What Goes Around . . . Comes Around (Interlude)

Justin didn’t really remember the day that things started going downhill very well. He remembered being at some actor’s party “ a friend of a friend of Cameron’s “ Jeffrey Something-or-other? He’d been feeling irritable all day and Cameron had called him on it before they left the house.

“Are you on your period or something?” She asked him.

“What?” He snapped. “No. God, just leave me alone.”

“Justin, what’s wrong?”

Looking back on it, he realized that she was sincerely worried about him. But he decided to be a dick about things just because he was having an “off” day.

“Nothing! Just back the fuck off!”

Cameron had looked hurt as she turned on him and left the room, but Justin just rolled his eyes. “Women,” he mumbled behind her back.

The next thing Justin remembered was arriving at the party. He hated having to pretend that everything was fine, but he knew Cameron would be upset if he made a scene at the party.

“I’m going to get a drink. You want one?” He asked, eyeing the bar.

“Sure, that’d be great.”

Justin didn’t remember returning to Cameron’s side. He remembered sitting at the bar for one drink, which soon turned into two, then three . . . By the time Cameron came looking for him, he was definitely buzzed, if not flat out drunk.

“Baby, I think you’ve had enough,” Cameron said, gently taking the drink from his hand and placing it on the bar.

“Didn’t I tell you to leave me alone?’’ Justin hissed through clenched teeth.

This time Cameron rolled her eyes, dragging him into a secluded corner. “For fuck’s sake, J, what the hell is wrong with you?”

Justin didn’t remember what he said to her. The next thing he remembered was spending the rest of the night hunched over his toilet, Cameron having somehow managed to get him home.

The next evening Justin apologized. He placed candles and rose petals all around their bedroom and made love to Cameron all night long. What he didn’t realize was that this was the beginning of the end.

In retrospect he should have realized that the following week he spent part of at least five of the seven days with Campbell. He and Campbell and Cameron went bowling one day, Cameron had to go film the next three days so he went shopping with Campbell and hung out at her house, and then he had her over to his house that weekend to play board games with him and Cameron.

The week after that, Cameron started spending time with “ was it John? Jordan?

The week after that, the cover of Us Weekly read: Cameron and Justin: Open Relationship or Secret Affairs?

At the time, Justin was truly baffled by this headline. He and Campbell were just friends. So were Cameron and Joe/Jim/Jack.

Have Cameron and Justin opened their relationship up to other people? Or are both of them having affairs behind the other’s back? In either case, both have been spotted getting intimate with someone of the opposite sex, and things may be getting serious, a source close to the couple says.

Just this past week, Justin has been spotted out and about with lady friend Campbell Adams, co-owner of the trendy Los Angeles clothing store Infusion. And Cameron has recently been seen eating out with Jacob Delgado, the up-and-coming star of the recent blockbuster Oh Mama.

Our source won’t tell Us what this means for Cameron and Justin, who have been together for over three years. They will admit, though, that “things are heating up “ and not necessarily with whom you’d think.”


Justin just laughed the article off. First the tabloids were sure he and Cameron were going to be married. Now they were certain that they were on the cusp of breaking up. What else was new?

It only got annoying when they managed to make the cover of Star, Us Weekly, People, and the National Enquirer in a two week time span. But still, Justin went on pretending that nothing was wrong.

A month later, Cameron told Justin that she didn’t think things were working out.

“What do you mean?” Justin asked.

“In case you haven’t noticed, we’ve both been practically seeing other people for the past month.”

Justin let this thought sit for a minute. He reflected on the past four weeks. Damn, he thought. “Why did we grow so far apart?”

Cameron laughed. “That’s what I’m supposed to ask you.”

Justin didn’t say anything.

“Look, J, I love you.”

“And I love you,” Justin immediately responded.

“I know you do. But I think that we’ve both got to admit that this relationship has definitely stalled.”

“What do you think we should do?”

“That’s up to you, J.”

“Why is it up to me?” Justin asked.

“I already know what I want. But do you know what you want?”

Two weeks later, Life & Style Weekly ran an article on “The Truth About Their Breakup:”

Weeks before her 3½-year relationship with Justin Timberlake came to an end, Cameron Diaz had a series of meetings with another man “ an LA real estate agent. “She wanted to sell her house and move in with Justin,” explains a friend. “She thought it was time to take their relationship to the next level.”

But when Justin found out about her plans, he told her he just wasn’t ready for that step. Cameron responded by issuing him an ultimatum: Move in together or end the relationship. And to Cameron’s shock and dismay, Justin chose to call it quits. “She was completely blindsided by his decision,” says a friend. “She wanted to build a future with him.”

“She said Justin really hurt her,” adds an insider. “She said he broke her heart.”

After she first began dating Justin in 2003, Cam insisted that she didn’t care about having a husband or starting a family, saying curtly in W magazine, “If I wanted to be married with children right now, I would be married with children right now.” But in truth, friends say, Cameron dreamed of settling down and becoming Mrs. Timberlake “ but played it cool so Justin, nine years her junior, wouldn’t feel pressured. “Her hope,” says a Cameron insider, “was that if she stuck it out long enough and bided her time, he’d eventually pop the question.”

But nothing could have been further from his mind. “He loved Cameron “ and still does “ but he wasn’t interested in getting married any time soon,” says a Justin insider.

What he does seem interested in is playing the field. As Life & Style reported, Justin struck up a romance with* Campbell Adams “ whom he had been spotted out and about with just days after his split from Cameron. When Cameron learned of the budding relationship, she was crushed. Adding insult to injury, Cam also discovered that Justin and Campbell, 26, had engaged in an intense flirtation months before.

“They weren’t physically involved, but they’d been communicating for a while about how much they admired each other and how badly they wanted to be together,” says an insider.

“Cam was still reeling from the shock of the breakup when she heard about Justin and Campbell,” says another friend. “She just can’t believe he’s trying to replace her already. She feels completely betrayed.”*

“She spent years waiting for Justin to grow up,” says the Cam insider, “and now she’s wondering if she wasted some of the best years of her life.”

But as upset and angry as Cameron is, she wants Justin back. “She still wants to spend the rest of her life with him,” says the first friend. “She’s hoping this split is just temporary and that after he’s done sowing his oats, he’ll come back to her. She’s telling everyone she’s going to give him three months to come to his senses and realize what he’s missing.”

Which is why “ despite releasing a joint statement with Justin confirming their split “ Cam’s doing everything she can to hold on to him, including putting off selling the $16 million beachfront home in Oahu, Hawaii, the couple purchased just this past November.

“They’ve agreed to keep it off the market until at least the summer,” says the friend. “By then, Cam’s hoping Justin will have changed his tune and taken her back.”

In the meantime, trying to maintain a friendship with Justin is taking an emotional toll on Cameron. Her friend says she can’t even bring herself to wear the jeans Justin gave her from his fashion label, William Rast. “They still talk a few times a week and were actually supposed to meet for coffee recently, but Cam canceled at the last minute,” explains the friend. “She said that right now, it would just be too painful.”


Justin knew that most of the article was pure and utter bullshit. There had been no such ultimatum from Cameron, and they definitely didn’t own a home in Oahu. But had Cameron been that serious about being with him? Was he too caught up in his friendship with Campbell to notice?

As much as he hated to admit it, these were the questions that kept him up at night.

* * *

Let me paint this picture for you, baby:

You spend your nights alone
And he never comes home
And every time you call him
All you get's a busy tone.
I heard you found out
That he's doing to you
What you did to me
Ain't that the way it goes?

You cheated girl,
My heart bleeded girl,
So it goes without saying that you left me feeling hurt -
Just a classic case,
A scenario,
Tale as old as time,
Girl you got what you deserved.

And now you want somebody
To cure the lonely nights.
You wish you had somebody
That could come and make it right.
But girl I ain't somebody with a lot of sympathy,
You see?

(What goes around comes back around)
I thought I told ya, hey
(What goes around comes back around)
I thought I told ya, hey
(What goes around comes back around)
I thought I told ya, hey
(What goes around comes back around)
I thought I told ya, hey

See?
You should've listened to me, baby
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Because
(What goes around comes back around)
Chapter End Notes:
*[January 29, 2007 Life & Style Weekly]


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers cheaterj soloj triangles tabloids friendswithbenefits