Author's Chapter Notes:

[[It can't get any worse than this...can it?]]

“She’s not available at the moment.”  Samantha’s voice was edgy and her eyes rolled violently in her head as she listened to the man’s voice on the other end. “No, I’m not going to leave her a message.  She has nothing to say to you.”

 

Brett watched with a sense of grim amusement.

 

“If Justin wants to talk to her, he’s more than welcome.  Obviously he’s got her phone number.  As for you tight wads, she’s got nothing to discuss.  She doesn’t want his money and she doesn’t want the publicity.  She just wants to be left alone.”  There was another slight pause before Sam clicked the phone off, stalked over to the wall jack and pulled the plug.

 

“What’s the matter, Sammy? Tired of talking to lawyers?”

 

The snort that left the petit blonde’s mouth was more than enough answer but she graced him with a response anyway.  “I don’t understand why it hasn’t gotten through their thick skulls! She doesn’t want anything to do with Justin unless he wants something to do with the baby.”

 

Brett shrugged.  “They just have to cover their asses, Sam.  Justin’s a huge star and they’re not going to take the chance that she goes to a tabloid or talk show or something and makes millions off of tarnishing his name.”

 

He was greeted with another snort.  “He could just as easily call her up and talk to her about this whole thing.”

 

“Maybe they won’t let him call until she’s signed an agreement.”  It was a suggestion, but Sam didn’t seem to like it at all.

 

“He’s a big boy, obviously.  If he can make the decision to stick his dick in Adah, he can pick up his phone and dial.”

 

Brett grinned, “That’s so eloquently put, Sam.”  He’s met with her toothy grin.  “Has Adah come out of her room today?”

 

Sam shook her head, the smile falling from her face.  It had been two weeks since the scene at Justin’s, and Adah had crawled out of her room for only the necessary bite to eat and glass of water. Her roommates weren’t even that sure she’d been showering regularly, but since she had her own bathroom in her room they had no way of knowing.  What the two did know was that they were sick of fielding calls from lawyers and representatives.  No one had heard anything from the man himself, and both Sam and Brett were getting pretty pissed off with Justin.

 

It took a little while for them to get the full story out of Adah, but it was pretty obvious that Justin just sat back and let his legal team take over without talking to Adah first.  It seemed pretty low of the guy to ignore a situation, especially a situation as life changing as this one.

 

“Whatever, I can’t hang around here and field calls for her anymore.  I have to get to work.”  Sam let out a huge sigh and grabbed her bag from beside the door.  “Can you pop your head in there and tell her I’m leaving?”

 

Brett nodded.  He watched Sam shut the front door and let out a deep sigh.  He really didn’t want to have to bother Adah but he was getting a little tired of being in the middle of all this crap.  Obviously he and Sam thought the world of Adah and he was going to do whatever it took to make sure she was taken care of.  Although, he had never thought it meant going as far as keeping lawyers of pop stars away from his girl.

 

A sound broke him from his thoughts and he looked up to see Adah shuffling out of her room.  She looked showered and her clothes were clean and unwrinkled.  “Well hey, what’s got you up and about?”

 

She glanced at him and shrugged.  “I have a doctor’s appointment for the baby.”  She sat on the couch and started to slip on her sneakers.

 

“Are you OK, Ads?”

 

She shrugged again.  “No. Yes. I don’t know.”  She finished tying a shoe and looked up at Brett with glassy eyes.  “I’m pregnant and I have no idea what I’m going to do about it.”  She took a shaky breath and attempted to calm herself down.  “I know that you and Sam have been taking calls for me.  I’m sorry that I’ve been such a recluse lately, I just needed some time to think.”

 

“Ads, you know Sam and I will do anything for you.  Don’t worry about the phone calls; Sam pulled the phone off the hook anyway.”  He caught a glimmer of a smile on her face and it made him feel a little bit better.  “Do you need me to come to your appointment with you?”

 

Adah shook her head.  “That’s ok.  I know you have to get to work.  It’s just a regular check up anyway.  No ultra sound this time.”  She grabbed up her purse and stood for a moment, looking around the room.  Things looked different even though she knew they weren’t.  Maybe it was being pregnant, or maybe it was all the soul searching she’d been doing lately.

 

“You still with me?  Or have you escaped to your home planet?”  Brett’s shoulder nudged her own as he walked her to the front door.

 

“You and Sam should really write this stuff down.  I’m sure there’s a struggling comedian out there that needs some crappy material to work with.”  Brett’s laughter caused Adah to smile and for the first time in two weeks she felt human.

 

“Call me later, let me know how everything goes today.”  Brett and Adah said their goodbyes and she climbed into her car. 

 

She was nervous about this appointment.  Facing this alone was scary and Adah had no idea what she was doing.  She had been thinking a lot about her options lately and she was seriously considering adoption.  She knew that abortion was totally out of the question for her, but keeping the baby wasn’t something she was sure she could handle.  Adah could barely take care of herself, how could she take care of a baby?  And she knew that there were couples out there that couldn’t have children of their own and would love to adopt.

 

It was a tough decision and she still had time to think about it.  The only problem was, she didn’t really want to think about it.

 

“Relax, Ads.”  She let out a deep breath and attempted to calm her nerves.  “You can get through this.”  It wasn’t a very heartfelt pep-talk, but it was the best she could come up with at the moment.

 

It took her twenty minutes to get to the doctor’s office and by the time she arrived she was a tangle of nerves.  All she could think about was this pregnancy and how she had no idea what she was going to do about it.  It didn’t help that she hadn’t heard anything from Justin at all and it just depressed her even more.  Not that she could blame him, but in her mind she was really hoping that he would at least sit down and talk with her.  He probably didn’t believe that the baby was his and she knew he had reasons not to.

 

If she were him, she wouldn’t believe her either.

 

She mentally chastised herself for perseverating on all of this.  She grabbed her purse and stepped out of the car, praying for this to be over quickly.

 

“Adah?”  A voice from behind caused Adah to jump, letting out a small squeal of surprise.

 

“Justin? What the hell are you doing here?”  She clutched at her chest, feeling her heart jumping under her skin.

 

“Hey…uh…”  he stuttered, shuffling his feet and avoiding her eyes.  His face was mostly shielded by the hood of his sweatshirt and a baseball cap.  “Sorry to scare you.”

 

“What do you want?”  Even though it was warm outside, Adah wrapped her arms around her waist.  Seeing Justin here was the last thing she expected and she had no idea what to do now.

 

“I’m sorry.”  He started, hesitating when a couple walked by and glanced in their direction.  “Can we go somewhere and talk?”

 

Adah found herself ready to lash out.  He wanted to talk? Now?  It had been two weeks and she hadn’t heard a damn thing from the man and he wanted to talk now?  This was ridiculous.  “I have a doctor’s appointment in a few minutes.  I can’t talk now.”

 

“After?  I’ll wait for you to get done and we can go grab some coffee or something.”  He seemed so different from the confident, aloof man she met those weeks ago.  Even farther from the man that had bedded her that fateful night.

 

“Why?”  He gave her a strange look, “Why now?  I don’t hear from you for weeks and suddenly you want to talk?  What changed?  Why not just send one of your lawyers?”

 

He huffed out a breath of air, still shuffling his weight from one foot to the other.  “I’m sorry about that, really.  I tried to get them to leave you alone and let me talk to you but they wouldn’t allow it.  They’re determined to get you to sign an agreement before we can see each other.  I had to find an excuse to get out so I could come find you.”

 

Adah was about to ask how he knew she was going to be here but she remembered that she had to get to her appointment.  “I have to go.”  She started to walk away but his hand on her arm stopped her progress.

 

“Please, I want to talk about…this…”  His eyes flicked to her stomach and she felt the butterflies erupt.  “I’m sorry about ambushing you but I really think we should talk.”

 

Adah sighed.  “Fine.  This should take twenty to thirty minutes.  I’ll meet you…?”

 

“Have you ever been to the diner on North Street?  Flo’s?” 

 

“Yeah, I have.  I’ll meet you there.”  She started to walk away again, turning once to see his eyes still on her.  “You aren’t going to stand there for the next thirty minutes, are you?”

 

He smirked.  “No.  I’ll see you in a little while.” 

 

This time she watched him walk away.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
I apologize to all of you that have been reading this story.  I know it's been way too long since I've updated and I also know that I said I was putting this on hiatus.  Fortunately, the response to that was enough to kick my butt into gear and keep plugging away.  So...I hope you enjoyed the new chapter.  Sorry if I don't get another one up right away.  Thanks for sticking with me :)  I appreciate the support!!!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj pregnant