Rachel groaned as she began to wake up.  She turned her head as she put one hand over her eyes, trying to block out the light filtering through the curtains.  She tried to roll over--to put her head under her pillow--but found she couldn't move.  Her brows furrowed as she slowly opened her eyes, groaning again as the light in the room made the pain in her head multiply exponentially.  Turning to investigate the cause of her immobility, Rachel came face to face with JC, who was passed out beside her on the bed.  He had one arm flung across her waist as he lay on his stomach--his head turned towards her--while one of his legs lay tangled with hers.  She closed her eyes as she relaxed back against her pillow.  With him half on top of her like he was, she wasn't going anywhere for a while. For a man who was so blasted skinny he was deceptively heavy.  All of the work he'd been putting into getting ready for this tour the past six months had turned his entire body into muscle and Rachel didn't have the strength right now to move him.

She couldn't remember the last time she'd gotten as drunk as she had last night, but--despite the pain in her head and body--she smiled.  The after party last night had been amazing.  Everyone had teased her and JC for showing up late, but the teasing had soon stopped as the party had gotten underway.  Rachel didn't remember much of what happened after her third martini and second shot of tequila, except the fact that they had had the sense enough to call a cab to take them home.  How they'd gotten upstairs in one piece, she wasn't exactly sure but they had and then had promptly passed out.  She prayed that there hadn't been any embarrassing pictures taken of them as they had stumbled out of the club at two a.m.

Rachel was almost asleep again when her alarm clock began to go off.  JC didn't stir beside her and Rachel groaned as she put her arm out, her hand searching for the ‘off' button.  "Make it stop..." She grumbled out loud, her head threatening to split in half at the continued buzzing.  Opening her eyes when she couldn't find it right away, Rachel gasped when she saw what time it was. 

"Damn it!" She exclaimed, her heart racing in panic.  "Jace.  Jace, wake up."  Rachel turned off the alarm but still JC didn't move.  The man could sleep through anything.  "JC!" She pushed at his shoulder but all he did was let out a grunt as he turned his head away from her.  "Joshua, wake up!" She insisted.  Reaching over she pinched his upper arm--hard. 

"Ow!" He exclaimed, removing his arm from where it lay on her.  "Damn it, Rachel, leave me alone!"

"Get up." Rachel replied, pushing him off of her.  "You've got to be at the airport in an hour." She told him, finally sitting up as she slung her legs over the side of the bed.  "Whoa."  She reached out for the nightstand--grabbing onto it to steady herself as the world seemed to suddenly tilt around her.  "The car's going to be here to pick you up soon."

"Shit!" JC exclaimed.  He groaned and she turned to look at him over her shoulder.  He slowly went up on his knees and elbows--his head buried in his pillow as he groaned again. 

"Oh, my head..." He trailed off.

"Get in the shower." Rachel said as she stood finally.  "I'll go make some coffee."  Pushing the hair back from her face, she slowly made her way out of the bedroom and downstairs to the kitchen. 

Before they'd left last night she had had a stroke of inspiration and had decided to set the alarm for this morning--knowing that she would probably forget to do it when they got home.  And she had.  Luckily, most of JC's stuff had already been packed and sent on ahead with the tour buses, which had left last night and would be meeting up with the guys in Portland tonight.  Rachel grabbed the coffeepot and rinsed it out.  After adding water to the coffeemaker and pouring in some new grounds, she turned the machine on and sat down at the kitchen table.  Leaning over, she rested her head on her arms as she waited for the coffee to brew, and prayed for her headache to go away.  This was not the send-off she had imagined for JC as he left to go out on the road for the next six weeks but there wasn't anything she could do about it at this point. 

Dozing off for a few minutes, Rachel startled as the coffee maker beeped.  She stood and shuffled back over to it.  Opening a cupboard she pulled down the travel mug she used to take with her to work in the mornings.  Inhaling appreciatively, Rachel poured the dark liquid into the mug as JC finally made his appearance--hair still slightly damp from his hurried shower, and dark circles under his eyes.  Setting the pot back on the burner, Rachel snapped the lid onto the mug and turned to look at him as he dropped the small duffle bag he was carrying on the floor.  Rachel winced as the sound echoed in her head. 

"Ready?" She asked as she held the mug out to him. He shook his head as he took a sip.  Rachel turned back around, opening up a different cupboard this time, and pulled out a bottle of aspirin.  "Here." She said, shaking out two of the white pills.  She handed them to JC and watched as he put them in his mouth, tossed his head back slightly, and washed them down with the coffee. 

They heard a honk outside and JC turned, bending down to pick up his duffle bag.  He began walking towards the front door, Rachel following after him.  As he opened the door he put on his sunglasses as he turned to face her.  

Rachel put her arms around him as she went up on her toes to kiss him.  "Call me when you get there."

"I will." He promised as he kissed her back. 

"I love you." Rachel told him, putting a hand to his face. 

"I love you, too." He replied, as he kissed her once more.  "I'll call you tonight and I'll see you in a few weeks."

Rachel nodded, trying to hold back her sudden tears as she let him go and watched him walk away from her and towards the town car waiting for him.  She squared her shoulders and forced her emotion back, smiling as she waved at him.  It was only for a couple of weeks, she told herself.  They'd done this before when he'd been on his solo tour last year, and they could do it again.  But after this tour is over I want him home for good.  She thought as she finally closed the front door and leaned back against it.  She didn't like having to say good-bye to him.

Taking a deep breath and then releasing it, Rachel locked the front door and slowly climbed the stairs back to the bedroom.  Crawling back into bed she reached out, grabbed JC's pillow and hugged it to her chest.  She buried her head into it, inhaling his scent--and began counting down the days until she would see him again.

~~~~~~~~~

He reached his hand out, the back of his fingers gently stroking her soft cheek.  She shifted slightly, her lips parting with a soft sigh.  His blue eyes ran over her features--trying to memorize every freckle.  Reluctantly he turned and got out of bed, being careful not to wake her.  The next six weeks were going to be tough being away from her--now that she'd finally agreed to move in with him--and he knew an emotional goodbye would only make this harder on both of them.  Being as quiet as possible Justin quickly dressed, grabbed his duffle bag and-with one last longing look at the woman sleeping in his bed--left the room.

~~~~~~~

Aubrey woke with a start as she heard a door close downstairs.  She sat up in bed, her heart pounding as she looked over at Justin's side of the bed--knowing it would be empty, but hoping she were wrong.  Frantically she threw the covers off of her and jumped out of bed.  Hurrying downstairs she all but ran to the front door, hoping to stop him before he left.  He couldn't just leave without saying goodbye!  They weren't going to see each other for six weeks and he was just going to walk away without so much as a word?  She fumbled with the lock in her hurry to open the door but finally yanked the door open.

"Stop!" She cried out.  But the driveway was empty.  Quiet.  Her bottom lip trembled and she put a hand over her mouth as a tear slipped down her cheek.  Closing the door she leaned back against it and hung her head--hurt beyond words that he hadn't woken her up before he had left.  Why hadn't he woken her up?  How could he just--

"Aubrey?"

She gasped in surprise.  Her head snapped up, her eyes meeting his, and she sobbed as she threw her arms around his neck. "You were just going to leave?" She questioned through her tears.  "Without saying goodbye?"

Justin's arms went around her waist as he bent his head, his chin resting on her shoulder.  "I didn't want to make this harder than it already is." He replied quietly as he hugged her tightly.  "I hate saying goodbye."

"Six weeks, Justin!" She told him.  "You're going to be gone for six weeks and you were just going to leave?!"  She pulled back to look at him. 

"I'm sorry." He told her, lifting one hand to wipe away her tears.  "I didn't...I didn't want to make you cry."

"Too late." Aubrey replied. 

Justin cupped her cheek and looked at her for a moment--his eyes searching hers--then leaned forward, capturing her lips with his own.  Aubrey responded to the kiss, feeling almost desperate as she clung to him.  His mouth moved against hers in that perfect way that he had of kissing her and Aubrey prayed for time to stop.  She wasn't ready.  They had only been living together for a week and here he was leaving her.  She knew this was part of the deal she'd agreed to when she accepted his ring last Christmas and had moved in with him, but she wasn't ready to let him go. 

A honk sounded outside, causing her to jump slightly and pull away from him. 

"That's my cue." He told her, his thumb caressing her cheek.  She swallowed as she dropped her arms from around his neck--nodding, though her tears continued to fall.  "This is for you." He said, pulling a long white envelope from his back pocket.  "I was going to leave it on the table, but..."  Aubrey reached out and took the envelope from him.  She looked down at it for a moment then back up at him. 

"What is it?" She asked.

"It's a plane ticket." He told her.  "In one month." He continued.  "You're going to get on a plane and come see the show in Orlando.  After that I've got about four days off-just in time for your birthday."  He smiled and Aubrey's heart skipped a beat.  "There's a list in there of what I want you to pack." He bent and picked up the duffle bag Aubrey hadn't noticed in her hurry earlier.  Justin put his hand on her face again as he pulled her in for another kiss--groaning as another honk sounded, interrupting them.  "One month." He muttered, though she wasn't sure if he was trying to reassure himself or her that it wasn't that long of a time till they would see each other again.  He took a deep breath then took a step past her. 

Aubrey turned as he opened the front door.  "Justin, wait."  He stopped and turned back around to look at her.  She put her arms around him as she kissed him one more time.  "I love you." She told him.

"I love you." He replied.  "I'll call you tonight." He said.  Aubrey nodded and stepped up to the door, leaning against the wood as she watched him get into the car that had come to pick him up.  He blew a kiss to her as he got in and she clutched the envelope he'd given her tighter.  One month.  She told herself as the car left the driveway and disappeared down the street.  One month.          

~~~~~~~~

"Ma!"

Megan looked up from her laptop the next afternoon as Jackson walked into the bedroom with Scott on his hip.  She smiled, forgetting about the current book cover she was working on as Scott's face lit up at the sight of her. 

"Hi, baby." Megan held her arms out for him.  Jackson handed him over and Scott went to her eagerly.  Megan cuddled her son close--closing her eyes as she inhaled his familiar baby scent.  "Can I have a kiss?" She asked, pulling back to look at Scott.  The baby leaned forward, placing his open mouth against her cheek--leaving a slobbery kiss--and Megan laughed as she hugged him again.  Scott didn't want to stay still for long however, and was soon wiggling out of her arms.  Megan watched as he began crawling around the bed.

"How are you feeling?" Jackson asked.

"Better." She replied, looking up at him.  Her eyes followed him as he sat down on the edge of the bed. She readjusted the glasses on her nose and tucked her hair behind her ears.  It had been a week since she had been released from the hospital, but today was the first day she could tell her body was on the mend.  She had more energy and had begun feeling a little restless--wanting to get out of the house, or at least out of the bedroom.

"You haven't taken any pain pills today." Jackson observed, gesturing to the two white pills he had left on the nightstand for her this morning. 

Megan shook her head.  "I haven't needed them today." She turned to watch Scott once more, feeling nervous and unsure of herself around him.  Since being released from the hospital, Megan had made the decision to go home--hoping to show Jackson she had been sincere in her desire to work on their relationship.  Jackson had voluntarily decided to sleep in the guest room and--beside the kiss they had shared at the hospital--he hadn't made a single move to touch her since before everything had blown up between them.  He was attentive and doting-bringing her whatever she needed so she didn't have to get up and could rest--but Megan had begun to feel that maybe it was too late for them to fix anything.  Jackson was acting more and more like a "friend" everyday instead of a man in love and it broke her heart. 

Scott crawled over to his father and Megan watched as Jackson picked the baby up then stood.  "Come on, Scotty." He said, bouncing Scott on his hip and making him giggle.  "Let's leave Mommy alone while she's working.  Dinner will be ready in about an hour." Jackson said, looking down at her.  "Would you...would you like to come and eat at the table tonight?" He asked, a hint of hesitancy in his voice.  Megan watched as hope filled his blue eyes.  Maybe she was giving up too easily, her heart whispered.

"Yes." She nodded, her heart skipping a beat as she watched a smile spread across Jackson's face.

"Good." He replied, releasing what almost sounded like a sigh of relief.  Megan smiled.

"You said an hour, right?" She asked.

"Yeah." He nodded.  "It should be ready by then."

"Okay." She replied. 

"Okay." He echoed.  Jackson stood there, his eyes locked with hers, until Scott began wiggling in his arms.  The baby seemed to snap him from the daze he had been in and he turned to leave. "We'll, uh...we'll leave you alone."

Megan opened her mouth to respond-ready to tell him that they didn't have to leave--but Jackson beat a hasty retreat out of the room and down the hall.  She looked at the clock on the nightstand.  One hour.  She thought.  Reaching over, she saved her artwork on the laptop and closed the screen.  She may feel like she had more energy, but Megan knew it was going to take her a while to get ready for dinner.  She hadn't showered yet today and she wanted to before she made her appearance for dinner.

"Might as well get started." She muttered under her breath as she moved her legs over the edge of the bed and stood--turning to look at the nightstand again when her cell phone vibrated.  Megan grabbed the phone and flipped it open, reading the message she had received.

How are you feeling today?

Sitting back down on the edge of the bed Megan responded to Rachel's text.

Better. 

Rachel was quick with her reply and Megan laughed as she read the text.

Better? You've been waited on hand and foot by a handsome man for the last week and all you can say is, better?

Megan typed out her response.

And that handsome man just told me dinner is going to be ready in an hour.  I have to go.  I haven't showered yet today...

Setting the phone back on the nightstand she walked into the bathroom and closed the door. 

~~~~~~~

"What's all of this?"

Jackson turned from where he was standing at the stove at Megan's question.  She looked at the table he had set--complete with tablecloth and napkins--then back at him with curious eyes. 

"Dinner." He replied, trying to fight the desire he had to pull her into his arms and kiss her soundly.  She stood looking at him in stunned silence. 

"You should have told me this was going to be a formal event." She replied, a hint of teasing in her voice as she sat down at the table.  "I would have worn something besides my sweats."

He grinned as he turned back to the pasta boiling on the stove.  "You look great to me." He told her.  And it wasn't a lie.  She did look great to him.  He snuck another glance over at her--taking in the pair of grey sweats and black T-shirt she was wearing.  Her hair was still damp from the shower he had heard her taking, and she had pulled it back into a loose ponytail.  Jackson wanted nothing more than to pull her close and inhale the clean, familiar scent of her shampoo. 

He had been surprised when she had been released from the hospital and she had told him she wanted to come home.  Surprised but grateful.  He had taken her home and had done everything he could to make sure she had everything she needed and was taken care of while she was recuperating.  He had noticed a difference in her today--she seemed to have more energy and just looked healthier--and had decided, now that she was healing physically, it was time to start healing their relationship. 

"Where's Scott?" Megan asked, bringing him out of his thoughts. 

"Your mom came by a few minutes ago and picked him up." He replied, taking the pot of noodles off the stove and draining them into the colander he'd placed in the sink.  Once drained he placed the pasta back into the pot, added a little bit of olive oil to keep them from getting sticky, and added the jar of spaghetti sauce he had opened earlier to them.  Mixing the pasta and sauce together, Jackson then transferred the spaghetti into a bowl and walked over to the table. 

"So it's just the two of us tonight?" Megan asked, her hazel eyes watching him closely as he sat down across from her.

"Yeah." Jackson nodded, suddenly feeling nervous-wondering what she was thinking.  "Is that..." he hesitated.  "Is that okay?"

"Yeah." She smiled hesitantly, the barest hint of a blush on her cheeks as she looked down at the table.  Jackson smiled at her reaction.  He knew it was going to be slow going--earning her trust back--but he was confident he could do it.  He knew she still loved him...all he had to do was remind her of that fact and prove to her that they belonged together.

One step at a time.  He thought as he took the plate Megan held out to him and put some spaghetti on it.  One step at a time. 

~~~~~~~~

"Dinner was great, Jackson." Megan said as she finished the last bite of her salad and put her fork on her now empty plate.  "Thank you."

"You're welcome." He replied with a smile and Megan's stomach quivered slightly.  She had been afraid that dinner was going to be awkward, but there hadn't been an uncomfortable moment yet.  Jackson had kept the conversation going--asking her about the latest cover she was working on and how things were going working on the designs Rachel wanted for her company--and Megan had felt herself relax.  It had felt sort of like a first date all over again which she had thought was kind of weird, until she realized that that was exactly what it was.  Because of all of the secrets and lost trust between them it was like they were starting over from scratch--having to get to know each other all over again.  She pushed back from the table, intent on taking her plate to the sink until Jackson stopped her.

"Let me do that." He said, standing and taking the plate from her. 

"I can help." She insisted. 

"I don't want you to overdo it." He shook his head and she watched as he took the dishes to the sink. 

"Jackson..."

"This won't take me long." He continued, as if he hadn't heard her.  "Go sit down on the couch and rest."

That's what I've been doing all week! Megan thought with an irritated sigh as she turned and walked into the family room.  She was getting bored of "resting."  Sitting down in the middle of their large leather sofa she turned on the television and began flipping through the channels until one caught her attention. 

N SYNC is doing it again. 

The group that once shattered sales records with their CD, "No Strings Attached" back in 2000,  is taking everybody by surprise again.  It's been almost eight years since they were all on stage together, performing, but the guys-Justin, JC, Joey, Lance and Chris-look like they never took a day off.  With sales of their latest album reaching almost five million in the last four months, the group kicked off their U.S. tour with a show last week in L.A. to an almost sold-out crowd.  Once again these five guys are showing the world they have what it takes to be successful and they're reminding all of us why we fell in love with them in the first place. 

Megan sighed as she leaned back against the couch and continued watching Entertainment Tonight.  She had been planning on going to the guys' first show in L.A. with Rachel until she'd found herself in the hospital last week.  Rachel was coming to Phoenix and they were going to go to the show here together, but it wasn't going to be the same and she couldn't help feeling disappointed.  She loved Rachel like a sister, but sometimes Megan found herself envying her best friend the life she had--living in L.A., starting her own company, living with and engaged to her teenage idol...

"Is there anything good on tonight?" Jackson asked, drawing Megan from her thoughts as he came into the room.

Megan turned to look at him.  "Not really." She replied as she began flipping through the channels again.  "You'd think that with all of these channels we have that something interesting would be on." She remarked dryly.

Jackson chuckled.  "Makes me wonder sometimes why we even pay for satellite.  Do you want to watch a movie?" He asked.

"Sure." Megan nodded. 

"What do you want to watch?" He questioned, walking over to the shelving unit that held their DVD collection. 

"I don't care." Megan replied.  "Surprise me."  She watched him as he perused through the movies for a few moments, finally selected one and put it into the player.  Megan's eyes followed Jackson as he came to sit down next to her--making himself comfortable against the arm of the couch.  "What did you pick?" She asked.

"You told me to surprise you." He replied with a glint of something almost mischievous in his dark blue eyes.  "Watch and see."

Megan looked at him for a few more seconds then turned her attention back to the television.  She smiled when the opening menu appeared on the screen.  "While You Were Sleeping?" She asked, turning back to look at him.  "Did you pick this just because it's my favorite?" She questioned.

"No." He shook his head.  "I picked it because it's one of the first movies we ever watched together." He told her.

"I remember." Megan smiled, a tingling sensation beginning in stomach and spreading throughout the rest of her body as Jackson continued to look at her intently.  "Valentine's Day, right?" She asked.  He nodded.  She remembered being surprised to discover he owned the movie and laughing at his admission that his sister had made him buy it so he would have a chick flick for when he ever had a girl over.  "We fell asleep on the couch together and then I woke up the next morning and you had carried me to bed." She continued, reliving the memory in her mind. "That's when I..." she trailed off, suddenly nervous about telling him that that had been the night she had known she was falling in love with him.  They had only been on a few dates prior to Valentine's Day, but that night had solidified her feelings for this man sitting beside her. 

"When you, what?" Jackson asked. 

"Nothing." Megan shook her head as she turned to look at the screen once more.  Pushing play, she set the remote aside and tried to ignore the fact that Jackson was staring at her--and the way her heart was pounding nervously in her chest. 

~~~~~~~

Jackson sat, watching Megan as she concentrated on the movie.  He wanted to reach out and touch her, but didn't want to push her farther than she was comfortable with right now.  He felt certain he knew what she had been about to say earlier, but again--he didn't want to push her.  Pushing wasn't going to earn her trust back.  With a sigh he finally tore his gaze away from her as he stretched his legs out in front of him, one arm going up on the back of the couch--praying for the inspiration he needed to know what to say to her that would put him back in her good graces. 

He was surprised when Megan suddenly shifted and leaned against him.  His heart leapt in his chest as she put her head back against his shoulder.  He turned slightly, to make it more comfortable for her and she nestled against him.  He couldn't help the hope that flared to life in his chest.  Hesitantly, he dropped his arm down from the cushions and wrapped it around the front of her shoulders--wondering what she would do.  When she didn't pull away or ask him not to touch her he leaned his head back and closed his eyes-sending a silent prayer of gratitude heavenward. 

They stayed like that for the rest of the movie and it wasn't until he reached over for the remote to turn off the TV that Jackson realized Megan had fallen asleep.  He moved--transferring her from laying against him, to lying down on the couch--thinking she would wake up but she stayed asleep.  Walking towards the hall he turned on the light then walked back to the couch.  He stood looking down at Megan for a moment then bent slightly.  Sliding one arm beneath her head and the other beneath her knees he lifted her into his arms.  She let out a quiet sigh as she rested her head against his shoulder and he wanted nothing more than to keep her in his arms like this forever; to know that she was safe and that she trusted him was all that he wanted. 

He knew he couldn't just stand there holding her all night however, and began walking down the hall towards the Master bedroom.  Intent on putting her to bed and then leaving her to go sleep in the guest room where he had taken up residence, Jackson placed Megan down on the mattress.  He couldn't resist reaching out to caress her cheek with the back of his hand, and gave in to the desire to kiss her--leaning down to press his lips against her forehead.  Finally forcing himself to take a step back Jackson turned to leave the room. 

"Jackson?"

Megan's sleepy voice caught him by surprise and he turned to look at her.  "I'm here." He answered, stepping back towards the bed.  "What do you need?"

Megan reached her hand out, grabbing one of his.  "Stay." She requested and he wanted to pinch himself to see if he was asleep.  She let go of his hand and he watched as she scooted towards the middle of the bed and turned on her side facing away from him. 

Jackson stood rooted in place, trying to decide what to do.  He wanted to crawl in bed beside her, but did she really know what she was saying or was she still asleep?  Would she be upset to find him in bed with her in the morning?  His head and his heart argued for what seemed like forever until finally he decided to throw all caution to the wind. 

Stepping back out into the hallway, Jackson turned off the light--the streetlight outside providing the only illumination in the bedroom.  Peeling his shirt off over his head, he walked over to the dresser and pulled out a pair of cotton pajama pants.  Trading them for the jeans he was wearing, Jackson walked back over to the bed.  Taking a deep breath, and praying this wouldn't come back to bite him in the morning, he lifted the sheets and slipped beneath them.  Rolling over on his side next to Megan--molding his body around hers--Jackson wrapped his arms around her. 

"I love you." Megan breathed and he felt like crying.  Jackson pressed a kiss to her shoulder and tightened his arms around her--attempting to get as close to her as possible.

"I love you, too." He choked out, his voice cracking with emotion.  "I love you, too."  He heard her breath out a quiet sigh and knew she had fallen asleep again.  Closing his eyes, Jackson relaxed like he hadn't been able to in weeks and quickly followed her.

One step at a time...



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: showersex jc justin