Author's Chapter Notes:
Its short, and a lot of dialogue but I figured you would like a small back story. 

Justin had grabbed his jacket and set off to seek out the girl from the other night. Now he is walking around in the darkness of night, searching empty streets and neighborhoods, hoping for a bit of luck. He makes a point to spend time on the location where they had originally run into each other, and then searches the streets where she had detoured him. It has been several hours and night is about to come to an end. "This is ridiculous." He huffs as he throws his hands in the air in defeat. He turns in his spot to return to his home. "I cannot believe I just wasted a hole night. What are the odds that she'd be out again tonight? I could have just imagined her." He tells himself as he walks down the street.

 

"Kind of like you are imagining the person you are talking to right now, or do you have a nasty habit of talking to yourself?"

 

Justin whips around to find Olivia leaning against a building he had just passed, not five seconds ago. She is just leaning, with her arms crossed, while she looked at Justin with a questioning look.

 

"So hallucinations or just crazy?" She asks again with a smile.

 

"I'm not sure. I'm hoping just crazy, and you are real." He states honestly. "Where did you come from? You weren't there just a second ago."

 

"I've been around." She pushes off the wall and walks into the light of the street lamp. "You've been looking for me all night. Want to tell me why you are so anxious to see me again?" She raises her eyebrow.

 

"Why would you think I'm looking for you?"

 

"Well, it night and there isn't much activity going on. Plus, you walked around the same block, where we ran into each other last night, five times. Then, you proceeded to trace our footsteps down all the streets I took us when you offered to walk me home. When no sign of me, you gave up because there weren't good odds of me being out again tonight. I figured at that point, I should help you out." She describes to him his whole night.

 

"You've been following me all this time? Why would you do that and why wouldn't you reveal yourself before now?" Justin is annoyed, frustrated, and very tired from walking around all night.

 

"Reveal myself? Do people really say that?" Olivia asks in humor, but see that Justin is not in a humorous mood. "Well, honestly, I came to find you and when I did, you seemed to be looking for someone yourself. I was curious, and when I realized it was me you were looking for, I became even more curious as to why you would be looking for me." She walks up to him and looks at him as if she were searching for something. "If I'm not mistaken, I would swear that you were extremely upset with me the last time we had a run-in."

 

"I'll admit that you caught me off guard. I was a little offended that you would say I'm not human. I'm just as human as anyone else, just as much as you." He states.

 

"Probably more so." She mumbles back. Justin asks her to repeat, but she just shakes her head and moves on. "I must apologize for my rudeness. I didn't realize what I said would be so hurtful. I'm not used to being around people who care that much. My sister explained to me that it was wrong and I understand I went about it the wrong way, so I'm sorry."

 

Justin is quiet and looks her over, trying to see if she is truly sincere with the apology. After seeing no sign of the contrary, he nods his heads and tells her he accepts the apology. He starts walking again in hopes that she will join along, and she does so. 

 

The walk a couple of blocks before Justin comes to an abrupt halt and turns to Olivia. "What did you mean when you said that I wasn't human? I don't understand it, and it really bothers me that anyone would say or think that about me."

 

Olivia smiles at him as if she were keeping a secret. "Wow. You were holding that one in for a while now. I was expecting the question soon after I revealed myself." She said with a little mockery towards the end. 

 

Justin just stands quietly staring at her. He refuses to say anything else until she answers his question. He wants to, needs to, know what she meant my the comment. One simple statement has bugged him so much over the past 24 hours. 

 

"Like I said before, I didn't mean any offense by it. I was just stating a mere observation." She shrugs her shoulders.

 

"A 'mere observation?' What the hell does that mean? I haven't done anything abnormal." 

 

"I didn't mean...look, I just meant that you aren't like everyone else, and you know that." she sighs.

 

"I'm not sure I know what you are talking about?" He challenges her.

 

"Fine. You are a demon, well half-demon anyway." She rolls her eyes. "I would say it's probably from your mother's side since you have obtained some abilities out of it. What are yours anyway?"

 

"Demon?! I am no demon, and my mother has nothing to do with this. She is definitely not a demon." He is furious now and regretting the decision to look for her again.

 

He turns back to where he was going and starts to walk swiftly back home. He will forget this whole thing and go back to living his life. He cannot seem to think of a reason as to why he even agreed to do this in the first place. His friends convinced him that he would find some answers, and instead he has only been insulted and called a demon. 

 

He gets quite a ways before Olivia runs up from behind him. "I'm sorry again. I shouldn't have called you a demon. It is what I am used to and I must remember that you are not. I realize that you may refer to it as 'gifted'. You have special gifts or abilities that you have inherited. I don't mean to imply that you are some evil being. I, also, don't mean to imply anything horrible about your caregiver. You obviously care for her, and there is a special bond between you to. I was just stating what I know through experience. With someone who is..." she seems to have a difficult time coming up with the correct way to express her thoughts "mixed?" She questions this word after receiving a confused look. "I figured half-breed would be terrible to say. I'm sorry. I'm not good at these social things. I've learned that when someone gifted and someone who is not mate...um, fall in love and share a child," she changes her wording quickly, "that in most, if not all, the child takes most characteristics from the mother. So in your case, you would get your abilities, or lack of, from your mother."

 

Justin listens to all that she has to say. After all, she seems very informed about it all. "Why demon?"

 

The question was short and seemed simple. Olivia knew what he meant though. Why did she choose to call him a demon? Why can't he just be 'gifted'? He's not evil, and his mother is one of the most generous and most giving people he knows? How can she be demon? Besides, she doesn't have any abilities, so she has to be wrong.

 

"Demons are where your abilities derive from. Demons are all over. They hide amongst humans as a form of camouflage. Most use this to get to their enemies easily. Many use it as an escape from their enemies, and very few use it to become human, in a way. I assume your mother may have been one of these few. These usually find that they do not wish to be who they are, don't follow their basic instincts, and want to be good. They want to live a normal life, fall in love, have a family, and die like the rest of those around them." She tries to explain in the easiest way she knows how without hurting him any more than she has. "When did you realize that you were different?"

 

"I was thirteen. All my friends were going through your normal puberty. They started getting acne, they started having growth spurts, and they started being attracted to girls more and more. They were going through an awkward stage. Mine was different. I started to feel different, but I just assumed it was the puberty like everyone else said and like my parents explained to me, but it wasn't." 

 

The pair were walking again, but very slowly, as if Justin needed to get all of this off his chest and out of his mind and didn't want the walk to end too soon.  He didn't know how she knew about him, he didn't know who she was, but he did know that it felt good to talk about it to someone, especially to someone who may be able to explain it to him.

 

"I remember I was at school, outside goofing around, when the girl I had a crush on walked by. I started to talk to her, but just as we were about to exchange phone numbers, Thomas, the school bully, came along and decided to step in. He started mocking me and making her uncomfortable around me, and then he thought it would be funny to pull my shirt up over my head and pull my shorts down to my ankles. I was humiliated and so mad." He describes the situation to Olivia, and she feels terrible for him as she walks quietly along with him, listening. 

 

"I remember feeling this energy surge through me. I had walked around the building, so he wouldn't see how much he had gotten to me. No one was around, and I just punched the wall, hoping this would relieve some of my anger. My fist almost went all the way through the bricks. There was a hole, and my hand barely had scratches on it. I was suddenly extremely strong. I figured this could be good for when I punch Thomas out." He chuckles at this thought. "About a week had past since the incident, and the teasing had started to die down. I had great friends that helped. It wasn't until the next week that Thomas decided to pick on me again. I was sure this would be when I got to show him who was the real boss."

 

"He was pushing me around, calling me names, and whatever else he could think of to draw attention. I was really starting to get pissed. I figured this was my chance to punch him. I could feel the anger boiling up inside of me. I was just about to punch him, when I looked down and I saw sparks. At first I had no idea where they were coming from, but I soon realized they were coming from my fingers. They were small electrical sparks, like this." He brings his hands up and hold them about a foot apart with his fingers bent in a little. A second later, there were bright lines of electrical currents that connected his left fingers to his right ones. "That's not all. I have incredible strength, I can control electricity, I can move extremely fast, and I heal quicker than most people. I know I'm not normal, but I also know that I am human. I'm a good person, and I have great family and friends that will agree to that." He wants to make her believe this, almost as if it will change things.

 

"I know you are. It's obvious that you have had a tough time dealing with these abilities, especially since you are the only person you know like this. I seem to be jaded when it comes to these things, and obviously tend to offend people when I do talk about them. It is clear that you are a good person, and that you have a lot of humanity in you."

 

"I must ask again. How do you know all of this stuff?" He needs to know. He wants to know that she can be trusted and be someone he can talk to and help him understand more.

 

"I've lived my entire life around demons, and not the good kind either. Thats why I am not used to talking to people who are easily offended by the things I say." She tells him.

 

"So, you, yourself, don't have any special abilities. You can just easily spot those who do?"

 

She stops walking and laughs, more to herself. Justin wonders what is so funny, but Olivia can only shake her head at first. "I don't mean to laugh. I guess I should just be honest. I can easily spot those who do, because like I said I've grown up around them my entire life. I've seen many many types, origins, of demons. I've seen abilities that you can't imagine. I've seen so many killed because of them." Olivia steps up to Justin, so close that he could feel her breath on his face. She stares directly into his eyes, making him feel very uncomfortable. "I know all of this because I am completely demon, and not the good kind."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story