Author's Chapter Notes:

well guys...this is it.  :(  Sad to say our journey with these characters is over.  It's been a long and bumpy road and, while I could continue writing about their lives, I kind of want to leave while everyone is happy!  lol..

I'm always looking for my next storyline, so if you have an idea or suggestion let me know  :) 

 

Rachel raised her glass of champagne and pressed it to her lips.  Taking a sip, her eyes surveyed the room and the people filling it.  This day had been a long time in coming and the result had brought several people into town that she hadn't seen in a while-not out of neglect, but because life had a funny way of taking over and priorities had changed like they had a tendency of doing.  She smiled as she observed her daughter.  Claire was breathtaking--the perfect bride.  The dress she had chosen was simple with a beaded corset and a plain, white, satin skirt but Rachel had never seen her daughter look more beautiful.  The thick curls she had inherited from JC were pulled back away from her face and cascaded down her back while the diamonds at her ears and throat glittered attractively--drawing attention to the look of absolute happiness on her face.  Rachel watched as Megan and Jackson's son, Scott, came up to Claire, slipped his arm around her waist, and then led his bride out to the dance floor. 

Megan and Jackson had moved to L.A. shortly after Rachel and JC had gotten married, allowing their children to grown up together.  Though Claire was the same age as Megan's daughter Emily, it was Scott that had become her best friend.  The two had formed a strong bond of friendship like their mothers had before them but Rachel had watched, along with Megan, as Scott and Claire's relationship had slowly changed over the years.  The friendship was still there and provided the solid foundation they had needed for the love that had grown between them to succeed.  Rachel had a hard time believing sometimes that the kids were old enough to be getting married but, while she had cautioned Claire about getting married so young, they were both adults.  Scott and Claire were past the age when their parents could tell them what to do and they had decided they wanted to get married. 

Scott had turned twenty-six at the beginning of the year, had finished graduate school and was now working for a large architectural firm in Los Angeles.  Claire, who had inherited a love and talent for dancing from both of her parents, had earned herself a dancing scholarship to UCLA and was in her senior year competing with the school's dance team, teaching three days a week at a private studio, and beginning to earn herself a reputation as talented choreographer.  Thanks to her father and his musical connections, Claire had been in several music videos over the last couple years and had been able to work with some of the best choreographers currently out there--taking what she had learned and putting it to good use both at school and at the studio where she taught.

Rachel smiled as the song ended and Scott handed Claire over to her father for the next song.  Rachel's eyes focused on the man who, for the last twenty seven years that they had been together, had never once wavered in his loyalty and devotion to her.  They were about to celebrate their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary and Rachel felt her heart swell as she watched JC twirl Claire out on the dance floor--the smile on his face crinkling the corners of his blue eyes in the same adorable way it always had.  His hair was now generously sprinkled with gray and he hadn't been on tour or recorded a song in over twenty years, but she loved him more today than she ever had and she knew that he loved her--deeply and without question.  JC wasn't simply her husband.  He was her best friend, her confidant and her partner in every way.  He was a passionate lover and, though he was still able to make her knees weak and leave her breathless when he kissed her, more importantly he was a devoted father; a fact that had made him all the more attractive to her over the years.  Claire and her younger brother Kyle--a replica of his father, and a surprise addition that had come along a few years after Claire had been born--held a very special place in his heart.  JC took his role as father seriously and Rachel adored him for it.

"Rachel?"

Rachel was startled out of her thoughts by someone calling her name.  She turned and looked up, gasping in surprise.  "Aubrey!" She exclaimed as she stood and put her arms around the woman she hadn't seen in a few years.  Aubrey laughed as she hugged Rachel back.  "Oh, it's so good to see you!" Rachel insisted as she pulled back. 

"It's good to see you, too." Aubrey replied with a smile. 

Rachel spotted another familiar face over Aubrey's shoulder and put her arms around his neck as well.  "Hi, Justin."

"Hey, Rachel." Justin greeted her as he hugged her back.  "Long time, no see." He remarked.

"I think I'm going to cry!" Rachel proclaimed as she looked back and forth between Aubrey and Justin.  The couple looked at each other--Justin sliding his arm around his wife's waist-then back at Rachel with smiles on their faces.  "It is so good to see you guys!  Sit down, sit down.  Tell me what's been going on.  How's everything?  Are you two still in Tennessee?  Did you bring Randy?" She asked, looking around.  "I haven't seen him since we were out there for Thanksgiving four years ago."

Justin chuckled at Rachel's string of questions as he held a chair out for Aubrey then sat down next to her.  "Same old Rachel." He remarked under his breath.

"So?" Rachel prompted.  "What have you guys been up to lately?"

"Nothing really." Aubrey replied.  "Just life."

"Are you still teaching?" Rachel asked. 

"Yeah." Aubrey nodded.  "Fifteen years, can you believe it?"

"That's great!" Rachel exclaimed.

Six months after Rachel and JC had gotten married a rumor had begun circulating that Justin Timberlake had married his girlfriend of less than a year, Aubrey Davis.  The story was supported by a picture that had been taken of Justin around town, clearly showing him wearing a ring on his left ring finger.  A week later, in response to the rumor, Justin had released an official statement publicly announcing that he and Aubrey had gotten married at a secret and private ceremony on her birthday.  The media had gone crazy over the announcement, which had only helped in promoting the reunion tour the guys had been on, and Aubrey had found out firsthand what it was like to be a target of the paparazzi.  Being Justin Timberlake's girlfriend was one thing--being his wife was completely different.  Everyone had wanted to see and know about the woman that had finally managed to get the Prince of Pop to settle down and make him do what no other woman before her had managed to.  Once all the questions had been asked and the tour had come to an end the media craze had died down, until a year later when it came out that Justin and Aubrey Timberlake were expecting via a surrogate. 

After the baby-Randy Michael Timberlake-had been born, the couple had packed up, leaving L.A. for good to settle down in Justin's hometown in Tennessee.  Justin was still known and respected in the music industry but, like JC, hadn't released anything new in almost twenty years.  He had continued to stay busy with his clothing line, working behind the scenes with his record label and different charities he was a part of, and playing in an occasional celebrity golf tournament here and there but, like his former group-mate, Justin had mostly taken to being a family man once his son was born--a position that suited him well.  He was still Mr. SexyBack-just with a little gray at the temples now. 

"Sorry we missed the ceremony earlier." Justin apologized as he signaled to a passing waiter.  The man stopped and Justin retrieved two glasses of champagne from the tray he held.  Handing one to Aubrey he took a sip of the other.  "Our flight was delayed."

"That's okay." Rachel smiled.  "I'm just glad you two are here!  It's been too long since we've had a chance to get together."

"Claire looks so beautiful." Aubrey stated.  "She and Scott certainly make a great looking couple.  It's hard to believe these kids are all grown up and getting married."

"I know." Rachel replied.  "The time goes by so quickly."

"Where's Megan?" Aubrey asked.  "I didn't see her when we came in."

"She's here." Rachel said, looking around for Megan.  "There she is." She pointed across the room.  Megan must have sensed someone was talking to her because she turned around at just that moment.  Rachel waved at her and Megan waved back, smiling when she saw Aubrey and Justin sitting with Rachel.  Megan held up a finger, indicating she would be over in a minute and Rachel turned back to Aubrey and Justin as a tall, lanky young man approached the table.  He was the spitting image of Justin--the same curly light brown hair, the same build, the same facial features.  Aside from the hazel eyes he had inherited from his mother, there was no mistaking that this was Justin Timberlake's son. 

"There he is." Justin supplied when he saw Randy, pointing at his son.

"Hi, Aunt Rachel." Randy greeted her with a hug as she stood. 

"Hi, yourself!" She replied, pulling back to look at him.  "It's good to see you.  I was just telling your mom and dad that it's been too long since we've had a chance to see you.  I bet you get this all the time, but you look just like your father did at your age." She told him, feeling like she had stepped back in time twenty-five years as she looked at Randy.

"Yeah." He chuckled.  "So I've been told."

"So, have you been breaking a lot of hearts at Harvard this semester?" Rachel asked as she sat back down.

"Naw." Randy shook his head as he sat down next to Rachel.  "There's no time." 

Rachel watched as Aubrey looked at her son proudly.  Randy had worked hard to get a 4.0 in high school, had graduated last year with honors with an undergraduate degree in biology and was currently in his first year of medical school at the prestigious university.  His parent's were both extremely proud of him and, with his ambition and passion for medicine, Rachel had a feeling the Timberlake name would once again be well known and respected the world over. 

"Don't let school take up all of your time." Rachel replied.  "There's no sense wasting all of your good looks on books."  She smiled when Randy's cheeks warmed slightly.

Justin chuckled.  "He was hoping to see Emily." He supplied.

"Dad!" Randy exclaimed, looking at his father in shock. 

Rachel's smile grew as the younger man's cheeks blazed.  "Ah!" She mused.  "I see."  She nodded.  "Well, you're in luck." She told him.  Rachel leaned towards Randy.  "She's right over there." She said, pointing at Scott's younger sister who was currently taking pictures of the bride and groom as they were dancing once again.  Randy looked in the direction Rachel was pointing.  "Why don't you go talk to her?  Say hi?  I'm sure she'd love to see you."

"In a minute." He replied.

Rachel looked over at Aubrey and Justin who both smiled knowingly at her.  Although their kids knew each other and the three families had spent summers together when they were all younger, it had been five years since the last time they had all gotten together.  As the kids had gotten older and gone off to college, it had gotten harder to find a time when everyone could get together.  The last summer vacation they had taken had been right after Claire had graduated high school.  Scott had been studying for a semester in Italy and Megan and Jackson were making it a family trip to go pick him up.  They had invited Rachel and JC and their kids to come as well as Justin, Aubrey and Randy.  The trip had been amazing, but what Rachel was remembering now was all the time Randy and Emily had spent together as they had been touring the ancient city.  She hadn't thought anything of it at the time but now wondered if that hadn't been the beginning of something between these two.  Emily had grown up and matured into a beautiful young woman and Randy...Rachel chuckled to herself.  Well, Randy's a Timberlake.  She thought.  There was really nothing more she could say about the boy.  He was good looking, charming, sweet, laidback, and had a slight southern drawl that Rachel was sure made all the girls swoon.  Not to mention the fact that he was smart, educated and working on becoming a doctor.  He was the perfect catch and Rachel suddenly wanted to get them together--to see if there was a spark of any sort.

"There's no time like the present." Rachel whispered, trying to be the little devil on his shoulder.  Although he had gotten his father's charm and good looks, he had inherited his mother's temperament.  He was more reserved and quiet than Justin had ever dreamed of being and Rachel knew Randy was going to need a little pushing to get up and walk over to say hi. 

"She looks like she's busy." He muttered, though his eyes stayed locked on Emily. 

Rachel sighed.  "You're as stubborn as your parents." She stated.  Randy turned to look at her in question.  "I could tell you stories about how hard I had to work to get those two together." She told the young man, gesturing towards his parents.  Justin and Aubrey chuckled as they looked at each other.  "Go say hi." She prompted.  "You're going to regret it if you don't."

Randy took a deep breath then finally pushed his chair away from the table and stood up.  Rachel, Aubrey and Justin all watched in interest as he made his way towards Emily--the three adults smiling when they saw him tap Emily on the shoulder and she turned around, greeting him with a huge smile and a hug. 

"Yeah, I still got it." Rachel replied smugly as she leaned back in her chair and folded her arms across her chest.  "Another Timberlake bites the dust."  


Completed
azchickadee is the author of 14 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 17 members. Members who liked The Space Between also liked 537 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Crazy Love. The previous story in the series is Something Like You. The next story in the series is Rock Your Body.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: showersex jc justin