Author's Chapter Notes:
AN: this chapter is for my friend who took the time out to help. he really got into it & i appreciate that alot.
It had been two days. Two days since Jane’s leg had been punctured. They had cleaned it up, wrapped it, and braced it. But due to her already affected muscles and bones from her disability, she’d need a good amount of physical therapy. But it had also been two days since Justin had been away from her. The guys couldn’t tear him away, not even to eat. Once Lynn arrived and was assured none of her boys were hurt, Trace had explained that Janine was little Janey from back home. To say she was shocked was an understatement.

She managed to pry her son away while the doctors were checking the young girl. “She grew up so beautiful. Just like her mother.”

They hadn’t been able to reach Bianca, she’d left once Jane turned 18. “Yeah, but how could I not have seen it? How did I not know it was her these two months, mom?”

“I don't know, honey, but you know now. And she needs you so you have to be there for her if you really want to.”

“But part of me is so mad at her. She left without a reason and now she’s back and I don’t even know why.” Justin’s voice was so quiet, hoarse from crying. But it also held a lot of guilt. Guilt for not knowing it was Jane sooner, guilt for turning her away and having her get hurt.

“Well, once she’s healed then you two can hash that out. But right now you need to eat,” she said in her best ‘mom voice.’ “Trace told me you’ve barely eaten. You're not going to be any good to that girl in there if you just waste away.”

“Go on, dude, I’ll keep an eye on her,” Trace said walking up. Justin hugged him and Lynn took him to the cafeteria. The other guys of *NSYNC had gone to the hotel to rest for a few hours before coming back. After they so graciously explained Jane’s past so Justin and Trace didn’t have to, Johnny had agreed to give them a few days off.
---
Justin had been dozing in the chair next to Jane’s bed since he came back. Trace was perched in a chair in the corner and the other guys had been taking shifts with them; including keeping the press hounds at bay. They’d deal with that once she woke. His head rested on her stomach, hand clutched in his. Weakly Jane’s eyes fluttered and she reached her hand up. She touched Justin’s buzzed hair, knowing this would be the last time before he told her to leave for good. God, he looked so peaceful. Just like when they were kids. Oh, how long she’d waited to see that again.

She shook her head and tried to hold back tears. ‘No, you're not kids anymore!’ her mind screamed. She tried to shift out of the young man’s grip but it was then she felt the shooting pain in her left leg. Her soft cries woke the two men.

“Yo, J, she’s waking up!” Trace called out.

Justin was immediately up and hovering over her as he framed her face with his hands. “Thank God you're ok, Janey. What's wrong? Are you in pain? Why are you crying?”

She sucked in a sharp breath, not having the strength to pull away because she was hurting. “S-s-some.” He put the button for the Morphine in her hand and held it.

“I’m sorry, they can only give you a small dose because of your heart. But it should take the edge off.”

“I’ma go get the doc,” Trace told them. They needed a moment alone.

“Just breathe,” Justin whispered, waiting for the medication to take affect. By the time it did, he opened his mouth. “Jane, I -”

“Excuse me, I have to examine miss McCall,” the doctor interrupted. Justin was forced out of the room and slumped against the wall.

It was then that he heard heels across the hard floor and he half groaned. “Oh, J.J.! Thank goodness you're ok!” the blonde gasped.

He resisted the urge to roll his eyes. “Amanda.” It was...almost 3am and he was tired. He had people to worry about and if she wasn't in immediate danger, Amanda could wait a little bit. Jane was the one in danger...

“One of the stage crew said there was an accident.”She stated as she began fuss over him. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“I’m fine; Jane is the one that got hurt.” He huffed then swatted at her hands that seemed to be just everywhere when all he wanted was her to leave him the heck alone.

“Who is that?” she asked.

The young man hung his head; this wouldn’t go well. “Janine is my friend Jane...long story short – I lost her a long time ago but I’m not giving her up this time.”

“Who was she, an ex? I don't know what she’s playing, Justin, but she’s conning you,” Amanda answered in disgust.

“Don’t talk about her like that! You don’t know her!”

“Oh and you're sure you do?? What did Trace say, eight years have gone by? For all you know she could just want your money now that you're famous.”

“Cut it out, Amanda,” Lance said, walking up. He threw an apologetic glance at his friend. “J doesn’t need this right now. A friend of ours is hurt and she needs help. Why don’t you come back later?”

“But – ” Justin shot her a cold look that made her huff and turn on her heel.

He stood up, half-hugged Lance in thanks, and went back inside the room. Jane was still on her back but seemingly staring into space. “Are you ok? What did the doctor say?”

“I’m fine,” she answered quietly.

He studied her for a few moments. Something had changed in the last ten minutes but he didn’t know what. “Look, Jane, I’m sorry about - ”

“J-just leave, Justin.” Her voice was so cold.

“What? No, I don’t want to leave. I’m sorry I didn’t believe you. If I had...”

“It’s ov-over and done with. Just l-l-leave!” The tears started again and Jane tried to hide her face.

“I don’t understand, Janey. I just got you back. I don’t want to lose you.”

“Well, I don’t want y-you back. I-I-I don’t even know why I came here. So just do-do what you told me and – and get out!”

The boy felt as if he’d been struck. Why would she push him away a second time? Didn’t she want to be with him? He stumbled out, tears choking him.
---
Justin went back to the hotel and flipped on his CD player. Music always calmed him; maybe it would help him figure out what in the world was going on. He dug through his duffle bag for a clean wifebeater and sweats and as he slipped the shirt over his head, he spotted something. At the bottom of his bag was Jane’s photo album. Trace or JC must’ve packed it so he could hold it for her... Just as a song came on, he started looking at the pages.

I wish I had what I need
To be on my own
'Cause I feel so defeated
And I'm feeling alone

And it all seems so helpless
And I have no plans
I'm a plane in the sunset
With nowhere to land

And all I see
It could never make me happy And all my sand castles
Spend their time collapsing

Let me know that You hear me
Let me know Your touch
Let me know that You love me
Let that be enough


“Oh my, God, this is why?” he mumbled to himself. The book was filled with their baby pictures. But also Jane as a teenager. It showed her in the hospital; like a documentation of her tragedy. One picture showed her on parallel bars, learning how to walk normally. Another one Justin couldn’t keep his eyes off of. He was totally stunned. In it Jane lay on her stomach; a rough scar going down her spine. ‘She had surgery?’ he thought. He checked the date and sure enough, she was only 11.

It's my birthday tomorrow
No one here could now
I was born this Thursday
22 years ago

And I feel stuck
Watching history repeating
Yeah, who am I?
Just a kid who knows he's needy

Let me know that You hear me
Let me know Your touch
Let me know that You love me
And let that be enough


“Now it all makes sense...”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story