I stare down at the plate in front of me and shut my eyes. I can feel the bile rising in my throat and it's taking all I have to keep it down.    

Damn flu.    

"Mia... you ok? I swear... you just turned green." Carly asks, a hint of worry in her voice.    

"Yeah." I nod and sniffle loudly. "Justin was sick last week and I think I've got whatever he had."    

She nods slowly, a small smile on her face. "Well sweetie... maybe a hospital isn't the best place for you at the moment."    

I look around and let out a groan at the sight of patients and their families, doctors and other nurses filling the cafeteria.    

She's right.    

There's no telling what kind of hell would break loose if I started getting other people sick. But, I don't have much of a choice.    

"I need the hours. I'm only on til six anyway." I shrug and push the plate away.    

"I'll take it, it's only an extra hour. Go home, dope yourself up, and kick his ass for getting you sick."    

"No... I'm fine, really." I protest, trying to ignore the tightness in my chest.    

My bed is sounding better by the second, but I do need the money. But, what's the point in being here when I could potentially risk someone else's life?    

"Mia... go."    

"You sure?"    

"Positive. Go." She laughs and shakes her head. "Call me later, let me know you're still alive."    

"Thanks." I smile gratefully at her and grab my bag before hightailing it to my car and heading straight home.    

I pull into the gated driveway and frown at the sight of two distinctly familiar vehicles. One, a black range rover, the other a dark blue mercedes.    

I am really in no mood for the boys club nonsense tonight.    

I love Trace and my brother, but I really don't need their drunken stupidity thrown in the mix when my head feels like someone stuffed it full of cotton balls.    

I trudge up to the house, whimpering the whole way. Every muscle in my body tenses with each step and even breathing takes twice the effort it should.    

I finally make it to the door and as soon as it swings open, I'm met with the sound of the Rolling Stones blaring through the house, windows rattling and dogs barking.    

Wonderful.... just... wonderful.    

I roll my eyes and amble into the house, setting my bag and jacket on the table in the hall. I kick off my tennis shoes as I head for the living room and groan when I spot my boyfriend and his two best friends, singing way off key and playing air guitar.

I saw her today at the reception, a glass of wine in her hand
I knew she would meet her connection
At her feet was a footloose man
No, you can't always get what you want
    

The stench of alcohol hits me full force and I clamp my hand over my mouth until the churning in my stomach subsides. This is so not a good day for this.    

Normally, I'd laugh it off and let them act like four year olds, but today, I really need peace and quiet. I turn the stereo down and all three heads immediately snap in my direction, each wearing a prominent pout.    

"I feel like death." I shrug.    

Trace giggles while Ben rolls his eyes and mutters something about women using PMS to get their way all the time. Justin, meanwhile, stands stock still, staring at me curiously.    

"What's wrong?"    

"I've got whatever you had. I just want to take something and sleep."    

"I'll get it." He smiles and shuffles into the kitchen, returning a minute later with two gel caps and a glass of water.    

I guess it's a good sign that even when he's running around like a drunk idiot, he can still take care of me.    

Don't know about you, but I can't think of too many guys who'd care enough to do that.    

He passes me the pills and uses his free hand to grab mine and lead me up the stairs. In a matter of minutes, I've changed into one of his T-shirts and have settled into bed while he takes a seat on the edge.    

"You need a bucket or anything?" He chuckles and gently brushes my hair out of my face.     

"You really shouldn't be laughing at me. I could very easily give the disease back, ya know."    

"Point taken. Get some sleep." He kisses my forehead before standing up and heading out of the room.     

It doesn't take long before sleep takes over and I'm out like a light. But, it doesn't last long.    

I wake up nearly two hours later to the floor underneath the bed vibrating, windows rattling and the dogs going completely insane.     

I get that they're drunk, and yes... I understand that they're used to having free reign of the house and being able to play the damn radio as loud as they want.    

But, I'm sick as a damn dog and really, really need the rest.    

I'm not asking for complete silence or anything. They're more than welcome to play the radio, just not at a volume that's likely to break the sound barrier.     

I crawl out of bed and make my way downstairs to find the three of them seated on the floor, a case of beer in between them.     

I turn the stereo down for the second time today and roll my eyes. "Yeah... I wasn't trying to sleep or anything."    

"Sorry baby... I didn't think it'd wake you up." Justin smiles sheepishly.    

I don't know why, but it's next to impossible to be mad at him when he's been drinking. As strange as it sounds, there's this innocent, almost child like quality about him when he's drunk. He can't control himself and even when it's irritating, it's still adorable as hell.    

"Just keep it down, please?"    

"Aye aye captain!" Trace shouts and salutes me, a stupid grin plastered on his face.    

I try to laugh but it comes out as more of a cough. I really, really despise being sick. I shake my head and climb the stairs again.     

Just as I settle into bed, the stereo is cranked up again and I let out a frustrated sigh.     

Now I'm just getting pissed off.    

I was perfectly nice when I asked them to keep it down, so what the hell is the problem? Like I said, normally I don't care how loud the damn thing is or how stupid they get.    

Why do they pick today, of all days, to be assholes about it?    

I throw the covers off and hop out of bed, angrily stomping down the stairs. I march straight into the living room and shut the music off completely.    

"That's it... you two, out." I bark at Ben and Trace, who stare at me, horrified.   

"We can't drive." Ben pouts and holds up a half empty beer bottle.    

"Walk for all I care. Just get the hell out."        

"Mia... baby... calm down." Justin tries his best to be soothing, but all it does is piss me off further.    

"Calm down? I told you, I don't feel good! I'm trying to sleep and you wanna play the stereo so loud the whole damn house shakes? What the hell is wrong with you?"    

"Oh come on... it's just music. You sleep with the TV on all the fucking time."    

"That's not the point! Last week when you were sick, who took care of you? Who made sure you got plenty of rest? I'm just asking for a little bit of courtesy, Justin. It really shouldn't be that difficult."    

Rather than apologize like we all know he should, his face turns a bright shade of red and he shakes his head.    

"See... this is exactly why I didn't want to talk about getting married. Just talking about it fucks everything up. Everything is all serious all of a sudden and you're just... you're not fucking fun anymore Mia. Before you got on this biological clock thing, you were fun and now... now, if it's not about dresses and babies and flower arrangements, you can't stand it."    

"Oh I'm sorry... I didn't realize this place was a bar." I roll my eyes and fold my arms across the chest. "And exactly how the hell does this have anything to do with getting married? We haven't talked about that in weeks!"    

"No... but that's the thought behind it. I won't give you what you want, so you're acting like a bitch and not letting me have fun."    

If he wasn't drunk, I would slap him senseless and let him really have it. But, one of us has to be the adult in this incredibly childish situation.    

"Fine... do whatever you want. Don't let me, of all people, ruin your good time." I mutter before trudging back up the stairs.    

He may be three sheets to the wind, but I can't help wondering if his little outburst is the truth finally coming to the surface.    

I guess only time's gonna tell.

 

 

 

"You Can't Always Get What You Want"-Rolling Stones   



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story