"So how evil were you?" Alyssa asks. 

"Is that really an appropriate question?" Olivia asks as she moves to get up and leave the room.

Alyssa just stands up and follows her, asking again. She wants to know so much, and Olivia is very reluctant about sharing anything about herself. She follows Olivia into her bedroom and tries to push her into talking. Even if Alyssa did not want to hear all of the details, she knows it would be good for her to talk. 

"I don't want to talk about this." She says with a definitive tone. "You really don't want me to talk about it either. Trust me. I was not a nice, caring person. i killed just to kill. I killed out of boredom, out of anger, out of power, and out of pure joy of it."

 

 

"So what have you been doing today? Kill anyone fun?" Alexander asks with great humor.

"Oh my dear brother, I do have things to do other than kill for fun." Olivia states with a matter-of-fact.

"Right. Thats a funny one. I'm sure the parents would be so proud of you." Sarcasm present in his tone. "What have you been doing? I did see that someone missed out on a good kill this morning."

"I've been taking care of some things. Its none of your business. What have you been doing? Following me?" 

The two enter into Olivia's living quarters. Alexander finds a comfortable spot on the sofa and throws his feet up. He lies back and places his hands behind his head in great leisure. Olivia removes the bow from her shoulder and places it on the wall. She then proceeds to remove one of her hunting blades, lying it on the table in front of her, and then removes three other blades that were concealed in several areas. 

"Only four blades this time?" Alexander laughs.

"I told you I had stuff to take care of." Olivia shrugs as she picks up the first blade and begins to clean it.

"Cleaning? You did kill today?" Alexander's smile grows wide.

"I never said I didn't. I said that I had other things to do than kill for fun. You just assumed that meant that I didn't kill." She smirks at her brother.

"If you didn't kill out of pure fun, who and why did you kill?" He sits up now, waiting for a story. "Boredom? Anger? Power? Did someone step on your toes?" He is laughing.

Olivia puts her weapons away and joins her brother on the sofa. "More out of annoyance. I was trying to sit and enjoy being by myself, and here comes a stupid Harpy and decided it was appropriate to come sit down and eat my food, right off my plate. Don't touch my food. Plus, she was just ugly and I didn't really want to look at her."

Alexander laughs loudly and asks her if she is really serious.

She shrugs. "No, not really. I was really trying to enjoy to time alone and one of the guardsmen came over and started to bother me. I'm pretty sure he was trying to flirt with me, thinking I would fall for it and marry him or at least convince the parents to let him be part of our trusted circle." She rolls her eyes and tells of how his flirting was not good and she just got annoyed and stabbed him in the neck to shut him up.

 

 

Alyssa is stunned. She wants to say something, but she doesn't know what to say. She was thinking that maybe Olivia was forced by some army general type. She killed to save her life or the life of someone she cared about. Alyssa never figured that Olivia killed just because she was annoyed with some guy trying to hit on her.

"I warned you. You didn't want to hear the story of my life. I was not a good person."

"If you were so bad, then how did you become who you are now. You seem to be upset about your past. If you were still evil, you wouldn't feel bad about what you've done. What made you change?"

"I met Blake. I started to fall in love, and wanted to be the kind of person he could love."

 

 

"Motherfu-" Olivia tripped over a tree stump, causing her to lose her balance. She caught herself on a nearby tree. She is pissed because she never falls. She is an excellent hunter. Her prey never gets away. She growls as she checks out her surroundings and straightens her bow. "Now I have to hunt him down. Always good to look at the bright side of things. The hunt can be the most exciting part." She laughs to herself.

She starts to walk in the way that her 'prey' and starts her hunt. She only gets a few feet before she is distracted by the sound of loud music and laughing. She veers off her path and starts moving towards the sound. In an opening of the woods, there was a small group of young men and women, playing loud music, joking around, enjoying their time. She starts roll her eyes and walk away when the last one to join the group shows up.

"Blake! Its about time you got here." She hears one of the males to hear.

She cannot seem to take her eyes off of him. He is the epitome of tall, dark, and handsome but that is not what caught her attention. His smile is bright. She could feel its contagious properties even from where she is standing. She stood there for a long moment, just staring, watching him interact with his friends. He is clearly a man that loves life, and made all those around him do the same. She completely forgot about her hunt and continued to watch this man.

 

 

"After a few days of watching him, I had decided that there was no way I could possibly think about interacting with him, not with who I was. I was already lying and running off to go see him because I knew my family wouldn't approve. Our parents had high hopes on who we chose to be with. It was a power thing. Humans are not even close to even being on the list, much less on top." Olivia explains. 

The sad, defeated look on her face almost broke Alyssa's heart right then and there. "How did you all finally start talking?"

"I was out on a normal hunt again, and I was tracking someone when I saw him. He was wandering around in the woods. He spotted me and called me over. I couldn't resist, so I was more than willing to go to him. He spotted my bow and arrows and started talking about hunting. He was an avid hunter, of course he hunted deer and turkeys and assumed I did too. I couldn't seem to bring myself to tell him that we hunted different things. We met up several times. I kept an eye out for my prey while helping him hunt his." Olivia couldn't help smiling even though she was slightly ashamed of her actions. "We developed strong feeling for each other very fast and over time, I grew to love him."

She pauses to take a breath. She didn't realize that telling this would upset her so much. She hates to think about her past. "We continued to see each other. I had told him that my family owned a small cabin in the woods, so he would always come see me. The cabin had actually belonged to someone that I had killed several months prior, so I used it for my advantage. It started off great, but the family started to notice when I skipped out on hunting assignments, when I made excuses not to go on missions set up by them, my brother noticed that I wasn't killing much as a whole. Apparently the parental units decided to have Andrew follow me and that is how they found out about Blake."

"I'm so sorry, Olivia." Alyssa didn't know what else to say. 

Olivia nods and continues. "They had first threatened his life, but I threatened to leave. Andrew talked them into making a deal that if I agree to never see Blake again and go back to the 'old me' then they would let Blake live. I tried so hard to avoid Blake for his own good. The last time I saw him, I was going to leave with him. He was leaving to go to college, and I wanted to go with him. I would have made sure that we stayed hidden, but he wouldn't let me. He didn't want to tear my family apart. He kept saying that I was only sixteen, too young to run away. He would come back for me. Thats when my parents caught up to us, and had him killed. He was shot in the chest with an arrow, by my brother." Tears were streaming down her face. 

"Oh god, Olivia, I am so sorry. I didn't realize that was how it happened. I am so sorry. I know it had to have been tough to see this. I can't imagine seeing someone I care deeply about die in front of me like that."

"It was my fault. I should have just left him alone. I wanted to see him, be with him. I finally agreed to stay behind without him and he still lost his life. Thats when I truly realized how horrible I was. When I killed another, I was taking away someone's loved one in some cases."

"He seemed to be a great person and obviously he made you into a better person, so maybe he served his purpose." Alyssa tries to rationalize. The glare that she receives is very uncomfortable. "I'm not saying he deserved that by any means. No one does, but maybe his destiny was set to bring you over to the good side."

Olivia stands up quickly. "I will not stand for you talking about him this way. He is not just some chess piece that just happened to get taken so another of more importance or power can make it through. I am not the one that should have gotten through. He was the better person."

"I'm not saying that he is not important. I'm just saying that you were only sixteen. You couldn't possibly understand 'love of your life' concept. You were probably just crushing on him. I would never wish his fate on anyone, but you said yourself that you have powers and skills to defeat other demons. Maybe you were meant to be on our side. Help us fight against evil. Hid death was not in vain." Alyssa tries to explain herself, hoping to get Olivia to see that she cannot hold onto Blake and not see that she is still a better person because of him.

"I was not just 'crushing' on Blake. I loved him and I know it was love because I have never felt that way about anyone and I have lived long enough to know what is different and special." Olivia is pacing the room, upset with the way this discussion turned out.

"In twenty-five years, you are able to know this? I am twenty-eight and I don't even know what true love is."

"I'm not twenty-five. I lied. He assumed I was sixteen, so I let him think I was. That was nine years ago, so now I'm twenty-five to the world. I'm immortal. I don't die so I've been around for long enough to know the difference." Olivia drops the ball.

Alyssa's eyes almost bug out at this information, and stutters over her words. She does not know how to take this one in. "How...how old....how old are you then?"

She sits back down on the couch beside Alyssa speaks quietly. "Old enough. I can say that I've lived to see all of the wars between humankind, natural disasters, I've seen how humans have hated enough to kill each other in wars, but care enough to reach out during times of distress and tragedy to help strangers. I've been around for a very long time."

"Can you be killed?"

"Planning something?" Olivia asks with a smile.

Alyssa chuckles a little and is happy to see that she is not offended by any of these questions. "I'm just curious. Are you like a vampire, only die by sunlight or stake through the heart? Does holy water burn your skin? Do you have to be mutilated to be killed?"

"Wow, you watch a lot of TV huh?" Olivia laughs. "I'm not like a vampire as you believe them to be. You are right in thinking manmade weapons do not kill me. I can be stabbed and shot multiple times. They do sting a little, but they do not kill me. I heal quite quickly also. I would say beheading me would kill me, but it is extremely difficult to do that. I can be killed though." Olivia nods. "The arrows that my brother and I are so efficient with are the about the only weapon that can kill us. They are infused with magic. When we are shot with the, it does not take too long for us to die depending on where we are shot obviously. The magic acts as poison that runs through our veins. I hear its extremely painful and definitely fatal."

"Wow! Thats crazy. I just had no idea that all of this was out there." Alyssa sits up straighter and then leans closer to Olivia with an excited look on her face. "I have to ask again. What are your powers?"

Olivia groans and rolls her eyes. "Why do you care?" Alyssa just sits there and waits for the answer. "Fine. My brother and I inherited the same powers. Our parents passed on their three powers to us, very common in our kind. Because of who our parents were, me and Andrew are more powerful. We learned our powers quickly and they grew in strength very fast."

"Yeah, yeah, what are they?

"I can tell you what anyone and everyone is feeling. I'm like an empath, I guess. I know if you're feeling happy, sad, depressed, surprised, even horny."

Alyssa's face fell a little. "That's all? Justin can control electricity and punch walls and all, and you as a purebred can feel what others are feeling?"

Olivia laughed hard at this. "Just so you know, most demons have great strength and speed and agility. I am definitely no exception. Now, on top of being about to detect your feeling, I can control yours too. I can make a person feel however I want. You can have the best day in your life and feel the worst depression in the world and not even know why. You can have the worst day in history and feel overjoyed and not even know why. I can make you feel an extreme attraction to whoever I want." Olivia tells her with a smirk. Alyssa opens her mouth to say something else but Olivia stops her before she can. "I can also read minds. Every thought that crosses your mind, I can hear." Olivia tries to hold back the laughter that seems to be approaching with Alyssa's gasp and a bit of humiliation. "Don't worry. I can control it. I do everything I can to stay out of other people's heads. It's not too hard. Its like how a normal person can tune out background noises, I can tune out your thoughts. They are nothing more than a slight hum in the back of my mind, unless I feel the need to listen." Olivia's smile grows to a mile wide. "There are a few that can fight through. If someone is feeling and thinking something with great intensity, it makes it through but otherwise your thoughts are safe with you." She assures, seeing the relief overcome Alyssa's face.

Olivia quickly changes the subject and distracts Alyssa. There is only so much a person can take. Her inherited powers are all she needs to hear about and obviously satisfies her for now. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story