Author's Chapter Notes:
here's a short chapter just to hold you over. I can't decide where I want to bring in Olivia's back story, so I'm working on that.

It has been two weeks since Olivia met up with Justin for the second time. It seems that Justin didn't take the news as well as either one had hoped. He had hoped that meeting up with Olivia would mean that he would finally find someone like himself to talk to and maybe help him understand more about himself. Instead, he find that his fears overcame his hope as soon as Olivia informed him of who or what she is. She's not like him. 

 

Olivia had hoped that her meeting with Justin would allow her to apologize to him and maybe in the process, gain a new friend. She has been avoiding interaction for almost ten years now. Being here with Alyssa makes her see that she is tired of running. She wants to stay here, get to know her sister, and maybe, eventually, have friends of her own. She doesn't want to be who she was anymore. She told Justin in hopes that he would maybe try to help her, but it is clear that he is scared of her just like everyone else was...is. 

 

Olivia has gone out every night, but has failed to run into Justin again. He is avoiding her, and she cannot blame him. She should have expected it. She is just so used to people doing everything she wanted and following her every wish, desire, and demand, and doing everything they could to please her. She likes not having people be this way around her, but she still has to adjust to the fact that she can't make people be her friend, force them to want to be around her.

 

******

 

"Maybe you are just blowing it all out of proportion." Trace states as they all gather around the pool. "She could have just meant that she has more powers than you because both of her parents had them, and just perhaps she may have done some things that she's not proud of when she realized she had her. I mean you punched a wall and wanted to punch Thomas with this new found strength when you realized you could shoot electricity through your fingers. Maybe she couldn't control her powers. You don't even know what they are."

 

"Neither of my parents have stupid powers. I would know it." Justin is hoping not to have this conversation again. "She said herself that she is 'completely demon, and not the good king' so what am I supposed to think and do?" 

 

"You're supposed to stick around and talk to her. Get to know her, and get her to explain this crazy world that she's been living in." Rachel swims up to the edge of the pool and invited herself into the conversation. "I'm actually curious what her abilities are? I mean, if she really is completely demon, she's gotta have some crazy cool powers right?" Her excitement is hilarious to Tace.

 

"I didn't even think of that." The excitement is contagious apparently. "What are her powers?!"

 

"Don't you think we should be more worried about her using her powers against us?" Cara speaks out now. "I mean, if Justin can kill so easily with his bare heads, not to mention he can cause a lot of damage from a distance, we can only assume that her powers are much more." Cara looks over at Justin and sees his face fall at her proclamation of how dangerous he is. She is quick to backtrack. "We know Justin is one of the good guys that would never hurt anyone, but we can't be sure about her."

 

Rachel rolls her eyes. "Nice cover." Her sarcasm is obvious to everyone. "Justin, you can't honestly that dangerous. She would have already made her move, especially know what you are and what you can do. She would probably find you a threat." She tries to reason with him.

 

"I just think it'd be really cool to have someone else with cool powers around." Trace shrugs as he lays back in his chair.

 

"Yeah, because thats what we need. Someone thinking they are better than everyone else." Cara whispers.

 

Justin turns to look at Cara. They have been good friends since the fourth grade. "Is that what you think of me? That I think I'm better than you?" He could not believe that she would think something like this. "If anything, I think you all have it better. You have no worries about how you may accidently kill someone by a simple touch or if your  anger gets out of control or if you happen to get in a fight for honor or for a loved one."

 

The goofing around seemed to come to a sudden stop. No one really understood that their friend felt this way. That he would actually kill someone. He is the most kind-hearted person they know, and he feels like it would not take much for him to be the opposite.

 

"Justin, none of us feel like you are capable of anything terrible." Cara reassures him. "We know you. We know that you are a good person. We love you, and we would not want you any other way."

 

"Besides, if we ever need a wall knocked down or electricity is out, you are our hero." Rachel tries to joke to lighten the mood back up.

 

Justin smiles and nods to let his friends know he'll be okay. They decide to drop the discussion about Olivia and move onto happier topics so they can enjoy their day in the sun. The group spends the day laughing and splashing. It seems all is well, except Justin cannot get Olivia off his mind. Rachel had a point. Why hadn't she used her powers on him? Why does she know so much? Why did she tell him that his powers were hereditary? Is is really true? Is is possible that his mother has some kind of ability that she has kept secret all his life or is she lying to him? Why would she lie? It is not like she has anything to gain from it, right?

 

He seems so lost, even more now than before. He contemplates going back to Olivia to demand answers, to help him understand, to know for sure if she is good or if she is bad.

 

******

 

"What did you do this time to make him run?" Alyssa asks as she sits the bowl of popcorn down on the table beside the box of pizza and 2-liter of soda. 

 

Olivia had just finished telling her that she hasn't talked to or seen Justin in two weeks, not since there last encounter. "Why does it have to be something I did? I did everything you told me to do and he still ran."

 

"You apologized to him?"

 

"Profusely."

 

"You tried to get to know him?" Alyssa asks and Olivia nods. "You listened to him?" Another nod. "You took back your 'not human' statement." Nods again. "You didn't call him a demon did you?"

 

"Not really."

 

"Olivia! You called him a demon?!" Alyssa exclaims.

 

"No! I told him that his abilities derive from demons, but I could tell that he was a good person."

 

"There's something you aren't telling me."

 

"I don't think so. I told him the origins of his power. I told him that he is good. I told him that I understood the demon world because I grew up around it, and then I told him that I was demon myself." She shrugs nonchalantly as if she really could not see where she went wrong.

 

"You told him what? Why would you tell him that you were a demon?" Alyssa asks confused by her actions. "You do realize that doesn't help matter any. When I told you to talk to him and make him feel comfortable about who or what he is, I didn't mean for you to lie about yourself. You can't say you are like them and hope they feel better."

 

Olivia threw her head back in frustration. "You just don't get it do you? I'm not telling him shit just to make him feel better. I have other, more important, things to worry about than whether sensitive boy feels better about himself. I tried to help and obviously I'm not good at it, so I give up and he can deal with his shit on his own." 

 

It took a minute or two before things started to get into Alyssa's brain, but she did realize that Olivia was saying that she didn't lie about anything she told Justin. That would mean, "your demon?"

 

"Maybe we shouldn't talk about this." 

 

"No, I need to know. You told Justin you were completely demon. Did you mean that both of your parents are demon? That my father is a demon? That I am demon?" Alyssa's questions all flow out one after another. She is suddenly not feeling so well.

 

Olivia starts to feel bad, once again. This feeling seems to be reoccurring ever since she made the decision to stay and live with Alyssa. Before, she had no regrets. If she hurt someone's feelings, she had no care. They would just have to get over it. Now, she finds herself regretting things she says and does and then trying to fix whatever went wrong. This time she is unsure how to approach it, what to say to her. She did not mean for her to find out like this, but Alyssa had wanted details about he encounter with Justin, and she shared all of them.

 

"So am I half-demon?" She asks again, fearful of the answer.

 

Olivia waits a moment, thinking about her answer before slowly and reluctantly nodding. Alyssa looks away from her, trying to process this new information. She takes a deep breath and looks back at Olivia and asks about powers. She wanted to know if she had any and what they were.

 

"Usually in...mixed breeds, powers come from the mother's side. Like in Justin's case, his mother is the demon, so he portrays her abilities. In your case, your mother was human. You most likely don't have any and if you do, it'll just be a slight enhancement of something that will probably go unnoticed or explained away by adrenaline or something like that." Olivia tries to explain in a way to make it easy for her. "I'm sorry. I didn't want you to find out this way."

 

Alyssa's eyes start to water due to information overload, but she can't help but be curious. "What about you then? Apparently both of your parents were so-called demons, so I assume you have powers. What are yours?"

 

"My parents were not 'so-called' demons. They are demons. They are ruthless in their ways and power-hungry. That is why they are looking for me. They want me back. My family happens to pretty much be on the top of the food chain when it comes to power and evil, and they were hoping, and still are, that I will join them there. I refused, and I have been running ever since." Olivia needs her to understand that she wants nothing to do with being evil, not anymore. "I can't lie. There was a time that I would have done anything to make my parents happy. I wanted them to be proud of me, and I worked hard to make them so. Now I am ashamed of how I was and would do anything to take back most everything that I did. I was a terrible person, and now I will do anything to make up for that."

 

Alyssa nods and smiles at her as she reaches over to place her hand on her back, trying to comfort her. "You are a good person. Your past is just that, your past. Leave it there. Do what you can to be a good person now and that is all anyone can ask."

 

Olivia is grateful for her new sister. She is hoping that they will become very close, but at the same time fears what will happen if they do and her parents do find eventually find her. She will just have to do everything she can to protect her. For the first time, she feels like she belongs somewhere and she intends to prove that she does.

 

"So..."Alyssa smiles big again and scoots closer to Olivia," what are your powers?"



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story