Justin drove him and Olivia to his mother's house. On the way, he called to make sure she was home and let her know he was on his way along with a new friend, and he needed to talk to her about something important 

"Are you sure you are ready for this?" Olivia asks, feeling his nervousness. 

"I don't have a choice. Its past time for her to be honest with me." He states.

Olivia reaches over and grabs onto Justin's hand and feels some of his nervousness ease up. "What is going to be worst? Her finding out that you know about her or you leading her to believe that you are bringing a girl home to break important news like....engagement or pregnancy?" Olivia smiles over at him and gets one in return.

"That is a good question. I guess we're about to find out because here we are." He pulls into the driveway of a very nice and large home. "We come from a long line of family money. That is what I've been told all my life anyway. I wonder now where it really came from." He more mumbles to himself than to Olivia.

They get out of the truck and when Justin comes around to Olivia's side, he grabs her hand. It surprises Olivia, but knows that it somehow comforts him so she goes along with it. They make their way up the sidewalk and notices that Justin's pace slows more as they make their way closer to the front door. He reaches the door and rings the doorbell and follows it with a knock. As they wait for his mom to come to the door, Justin starts fidgeting really bad, bouncing and swaying around. Olivia tightens her grip on his hand, letting him know that she is here for him, hoping it calms him down. He looks down at her and smiles a little and stops moving around. 

It isn't long before the door is swung open and a middle-aged lady with blond curly hair is standing in front of them with only a screen door between them. 

"Justin, its always good to have you come around. Are you staying for dinner?" She asks with a huge smile as she opens the screen door for them.

"I don't know right now. I've come to talk to you about something."

"Well come on in, and why don't you intro-" she cuts off as soon as she focuses on Olivia, her smile immediately disappearing. 

"Mom, this is Olivia Haywood," he ignores the change in her demeanor. "Olivia, this is my mom, Lynn."

"Sweetie, can I talk to you for a minute...alone?" 

"That's not necessary. I believe anything you have to say, you can say in front of Olivia." He raises his eyebrows at her.

"I don't think thats true." 

"I do. Why don't you go ahead and try. You'd be amazed how open-minded she can be." He challenges his mother.

"Justin." She tries one more time but sees that he will not agree to it and sighs in defeat. "How well do you two know each other?" She asks staring at Olivia. 

"Well enough in my opinion. I do think we'll become really good friends" Justin's answer causes a gasp from both women and Olivia looks up at him and nods her agreement.

"Be serious. You don't know her! She's not who you think she is. She's not a good person." Lynn stresses. "You just have to believe me on this one. She's not good."

"Why would you think that? Is it because as my mother, you don't think any female will be good enough for me? Or is it because you're scared I'm going to run off? I know, you think she may be a gold digger to take all of our family's money when she divorces me after only a year of marriage." His mom opens her mouth, but she doesn't speak. She keeps her eyes on Olivia and her stare becomes a glare. Justin moves a couple of steps around his mother and looks around. He stops suddenly and loudly state, "I know what it must be!" 

Lynn looks at her son, but quickly looks back at Olivia. She is afraid to take her eyes off Olivia. "I don't think you'll understand."

"You'd be surprised. You see, I think you don't like her because she's a demon, an evil demon at that." He dares her to deny it.

There should have been a loud thud to go along with Lynn's jaw and the way it fell slack in shock. She looks back and forth between Justin and Olivia. "How...you...you know who she is and you still want to be around her? I thought I raised you better than that?"

"How would that be exactly? Raise me in complete darkness of who I really am, never telling me the truth so I can be lost and confused? People think its hard going through puberty, but what about me? I had developed acne, awkward growth spurts, and to top it all off I could punch through walls, run faster than any car, oh and lets not forget about the deadly electricity that shoots through my body." He says holding his hands up at the end to show flashes of currents flowing between his hands. "Tell me mother. Is this how you raised me? Did you raise me to constantly worry if I would ever be able to hold a girl's hand without electrocuting her? Did you raise me to always wonder if my friends see me as a freak?"

"I'm so sorry." Lynn's tears filled her eyes. "I honestly hoped that you would grow to be normal. Different from me. I didn't want you to have to go through what my family and I had to go through." Tears flowed down her cheek in a steady stream. She looks at Justin with such sadness. "I was hoping that she would never put you through what we went through." She looks over at Olivia, who gives her a confused look.

"Look, no disrespect or offense, but I have no idea who you are. It doesn't surprise me that you may know who I am, but you can't blame everything on me." Olivia tries to reason with her. She can't stop herself from looking over at Justin who now holds a questionable look. 

"You don't remember? I guess there were just too many for you then." Lynn walks closer to her.

A few seconds pass by before Olivia yells out in pain as she grabs her head. Justin moves fast to catch her as she falls to the floor. "Olivia, what's wrong?" He looks up to his mom, "what are you doing to her?! Stop it!" 

Olivia looks up at Justin with tears. She then looks over to Lynn, "I'm so sorry. I didn't know."

"What's going on? What didn't you know?" Justin is worried for her. She's demon, and he assumed it would take a lot to bring her down, and here she is on her knees with tears in her eyes. "Momma, please stop!" He begs her.

"I'm not doing it. This is all her." She states. "She's finally feeling the pain, the fear, the desperation that she has caused so many, that she has caused me and my family. It is coming back on her, and she can't handle it. How does it feel to really know what your victims are feeling? Is this what got you and your brother excited? Seeing the pain you were causing others, fear you created as you hunted others for fun, and the desperation that each felt, hoping you would spare their lives or more so the lives of their loved ones. Is that what got you all excited when you hunted my father down and killed him as he did everything he could to save his family?"

Justin stood up quickly. "Grandpa? I thought you said he had died in a house fire." He looks at his mom in disbelief. He turns back to Olivia, "did you really do those things? I...I don't un-....I don't understand. How are you making her feel them?"

"I'm not. Those are her wonderful special abilities hurting her like that. She used them so many times to hurt others. It was only a matter of time they would turn on her." Lynn sounds satisfied with her pain and as if she is enjoying it.

"What abilities? What could do this to her?"

"So you don't know her as well as you thought?" She questions with an I-told-you-so attitude. "So much for honesty, huh?" She looks down at Olivia where she remains kneeling, but is no longer grabbing her head in pain. She looks back up at Justin who looks like a lost boy in a department store, just looking for someone who can show him where to go, what to do. "Justin, I don't want to hurt you, but you need to know who she really is. She's an empath demon. She can feel your emotions, but at the same time can project any emotion she wants back on you, make you feel however she chooses. She uses them to control people like puppets. She can read your thoughts, know what you are thinking almost before you even do. That is why it was so difficult to get away from her when she was after you. She killed so many people." Lynn walks over to him, and tries to reach out for him, to comfort him, but he quickly pulls away and steps back a couple of steps. 

"Please don't touch me. Just....please." He breathes out.

"Justin, I'll explain everything. Just come sit down, calm down, and I'll talk." Lynn pleads slowly walking into the living room. 

Justin nods sadly and moves to follow his mother. He pauses and looks back at Olivia. She is no longer kneeling for she has sat back with her head down. He stops in front of her and reaches his hand out to her, helping her stand up.

She looks up at him. "I'm sorry. I should have told you a little about me, to warn you. If you would like me to leave, and give you time with your mother, I will understand and go now."

"I don't want you to go. I'm definitely taken aback by the new information, but I trust you when you tell me that you are good now. I need someone here with me when I  talk to her, and you are the only one that can truly understand. Please stay." He holds his hand out to her again, this time for her to take and to hold.

When they walk into the living room, Lynn has some tea set out on the table and cringes when she sees her son holding her worst enemy's hand. Should I tell him everything? Inform him of all your powers? Tell him how you used them so many times and in so many ways just to amuse yourself? Lynn's thoughts are read by Olivia, causing her to lower her head in great shame.

"Momma, I need to know who I am. What am I? Who are you?"

She sighs in defeat. She knows that he needs to know and that she needs to tell him.

 

There is loud joyous music that can be heard through the windows of a home. Anyone walking by would know that whoever lives here is celebrating something. There is music, dancing, and cake. The adults were sitting around talking about whatever passes though their minds, and the children are running around playing whatever game came to mind. 

"Happy birthday, Lynn."

"Thanks, momma. This is the best day ever!" She exclaims with the biggest smile on her face. 

"Well you only turn eight once, right?"

Lynn nods and runs off to join her friends to play a goofy game. The day passes into evening. The guests slowly disappear leaving the birthday girl home with her mom and older brother. 

"Bubba, come play with me!" Lynn yells at her brother.

"No, I'm tired. You're party wore me out. I'm getting old." He smiles at her.

"You're not old. You're only thirteen." She laughs at him, but she isn't hurt by his rejection. She just goes along playing with her new dolls and toys she got earlier in the day. She is skipping around on the front porch when she looks out and sees her father approaching from the woods. He's walking quickly, but she assumes its so he can get to his precious princess.

"Daddy!" She screams out and runs to him, jumping into his arms. "I hope you got Lily home safely. I'm glad you are back. You can play dress-up with me. I'll dress up in all my pretty new clothes, and then you can tell me how pretty I am," she rambles on with such great excitement. She barely breathes between her words.

He doesn't say anything. He just holds her as he walks them to the house. When they get inside the door, he places Lynn down on the ground and leans down to her level. "Listen, princess, I need you to listen to me and do me a favor. Go get all your pretty clothes and put them in your travel bag."

"Why, Daddy? Are we going on a trip for my birthday?" The girls eyes lit up.

"Its a surprise. Now go and tell your Bubba to do the same." He tells her and stands back up to go search for his wife.

"Joy?!" He yells out. "Joy, where are you at?"

"I'm right here." She smiles at him when she comes around the corner. "I'm exhausted. Today was a long but happy day." She opens her arms to wrap around her husband but he does not move. "Henry? What's wrong? What happened while you were gone?"

"Joy, you must get your things. I've told the kids to do the same. I need you to get some clothes, grabbed the kids and we need to get out of here now." 

"You're scaring me. What's going on?"

"Just do it. I'll check to see if the kids are finished with theirs. Hurry!"

He leaves her to go find their kids in their bedrooms. Lynn has all of her dresses thrown around. She's upset because they won't all fit in her case, but Henry tells her to pick her favorite and only take those. He goes to his son's room to check on him and he's in there just throwing a few pairs of pants and shirts in haphazardly with some undergarments. After seeing the kids are following directions, he goes to his own bedroom to find his wife struggling to pack as she shakes in fear.  He walks up and pulls her into a hug and kisses the top of her head to calm her.

"We must go." He simply states, closing the case and carrying to the front door, calling out to his kids to meet him there.

"Where are we going?" Lynn asks still excited about the surprise visit.

"We are going to go on a long trip," is all he says as he grabs Lynn's small bag in his other hand. 

The small family walk outside and stop when they see a young beautiful woman standing in their front yard, watching them with a curious smile.

"Henry?" Joy questions.

"Henry, you weren't leaving were you? You would be dearly missed." The young woman speaks out as she steps forward.

As she moves forward, the family can see three men move forward, but stay behind her.

"Please, just leave my family alone! They've done nothing wrong. It's not fair to them. If you have to, punish me but leave them alone." Henry pleads with the woman.

"Now, now, Henry. I believe we could have prevented all of this. You are the one that chose to go against her wishes. You knew the consequences, yet you still chose to do as you did. Don't make me out to be the bad guy." The woman moved even closer. "You know you only made this more difficult, running as you did, but I have to admit you did make it more fun and interesting for me." She laughs. "And because you play the game so well with me, I'll give your family a small head start. We'll say three minutes. Thats fair I think. You, on the other hand, must stay behind. Keep me company." She smirks.

Henry closes his eyes tight and nods. He turns to see his family. His daughter is no longer wearing a smile, but a look of fear and confusion. His son's face is covered with amazement toward the woman, but grief for his father. His wife's face shows so much, grief, anger, fear, and love. 

He gives them all a tight hug and shares his love. When he got to his wife, he hugged her tighter and longer whispering in her ear.

Joy grabs their children and leaves the porch to get away. The children are yelling for their father to follow, but he merely shakes his head.

Lynn struggles the most, so Joy grabs hers and Lynn's bags and hand them to her son. She picks up Lynn and carries her away from her father, her hero. As Lynn looks back, screaming and reaching for her father, she sees him shoot electric bolts at the woman, only to have the deflected. The woman slowly makes her way to him, and just as he is almost out of sight, Lynn see her father fall to his knees and then all the way to the ground.

 

"Olivia's mother wanted my brother to join her guard and me to join her in their home to work. My father denied her, wanting more for his family. He didn't want my brother to be trained into a careless killer or me into some object she could use for her own benefits. When daddy denied her, she swore she would kill us all. Olivia, her best hunter, was sent to carry out the order. My father was able to create a spell that would transport us across the world as soon as we were out of sight so we could get away. That's how we got away alive. Daddy wasn't so lucky." Lynn finishes her story, her eyes pouring tears down her face.

Justin's own eyes were watering, cheeks tear-stained. Olivia looks over at him and finds it hard to look at him in such pain. She closes her eyes and turns to face away from him, taking a deep and painful breath. It hurt her to breathe knowing she caused the family so much pain. This makes her understand a little about herself. Blake did not deserve to die, but she definitely deserved to lose him. She deserved the pain that she felt from the loss and the loneliness that followed. This family lost so much, and she knows that this isn't the only family that she did this to. 

"I...I...I have to go," she stumbles over her words and she nearly stumbles over her own feet on her rush to get out of the house. She needs to get away from them, get away from their thoughts, their emotions. She feels like she is dying, and its her own fault. 

 

 

 

 

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story