Author's Chapter Notes:
[[Fresh Air, Family, and Feelings]]

Adah rolled over, rubbing her face in the pillow of the guest bed she was given.  Something felt off, and it took her a moment to realize that she couldn’t hear Emma.  Adah sat up, looking at the baby monitor and noticing that it had been turned off.

 

While she was sure that Justin had grabbed Emma already, it still made her feel uneasy to not know where her baby was.  It was only her first full day in Tennessee and she was already out of sorts and uncomfortable.  Justin’s family members had been stopping by in droves because they wanted to see both Justin and his baby.  Adah was regarded with a cool indifference and it was unsettling.  Most everyone was polite enough, but she could still feel their penetrating gaze as they tried to figure out how she and Justin worked.

 

Shrugging on a t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants, Adah made her way past Emma’s room, checking just in case, and then down stairs into the kitchen.  She heard voice and then a soft giggle.  Rounding the corner, she spotted Lynn bouncing Emma lightly while Justin stood at the stove, cooking pancakes.

 

“Morning, Darlin!”  Lynn spotted her first, standing up and greeting her with a large smile.  Emma cooed and reached for her mother.

 

“Hey, it smells good in here.”  Adah glanced over at Justin, his grin mirroring his mother’s.  “Hey baby girl.”  She took Emma from Lynn’s grasp.  Walking over to Justin, Adah peeked over his shoulder, holding Emma up so he could lean over and give her a kiss.

 

“Morning, Adah.  Did you sleep okay?”  Justin turned back to the stove, a grin plastered on his face.

 

“Yeah, I did.  Thanks for getting Emma this morning.  I don’t know if I’ve slept in like that since she was born.”

 

Justin chuckled.  “Probably not, that tiny thing has a big voice.”

 

“That would be her father’s fault,” Lynn chimed in from the kitchen table.  She was enjoying having her son home, and she was enjoying the happiness that seeped from his pores.  Justin glowed whenever Emma or Adah were around him and Lynn was relieved to see the two adults getting along so well.

 

“Hey!”  Justin mocked hurt.  “That was mean, Momma.  You gave me these lungs.”

 

“And then you encouraged him to use them.”  Adah joined in, throwing Lynn a smile as Justin protested again.  “What were you thinking?”

 

Lynn shrugged, laughter bubbling from her throat as Justin gave them both dirty looks.  “I’m still trying to figure that one out, darlin’.”

 

Justin huffed, turning back to the stove.  “At least I’ve got Emma on my side.”

 

“Until she learns to talk.”  Both Adah and Lynn spoke at the same time, and then laughter spilled from their mouths.  Adah had to hand Emma over to Justin because she was laughing too hard and she was afraid Emma might fall.

 

“Women.”  Justin scoffed.  He glanced down at his daughter who gazed at him with his bright blue eyes.  “Please don’t grow up to hate your daddy.  Or be mean, like Mommy is.”  Emma blew spit bubbles at him. 

 

“Is that food done yet?  I’m starving.”  Adah had finally stopped laughing, her sides aching.  “Here, I’ll take Emma back.  Where did you put the formula?”

 

“It’s in the diaper bag, over by the table.” Justin motioned with his head, leaning in the direction he indicated.  “Let Mom do that, Ads.  You should eat.”

 

Adah stopped, contemplating what she should do before turning and handing Emma over to Lynn’s waiting arms.  She then grabbed a bottle and quickly put it together.  “Thanks, Lynn.  I really appreciate it.”

 

“You’re welcome, Darlin’.  The pleasure is all mine, really.  It’s not everyday I get to feed my grand baby.”  She grinned up at both Justin and Adah before putting her full attention back on Emma.

 

Adah took a seat at one of the bar stools at the counter, watching as Justin finished up with the bacon he was cooking.  A minute later he placed a plate of pancakes with bacon, and a jug of maple syrup in front of Adah.  “Milk or OJ?”

 

“Uhm, milk, please.”  She took a bite of the food, groaning in appreciation.  “I’m going to let you cook for me more often, Justin.  These are fantastic.  I usually avoid pancakes; when Sam makes them, they usually have egg shells in them.”

 

Justin chuckled, “Anytime, Ads.” It was meant to be an off hand comment, but he was surprised to realize that he actually meant it.  Being down here with his family and having Emma with him just made those strange feelings he’d been having lately get even harder to ignore.  His life was too complicated to even think about getting into a relationship, but it seemed like it would be so easy.  They both shared this incredible seven-pound bond, there was obviously attraction between them, and they got along well.  Justin cared about Adah beyond just being Emma’s mom.  He truly wanted her to be happy and he could see himself making her happy.

 

He was heading into dangerous waters, he knew, but sometimes he couldn’t help himself.

 

Maybe he was okay with pretending that they were a real family while they were down here.  Maybe it was okay to lower his guard for a little and stop worrying about right and wrong.  Maybe he just wanted to go with his gut for once.

 

Of course, the last time he went with his gut he ended up creating his daughter.  She was the light of his life, though, and he was proud to be her father.

 

He shook his head.  He was thinking too much.

 

“What do y’all have planned for today?”  Lynn’s voice broke Justin from his thoughts and he looked up at his mother.  She had a knowing smile on her face and she winked at him.  She was obviously aware of his thought process.  That woman was too intuitive for her own good.

 

“I thought I might take Emma and Adah over to the lake.  I wanted to show them some of my favorite places while we were here.  It’s only right that my little girl knows where her daddy grew up.”

 

“That sounds like fun.  Your Gram wants us over for dinner tonight, so be home for five.”

 

“Sure thing, Momma.”  Justin finished his food, placing his plate in the sink and gulping the rest of his juice.  “I’ll take Emma now.  I’m gonna go get her dressed.”

 

He gently took his baby from his mother, avoiding her penetrating gaze.  He didn’t want to face things yet; he wasn’t ready.  Maybe after he spent some time with Adah and he was better able to figure out his feelings.  Maybe.

 

Leaving the two women behind in the kitchen, Justin made his way up the stairs with Emma cradled gently in his arms.  Lynn and Adah watching him leave.

 

“We’re all so glad to have you guys down here.  I’m happy you came, Adah.”  Lynn’s soft voice made Adah turn and smile.  It was a slightly sad smile.  “You’re not happy to be here?”  Lynn knew that Adah was uncomfortable, she just didn’t know why.

 

Adah shrugged.  “I just feel that there are some people here that don’t think I have Justin’s best interests at heart.  They seem to miss the fact that I will always have Emma’s best interests in mind and that means I would never do anything to compromise Justin or his career.”  She bent her head, slightly ashamed of her feelings.  “Everyone’s been really welcoming so far, I guess I’m just feeling like I’m being judged behind all the smiling.”

 

Lynn chuckled.  “You’re right, you know.”  Adah looked at her sharply.  “But you can’t let their opinions bother you.  Paul and I know that you love Emma and that you are not out to get him in any way.  They’ll all figure that out, too, once they get to know you and see how you are with the two of them.”

 

Adah wasn’t sure what to say.  “I guess you’re right.”  Lynn stood and kissed Adah on the forehead, shooing her in the direction of the stairs.

 

“I know I’m right, darlin’.  Now, go get ready.  If I know my son he’s got an entire day planned for the three of you.”

 

Adah ascended the stairs, feeling slightly better about her unease.  Lynn was such a wonderful woman and Adah was entirely lucky for having her in her life.  It was difficult not having a mom and Lynn seemed to step in with ease.  There would never be a replacement, but it was nice to have someone who cared.

 

“Hey, you.  You’ve got twenty minutes and then we’re off.  Wear your bathing suit, too.  There’s sunscreen in the bathroom if you need it.”  Justin met Adah at the top of the stairs, Emma now dressed in a pale yellow sundress with a matching hat.  He pointed into Adah’s room and nudged her in that direction.  “Twenty minutes!”  He called after her before disappearing back downstairs.

 

~*~

 

It was hot out, but the air was clear and fresh and Adah appreciated being away from L.A.  It had been a long time since she’d taken a trip anywhere, and it was beautiful here.  It was also surreal to walk around with Justin without anyone batting an eyelash.  People called to him and waved, but it wasn’t like the frenzies that he created in L.A.  It was polite, welcoming gestures that he eagerly returned.  In town, he’d shown Emma off to anyone that would stop and listen for a moment, and everyone was completely polite and didn’t seem surprised that Justin Timberlake had a baby.  She couldn’t help but enjoy being able to be a family like this.  It was really nice to get to be with Justin outside of her apartment and not have to worry about being spotted.

 

Adah’s head was spinning.

 

She was seated on a blanket next to a beautiful, sparking lake.  Justin had Emma securely in his arms as he waded in the water; the little girl giggling and screeching as her feet and legs splashed in the cool lake.  It was a perfect moment.

 

Adah’s mind wandered back to her childhood; visions of princes, white castles, and happily-ever-after floating through her memories.  This wasn’t a fairy tale, by far, but it was the happiest Adah had been in a very long time.  She felt guilty for that happiness, though, because she’d left Brennan at home and she felt that she was being unfaithful.  Nothing had happened between her and Justin and she wasn’t planning on it, but it was difficult to ignore how incredible it was to spend time with him and watch him with their baby girl. 

 

It was leaving her awfully conflicted.

 

“Hey, Ads, come join us.  The water is beautiful.”  Justin waved her over, encouraging her into the water.

 

Adah stood, hesitating for a moment before slipping out of her sundress and letting it pool at her feet.

 

Justin had to force himself to shut his dropped jaw.  “Wow, Emma, you’re mom is a babe.”  He whispered, appreciating the small red bikini that adorned Adah’s body.  She looked incredible, most traces of Emma gone from her frame.  Her breasts were fuller and her hips a little wider set, but in Justin’s mind it only made her look even more attractive.

 

It was a very good thing he was standing in cold water.

 

“Shit, Timberlake, get a grip.”  He turned away from the sight of her walking to the water’s edge, taking a deep breath to calm his racing heart.  This wasn’t what he needed to be dealing with right now.

 

He heard Adah enter the water a moment later, the water rippling around him as she moved in his direction.  He chanced a glance at her, smiling as she reached him and held her arms out for Emma.

 

“She loves the water.”  He commented, handing his baby over to her mother.  “I’ve never see her laugh so much.”

 

“I love the water, too.”  Adah seemed to ignore him, dipping low into the water so she and Emma became mostly covered.  Emma giggled and slapped at the surface with her tiny hands.  “It’s beautiful out here, Justin.”

 

“I know.”  He blushed as he spoke, knowing his comment had nothing to do with the surroundings.  Mentally he berated himself.  “I used to come out here with Trace and our buddies all the time as kids.  It’s off the beaten path, not many people use it, and it’s some of the most refreshing water ever.  This is probably my favorite place in Shelby Forest.”

 

“I can certainly see why.”  Adah commented, smiling up at Justin.  She lifted Emma out of the water completely, feeling that her feet were getting cold.  “Let’s go sit.  I’m hungry.”

 

“Go ahead, I’ll be there in a little bit.”  Justin kicked himself for watching Adah exit the lake, the little bikini now sticking to her skin.  He could remember what that skin tasted like.

 

He let himself sink under the water’s surface, hoping the coolness would somehow turn the male part of his brain off.

 

What was happening to him?

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj pregnant