Author's Chapter Notes:
welp, this is it! big huge thanks and brownies go to everybody! i appreciated it more than you guys know!

      

"Alright man... I gotta get going... apparently it's time." Ben snorts and I can just picture him rolling his eyes and tugging at the collar of his shirt.    

"Yeah...have fun."    

"Doubt it... you know how fucking boring these things are."    

"Yeah, I hear ya. Later." I snap the phone shut and stare at it, not entirely believing everything I just heard.    

Deep down, I always knew this day would come. It's what she wanted and if she's happy, that's all that matters.    

But... knowing that it could have been me does sting just a bit.     

I can't say I'm not happy with the decisions I made five years ago. I knew I needed to walk away right then and there. If I hadn't... I don't even want to think about the way things could have ended.     

To this day, I wish I could have been the one to give her what she wanted. I wish I could have been the guy who wanted kids and lifetime commitments. But, it just isn't me. And I don't regret it... I just... I guess knowing that the woman you loved is getting ready to spend the rest of her life with someone else is something you don't entirely get used to.    

I guess it's a good thing I wasn't holding my breath for an invite. I mean honestly, who could blame her? I know if I was in her shoes, I sure as hell wouldn't have invited me.     

But, I'd be a damn liar if I said I wasn't curious. I can't explain it, but I'd like to see the guy who was able to give her everything I couldn't.     

I grab my keys and head to my car quickly. Leaving now should give me just enough time to get to the church.

 

***************    

 

I park directly across from the entrance to the church and can't help but smile at the flowers and ribbons wrapped around every visible surface. It isn't tacky or overdone the way most wedding decorations are. It's all extremely elegant and subtle.     

It's so Mia.     

The doors open and I inhale sharply as several familiar faces pile out of the church, every last one of them smiling from ear to ear. Even Trace looks beyond ecstatic.     

It's plain to see that every single person exiting the church is thrilled and I can only hope that, that means Mia found herself someone who truly deserves her.     

Everyone crowds around the stairs, clearing a walkway to a waiting limo and as the doors to the church open once again, my breathing halts. As lame ass as it sounds, I don't think there's a word to describe what I'm seeing.     

Clearly, the last five years have done her a lot of good. She looks happier and more relaxed than I can ever remember seeing her. She looks exactly the way a woman should on her wedding day.     

Just as I'm about to shift the car into drive, I take one last glance at her and immediately freeze in place.     

Fuck.    

I wasn't planning on this.     

The look on her face is damn near impossible to read as she stares at me, but if I had to guess, I'd say there's a good bit of shock and anger mixed in there.     

She seems to completely ignore everything around her while her eyes are locked with mine. My palms start to sweat and I'm suddenly realizing just how shitty this was.     

I had no right to show up here, to ruin this for her.     

I can be such a fucking prick sometimes.     

Before I can continue to berate myself, a small smile breaks out across her face and she waves discreetly. Fortunately, her family and friends are far too wrapped up in wishing the newlyweds well and throwing rice to notice.     

I return the gesture and shrug, my stomach tightening a bit when she laughs to herself. A second later her head whips in the other direction, no doubt in response to some form of congratulations.    

And just like that, the moment's passed.     

It's so obvious now, more than ever before, that this is the way it's supposed to be. We weren't supposed to be together.     

Suddenly, it all makes sense.     

I guess we both got our own form of a happy ending.

 

THE END


Completed
katethegreat is the author of 28 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 11 members. Members who liked Mockingbird also liked 571 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story