Author's Chapter Notes:
This one is a short update...but an update nonetheless. :) Hope you enjoy it!

The smell of coffee roams throughout the apartment, and the birds seem to chirp extra loudly this morning which is probably their way of being heard over the yelling coming from the apartment. 

 

"I cannot believe you would say that to him!" Alyssa exclaims as she pours herself a cup of coffee and then joins Olivia in the living room. 

 

"I figured he'd want to know that I know. Maybe he would talk to me about it." She shrugs to show she sees no problem in what she did.

 

"I realize you don't see an issue in this, but you have to realize that if someone doesn't tell you something, it is probably because they don't want you to know. How long has it been since you've had any real contact with someone?" 

 

"Why does that matter? He's not human."Olivia argues, avoiding the question.

 

"It matters because you obviously do not own any social skills if you think that 'he's not human' is an acceptable argument. Whether he is or isn't human does not matter. He considers himself to be one, and maybe you are wrong. Treat him like a human." Alyssa tells socially-challenged half-sister. 

 

The two sit in silence for a few minutes before Alyssa sighs and puts her coffee mug on the table. She turns to her sister and breathes in. "Have you really secluded yourself from people ever since Blake's death?" She asks a little worried that she may be prying too much.

 

"You mean since Blake was killed?" Olivia is asks with slight anger in her voice. Alyssa nods but turns back around to show that she won't push it. It is Olivia's turn to sigh now. "After I lost Blake, I ran. I ran from my parents, from my family, from everything I knew. I didn't stay anywhere for too long, so I saw no reason into getting to know anyone. It's not like I was sticking around. This is the longest I've stayed anywhere." Olivia stares down at her hands as she talks, almost like a small child pouting after getting into trouble. "I guess I could have handled Justin better, but I still don't see why there has to be an issue."

 

Alyssa proceeds to explain the importance of secrets and a person feeling like they are a part of something. A person keeps some information to themselves because they don't truly understand it, or maybe they just don't know how to talk about it so they keep it to themselves. If Justin wants to talk, he will but she cannot force him to and expect him to be comfortable about it.

 

"Besides, I can't help but wonder how you know that Justin is 'not human' if he didn't tell you. And what exactly would he be then?" Alyssa's curiosity is at its peek now. Let's hope it doesn't kill her.

 

"The same way I know everything else about him that I do without him telling me. I know that his last name is Timberlake. I know that his family has lots of money. I know that he has lots of money. I know that he works at a huge software design company. I know that he thought I was beautiful when we first ran into each other, and he thought I was a crazy person afterwards." Olivia explains as if this were all common knowledge.

 

"You know all of that, and he didn't tell you anything about that?"

 

Olivia shakes her head. "He didn't have to."

 

"So how do you know what he is?" Alyssa questions as she leans forward with anticipation.

 

"I've been around his kind a lot while I was growing up. Its not hard to figure it out. I think the sad part is that he isn't sure what he really is. He doesn't know anyone else like. That's why I figured telling him that I knew what he was, that he would feel better about himself."

 

"What is he?"

 

"You would probably, due to TV shows, call him a demon or maybe a 'gifted' person. We always called his kind a nuisance. He has some...um powers, I guess you can say. They don't all have the same kind. He isn't full demon so I'm not sure what he can do. He obviously has a power of some kind or he probably wouldn't even know he was half-demon. One of his parents fell in love with a human and he is the product, a half-breed." Olivia shrugs again. This information does not phrase her a bit, but Alyssa seems to be on the edge with it all. "We found his kind a nuisance, but we found half-breeds to be worthless scum, easy to kill off. They did not possess enough powers for us to care about them."

 

"We? What do you mean? What are you?" Alyssa asks.

 

***

 

"She really said that to you?"

 

Justin paces his living room floor while his close friends sit around watching him.

 

"I just don't know what she means by 'not human.' I'm human, damn it!" He yells out in frustration.

 

"Maybe she was just talking about your gifts. Maybe, she just sensed them. What if she has some herself and thats why she knows you aren't exactly like everyone else." His best friend, Trace suggests trying to ease his friends mind.

 

"You need to calm down, first of all." Cara tells him. "I don't see why you are so worked up about this. She sounds like a crazy bitch to me. Just let it go." She rolls her eyes and flicks her wrist in disinterest, going back to the magazine she was reading.

 

"Don't be such a bitch, Cara." Rachel, Justin's cousin, tells her. "Look, Justin, you have a couple of options. You can either forget about this or you can try to find this girl and talk to her about it. If she is like you, then this could be kind of cool. You can compare your powers and maybe she has a cool one too." She seems excited about the idea of Olivia.

 

"I don't know. What if she's one of those people that don't agree with me having these abilities and is actually wanting to kill me?" 

 

Trace just laughs at his friend. "Paranoid much? You sound like a girl." Of course, the female in the room protest this statement. "Look, all I'm saying is, if she had wanted to kill you, she probably would have instead of giving you notice that she knew."

 

Justin nods as he thinks about everything his friends have told him. They may be right. He is curious how Olivia knew about his abilities without him saying anything. He knows he didn't subconsciously use them. It's difficult to not be aware of that. It would be nice for him to have someone to talk to that actually experiences what he does. His friends are great and very understanding, but it isn't quite the same. 

 

"Alright. I'll try to go out again tonight and see if I happen to run into her again. Maybe I can get some info on her this time around." Justin has made his decision. Let's hope it doesn't end in disaster.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story