LoveStoned/I Think She Knows (Interlude)

Justin hated being sick. (Then again, who doesn’t?) And everyone around Justin hated him being sick because he turned into the biggest baby in the world. If it was bad enough (that is, if Justin thought he was dying) his mom would fly out to nurse him back to good health. But this time, she was on a cruise with Paul.

“Campbell,” Justin whined. “You got me sick.”

“I did no such thing,” Campbell said, reaching for the phone when it started to ring.

Justin watched her intently, trying to figure out who she was talking to based on her half of the conversation. After only a few minutes she hung up and turned to Justin, who was looking at her expectantly.

“It was the doctor,” she said.

“And?”

“And . . .”

“Oh my God. It’s bad isn’t it?”

Campbell rolled her eyes. “You big baby. It’s just mono.”

“Mono?! I told you that you were the one who got me sick!”

“You’re the one who insisted on making out and sharing drinks after I was diagnosed!”

“You said you were feeling better!” Justin collapsed back against the pillows of his bed. “Thanks a lot.” He crossed his arms over his chest and stuck his lower lip out in his signature pout.

“Poor baby,” Campbell leaned in to kiss Justin on the forehead. “Jeez, J, you’re burning up,” she said, feeling his forehead with the back of her hand. “Where’s your thermometer?”

“Medicine cabinet,” Justin mumbled tiredly.

Campbell went to retrieve it and placed it under Justin’s tongue, waiting for it to beep.

“What is it?” Justin asked when she pulled it out of his mouth.

“102.”

“102? Is that normal? Do we need to call the hospital?”

“No, J, you’re fine. It’s just a moderate fever. We’ll keep an eye on it, okay?”

“Okay.”

“Now get some rest,” Campbell said, patting Justin’s thigh through the comforter he was snuggled under.

“Come lay with me,” Justin whined, patting the empty space next to him on the bed.

“No way! You’re burning up!”

“No I’m not. I’m cold,” Justin shivered as if to prove it to her.

“Then put a shirt on.”

“It’s too hot.”

“What? You are the world’s biggest baby when you’re sick.”

“And you’re the world’s biggest meanie when I’m sick.”

Campbell rolled her eyes and repositioned herself next to Justin on the bed. “Is that better.”

“Much,” Justin mumbled, already closing his eyes and snuggling deeper into the soft pillow.

Campbell settled in and did the same. For a few minutes nothing was heard but their steady breathing. That is, until Justin spoke up again.

“Campbell?”

“Yeah J?”

“I love you,” Justin sighed.

Campbell’s eyes popped open. She turned to face Justin, but she realized that his eyes were still closed. He was sleeping.

* * *

A few days later, Justin’s fever had subsided. He was still exhausted though.

“And the doctor said that’s to be expected with mono. He said no vigorous or strenuous activity for the next four to six weeks. He also said you’re the biggest baby in the world and I’m the nicest person for taking care of you. He recommended that you give me a massage.”

“What? I’m the sick one, woman!”

“Justin. I have put up with you for over a week now.”

“You always put up with me,” Justin pointed out.

“But you’re not always sick. Do you even remember what you said to me that first day I showed up here and the doctor called to give us a diagnosis?”

“No.”

“You wanted me to lay with you because you were cold, so I told you to put a shirt on and you said that would make you too hot.”

“So?”

“So I laid down with you and you fell asleep and . . .” Campbell trailed off.

“And?”

Campbell took a deep breath. “You told me you love me.”

For a moment, Justin just stood there, dumbfounded. “I said that?”

Campbell threw her hands up in the air, “Gosh, J, don’t sound too repulsed by the idea that you might have said ‘I love you.’”

“Baby, I didn’t mean it like that. I just . . . I can’t believe I would say that.”

“Why? Do you not love me?”

Justin was silent. Was this love? Did he feel for Campbell what he had felt for the other women he had given his heart to? No. Being with Campbell was different. But was it love? Justin thought about it.

“No.”

“No?”

“No, I don’t not love you.”

“What?”

Justin could tell that Campbell was getting frustrated. “I love you!”

And just like she had done only a few days ago, Campbell froze up. Thinking he would say those words and actually having him say them were two very different things. Now that he had said it, she didn’t know what to think. Was it too soon to be in love?

“Campbell, why are you crying?”

Campbell reached up to wipe away the tears she hadn’t even realized had slid down her cheeks. Justin walked over to her and pulled her in for a hug.

“What’s wrong baby?” He asked, petting her hair soothingly.

“Nothing,” she choked out. “I “ I “ I love you too.”

“Baby, you don’t have to say it just because I did.”

“No! I know. I mean it though. I do love you. I’m just . . . How could this have happened so fast?”

Justin rocked her back and forth comfortingly. “I don’t know.” Deep down inside, a part of him was wondering the same thing.

* * *

Those flashing lights come from everywhere
The way they hit her I just stop and stare
She's got me love stoned
I think I'm love stoned
She's got me love stoned

I think that she knows, think that she knows, oh, oh
I think that she knows, think that she knows, oh, oh
I think that she knows, think that she knows, oh, oh

Those flashing lights come from everywhere
The way they hit her I just stop and stare
I'm love stoned from everywhere and she knows
I think that she knows
Oh, oh

And now I walk around without a care
She's got me hooked
It just ain't fair, but I . . .
I'm love stoned and I could swear
That she knows
Think that she knows, oh, oh
She knows, she knows, oh, oh

Oh . . .


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers cheaterj soloj triangles tabloids friendswithbenefits