Author's Chapter Notes:
so my friend, who sometimes writes with me, is practically begging for me to write a "hit story". i dont think im all that good but the few chapters that end this fic are gonna be for him cuz i love his amazing support lol :). and i wouldnt write if it wasnt for our families believing i can do it. so get ready for tissues & drama, everyone!!

Justin watched Jane as she goofed around with the other guys in the empty venue early in the morning. It’d been three days since their late-night chat and he still couldn’t figure out how he knew her. The way she talked, acted, moved. The way he seemed so comfortable and wanted to tell her everything. Damn, he knew she wasn't who she said but then...who was she? And what connection to himself was there?

“Hey, we’re going to teach Janine some of the new moves. You coming?” JC asked as he slapped his friend’s back.

“I uh...” he tried to think of an excuse, not wanting to get closer until he figured out who she was. But as soon as she looked up at him, something pulled him in again. “Fine.” It took him a few minutes to not feel awkward and he was eventually laughing. But somebody was watching them. Make that two.

Trace and Amanda watched from off to the side. Trace was Justin’s assistant now so he went everywhere. He watched with curiosity; also feeling the same tug of familiarity that his best friend felt. Amanda though felt jealousy. Who was this new girl who came to take her boyfriend? She heard the *NSYNC guys being called to start soundcheck for their show later tonight and saw Jane slip out of the room to make a call. She didn’t trust ‘Janine’. If that was her real name; she was probably a gold-digger.

Trace slipped away unnoticed as vocals were being run, he wasn’t needed right now anyways. He saw Jane go into a dressing room and pull something from the bottom of her bag. It looked like a book of some sort and she stared at the pages for a long minute. He snuck in, not being one to get involved n people’s problems, but curious as to who she was. And...were those tears on her cheeks? The young girl obviously didn’t hear him, as she was muttering to herself, and he managed to catch a glimpse of the page before she saw his shadow.

Jane jumped, dropping the photo album as Trace appeared behind her. Oh, God, how she didn’t want anyone to see this. She was in so much trouble. “Why do you have baby pictures of Justin?” he asked slowly and with a hint of accusation. Was this girl insane? Only fans and the boys’ families had photos of them. He took another glance and recognized Justin, himself, and a brown-haired little girl in a pink wheelchair...

“I’m so-s-sorry,” she whispered, the tears not slowing.

Only one person would have that picture...but this girl – no she couldn’t. It was impossible. She couldn’t be her. Justin would be so hurt, he’d been so hung up on that little girl, so attached. He couldn’t let Justin know that’d she could possibly be... He cut off his own thoughts as his voice sounded again. “Who are you and why do you have this picture??”

“My name’s J-jane,” in the same quiet voice. She didn’t want him, nor Justin, or anyone to find out like this. She had it planned, where she could apologize like crazy and show why she never came back.

“No, it can't be. Because the Jane I knew wouldn't’ve put Justin, or even myself, through this. She wouldn't just leave her home, her friends, and never look back,” Trace answered. The anger had started to build. He would never admit it, being the tough guy he was, but all those years ago he did miss their little girl friend. She was like one of the guys and kept them out of trouble. Sure it wasn't like Justin who had become way too attached for his young age, but Trace missed her all the same.

“I’m sorry, Tra-trace. I didn’t mean too. It was just – I le-left and I-I-I didn’t know how to come back. I didn’t know how to make it b-better!”

“So, you just stayed away? Made Justin wonder where you were, if you were alive. Yeah, some friend,” the man scoffed. She didn’t know what else to say because if he didn’t listen, Justin never would.

She grabbed her bag in her non-crutch hand and started for the door. She stopped at a soft voice. One she used to seek for comfort but now sounded of hurt and pain. “Janey? Is it true?” Justin choked. He had come for his mic-pack when he’d heard shouting and this is what he found. He looked into blue eyes, glassy with the tears that were filling his own.

“J, it can't be. We haven’t seen Jane in nearly 10 years. Why would we now? She’s probably just-”

Ignoring his friend, Justin grabbed the young woman’s arm and led her to the doorway. “Get out. You're not Jane and you never will be. Jane wouldn't do this.”

“But Jus -,” she tried using her old nickname for him.

“I said get out! Johnny will be firing you once he’s found out your scam.” The 21 year old’s voice was so full of hated, Jane was actually scared. She left, sobbing harder than ever.

Not noticing where she headed, she crawled into a tiny corner. The strength had been drained and she didn’t want to move anymore. Her body shook painfully as her heart broke.

Justin fell onto the couch in the dressing room and Trace sat numbly beside him. Neither knew whether to believe this or not. I mean, it’d been eight years right? But everything happened for a reason... Justin pulled out his wallet slowly and took out a crumpled photo. He looked at the forgotten album on the floor and his heart broke. The pictures were exactly the same. Even if she was a fan or paparazzi, there was no way she could’ve gotten it. They were private. Unless...

Suddenly there was a loud crash and ear piercing screams coming from down the hall and Justin could have sworn he died right there...


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story