. He held out his hand to her.

“You left these.” Her rings glittered in his palm. Trembling fingers reached to retrieve them.

“Thank you-”

“No let me.” He grasped her left hand, holding it up, so that he could slide the rings on one at a time. When they were in place, Simone finally released the breath that she was withholding. Shortly after, her arm fell to her side. Justin folded his arms across his chest and stared intently at his wife.

“You know our divorce is final in two hours.”

Simone nodded looking down at her bare toes rather than her husband. Once again, she didn’t want to see the sadness in his gaze. They had agreed that they would have this one last night together for old time sake despite the fact that they had been separated for four months. The agreement was made more out of fear that their lives were about to change rather than the fact that they had deep feelings for each other. At least, that is what they had convinced themselves to believe.

Now, they stood in front of each other, not knowing what else to say to each other as if they hadn't been married for the past six years. As if, they hadn't spent the last hour taking each other to new heights of passion.

Still, their gazes sparked with ideas of all the what ifs that could've been possible between them. What if they spent more time with each other? What if they stole a moment or two to actually consider having a family, they could have three children by now? What if they had conceived a child tonight?

“Um, I’m going to go now. I have to work early tomorrow.” Figures, Justin thought. It had always been about work between them. She worked too much and he worked too much. They never had time for each other until it was too late. And unfortunately, it had cost them their marriage.

“I can still call you right?”

“Of course.” She finally smiled. “We’re still friends.”

“Friends, yeah…right.” He looked away for a split second. Then, he watched her move back to her car. Again, her swaying hips fixated him. When she was settled in her car, he closed the door after her. There was one more thing he needed to know before she was gone forever.

“You meant what you said about still loving me, right?”

Simone knew she should’ve just ignored him, but she didn’t have the guts to break his heart any more than she already had. “Yeah, I did.”

Justin was suddenly angry. “Then why the fuck are we getting a divorce if we love each other!”

Simone sighed. “For us…love was never enough.” She strapped on her seat belt and turned on the ignition. She gave him the gift of one last teary-eyed glance before she drove off, leaving Justin and her marriage in the dust.


Completed
Kahlymilla is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Minutes to Midnight also liked 142 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story