“What’re you doing by yourself? Your teacher will be mad,” the 12 year old scolded lightly.

“I’m s-s-sorry.” Jane looked up at him. “I wanted to see y-y-ou b-b-b-b-because you got Star Search?”

Justin sighed, so confused as to what to do. They hadn’t been separated in the last six years and he didn’t know how to leave her. I mean, she was his best girl friend! “Yeah, I was going to tell you after school today. I wasn’t just going to leave you hanging, girl.”

"You sh-should have told me...You know I would b-be hap-happy for you". But her eyes couldn't hide her emotions, she was heartbroken. How couldn't she be? After all, it was Justin – the boy she could count on.

“Look I know this is hard,” he answered, hugging the small girl. “But I’ll be back in a week. Trace and Nick will look out for you until then.”

She thought for a minute. She really was happy, he’d been wanting this dream for forever, so of course she was happy he got it. She didn’t know why she was like this. “O-ok, I’ll see you when you g-g-get back.”

The night he left was especially difficult. Even though it’d only be for a week, it felt like an eternity to the little kids. Trace and Jane spent the day and previous night at the Harless home. Since summer break had started the day after Jane had sought Justin in class, they didn’t have to worry about staying up too late. They ate s’mores, drank soda, pizza, and of course Grandma Sadie’s dinner and desert. They finally fell asleep on the back deck under the stars; the boys teasing Jane with monster stories.

IN THE MORNING, bright and early at 8am, Lynn walked outside. The sight in front of her was too cute. Jane was laying next to Justin; both on their sides and facing each other. They really were close, even in sleep. Trace was in his sleeping bag. His head was buried in the bottom and his feet hung out the top. Snoring could definitely be heard. She chuckled and leaned down. “C’mon kids. Time to get up, Justin has to leave.”

Groans came and each took their time getting up; no one in that house was a morning person. After everyone was dressed, Justin’s parents and Jane’s mom sat watching as they all put on their shoes. The boy gently lifted his friend to her feet, steadying her, and set her in the wheelchair. They were roughly the same age but she was smaller than him and weighed less. And he was so gentle with her; it was amazing.

Justin stood in front of Jane’s wheelchair and looked at her; she was crying and being the tough 12 year old he was, he tried not to. “I’ll be back in a week but I’ll miss you,” he said shyly.

She blushed and giggled. “Th-thanks. I’ll miss you, t-t-too.”

“I’ll call and let you know how things go.” He hugged her tight for a long time before reluctantly letting go.

She watched as he climbed in the car and waved happily. She waved back but as soon as the car was out of sight, a tear rolled down her cheek. Trace didn’t know how to comfort her too much since Justin was the sensitive one, he understood how she felt but tried to keep his cool. So he nudged her shoulder. “C’mon, let’s go play video games. J will be back soon.”
---
Star Search went amazing. Wearing a ten-gallon hat and cowboy boots, Justin sang his heart out. His accent was heavy and oh so cute as he did a country number. He certainly impressed the judges and everyone rooted for him back home as they crowded in front of the TV. But...unfortunately it wasn’t enough to win.

“Anna receives four stars and our challenger, Justin receives three and a quarter stars...” Ed announced.

Justin Randall placed second and the girl before him won the prize. He was disappointed but didn’t let it get him down. This was his big break and he’d take what he could get. As Lynn was walking backstage to pick up her son, someone stopped her. “Hi, I’m Matt Casella, and I’d like to ask you something.”

“Ok.”

“I saw the show and I wanted to say your son Justin is a talented little kid. You're Lynn Harless, right?”

“Yes nice to meet you. What were you saying?” she asked.

“Well, a few lots over, I’m casting some kids between the ages of 10-13 for the New Mickey Mouse Club,” he answered. “I was wondering if Justin would be interested in auditioning?”

The mother thought for a moment. She’d heard about the show because the kids constantly watched it and were in love with it. He’d said his goal was to be on there. If the casting guy thought he was good, why not give it a shot?
---
Justin Timberlake had to be the most excited 12 year old on the planet. He had passed the audition and got all the callbacks; which made him into the cast of Mickey Mouse Club for season six and seven. He got signed to work with Josh Chasez (JC), Tony Lucca, Matt Morris, TJ Fatini, Ryan Gosling and others. He was so psyched! And he really looked up to the older kids. Once he was settled in the hotel room, he called Jane to tell her.

Jane lay on her bed, door closed, tears silently streaming down her face. Things couldn’t have been worse this week. She was excited seeing her best friend on Star Search, he did what he loves to do. But afterwards, her mother pulled her aside. Her condition had gotten worse and she would need surgery to straighten her spine. It was a dangerous procedure and would take a lot of pain and rehab, but it had to be done.

She didn’t want to move to a different state and do this alone, but what choice did she have? She wasn't old enough to choose so she was being forced. Didn’t she have enough to deal with in her short 11 years? The phone rang and broke her out of her thoughts. When she heard the voice on the line, she cried harder. “H-h-hi, Justin.”

“I have AWESOME news to tell you!” he beamed at the same time she said:

“I have s-something to tell-tell you.”

“I lost the contest but guess what! I got an audition on MMC and got through, I’m part of the cast.”

“Oh...” was all Jane could mutter for a few moments. She then cleared her throat and bit a sob. There was no way she could tell him now; it’d ruin his hyperness and she didn’t want that to be their last conversation. So she said, “Th-that’s great, J. It’s what you've been wanting. Just, um, r-r-remember I l-love you, ok?”

“And why wouldn’t I love my buttercup?” he giggled. “I have to go, Janey, ma brought dinner. I’ll call you and then see you in a few months. Bye!”

She sighed heavily as the phone hung up. She’d probably never see him or Trace again. She didn’t want them to know because she already felt like a burden. Maybe she’d come back in a few years if he was home. He probably wouldn't want a cripple for a friend anymore...


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story