Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, guys...here we go again!  I promised I wasn't done with these characters, and here's the new story to prove it!  :)  I'm excited to share this continuing journey with you and hope you guys enjoy it as much as the first two stories.  I am going to attempt to tell the story of Rachel and JC, Aubrey and Justin, and Megan and Jackson from the end of "Something Like You" until the epilouge of "Love Song", filling in "The Space Between".  Pretty clever title, huh? Yeah, I thought of it myself...lol...actually, it was inspired by Vikki!  :)

New Year's Eve

"Russia?" Twenty-two year old Aubrey Davis looked up in surprise from the popcorn she had been pouring into a bowl.  Her eyes focused on the girl standing next to her in the kitchen.  "Why in the world are you going to Russia?" She asked.  "In January?"

"Because that's were my fiancé will be for two weeks." Rachel Kline replied with a laugh, as if the answer were obvious.  Rachel reached over and grabbed a handful of popcorn from the bowl and began putting the kernels into her mouth. 

"Okay..." Aubrey drawled.  "Why is JC going to Russia in January?" She asked as she took a second bag of popcorn from its plastic wrapper and stuck it into the microwave.  Hitting the "popcorn" button on the black appliance she turned, folding her arms across her chest as she leaned back against the counter.  "Getting a jump start on the tour?" She teased.  "I know he's a workaholic, but this is taking it a little far I think."

"No." Rachel laughed.  "He's working on that movie part he got a few months ago." She continued as she walked over to the fridge. "Though he can't act to save his life." She muttered under her breath as she opened it and pulled out a bottle of water.  Aubrey chuckled.  Rachel offered the bottle to Aubrey but Aubrey shook her head. "They need him over there to do some scenes before he's unavailable because of the tour." Rachel continued as she closed the refrigerator and came to stand by Aubrey again.

Aubrey watched as Rachel opened the bottle in her hand and took a drink.  "And you're going because..." She trailed off in question. 

Rachel smiled.  "Because I'm addicted." She replied with a shrug and Aubrey laughed.  "What can I say?" She asked.  "I hate being apart from him.  You tell me...if Justin were leaving the country for two weeks and you had the ability to go with him, would you?"

"Probably." Aubrey conceded with a nod as she looked down at the engagement ring on her left hand, a smile coming to her lips as she thought about the man who had put it there a week ago.   

"There you go." Rachel said.  "That's why I'm going to Russia in January."

"Are you guys going to be back for Justin's party on the twenty-eight?" Aubrey asked as the microwave started beeping.  She turned and opened the door.

Of course!" Rachel replied.  "I am helping to plan it after all."

Aubrey smiled, though she rolled her eyes as she emptied the new bag of popcorn into the bowl.  Since she'd mentioned to Rachel a few weeks ago that she wanted to plan something for Justin's birthday at the end of the month, Rachel had all but taken over--quickly jumping into party-planning mode--and all Aubrey could do was sit back and smile.  She knew that more hassle and frustration would come from arguing with Rachel then in just letting her have her way.  How she was finding the time to plan this party with Aubrey while she was still in the middle of planning and putting together her own wedding was beyond Aubrey, but definitely worked to prove that the party planning arena was where Rachel belonged.

"We're leaving next Wednesday and we'll be back on the twenty-second." Rachel continued.   "Have you thought of what you're going to get Justin yet?" Rachel asked. 

"No." Aubrey shook her head as she picked up the bowl of popcorn.  "But at least I know he can't outdo me with anything like he did last week."  She continued as she held up her left hand.

"I still can't believe you two are engaged!" Rachel replied as she shook her head in amazement. 

"What do you mean, you can't believe it?" Aubrey asked with a chuckle.  "You were the one plotting to get us together from the beginning!"

"Yeah, but..." Rachel trailed off and Aubrey looked at her.  "I don't think I really thought it was going to happen." She admitted.  "You and Justin can both be very stubborn when you want to be." She continued as she pointed a finger at Aubrey in accusation.

"Says the queen of stubbornness herself." Aubrey quipped as she picked up the bowl of popcorn.  Rachel laughed.  "Come on." Aubrey said with a smile as Justin suddenly let out a cheer from the other room.  "We're missing all the fun."

 ~~~~~~

"Yeah!  Eat that!" Twenty-eight year old Justin Timberlake taunted in triumph as he turned and pointed a finger at his friend and band mate JC Chasez.  He laughed as JC groaned.

"Don't you ever get sick of being good at everything?" JC asked he turned his attention back to the flat screen in front of them--returning the game they'd been playing to the main menu. 

"Nope." Justin shook his head, puffing his chest out in pride.  "Can't say that I do." He replied.  JC chuckled as Justin pulled the small plastic guitar over his head.  "One of you girls want a turn?" He asked, turning to look at Aubrey and Rachel as they walked into the family room.

"I do." Rachel replied with a smile as she skipped walk towards him. 

"Careful," Justin warned in an exaggerated whisper as he handed her the guitar.  "His ego's been bruised." He gestured his head towards JC.  "He's a broken man so go easy on him."

Rachel laughed as she playfully pushed Justin away.  "Get out of here." She said as she turned towards her fiancé.  "You're going down, Chasez." She threatened as she pulled the guitar strap over her head.

"We'll see about that, Miss Sassy Pants." JC replied as he selected a song.

"Hey, no fair!" Rachel exclaimed.  "I don't know this song!"

"So?" JC shrugged.  "If you're really the champion you think you are, you shouldn't have any problem with it, right?"

Rachel stuck out her tongue at JC and Justin laughed as he turned away from the couple--leaving them to continue bickering good-naturedly--and walked towards the couch.  "Hey pretty girl." He said with a smile as he plopped down beside Aubrey.

"Hey." She replied with a grin. 

"You missed it." He told her as he leaned forward and kissed her quickly.  "I totally beat JC's ass with that last song."

"Mmmm...you're going to have to do it again, so I can see." She told him and he grinned as he kissed her again.  

"Why don't you get up there and take a turn?" Justin asked as he slouched down on the cushions and put his arm around Aubrey's shoulders.

"No thanks." She shook her head as she leaned back against him. 

"Why not?" He questioned as they watched Rachel and JC battling in front of them.

"Because it's more fun to watch you guys." She told him.  "And I'm not very good at video games."

"It's not really a video game." He countered.  "You're playing a guitar."

"Yeah, but it's the whole playing-notes-at-certain-times-while-watching-the-screen thing that gets me." She replied and he laughed as he tightened his arm around her. "I'm having fun just watching." She told him as she turned and smiled at him.  "This is a lot better than what I was doing last New Year's."

"What were you doing last year?" Justin asked as he reached over, took a handful of popcorn from the bowl and shoved the kernels into his mouth.

"I was snowed in at home with my parents." Aubrey answered.  Justin made an exaggerated noise of disgust and Aubrey laughed as she slapped his chest playfully.  "Come on." She said.  "It wasn't that bad."

"I'm kidding." Justin assured her.  "Your parents are great."

She smiled.  "What were you doing last New Year's?" She asked.  "Or do I not want to know the answer to that question?" She teased.

"Well..." Justin drawled as he looked at her guiltily. 

"Nevermind." Aubrey replied with a shake of her head as she turned back to watching Rachel and JC.  "Forget I asked."

Justin chuckled as he tightened both arms around her and pulled her back against his chest.  "I was here spending some quality alone time with Buckley and Brennan." He told her as he placed his lips against the side of her neck.  "What did you think I was doing?"

"I don't know." Aubrey shrugged.  "You were still dating Jessica this time last year, weren't you?" She asked.  "I just assumed you two were at some party or event or...something."

"We weren't together for New Year's." Justin told her.  Aubrey was quiet as Justin was reminded of what life had been like twelve months ago.  It was amazing to him how completely everything had turned around is so short a time. 

He still couldn't believe Aubrey had said yes when he'd proposed on Christmas--that she was now wearing his ring for the entire world to see.  He watched as the diamond on her finger caught the light when she moved to grab some popcorn.  He felt tempted at times to pinch himself to find out if he were dreaming. He had come close a few times to popping the question in some of his past relationships, but it had never been the right time.  He knew now that not only had it not been the right time, it had also not been the right girl.

Until now. 

His lips lifted in a smile as he thought about her parent's reactions when they'd found out.  Aubrey's mother had been ecstatic while her father...Justin's smile faltered slightly.  Her father had pulled him aside after dinner Christmas night and the two of them had had a lengthy and serious discussion in his office.

Justin had spent the better part of his life up on stage--performing in front of millions of people--but he never been so nervous in his entire life as he had been sitting in that small room with the Sergeant.  Henry Davis was a friendly, easy going man for the most part, but he could put the fear of God in you faster than you could cross yourself.  If there was one thing Justin was certain about it was that he and Aubrey were going to be together forever.  If the fact that he was hopelessly and completely in love with her wasn't enough, the painful and humiliating retribution promised by her father should he ever break his little girl's heart, was all the reason Justin needed to stay focused and committed to their relationship.

His mom had also expressed some hesitancy about how quickly he and Aubrey had become engaged.  It wasn't that she didn't like Aubrey, but she reminded him of the length of some of his past relationships and how he'd never been ready to take this step so quickly before.  Justin shook his head as he chuckled softly to himself, thinking about the conversation he'd had with his mom a few days ago. 

 

"I love Aubrey, Justin." Lynn said over the phone.  "I've told you before that I think she's a perfect match for you.  That's not the issue."

"Then what is the issue, Ma?" Justin asked as he sat out on his back porch, his long legs stretched out as his feet rested on the wood railing.  "I thought you'd be happy I was finally settling down and getting married."

"Well..."His mother paused.  "You and Jess were together for about two years and you were just beginning to think about maybe asking her to marry you, and then there was Cameron before that.  You two were no where near being ready to get married after the couple of years you were together.  I know you and Britt--"

"Stop." Justin said firmly.  He took a few deep breaths to calm his anger and frustration.  "Aubrey's not Jessica." Justin finally said.  "Or Cameron.  Or Britney."

"I know, Justin." Lynn answered with a sigh.  "I just--"

"Ma, the relationship I have with Aubrey is so completely different than any other one I've ever been in." Justin told his mother.  "It's been different from day one.  It's hard to explain everything I feel for her-I still haven't found the right words--but I know without a doubt that she is the one I'm supposed to be with." He continued with conviction.  "I love her." He stated.  "More than I have ever loved anyone before."

Lynn was quiet for a moment.  "Just promise me one thing." She finally said.

"What?" Justin asked.

"Promise me you won't rush the wedding because of everything going on right now." His mother asked.  "You both have enough that you're dealing with and I think that adding the stress of planning a wedding right now could cause more damage than good."

Justin's brows furrowed slightly as he thought about what his mother had said.  "I promise." He finally said.

"Good." Lynn answered.  "Now...when are you bringing this girl home so the rest of the family can meet her?"

 

"What do you want for your birthday?" Aubrey asked suddenly, bringing Justin out of his thoughts as she turned towards him.  She lifted one arm, resting her forearm on his shoulder as she used it to prop her chin up.  He turned slightly to face her--their noses brushing as their eyes met.  She looked at him expectantly but all he could think about was how beautiful she was.  He still hadn't figured out what he had done to deserve her.

"Well?" She asked with the rise of one delicate eyebrow as he continued to remain quiet.

"I'm sorry." He said as he shook his head slightly.  "What was your question?" He asked, unable to remember what she'd asked him a second ago.

She chuckled, her lips lifting in a smile.  "What do you want for your birthday?" She asked again as she nudged him, her hazel eyes holding his steadily.

"You." He told her without a pause as he closed the small space between them and pressed his lips against hers.

Aubrey pushed him playfully as she shook her head, a slight scowl coming to her face.  "You have me." She told him.  "What else do you want?"

He shrugged.  "Whatever." He said and Aubrey sighed beside him as her scowl deepened.  He chuckled at her obvious frustration as he reached over and grabbed another handful of popcorn from the bowl sitting in her lap.  "I don't need anything." He told her.  "So don't worry about it."

"Oh, I'm going to think of something." Aubrey assured him.  "I'm going to think of something really good." She promised him.  "And it's going to be a surprise."

Justin grinned.  "It always is with you." He told her as he leaned forward, once more pressing his lips against hers as he lifted one hand--his fingers threading through her hair.  "It always is." 

Their kiss was interrupted by JC who suddenly groaned in front of them.  Rachel threw up her arms and let out a triumphant squeal and Justin looked over at the couple standing in front of him--forgetting that he and Aubrey weren't alone in the house.

"Told you, you were going down!" Rachel laughed as she danced around a bit.

"Poor guy." Aubrey commented beside him.  Justin turned to look at her.  "JC can't catch a break tonight.  You two keep beating him.  I should get up there and play just so he can say he won at least once."

Justin laughed. "A think a pity win is the same as another loss.  So really, you wouldn't be doing him any good."

"I'm done with this game." JC said, pulling his guitar over his head.  "Rach, let's go home."

"Awe, come on." Rachel replied with a pout.  "Pick another song."

"No." JC shook his head.  "I'm done humiliating myself in front of you guys tonight.  Besides," He continued.  "We've got to be at the studio early tomorrow morning to start rehearsals." He pointed at Justin.

"I know." Justin replied, fighting to keep from rolling his eyes.  Since the reunion had been announced and the tour had begun to be organized, JC had quickly stepped back into his roll as "father" of the group and Justin had to fight back his irritation and frustration at the guy.  He wasn't a teenager anymore who didn't know what in the hell he was doing.  He had had, and still had his own incredibly successful career and didn't need anyone telling him or reminding him about where he was supposed to be or what he was supposed to be doing all the time.  He was beginning to feel the same sense of entrapment he had felt before he was given the chance to do his own thing and wondered if this whole reunion thing was really such a great idea.

"You guys can't leave yet." Aubrey insisted, once more bringing Justin out of his thoughts and he was grateful for the distraction from the path his thoughts and emotions had been on.  "It's not even midnight yet!" She exclaimed.

Rachel looked at her watch.  "Almost." She said as she sat down on the other couch.  "Come on, popstar." She said to JC as she patted the cushion beside her.  "Come sit by me so I can get my kiss at midnight." She grinned up at him.

"Kiss me at midnight," Justin began singing and Aubrey turned to look at him, an amused smile on her face as his perfect voice washed over her.  "Dance until the morning light." He winked at Aubrey and grinned.

"That's right!" Rachel said as JC sat down beside her.

Justin reached over and grabbed the remote lying on the coffee table.  Flipping through the stations he found the annual and traditional Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve celebration and turned the volume up slightly.  They watched the group performing for a moment until Justin spoke up.

"Jace, you remember when we preformed on this show that one year?" Justin asked as he slouched down further on the couch.

"Yeah." JC answered.

"Man it was cold!" Justin continued.

"I remember watching you guys." Rachel supplied with a smile. 

"Of course you do." JC said as he put his arm around her. 

"Is there a performance of ours you didn't see?" Justin asked Rachel.

"Possibly." Rachel replied, looking thoughtful for a moment.  "But I doubt it." She smiled.

"When did you guys perform on this show?" Aubrey asked, looking first at Justin then across the room at JC in question.

"2000." The guys and Rachel all said almost in unison. 

"Well, that explains why I don't remember see it." Aubrey replied with a laugh.

"Why's that?" Justin asked.

"That's when we were living over in Germany." She told him. 

"I'm sure I have a copy of it taped somewhere." Rachel offered.

"I'm sure you do too." JC teased as he rolled his eyes. 

Rachel playfully slapped JC's shoulder.  "That was when Justin still had all his curls." She grinned at Aubrey.  "You should definitely see it!"

Justin groaned.  "Heaven only knows what kind of blackmail that girl's got on all of us." Justin muttered under his breath, just loud enough for Rachel to hear him.  "She's one of those crazy girls that made it necessary for us to have all the security that we did." He told Aubrey.

"Careful what you say about me, Timberlake." Rachel replied, tossing a pillow at him.  Justin chuckled as he dodged it.  "Or some of that ‘blackmail' I have may just happen to find its way into a magazine somewhere or into the hands of your fiancé there.  I've got a few pictures of you that may make her rethink her decision to marry you." Rachel threatened from her spot on the couch.

"Oh yeah?" Justin asked.

"Yeah." Rachel replied as she folded her arms across her chest.  "Do the words buffalo skin coat, mean anything to you?" She asked with a devious smile and a sassy lift of one eyebrow.

Justin and Rachel stared silently at each other from across the room for a moment until Aubrey spoke up.  "I want to see the pictures." She told Rachel.  "They can't be that bad." She said, placing a reassuring hand on Justin's arm.  "You should see some of my junior high and high school pictures.  We all go through awkward phases."

Rachel laughed.  "What are you doing tomorrow?" She asked Aubrey.  Aubrey shrugged as she looked over at her.  "Come over and I'll introduce you to a whole other side of Mr. SexyBack there."

Aubrey turned to look at him as Justin groaned beside her.  "Please don't hold whatever she shows you," he said, glancing hard at Rachel and then turning his blue eyes on her.  "Against me." He pled.

Aubrey smiled at his worry and concern.  "I won't." She told him as she chuckled, once more placing her arm on his shoulder as she leaned towards him.  "I promise." She said as she kissed his cheek then laid her head on his shoulder.        

~~~~~~

"How do I look?" Justin asked Aubrey over his shoulder as he straightened the tie around his neck in the mirror Monday night.  Before she could answer, Rachel scoffed from across the room.

"Please." Rachel said.  "You're Mr. SexyBack. When don't you look good?"

"I look good?" Justin asked Aubrey as he turned to look at her, a mischievous glint in his blue eyes.

"You look great." Aubrey said, her eyes running over the white shirt and black vest he was wearing.  If there was one thing Justin wore well it was vests, and Aubrey couldn't help the smile that spread across her face as she looked at him.  "Better than those pictures Rachel showed me last week, that's for sure." She teased, giggling when he growled and put his arms around her-pulling her close.

"You promised you weren't going to hold those against me." He reminded her. 

"I'm not holding them against you." She replied, shaking her head as she ran her hands up and over his shoulders.  "I told you, you look great." She said, leaning forward to kiss him quickly.

"Don't stroke his ego." JC said as he came into the room.  "It's already too big.  It doesn't need any more help from you." He pointed at Aubrey.  "Or you." He said in reference to Rachel.  Aubrey laughed as she looked over her shoulder at the other man.

"Ignore him." Justin whispered as he tightened his arms around Aubrey.  Aubrey turned back to face him.  "You can stroke my ego anytime you want." He told her, his eyebrows wagging suggestively as he once more pressed his lips against hers.  Aubrey chuckled as she playfully pushed him away, feeling a little uncomfortable kissing him when she knew anybody could walk through the door behind them.

"The fun has arrived!"

Case in point.  She thought as Justin turned his head as Chris suddenly bounded into the room, loudly exclaiming his presence.  "Awe!" Chris exclaimed as his brown eyes took in the four people already in the room.  "Am I interrupting couple time?" He asked.

"If I said yes, would you leave?" Justin asked, moving his arm to rest around Aubrey shoulders as she turned slightly.

"Nope." Chris shook his head as he walked towards Aubrey.  "When are you going to leave this kid," he gestured his head towards Justin, "and let me show you what a real man can do for you?" He asked as he took a hold of her hand and pulled her away from Justin.

"I uh...well I..." Aubrey paused, completely flustered.  She didn't know what to say!  "I-I don't..." She looked back at Justin, silently begging him to help her out and Chris chuckled at her obvious discomfort.

"She's speechless in my presence." Chris continued with a grin.  "That's okay." He replied, soothingly.  "When you're ready, you let me know." He lifted her hand to his lips then turned and walked over to JC-the two men shaking hands and hugging in greeting.

"Where are Joey and Lance?" JC asked as Chris plopped down on the couch beside Rachel.

"Joey called me as I was driving in." Chris said as he put his arm around Rachel's shoulders, pulling her to kiss her cheek.  "He said he was almost here, but I haven't heard from Lance this morning."

"I'm here." Lance said as he walked into the room. 

"It's about time, slacker." Justin teased as he jumped up on the counter below the mirror he'd been looking in a few moments before.

"Just because I'm not OCD and insist on being everywhere and hour early doesn't mean I'm a slacker." Lance replied.  "Hi Aubrey." He said in greeting as he smiled at her.  "How are you doing?"

"I'm good." Aubrey said, giving him a hug.  She'd met Chris, Lance and Joey a few months ago when the guys had all been in town to announce their reunion and had been surprised at how quickly and easily they had all seemed to accept her in Justin's life and as a part of the group.  She smiled.  Less than a year ago she'd been struggling with feelings of loneliness and wanting to leave California to go back home and now where was she?  Engaged to one of--if not the--most eligible bachelors in the world, and a part of a close, tight knit group of friends.  Yes, life had gotten a little more complicated for her since the group had gotten back together and yes, she sometimes wished Justin wasn't who he was, but for the most part life had turned out pretty good. 

Not too bad for a simple country girl. Aubrey thought as she watched everyone talking and laughing together.  Not too bad.

"N SYNC to make-up."

Everyone looked up or turned around as a knock came at the door.  A producer stuck his head into the room.  "Time for make-up." He said then disappeared as quickly as he'd arrived.

"Well," Chris said, slapping his hands on his thighs as he stood up.  "You heard the man.  Time to go get pretty.  Where's Joe?  He said he was almost here."

"I am here." Joey said, finally walking into the green room.  "Sorry guys." He shrugged.  "My flight was delayed this morning and then we ran into traffic..." He took a deep breath.  "But I'm here."

"Alright." JC said as the five guys walked towards the door.  "Let's do this."

Chapter End Notes:

Let me know what you think, and if it's even worth it to tell this part of their story...



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: showersex jc justin