The door to the apartment opens and slams shut. The heavy footsteps can be heard making their path from the entrance to the bedroom. Alyssa watched from where she was sitting on the couch watching some cheesy made-for-tv movie. She is aware that Olivia had gone to talk with Justin, so this cannot be a good sign. 

Alyssa gets up and makes her way to check on Olivia. The door is open, so she can watch without disturbing. She quietly stands in the doorway and watches as Olivia lies on her stomach sideways across her bed with her head hanging off. She appears to be absentmindedly picking at the carpet, out in her own world.

"You can come in. I heard you coming, I feel your worry, and I need someone to talk to." Olivia rolls over and onto her side to face her sister.

Alyssa nods and joins Olivia on the bed. She sits at the foot in indian style, waiting for her to open up. 

"Justin's mom knows who I am."

"Well didn't you assume she would. I mean as a fellow demon and all. You did say you were pretty infamous, family very well-known and all, right?" Alyssa asks, knowing there is more to the statement.

"I did assume she would know my name, but I didn't plan on her knowing me on a personal level. I didn't recognize her at first. I should have, but she was right." Olivia's thoughts are randomly put together, and Alyssa is doing what she can to piece them together in understanding. "She was right about me. There were so many, and I can't remember most of them. She remembers me though. When she was eight, on her birthday, I killed her father while he was trying to save his family. They got away. I do remember hunting them down afterwards, sure I'd find them, and I got so pissed because I couldn't. Others paid the price for my rage. There's no way Justin could ever forgive me. I wouldn't be able to forgive me." She summarizes the story for Alyssa, not wanting to get into the details. 

"You don't know. He trusted you enough to take you along to go see his mom. He trusted you enough to go talk to his mom in the first place. If it weren't for you, he wouldn't know who he is and where he comes from. Today was a huge breakthrough for him, and that is because of you. The conversation didn't go as you had liked. You turned out to be the villain, but you knew you were going to be the hero.Just see it this way, because of you, he is able to talk to his mom about his life, where he comes from, and maybe for the first time in his life, know and understand and perhaps even accept who he is. You helped. If he can't see that, then maybe, just maybe, you weren't meant to help him any more than what you already have." Alyssa rubs her sister's back soothingly. 

"I killed his grandfather. He has never known his grandfather and its all because of me. His mom has lived in fear most of her life because of me." Olivia mumbles into her arms as she is lying with her face the bed. She lifts her head and looks at Alyssa. "Would you forgive me if I had done that to you?"

Alyssa is quiet. She does not know how to answer it. She wants to tell Olivia that she'd forgive her and that she's a good person and that everything will be perfect, but she doesn't know. "I can't really say. I'm sorry. I wish it weren't like this, but you can't change. Just learn from it." 

Olivia rolls her eyes. "Learn from it? Seriously, this is not some case of not studying for a test and then failing it."

Alyssa rolls her eyes in return and gets up off the bed. "Life sucks for us all. Granted, you were the reason why some people or whatever they were had bad luck, but you are good now. All you can do is continue to be good and try to do what you can to help out." 

Olivia's cell phone rang and vibrated across her bedside table. She rolls over and grabs it to see who would be calling her.There are only a handful of people who have her number. She takes a deep breath in when she sees the name flash across the screen. 

Alyssa notices the look that is similar to panic. "I'll be in the other room." She walks out and shuts the door.

Olivia opens her phone and places it up to her ear but doesn't say anything. She hears his voice and wants to say something, but her voice seems to be nonexistent at the moment as she tries to figure out what she's going to say to him. After he calls her name out several times and gets no response he finally yells into the phone causing her to jump. "I'm sorry. Hello," she responds with a flat tone.

"Well hello to you. I thought maybe the phone was broken or you were deaf. You ok?" He laughs.

"I'm fine. I should be asking you that? Why are you calling me? I expected you to hate me forever."

Justin's laugh gets louder. "I'm okay. After you left, me and my mom talked a bit about all that happened to her family and all of us. I will tell you the truth, the woman despises you, but I guess I can understand where she's coming from. I'm calling you because you left in a big hurry, and you look very upset. I wanted to make sure that you were okay or if there is anything I can do because I don't hate you. I was not lying when I told my mom that I believe that we will be really good friends." He tells her calmly.

Olivia is stunned. "How can you not hate me? I killed your grandfather just because my mom told me to and I enjoyed it. Your mom had to run for her life, and I was pissed that I couldn't find her so I could kill her too. I would tear my head off quite literally if I were you."

"Well as fun and gruesome as that all sounds, again, I do not hate you. I won't lie, I'm surprised to find out that you were the reason that he died so long ago, but I did not know him so I can't say that I feel a great loss with the new information. I mean no disrespect to him, but I did not know him. As for my mom, he got away and she is alive and healthy. That is all that matter now. Obviously, you don't want to still kill her so there's no harm from where I can see. I do want to talk and get to know each other. I may not want details, but a few stories would be nice, so there's no more big surprises, plus I'm sure that Rachel and Trace would love them."

"I suppose I can do that. I do owe you."

"How about I call up everyone and cancel the big cookout for now, and instead you come over and just hang out with a small group and you can share some stories and show off these cool abilities that you apparently have and neglected to tell us about." Justin teases and Olivia cannot control the smile that spreads across her face.

"That'd be nice. I'll bring Alyssa along, if you don't mind. I'm sure she'd like to hear some stories." Olivia says and Justin has no rejections to it. "Also, I think I owe you one more thing."

"You don't owe me anything at all," he insists.

"Just one thing. How about I help you get full and complete control over your powers? That way there's no more worrying about consequences when wanting to hold a girl's hand or kissing a beloved's lips." She offers him. "I can also teach you how to use them in fights. Non-fatal ways against humans to defend yourself and your loved ones, and more powerful ways if you ever need to use them against the 'special' ones, including me. Ya know, if you ever were to need to." She wants him to be able to not fear his powers, but own them. 

Olivia fears herself most of the time. She fears that she will lose the battle, that her genes, what she was born into, will take over. She cannot bear to think that she will be too weak to stay good, so she wants to make sure that Justin is ready to fight her if it becomes necessary. He needs to be able to fight her powers and be willing to do whatever it takes to keep everyone safe. Most importantly, she knows that one day her pursuers will find her, and she wants to know that everyone will be safe against them. They will come after them to get to her. Justin needs to know how to keep this from happening.

Justin's face lit up at the thought of being able to control his abilities and be able to be as normal as he can get. "That would be great. I just have to make one request. We don't involve the others, at least not for now. I'd like to know everything is all under control before they talk you into letting them train and all." He knows his friends well enough to know that they will do anything to be there to watch and jump in and learn whatever looks cool to them. 

"I promise I won't involve them without your permission unless I believe it is in their best interest." Olivia gives her word with a solid nod as if he could see it through the phone and Justin hears the definite tone in her voice and happily accepts this.

"Would you mind coming over tonight so we can talk? I'd like to talk to you a little about what happened with my mom and I'd liked to get an idea on what you have in mind for training."

Olivia agrees and makes plans to be over after dinner. She wants to talk to Alyssa and hear what she thinks about all of this and tell her that she'd like her to go over there sometime and get to know Justin and his friends. Of course, Alyssa is excited at the thought of Olivia getting out and being around people, and also learning to use her abilities that she seems to hate so much to help someone else. This could be interesting, so Olivia has no problem in convincing Alyssa to come along sometime. 

***

"I want you three gone tonight." Justin declares pointedly more towards Trace and Rachel than at Cara. "I'm not kidding either."

"Oh, hot date?" Rachel wiggles her eyebrows with a big smirk across her face. "Need the place all to yourself? Plan on taking advantage of the large space and great acoustics this place has?" The teasing made Trace almost fall over laughing.

"Thats so crude, Rachel." Cara rolls her eyes but Justin does see a hint of a smile on her face.

"The reason is none of your business. This is my house and if I want to be alone then thats how I get it."

"Yeah but i do live in the guest house which is, technically, just an extension to this one so I think I should get to stay in here." Rachel rationalizes with a smug smile.

"I also believe that I can kick you out of both houses if I truly want to." Justin says.

"No fun at all tonight. This must be a really hot date. Good to see you getting out and getting some." 

Justin denies the allegations of a date but the others refuse to believe it. Justin rushes them through dinner, hoping to get them out before Olivia shows up so he can avoid any looks and/or smartass comments. He did not want them to know the details of their plans just yet, so he wanted to get them out of the house. His luck being what it is, just as the three friends start to walk out the backdoor, the doorbells sounds throughout the house.

The three come to a halt and turn to look at Justin with eager faces. They are curious who could be at the door that would make their friend so anxious to get rid of them. The bell rings again, and Justin looks back and forth between the door and his friends.

"Well, aren't you going to go answer that? Wouldn't want whoever is here to leave, would you now?" Trace smirks.

The bell rings for the third time and Justin sighs in defeat as he turns to go to the door. The three amigos made their way into the doorway between the kitchen and living room areas. They watch as the door is slowly opened and the person's back was to them. She had turned to leave after Justin waited so long to answer the door.

Justin calls out to whoever and when she turns the three gasp. Rachel and Trace look at each other with the glee of a high school girl and Cara just stares in shock. Olivia is becoming part of the group quickly, and it makes her uneasy. She finds it extremely difficult to trust her and she can't shake the feeling that something is wrong. 

Justin ushers Olivia into the living room where she sees that she is bring watched closely and becomes uncomfortable. She has to use a little extra resistance to keep herself from reading their thoughts, so she knows everything they are thinking. It isn't fair for them, and she has to continue to remind herself of this. 

"Guys! Please quit staring. Olivia is here so we can talk about some things, so there is no need for you all to be here. You know I'll tell you eventually. Now, go away!" He demands and receives the huffs, groans, and eye rolls from all three as they all turn and leave the house through the backdoor.

"You didn't have to make them leave." Olivia says. She does not want to come in-between this close group of friends. She already feels the strain that she has caused already.

"I did or they would have been on my last nerve by the end of the night, and before you could stop me I'm pretty sure I would have electrocuted them all." He tells her but his small smile lets her know that he is mostly kidding.

"What did you want to tell me about your mother, other than the part that she hates me and wishes a horrible, painful, and torturous death upon me, of course?"

"I want to start out by apologizing for my mother." He starts. Olivia shakes her head and tells him that there is no need for an apology, but he insists. "She was hurt, but she still could have given you a chance to explain or something. I want you to feel like you can talk to me about whoever or whatever you used to be. It may be hard for me to hear, but I want you to be able to talk to me no matter what. I know what its like to not have someone who truly understands having special abilities and powers and impulses that could cause a lot of problems." He looks her in the eyes as he speaks to make sure that she is listening and understanding that he is being sincere. 

"After you left, my mom tried to convince me to never see you again and to do what I could to keep you away from the others, but I won't do that. I do believe that you want to be good. My mom believes that its in your genes to be evil and that you can't run from that, and in the end that is who you are. I, on the other hand, believe that your environment has a huge role in who you are and who you become. You were in an environment that not only encouraged but pushed for violence against others. Your family, who is important no matter who you are, is what pushed this on you. You did what you did for them. I don't know what made you change, and perhaps in due time you'll share with me, but whatever it is, forced you out of this environment and pushed you into a new one." Justin grabs her hand in his and holds onto it. "You are here now, and believe me when I tell you that I will do anything I can to help you and to make sure that your genes do not control you."

Olivia is able to take a deep breath and calm herself. Justin wants to continue being her friend and even wants to be come closer friends. She is relieved on so many levels. So much in fact, she catches herself letting go of his hand and throwing her arms around him in a hug. She soon realizes what she is doing and pulls away to apologize. Of course, Justin waves it off and give her another hug to show her that all is well.

"So what do you think you can teach me?" Justin asks curiously and excitingly. This is the first time in a very long time if ever that he is excited to explore his powers.

"Well, I can teach you a lot of things, but first thing is first. You need to know one important thing. You cannot hurt me. This is important because you are going to want to hold back on some of the exercising and I can't let you do that or it will only hurt you in the long run, or even in the short run on some of them." She attempts a joke and her smiel increases when she sees that Justin enjoyed it. "You need to know what triggers your powers and how to use that to control them. With electricity, I'm going to guess fear and anger. I'll teach you how to use it whenever you want for whatever you want, and you will even be able to control the power behind it." She tells him and he sits there in front of her, very still, trying to comprehend this information. "This means that you can use it to send just enough voltage through someone to cause a tingling sensation all the way up to a single spark will fry someone."

Justin cringes on the last statement. He doesn't want to know how to 'fry someone' but it would be nice for him to know how to keep it form getting there on accident. He just hopes that Olivia will be able to really teach him control. 

"You obviously have some control because you are able to show me without setting anything on fire. I assume you've done this before." Olivia asks and laughs a little when Justin head nods his head in shame. "You may not like some of the methods I have but you have to trust me completely because you need to be able to react in any situation without overreacting

"Um...ok, I trust you. You just have to be patient with me."

Olivia understands and gives no argument. Justin is a good guy. He's got a gentle heart and that will make it difficult for him to do some of the things she's going to ask him to do, but he will need to know that he may have to deal with it in the future. 

"Well you want to get your first lesson in now?" Olivia asks and Justin jumps up. This is the first time she's seen him so excited about something. This could prove to be fun.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story