Author's Chapter Notes:
This one's a little longer than the last couple...
"Come on!" Justin whined as he got out of his truck.  "It's almost eight o'clock." He reminded Aubrey.

"So?" She asked, as she began walking towards the building she'd had him drive across town to.

"So..." he drawled as he set the alarm on his Escalade and followed after her.  "In four hours my birthday will be over." He stated.  "And you have yet to give me my present."  His eyes roamed over the back of her. 

Damn, she's hot!  He thought as he watched her hips move and her hair bounce slightly as she walked in front of him.  Her dark jeans, black shirt and heels were simple but the silver necklace she wore--along with delicate hoops in her ears--made the outfit classy and he smiled.  That was Aubrey: simple but classy, and he loved it!  The diamond on her left hand suddenly sparkled--catching the light from the building--and an excited thrill went through him.  He couldn't imagine a better feeling then the one that came with knowing that it was his ring she was wearing--a public symbol to the entire world that she was his.  He'd been gone for a week, due to his responsibilities with his record label, and he was looking forward to spending tonight with her. 

~~~~~~

"Relax." Aubrey chuckled as she shook her head at Justin's whining.  He was worse than a kid sometimes!  His eyes met hers as she looked over her shoulder at him.  "I just have to pick up this one thing for Rachel," she told him as they approached the back door to the club.  "Then we can go home and I will give you your present."  Her heart fluttered nervously as the muffled sound of loud music playing inside coming through the metal door.  She wondered if he'd figured out where they were yet.  She'd kept him talking as they driven over here, hoping to distract him, and had brought him to the club from the opposite direction--winding through different streets--and had him park in the back, but Justin was smart and she was afraid he was going to figure out what was going on and ruin the surprise.

Justin reached out reflexively as they arrived at the back door and opened it for her.  "Thank you." Aubrey smiled at him.  "This isn't going to take long." She lied. 

"Promise?" He asked as they walked down a short, darkened hallway, the sound of the music playing in the main room growing louder.

"I promise." She told him.

~~~~~~

Justin continued following Aubrey, his brows furrowing in question as he looked around--a sense of déjà vu enveloping him.  He'd been here before.  He just couldn't quite but his fingers on where they were...

"Where are we--" he began but stopped as they rounded a corner.  He looked around in surprise as everyone in the room turned to look at them.

"Happy Birthday!"  The cheer went up.  Several people held up their glasses in salute to him and he laughed.  He knew where they were now, but the club had been completely transformed.  The lights were dimmed but there were stands of white lights strung up all over, helping to give the room a magical feeling.  Different groupings of chairs and tables were set up around the room, and servers walking through the crowd carrying trays of hors d'oeuvres, while a DJ was set up in the back corner of the room spinning the music.

"Surprise." Aubrey told him.  Justin looked down at her.  "Happy Birthday." She smiled up at him, her hazel eyes twinkling. 

"You little sneak!" He grinned as he put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close.  He pressed his lips against hers.  "What happened to picking up something that Rachel needed and then going home?" He asked as he pulled back and they walked farther into the club.  He nodded his head in greeting and shook a few hands as Aubrey slipped her hand into his--her fingers threading with his.

"We can spend a quiet night at home any night." She told him.  "It's your birthday!  It's time to celebrate." She smiled up at him. 

Justin looked at her for a moment then drew her off to the side of the room--away from the majority of the people that were there.  "Thank you." He told her.

"You're welcome." Aubrey smiled. 

"This isn't my present, is it?" He asked his blue eyes narrowing as he looked at her.

Aubrey laughed as she stood up on her toes and pressed her lips against his.  He was just getting into it when she pulled back, turned him around and pushed him back towards the center of the room.  "No." She whispered.  "Now, go have fun.  I'll come find you in a few minutes."

~~~~~ 

"This place looks great!"

Rachel looked up as Aubrey approached her.  "Hi!" She smiled as she gave Aubrey a hug.  "You like it?" She asked, looking around them at the club that she'd worked to transform for the evening's festivities.

"Yeah!" Aubrey nodded as she looked around.  "I love all the lights.  That was a great idea. "

"Thanks." Rachel replied, brushing the hair back from her face.  She put her hands on his hips as she looked around.  The place did look great.  When Aubrey had told her last month that she wanted to do something for Justin's birthday and wanted her help, Rachel's mind had immediately started racing with different ideas and plans on what they could do.  Aubrey had told her she wanted to do something classy, but fun; something that would be the perfect way to celebrate Justin's twenty-ninth birthday without going overboard.  After tossing around a few ideas, Rachel had suggested the idea of renting out a club. 

"That's a little bigger than I was planning on." Aubrey replied reluctantly as Rachel told her the idea she'd had for Justin's party.

"What were you planning on?" Rachel asked as she looked at Aubrey in question.

"I don't know." Aubrey shrugged as she thought for a moment.  "A club?" She asked.  "Really?"

"It's the perfect place!" Rachel insisted with an excited smile.  "If we were going to only be inviting a few people we could have it here." She said, in reference to the house she shared with JC.  "But we both know Justin knows everyone in L.A. which means we're going to need some place bigger.  We can hire a DJ, get a caterer, people can come and go as they please.  They can eat, mingle and dance.  It's perfect!"

"A DJ?" Aubrey replied.  "And a caterer?"  Rachel nodded.  "How much is this all going to cost?" Aubrey asked.

"Oh, don't worry about that." Rachel told her with a wave of her hand. 

"What do you mean, ‘don't worry about that'?" Aubrey exclaimed.  "Of course I'm going to worry about that.  How are we going to pay for all of this Rachel?" She continued.  "I don't make that much and you're not working right now.  I don't think--"

"I can get JC to pay for it." Rachel interrupted firmly.

Aubrey pulled back, lifting one brow in question as she looked at Rachel in silence.  "And how exactly are you going to do that?" She asked, folding her arms over her chest. 

"It's a great way to network and with the guys getting ready to head out on tour in a few months, it'll be good publicity." Rachel told her. 

"With that way of thinking we should talk to the guys' label and have them pay for all of this." Aubrey mumbled under her breath.  She sighed.  This whole party idea had begun to get a little crazy.  She no longer felt like she was in control.  Rachel had taken hold of the wheel and was steering this car to places Aubrey wasn't sure she was comfortable with.

"What?" Rachel asked.

"Nothing." Aubrey replied.  "You still haven't said how you're going to get JC to agree to pay for all of this." Aubrey replied.

"I have my ways." Rachel replied with a mischievous smile and an evil glint in her eyes.  "You just worry about how we're going to let everyone know while keeping it a surprise from Justin."

How she'd done it, Rachel wasn't sure, but somehow Aubrey had been able to steal Justin's Blackberry.  She had brought it over to Rachel's house one Saturday.  A few texts and emails later and everyone in Justin's contact list had been made aware of the party tonight.

"So are you going to tell me how you managed to convince JC to shell out for all of this?" Aubrey asked as she once more raised her glass to her lips.  Her eyes slid over to Rachel but Rachel continued watching the crowd of people in front of them.

"Nope." She replied, her lips turning up in a secret smile.  She waved at someone out on the dance floor then turned back to Aubrey.  "Excuse me." She said.  "I have to go check on the food.  The caterer was supposed to be here twenty minutes ago and the last time I checked the cake hadn't been delivered yet.  If it's still not here, somebody's going to die..."

~~~~~~ 

Aubrey rolled her eyes as she watched Rachel leave, continuing to mumble to herself.  She turned slightly, her eyes scanning the crowd.  Finding Justin, she watched him for a moment, taking in the picture he made.  The black button down shirt with its sleeves rolled up to his elbows and the black tuxedo vest he was wearing with his jeans was classic Justin.  She sighed in appreciation.  She wasn't sure how he was able to do it, but somehow, no matter what he was wearing, he always managed to look incredible.  Must have something to do with bringing sexy back. She mused with a smile.  She saw Rachel again, and watched as the other girl ran around, making sure everything was perfect and going according to the elaborate plan she had inside her head.

Aubrey grabbed a drink from one of the waiters walking through the crowd and slowly made her way across the room.  She wound herself threw the crowd, finally coming up beside Justin as he stood talking to JC.

"Hey, pretty girl." Justin smiled at her as she slipped her hand into his.

"Hi." She smiled in return.  "Did you miss me?" She teased as she took a sip from the drink in her other hand.

"Immensely." Justin replied his blue eyes sparkling.  He squeezed her hand as he brought it up to his lips.  Aubrey smiled.

"Awe!" Chris exclaimed suddenly coming up to join them.  "That was touching, J." He commented.  "Really sweet.  But you've got to quit saying things like that to Aubrey, or she's never going to leave you for me." He winked at Aubrey.

"Why would she want you when she can be with someone from her generation?" Justin asked dryly as he took a swig of the beer in his hand.

"Ooh!" JC exclaimed with a laugh. 

"Shut up!" Chris exclaimed, turning on JC with a death glare. 

"Oh, relax." JC replied with a roll of his eyes.  "You've always been the old man in the group.  It's just now it's...a little more obvious." He teased. 

Aubrey could tell Chris was about to pounce on JC when Joey came up and put his arm around Chris' shoulders. "Happy Birthday, J!" Joey grinned, holding his drink out to him. 

Justin clinked his beer bottle against Joey's glass.  "Thanks, Joe." He smiled.

"Hi, Aubrey." Joey grinned as he greeted her. 

"Hi." She replied with a smile. 

"How are you?" Joey asked.

"Not too bad." She told him. 

"Not too bad?" Joey questioned.  "Means not too good, either.  What are you doing to her, J?" He teased.

"I think the question is: what is he not doing to her." Chris interjected.  "If he's not doing it for you, Aubrey, I can--"

"I can assure you," Aubrey finally replied, cutting Chris off.  "Justin more than does it for me, Chris, but thanks for the offer." 

Justin pulled back, looking at her in surprise--a grin slowly spreading over his face as the other guys all laughed at Aubrey's rebuttal.  "And that's why I call you my Warrior Princess." Justin told her as he tugged on her hand, pulling her close as he pressed his lips against hers.  "You're amazing!"

"Alright, come on." JC commented as Justin wrapped both arms around Aubrey.  "This is a birthday party not a romantic, sap fest."

Justin pulled away from Aubrey and narrowed his eyes at JC.  "It's my birthday party which means I can do whatever the hell I want." Justin informed him with an arrogant tilt of his chin.  "And if I want to make out with my fiancée then that's what I'm going to do."

Aubrey looked up at Justin briefly, her eyes then sliding over to JC who stood with his arms folded across his chest. What was with the tension between these two suddenly?  The two friends stood staring at each other as if they were two dogs fighting for the alpha status in the pack.  Joey and Chris stood by, silently watching as well--waiting to see who was going to be the one to back down first.  

"He's right you know." Rachel commented as she walked past the group--unknowingly breaking the tension between Justin and JC. 

Aubrey didn't miss the fact that JC was the first one to look away or the smug look on Justin's face when it happened.  She narrowed her eyes as she studied her fiancée.  What in the world...

"It is his birthday."  Rachel continued as she stopped for a moment, her hands resting on her hips.  "And this is his party."  Rachel's eyes traveled around the circle of N SYNC members and Aubrey could see the questions in her friend's brown eyes at the guys' stiff stances.  When she finally looked at JC, Rachel held out her hand to him.  "I need your help with something." She said as she wiggled her fingers and smiled at him.

"What--" JC began but Rachel cut him off by reaching out and grabbing his hand. 

"Come on." She said then led him away from the group. 

Joey and Chris breathed an almost audible, simultaneous sigh of relief as the awkward tension around them dissipated.  Aubrey's mind was spinning with questions as the conversation between the band mates soon picked up again.  She wanted to talk to Justin about what had just happened and ask why he and JC seemed to be fighting for dominance.  She soon gave up trying to figure it out and pushed the questions away.  She focused on the conversation going on around her as Justin, Chris and Joey continued talking and teasing each other. 

Their circle expanded and contracted whenever a party-goer made their way over to wish Justin a happy birthday.  Lance-who finally arrived an hour late-Timbaland, Ellen, Trace, and several other celebrities that Aubrey couldn't name but recognized, stopped by and Aubrey stood by Justin's side in amazement.  So many people knew and loved him.  She'd been surprised at the length and breadth of his contact list when she'd stolen his Blackberry a few weeks ago, but the more she thought about it, the more it wasn't really that much of a surprise.  She looked up at him--her eyes running over his profile.  Justin was just one of those guys whose genuine honesty and Southern charm made it easy for people to like him and want to be around him.

And she was no different.

~~~~~~

"What do you need my help with?" JC asked as he followed after Rachel.  She led him through the maze of people crowding the club and into a back room.  Closing the door she let go of his hand and turned to look at him--her hands coming to rest on her hips.

"I need you to help me understand what's going on between you and Justin." She told him.

JC dropped his gaze from Rachel to the drink in his hands.  "I don't know what you're talking about." He mumbled, unable to meet her gaze.

"Cut the crap, Jace." Rachel replied firmly.  "What was that out there?" She asked.  "I know I wasn't there for the entire conversation but the tension between you two was thick enough to cut with a knife.  What's going on?"

"You wouldn't understand." JC replied, still stubbornly refusing to look at her. 

"Try me." Rachel replied.  JC finally looked over at her as she folded her arms across her chest. 

"I don't know if this was such a great idea." He finally admitted.

"You're not sure what was such a great idea?" Rachel questioned.

"This." He replied.  "The group getting back together.  I just..." He sighed, searching for the words to articulate the thoughts running through his head.  "I don't know if I can go through it again." Rachel cocked her head to the side, her brows furrowing as she looked at him closely--waiting for him to continue.  When he didn't she took a step towards him.  "I don't know if I can stand back in Justin's shadow again." He finally admitted.

"I thought we cleared all of this up a while ago." She told him.  JC looked down as she placed her hand on his arm.  "Why are you still holding on to this?" Rachel asked.  "Let it go, Jace.  It's not healthy to hang onto all this resentment towards him.  You guys are going to be out on the road together for the next couple months.  You need to get this out of your system."

"I know." JC replied, turning his head to look away from her.  "I know." He sighed.

"Look at me." Rachel said placing a hand on his cheek and turning his face back to hers.  "You're not standing in anyone's shadow.  You just had your own very successful solo album and tour last year.  You have a movie coming out the end of this year.  You just released a new N SYNC CD.  You're getting ready to go back out on tour with the guys and..." She paused for effect.  "You're engaged to me." She smiled and he chuckled softly.  "I don't see any shadows." She told him.  "Let it go." She whispered.  "Please." She said as she lifted her hand, her fingers brushing through his hair.  "Just let it go."

JC turned slightly and placed his drink down on a chair that just happened to be conveniently set up against the wall beside them.  Turning back to Rachel he wrapped his arms around her waist.  Closing his eyes he leaned his forehead against hers.  She was right.  He needed to let this go. He hadn't expected to get so defensive when Justin had responded like he did to his comment earlier.  It was like he'd been thrown back in time ten years and all the pent up feelings and emotions he'd hidden back then came back.  Justin was just naturally gifted and talented and it was frustrating to see him get what JC had always wanted with almost no effort at all.  But, Rachel was right.  He'd had his own career separate from Justin for the last little while and he was engaged to a woman who was beautiful, and sexy; who could see through the masks he wore and didn't put up with any of his crap.  What else did he need?

"What would I do without you, Sass?" He asked.

Rachel smiled, her brown eyes sparkling.  "I'm pretty sure you'd die without me." She replied as she wound her arms around his neck. 

"I'm pretty sure you're right." He said as he leaned down, pressing his lips against hers. 

After a few more kisses, Rachel pulled back-placing her hands against his chest.  "I don't have time for this." She told him.

"What?" He exclaimed.  "You're joking, right?"

"No." She shook her head as she attempted to wiggle out of his arms.  JC tightened his hold on her-not willing to let her go.  "I have to go check on the food." She told him.

"That's the caterer's job." He told her as he bent his head and began running his lips along the column of her neck.

"And the music--"

"Is the reason you made me hire a DJ for this thing." He reminded her, his lips moving up to brush against the sensitive spot below her ear.  Rachel shivered slightly in his arms and he grinned. 

"Jace..." She breathed.  "I have to--"

"You don't have to do anything." He told her, pulling back slightly to look into her beautiful eyes.  "Except kiss me."

"Right now?" She asked him, reading the desire in his eyes.

"Right now." He nodded once.

"Here?" She asked, her eyes glancing around the small room they were occupying.

"Here." He nodded again, watching as the corners of her lips twitched. 

"You're insatiable." She told him as a smile slowly spread across her face.

"Only for you." He replied as he leaned down to kiss her.  "Only for you."    

~~~~~~

As the conversation began to die down, Justin began walking away from the group of people they had been talking to.  Aubrey stood where she was until he tugged on her hand, making it clear he wanted her to come with him.  She followed as he began walking around the club, mingling, his eyes sparkling proudly every time he introduced her to all people he knew.  He squeezed her hand affectionately and kept her close to his side as they continued moving through the crowd, finally bumping into someone that Aubrey had been hesitant about inviting, but had done so anyway at Rachel's assurance that it was okay.

"Cameron!" Justin exclaimed in pleasant surprise as he let go of Aubrey's hand to give the blonde a hug. 

"Hi!" Cameron smiled as she put her arms around him.  "Happy Birthday!" She told him as he pulled back and looked down at her. 

"Thanks for coming!" Justin smiled as he took a step back from the actress.  "How are you?"

Aubrey stood behind Justin as he and Cameron talked, awkwardly wondering if she should leave them alone while they attempted to catch up.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and clasped her hands together--unconsciously beginning to twist her engagement ring as she watched Justin laugh at what his ex-girlfriend had just said.  A flash of jealously shot through her as Cameron reached out and put her hand on Justin's arm as they continued to talk and laugh.  She was the one who was supposed to make him laugh like that--touch him like that--not her.  Cameron had had her chance and, like all the other women in his past, had given Justin up for something or someone else.  Aubrey fought the urge to reach out and take Justin's hand--possessively staking her claim on him in front of the other girl.  She wanted to...but held back, not wanting to appear as insecure as she suddenly felt.

"...and you're engaged now!"

Aubrey finally forced herself to listen to the conversation going on between Justin and Cameron.

"Yep." Justin replied proudly, a huge smile on his face as he turned to look at Aubrey.  He reached out and took her hand, pulling her next to him.

"Congratulations." Cameron offered as she smiled, her eyes sliding back and forth between Justin and Aubrey.

"Thank you." Aubrey replied feeling her jealousy and insecurity melt away as Justin put his arm around her shoulders and leaned down, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.  She looked up at him, her eyes meeting his, and her heart skipped at the look in his blue eyes.  It was a look that was becoming familiar to her and she smiled up at him.    

"Have you guys set a date yet?" Cameron asked. 

"Not yet." Justin answered with a shake of his head as he finally tore his eyes away from Aubrey and looked at Cameron.

"Well," Cameron replied.  "You make sure and let me know when the big day is, okay?" She asked. 

"I will." Justin promised. 

"Good." She smiled then did something that took Aubrey by surprise.  Cameron reached out and put her arms around Aubrey's neck, hugging her.  "Hold onto him." She whispered.  "He's one of the good ones." She pulled back and looked at Aubrey.  "Call me sometime." She said.  "We can do lunch and talk." Cameron smiled. 

"O-okay." Aubrey stammered, not really sure how to take the sudden invitation.  She felt bad for her initial reaction at meeting the girl.

"Only if you promise not to talk about me." Justin said. 

"Well, of course, we're going to talk about you!" Cameron laughed.  "Obviously." She winked at Aubrey, causing Aubrey to chuckle.  "I'm going to go get a refill." Cameron stated as she took a step around Justin.

"Okay." Justin replied.

"I'll see you two later."  She smiled then turned to leave.

"I like her." Aubrey found herself stating, a smile on her face as she watched Cameron disappear into the crowd.

"You sound surprised." Justin chuckled as he looked down at her.

"Well, you know." Aubrey shrugged.  "She is one of your exes." She reminded him.  "And I've never met her before.  I didn't know how this was going to turn out."

"Cameron and I broke up because we ended up wanting different things from our relationship." He told her.  "But we've stayed friends." He smiled sadly.  "I think of all the break-ups I've had over the years, ours was the cleanest and most amicable." 

Justin reached a hand up, cupping her cheek.  Aubrey smiled as she looked up at him and closed her eyes as he leaned down, intent on kissing her.

"There you are!"

Justin groaned softly and Aubrey jumped slightly at the suddenly exclamation.  They both turned to see Justin's mother walking towards them.  A surprised smile spread across Justin's face. 

"Ma?" He asked as Lynn stepped up to them. "What are you doing here?" Justin questioned as he gave his mother a hug.  "Couldn't wait a few more days to see me?" He teased as he drew back.

Lynn smiled as she reached out and pulled Aubrey in for a hug.  "Aubrey here called and invited us last week." She said as she released Aubrey.  Justin smiled at Aubrey as he reached for her hand once more.  "And you know me," Lynn continued.  "I love a good party!"  They all laughed.  "Paul couldn't come because of work," she told him as Justin began looking around for his step-dad.  "But he said to tell you he's excited to see you guys next week.  Especially you." She smiled at Aubrey as she reached out and took her other hand, giving it an affectionate squeeze.  "He's anxious to finally meet you." 

Justin smiled and Aubrey felt her cheeks warm slightly as Lynn pulled a long, skinny, white box from her purse.  She reached up and tucked it into the front pocket of Justin's shirt. 

"Ma," Justin drawled as he reached for the gift.  "You didn't have to--"

"Happy Birthday." She said with a smile as she put her hand against his cheek. 

"Thank you." Justin replied sincerely as he gave his mother another hug.  Aubrey watched them, a smile tugging at her lips.  She loved the relationship Justin had with his mother.  Though he was independent and self-sufficient, he still relied on her input and valued her opinions on the choices he made in his life.  Lynn had done an amazing job raising Justin as he'd grown up in the spotlight and the courtesy and compassion she'd instilled in him from a young age had carried through to his adult life, making him the incredible man he was today.

Justin turned as Lynn left as suddenly as she had appeared.  As she disappeared into the crowd, he pulled the box his mother had given him from his pocket and looked at it.

"What is it?" Aubrey asked him as he released her hand. 

"I don't know." He replied, lifting the lid.  "It's a...a pocket watch." He said, removing the item from the box and holding it up for her to see.  "This looks like my grandpa's." Justin remarked as he turned the watch over in his hand.

"Really?" Aubrey asked.

Justin nodded.  "I remember he always had it with him..." He trailed off as he flipped open the case.  "It is his." He smiled.  "See the initials?" He asked, showing her the inside of the watch case.

"Can I see it?" Aubrey asked.  Justin handed her the watch.  She turned it over in her hands.  "I like it." She smiled, looking up at him.

"Yeah?" Justin asked.

"Yeah." She nodded as she looked up at him.  "It suits you." She reached out, slipping the watch into the front pocket of his pants then stood back and looked at him.  "Now you're is complete." She remarked with a grin.  Justin watched her closely, a serious expression on his face.  Aubrey's smile faded and her stomach fluttered at the intense look in his blue eyes.  "What?" She asked, with a confused chuckle at his continued silence. 

"Dance with me." He said simply.

Justin held out his hand to her and Aubrey smiled as she slipped her fingers into his.  She hadn't even been paying attention to the music playing in the club, but as he took her hand and she followed him out onto the dance floor she listened as the tempo slowed.  Justin stopped and pulled her in front of him, his blue eyes met hers as he put one arm around her waist and Aubrey felt her stomach quiver as it did each time he pulled her close.  She put one arm around his shoulder, as her other hand was held securely in Justin's.  He pulled their clasped hands up--tucking them against his chest as he bent his head.  Aubrey felt Justin's warm breath on her neck as his lips barely brushed along the sensitive skin.  She shivered slightly, goose bumps rising, and he chuckled softly in her ear at her reaction.

"You are amazing." He told her quietly, pulling back slightly to look at her as he continued leading her in a gentle sway.  "You know that, right?" He asked, his blue eyes searching hers.

Aubrey simply smiled as she tightened her arm around him and rested her head against his chest.  Justin bent his head slightly so his cheek was resting against her forehead and Aubrey let out a soft sigh of contentment.

~~~~~~

Justin closed his eyes as Aubrey's sigh brushed over his neck.  They were in a room full of people, but as far as he was concerned the only one that mattered was the girl in his arms.  When he held her, he held everything.  He loved her--so much it hurt sometimes-and he silently thanked God once again for placing her in his life.  She was incredible!  The way she felt in his arms, the way she loved him, the way she made him feel...it was hard to put into words, but as he'd been standing there talking with Cameron earlier, he'd realized how lucky he was to have found Aubrey.  What he felt for this girl far surpassed anything he'd ever felt before in his life. 

"I love you." He whispered.  Aubrey lifted her head from his chest and looked up at him.  He stopped dancing, placed both hands on her face and leaned down-finally pressing his lips to hers like he'd wanted to do all evening.  "Thank you for this." He told her, his lips moving against hers.  He watched as Aubrey's beautiful eyes fluttered open. 

"You're welcome." She replied quietly, a soft smile lifting the corners of her mouth.  "Happy Birthday." 

~~~~~~  

"When do I get my present?" Justin asked a mischievous sparkle suddenly in his eyes.

The romantic mood between them fled and Aubrey playfully smacked his chest as she stepped away from him.  The slow song they had been dancing to ended, an up tempo one taking its place, as she folded her arms across her chest. 

"Is that what that was?" She asked him, trying to look hurt but knowing she didn't succeed.  She wasn't a great actor and Justin saw through her stern expression-a laugh escaping him.

"You're cute when you're trying to be stern." He told her with a grin.

Aubrey rolled her eyes and looked away from him in an attempt to keep from laughing.  "Here I thought we were having an incredibly sweet, romantic moment, and you were just trying seduce a secret out of me." She lifted her chin and tightened her arms across her chest. 

"Hold on." Justin said with a laugh as he put his hands on her upper arms. 

"No." Aubrey shook her head as she turned around. 

Justin wrapped his arms around her from behind.  "Look." He said, holding out the pocket watch he'd just been given and flipping open the case.  "It's almost midnight."

"And?" Aubrey asked, fighting the tingle that ran down her spine as he pressed his lips to her neck. 

"And..." He drawled, his warm breath on her skin wreaking havoc on her senses.  She was suddenly reminded of the length of time it had been since they'd had a chance to be together and she wanted nothing more than to turn around and beg him to love her as only he knew how.

Justin pressed another lingering kiss to the side of her neck and Aubrey swallowed as she melted back against him.  He brushed his nose up to her ear then turned her in his arms.  Aubrey looked up into his clear, blue eyes. 

"You promised." He reminded her.  "I think I've been more than patient last couple weeks." He continued as he ran his fingertips along her jaw then tilted her chin up a bit. 

"Yes, you have." Aubrey nodded, closing her eyes as he brushed his nose against hers seductively-his lips a mere breath away.  Aubrey felt her heart pounding in her chest and her knees felt suspiciously weak as Justin continued teasing her-slowly driving her insane. 

"So I think it's time for you to finally give me what I want." He told her, his voice low and rough.

Aubrey's eyes opened and she looked at him.  She could feel the heat between them as he held her gaze intently and she shivered as he brushed the pad of his thumb along her bottom lip.  She thought about what she had gotten for him and her stomach began quivering in anticipation of his reaction. 

"It's not something I can give you here." She told him.  "So, it's up to you.  We can stay and continue to party or we can go--" Aubrey was cut off as Justin suddenly took her hand and began pulling her back towards the door they'd entered the club through four hours ago. 

"Let's go." Justin replied and Aubrey smiled as she followed him outside and towards the Escalade.

~~~~~~

"What's going on between you and JC?"

Justin looked over at Aubrey as they drove through L.A. towards his house.  "What do you mean?" He asked, turning his eyes back to the road.

"Things got kind of intense between you two tonight." Aubrey continued.  "It was kind of weird."

Justin shifted in his seat slightly, leaning his left arm on the door rest while he gripped the steering wheel with his right hand.  "JC likes to think he's in charge." Justin finally replied, fighting to keep his irritation in check.  This was killing the mood they'd left the club with and he wasn't very happy with the topic of this conversation. 

"What does that mean?" Aubrey questioned.

"The guy is one of my best friends, don't get me wrong." Justin stated.  "It's just..." He sighed and leaned his head against his left hand--running his fingers over his hair.  "I don't know.  Ever since we got serious about getting the group back together he's slipped back into the role he played fifteen years ago when we were just starting out." He finally turned to look at Aubrey when they came to a red light.  His eyes met hers in the darkened interior.  "I'm not fourteen anymore." He told her.  "I'm not a kid who doesn't know what he's doing and needs someone to keep an eye on him and hold his hand." 

"Have you told him how you feel?" Aubrey asked. 

"No." Justin shook his head as he turned his head-concentrating once more on the road as traffic began moving again. 

"Maybe you should." She offered.  "He probably doesn't even realize he's doing it." They were both quiet for a moment.  "Snapping at him isn't going to make things better." She continued.

"I know." Justin nodded with a sigh.  "I know."

"Will you talk to him?" Aubrey asked, leaning across the center consol towards him.  Justin turned to look at her briefly.  "Before you snap at him again?"

"Yes." He nodded as he shifted again, putting his left hand on the wheel as he took her left hand with his right.  "I'll talk to him." He promised, giving her the answer she wanted while he gave her fingers a squeeze.

"Good." She smiled as she put her other hand on his arm. 

"But right now I want to talk to you." He continued, his thumb caressing the back of her hand.

"What do you want to talk about?" Aubrey asked.

"About my birthday present." Justin answered.

Aubrey laughed.  "Have you figured it out yet?" She asked.

"No." He shook his head.

"Good." She replied with a smug smirk on her face.  Justin's eyes moved between her and the road and he wanted nothing more than to kiss that smirk off of her beautiful face.

"I can't for the life of me figure out what you could have gotten me." He told her and Aubrey's smile grew.  "You're really proud of yourself, aren't you?" He asked with a chuckle.

"You bet I am!" She exclaimed.  "Do you know how hard you are to shop for?" She asked.  "You have everything.  Literally.  And yet, I have managed to get you something you don't have and haven't been able to guess." She smiled triumphantly.  "I think that gives me some bragging rights, don't you think?" She asked.

Justin laughed as he brought her hand up to his mouth.  "I love you." He said as he kissed the back of her hand.  "But you're driving me insane!  Just tell me already!"

"Nope." Aubrey shook her head with a laugh.  "This is too much fun and we're not home yet."

~~~~~~  

A shiver went through Aubrey as Justin's blue eyes connected with hers--the playful mood of seconds before becoming suddenly intense.

"Home?" He asked quietly, his blue eyes delving into hers as they stopped at another red light.  Her heart fluttered nervously in her chest.   "Have you..." Justin paused.  "Have you changed your mind?" He asked a veiled look of hope in his eyes.

Aubrey remained silent, swallowing the sudden lump in her throat.  Since he'd asked her a few weeks ago to move in with him and she'd protested, she had been hoping and praying the subject wouldn't be brought up again--even though she knew it would be.  She cleared her throat.  "Justin, I..."  She hesitated, wondering how to tell him what she was thinking and feeling without ruining anything between them.  "I can't." She shook her head. 

She watched as his brows lowered--furrowing in thought--and wanted so badly to reach out and smooth the worry lines away.  He sat silently, just looking at her, until someone honked behind them.  They both jumped slightly and Justin moved the car through the intersection.  A heavy silence filled the SUV as he turned on his street.  Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth.  This evening hadn't turned out at all like she had been anticipating.  How was she supposed to give him his present when she'd gone and crushed his hopes of her moving in with him?  I am officially the worst girlfriend ever. She thought with a dejected sigh.  Why does he love me?

Justin pulled into his driveway and parked the Escalade in his garage.  Turning off the car, Aubrey expected him to let go of her hand and get out, but he didn't move.  Instead he just sat there--silently staring at the steering wheel.

"I don't understand." He said finally.  He slowly turned to look at her.  "We love each other.  We're engaged.  You practically live here as it is." He paused and Aubrey hung her head, unable to look at him.  "Why don't you want to move in with me?"

"It's hard to explain." She told him quietly as she pulled her hand from his. 

"Try." He urged.  "Help me understand."

Aubrey sighed.  She sat for a moment, searching for the right words and Justin remained silent-waiting.  "I've moved a lot in my life." She told him.  "I've never really..." she swallowed again.  "Nothing was ever permanent for me growing up." She continued, clasping her hands together to keep her nervous trembling from showing.  "Every time we moved, I knew it wasn't worth it to make friends or try to fit in because pretty soon we'd be moving again and having to leave behind people I'd grown to care about would make it that much harder when it was time to leave."  She hated the way her voice cracked--evidence of her emotion.  She hadn't realized she was crying until she felt Justin reach over and brush away the tear slipping down her cheek.  She looked over at him.  "To me, moving means that eventually everything is going to end and I'm going to have to leave." She blinked back her tears, but it did no good--they fell anyway.  "I don't want this to end."

"Aubrey..." Justin drawled.

"I know it's irrational," she interrupted him.  "And I know you're probably thinking I'm crazy and wondering what the hell you're doing with me...but that's how I feel." She told him.  "That's why I can't move in with you right now.  I'm getting there...but not yet." 

Justin said nothing as he leaned across the center consol and wrapped his arms around her.  "You're not crazy." He whispered in her ear.  Aubrey put her arms around him, hugging him tightly--soaking in the love and comfort he so freely offered her.  He pulled back just enough to look her in the eyes.  He brushed the remaining tears from her face. 

"I'm sorry." She said, chuckling wryly as she shook her head.  "You didn't know I had so many issues when you decided you wanted to marry me, did you?" She teased.  "If you don't want--"

"Stop." Justin interrupted her, by placing his lips against hers.  Aubrey leaned against him as he kissed her deeply.  "What I want," Justin said, pulling back slightly.  "Is for you to be happy." He lifted one hand, his thumb brushing over her bottom lip.  "And if the thought of moving in with me is causing you this much stress and anxiety, then you're not happy and I don't want it." He shook his head.  "But eventually, you will have to move in with me." He told her.  "Somewhere.  Wherever we decide to live." He smiled as he tucked some hair behind her ear.  "I am not," he lowered his head slightly so he was looking directly into her eyes, "living in a separate house from my wife.  That is unacceptable."

Aubrey let out a quiet laugh and nodded in agreement. 

"Now," Justin said, his blue eyes sparkling.  He looked down at his watch.  "You've got twenty minutes until midnight so let's stop wasting time, shall we?"

Aubrey smiled.  "That's plenty of time." She told him then got out of the car.  Justin followed suit and grabbed her hand as they walked towards the door to the house.  She could hear Buckley and Brennan on the other side of the door, whining in excitement of their arrival home.  Aubrey laughed as the two boxers attacked them as they walked into the house. 

~~~~~~

"Knock it off, guys!" Justin commanded as he shoved his way past the dogs. 

"Awe, be nice." Aubrey told him as she greeted the dogs.  "They missed you."

"They missed you." He replied as he turned to look at her from where he stood in the kitchen.  "Look who they're attacking right now." He laughed.  "They don't get this excited when it's just me coming home." Aubrey smiled at him.  Justin crossed his arms over his chest as he watched her return her attention to his dogs and he wondered if she knew how adorable she was and how much he loved her.

What he had just learned about her in the car--what she had admitted to him--had broken his heart and made him that much more committed to making this relationship work.  Although he hadn't exactly had a normal childhood, he couldn't imagine what it felt like to never have a permanent place to call home or friends to hang out with. 

As she finally disentangled herself from Buckley and Brennan and walked towards him, Justin vowed that that was going to change.  Wherever she wanted it to be, he would make sure she had the permanent, stable home she'd always wanted growing up.  When she finally moved in with him, she would never have to move again.   

"What are you thinking about so hard?" Aubrey asked coming to stand directly in front of him. 

"You." He answered honestly.  She smiled as she put a hand to his face.  Leaning up on her toes she pressed her lips against his.  "You've got fifteen minutes." He told her as she pulled back and she rolled her eyes. 

"You're making a really big deal out of all of this." She told him.  "I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed when you finally find out what I got you."

"Let's find out." He said. 

Aubrey stood looking at him for a moment then sighed.  "Alright." She said with a shrug as she turned.  "Follow me."

~~~~~~

"Has it been hiding in here the whole time?" Justin exclaimed as Aubrey led him upstairs and into his bedroom.  "Man!  You are good!"  He looked at her in admiration.  "Okay," he put his hands together, rubbing them in anticipation.  "Where is it?"

"I'm wearing it." She told him. 

Justin's eyes narrowed and his hands dropped as he looked at her in surprise.  "What?" He asked as if he hadn't heard her.

"I'm wearing it." She told him again.  She watched as one of his eyebrows slowly rose and her stomach quivered at the lust that darkened his blue eyes. 

"Is that so?" He asked, taking a step towards her.  She nodded.  He eyes slowly traveled down her body and back up and Aubrey felt her knees weaken slightly--the anticipation was killing her.  She'd been waiting what seemed like forever to finally reveal her surprise and see his reaction.  "What are you wearing?" He asked.

"That's for me to know and...you to find out." She told him.  Aubrey tried to quell the nervous butterflies swarming inside her as Justin walked around her slowly--taking her in. 

"And you've been wearing it all night?" He asked, coming to stand in front of her again.  She nodded.  He remained silent as he studied her and finally she couldn't stand it anymore.

"Are you just going to stand there looking at me all night?" She asked.  "Or are you going to try and figure out what it is?  You've been pushing me for weeks to tell you what I got you and now that I'm telling you, you're just standing there!  I don't--" She let out a startled gasp as Justin bent down suddenly.  Wrapping his arms around her legs he stood, put her over his shoulder, and walked the few steps toward the bed.  She laughed as, without ceremony, he plopped her down in the middle of the bed.  Aubrey pushed the hair away from her face as she looked up at Justin--quickly scrambling backwards as he crawled up next to her, a predatory look in his blue eyes.

Before she knew it, his lips were on hers-his fingers making quick work of the buttons on the shirt she was wearing.  When he spread the sides of her shirt open, he tore his lips away from hers and looked down at the skin he had just exposed.  Aubrey took a few deep breaths, attempting to calm her racing heart--her mind scrambling to catch up with his sudden and heated attack on her.  She watched as his eyes scanned her body, disappointment flashing across his face briefly as he didn't find anything new or unusual.

Justin lowered his head, his lips pressing warmly against her stomach and Aubrey shivered as he expertly popped the button on her jeans and began tugging them over her hips inch my torturous inch.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth to keep from moaning in protest.  He was going too slow!  This was taking too long!  His blue eyes darkened suddenly and a slow, seductive smile spread across his handsome face as he finally uncovered the prize he'd been seeking. 

"Is this real?" He asked, his warm hands gave her hips a squeeze and he ran his thumb over the small heart now adorning her left hip.  Aubrey nodded, unable to speak.  Justin lowered his head-pressing his lips against her new tattoo--and Aubrey closed her eyes, melting back against the pillows with a breathy sigh.  He had always had the ability to reduce her to a puddle with a single touch and tonight was no different.  Aubrey opened her eyes as she felt the bed move--watching as Justin crawled back up her body.

"I have never," he said, lowering his head and pressing a kiss to the corner of her jaw.  "Been more turned on," he lifted his head briefly before moving to the other side and kissing the opposite side of her jaw.  "In my life." He finished, propping himself up on his forearms as he looked down at her.  "Who are you?" He asked.  "And what have you done with my innocent little fiancée?"  Aubrey laughed as she wound her arms around his neck.  "What about all of your commitment issues?" He asked, his eyes sparkling teasingly.

"You were the one who said I had commitment issues, not me." She reminded him with a smile.

"What made you decide to get it?" He asked rolling over on his side next to her. 

"I wanted to surprise you." She told him.

"Sweetheart, you surprise me every damn day." He replied with a laugh as he reached his arm out, across her, running his thumb over the heart again.

Aubrey flinched slightly and he looked at her in question.  "It's still a little tender." She told him.  "So be careful."  He lowered his head, softly brushing his lips against the mark that, for all intents and purposes, now branded her as his.  Aubrey reached out as he lifted his head once again, running the fingers of one hand through his short hair. Justin turned his head slightly and kissed the inside of her wrist. 

"This is..." he shook his head and he looked at the tattoo again and then back up at her.  "Thank you."  He said simply and she smiled at the look in his clear, blue eyes.  He knew what this meant.  He knew what it had taken for her to get the tattoo and what the symbol represented.  "I love you." He told her, the look in his eyes and the intensity of the words he had spoken going straight to her hear.

"I love you, too." She replied with a smile her hand coming down to rest against his cheek.  "Happy Birthday."

Justin moved atop her again and Aubrey closed her eyes, willingly surrendering as his lips once more found hers. "This is the best birthday I've ever had." He told her as he released her mouth and began scattering kisses across her face and down her neck and throat.  "I don't know how you're ever going to top this." He stated, resting his weight on his elbows again as he looked down at her. 

"Me neither." She confessed. 

"What are you going to do for Valentine's Day?" He asked.

"I have no idea!" Aubrey exclaimed with a laugh.  "I accepted your ring for Christmas, and I permanently marked my body for you for your birthday.  What else is there for me to do?" She teased. 

He was quiet for a moment as he looked at her.  "Marry me." He replied.

Chapter End Notes:
reviews: I'm addicted to them :)  Let me know what you think! 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: showersex jc justin