Justin stepped into Memphis International Airport, fresh back from Orlando. He had a month break after spending six months filming his first season of MMC. He was so happy to be home; he wanted to see his dad and grandparents and friends. But most of all...Jane. He hadn’t spoken to her much since he got his new job and he didn’t know what was up. She never answered his calls and when he asked Trace, even he didn’t know. Jane had pulled away from everyone and no one knew why.

But Justin was determined to find out. If anyone could get her to talk it was him. He followed his mom outside where his dad waited to take them home. The 13 year old had been dropped off down the street at Jane’s house. Something was off, he could feel it as soon as he walked up the ramp. He went to knock on the door, pushing his curls from his face, and the door creaked open.
---
Jane lay in a hospital bed in Kentucky. She wore a backbrace which was uncomfortable and it kept her perfectly still. This prevented her pulling the stitches from the incision along her spine. She looked at the calendar above her head which indicated Justin would be home on summer break by now. She wanted so badly to be there but he could never know what was happening. She didn’t want him to take care of her like he always did; they were kids and he was living his dream. That shouldn’t be ruined.
---
Justin looked around the hallway with a confused look. It was completely empty. Where was Bianca? Where was Jane? Why wasn't the sound of Disney Channel blasting over the tv? He called out, “Buttercup, you home?” No answer came as he moved through the house. “Jane, where’re you hidin’? Did Trace put you up to this?”

Still no answer. Panic rose through his tiny body as he raced to the back bedroom. He skidded to a stop in the doorway, mouth hanging open as he saw the empty room. No bed, no desk, no boombox on the dresser. It was just the baby blue walls, Jane’s favorite color, left. He slid down the wall as his heart pounded hard and he felt sick. Hot tears poured down his cheeks as he asked out loud, “why did you leave without telling me?”

That is how Trace found him; nearly sobbing on Jane’s bedroom floor. The boy looked at his friend, his brother, as he too slowly took in what he saw. He’d gone to Justin’s house only to find out he was here. Hoping to get Jane as their friend again, he rushed over. The boy on the floor looked up at him. “Did you – did you know about this?”

“N-no, dude. I didn’t. She hasn’t been herself lately, hasn’t talked to me in weeks,” Trace answered. “She pulled away and wouldn't even speak to anyone at school. I couldn’t find out what was wrong.”

“W-why would she just leave me? We were supposed to be together forever. Why would her mom move her and not tell a-anyone the reas-reason?” He sounded so lost, tears clouding his voice.

“I don't know, J. I don't know.” In a rare moment, Trace kneeled down and hugged his friend. He’d suspected the young boy had a crush on the girl they knew; she was all he talked about. They really couldn’t figure it out.
---
ABOUT EIGHT YEARS LATER, June 2001 and Justin had just turned 20 years old. Where was he and what had he been doing all these years? Well, sadly, the MMC had ended all too soon and he was devastated. But he’d made great friends and shortly later formed a boyband with co-star JC Chasez. They joined Chris Kirkpatrick, Joey Fatone and Lance Bass to form *NSYNC. They toured around Europe and then struck a U.S. record label in 1998.

After a debut, a few financial problems, and their second album hitting platinum several times, *NSYNC was at the top of their game. They’d moved to Jive for the No Strings Attached record and were now touring for Celebrity.

Jane, or Janine as she had people call her now, was living in Kentucky still. She’d only been home a few times in the last years and that was only to see relatives. And she made sure not to run into Justin or anyone. Now though that sounded bad of her, she didn’t really know what else to do. She’d been effected by having to leave her childhood friend and home at such a young age and just couldn’t face them. Though she was independent now – only using one leg brace and crutches – and living on her own, she still saw looks of pity on some faces.

She knew Justin or Trace wouldn't pity her, but they probably had different lives now. She knew he’d made his dream come true and had made it big as a singer. And she was very proud of him.

But why be called Janine? She didn’t really know, just thought it sounded more proper and gave her a new look. Jane now worked as a secretary in a small office for Warner Brothers. But she wanted something higher-up. That would all change soon...

Justin was lounging around the tour bus and as he dozed off, he couldn’t stop thinking.

“Janey...Jane, don’t leave me...,” he mumbled.

The guys had come through, noisily as always, and looked curiously at him. “Wonder what he’s dreaming about,” Lance wondered quietly.

“I don't know but he’s been having these dreams for awhile,” JC answered.

“Yeah, did you realize he has these every few years?” Chris asked.

“Probably some hot chick he met somewhere.” Joey walked over to him and shook his shoulder.

“Come on, J. Time to get up, we have to roll.”

The young man muttered a few more words before opening his eyes. He blinked and slowly asked, “what's up, guys?”

“You were dreaming again,” Lance answered concerned. He knew these dreams must’ve meant something to him but none of them knew what. “You kept repeating the name ‘Jane’.”

Justin’s brows furrowed and Joey chuckled, “where is she? She hot?”

“Yeah, I thought you were dating Amanda. Who’s Jane?” Chris piped again.

Hands came to slap both of them upside the head and JC watched his best friend lower his head and breath deep. “Is it that girl you told me about on MMC? That Jane?” JC knew something had been between his young friend and this girl, but Justin never said more than they were childhood friends.

He swiped his hand over his freshly buzzed hair and looked up, forcing a smile. “Nah, it’s nothing. Probably something I heard on TV or something...I-I’m fine, guys.”

No one was convinced but let it go. They knew better than to push him. Though they were concerned that this had been happening for almost as long as they knew him...

“Janine, have I got FABOLOUS news for you!” her friend and colleague, Lucy, squealed. That girl was always overly happy, Jane mused. “You know that friend I have at Jive Records over in NYC?”

“Sh-shawn Borden?”

“Yes, him. Well, I was talking to him about how you're looking for something higher-up in this field and he said that one of the managers is looking for a new assistant.”

“Wow...” Jane was stunned. Jive Records was a huge company! “W-who is it, what would I-I be do-doing?”

“He’s a manager for a pop group, forgot their name. I guess you’d be assisting him on their tour. His name is...Johnny Wright I think?” Lucy answered.

Now the young woman was even more stunned. She was 20 years old and going to be working for one of the best managers in the country?! Wow...
---
SEVERAL WEEKS LATER, Jane had moved herself to Orlando, Florida which, trust me, wasn’t easy. She’d worked hard to save up as much money as she could over the years and now it’d taken almost all of it to get here. Jive was in New York City but Johnny had an office set up in Orlando.

She’d heard something curious around town and it struck her. Justin Timberlake, the boy she’d let go, was renting a house here. She knew this had to have happened for a reason; they had to have accidently ended up in the same place for something. She was a fan of his music as always, yes, but it’s not like she knew he lived here.

So here she was, standing in front of his front door, ready to finally see him after eight years. She was extremely nervous, shaking even, but knew it was time to give him an explanation. She didn’t expect him to forgive her – she wouldn’t if it was the other way around – but she wanted to make things right. It was just her luck that it was pouring rain.

Justin and his girlfriend, Amanda, were watching a movie on the couch. It was heavily raining so they figured they’d relax and pop in a comedy. He didn’t have rehearsals until tomorrow. “I’m going to grab some more popcorn,” he told her while pausing the movie. She nodded and he slipped out from where she lay on his chest.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door and the redhead jumped to grab it. In front of her was a soaking wet girl who seemed to be her age and was slightly hunched over. She stood with a crutch and looked up as she tried to speak clearly. “I-is Justin home? I need t-t-to speak with him.”

“Um, sorry, he’s on a day off. Maybe you'll see him at a concert.”

“Look, it’s very i-import-important. Justin!” Jane called.

“Little girl, please get off the property before we call security,” Amanda warned. Who did she think she was? A fan coming to a celebrity’s house? Oh, that’d make the tabloids.

“What’s goin’ on?” the young man asked, hearing the commotion and coming to the door.

Jane stared at him a moment as a smile appeared on her face. Sucking up her fears she started, “J-J-Justin, nice to see you again. It’s been a long t-time.”

He looked confused. “Again? Sorry, but I don't know you. But there’s a hotel down the street, why don’t you go warm up?” He generously gave her a few bucks and smiled.

Amanda rolled her eyes as the girl looked hurt but slowly nodded and left. “Well, glad she’s gone. There was something wrong with her,” she scoffed in distaste.

“She’s probably just a fan who thought she met us at an event. She looked lost,” he answered gently. “C’mon, let’s go finish the movie.”

Jane walked away hurt. ‘Why didn’t he recognize me?’ Not that Amanda really let her get a word in. Did this mean he didn’t want her anymore? She didn’t expect him to wait around for his childhood pal to come back; they were kids, they didn’t even date. But she thought he’d at least remember her...

But as the movie ended, Justin zoned out. His mind was stuck on that mystery girl. But it was nothing right? Just a lost fan or something? Right...


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story