Author's Chapter Notes:

Okay so I started this as a shorty a little over a year ago and was re-reading it the other night, along with the reviews and people had requested a longer story so I'm going to give it a shot. I'm not sure how many chapters it will be but hopefully I'll cover all the bases I have outlined! 

Let me know what you guys think!

You Get Me Through
Chapter 2.

It's been one of the most stressful months of my life. Back to back shows, repeating the same process every night, dancing singing, dancing singing. I've also been helping other artists produce songs on the side too so whatever free time I can squeeze in on my off days from the tour, I'm cooped up inside a studio. My body aches, my eyes are always heavy and I swear one of these nights I'm going to fall asleep on stage during one of my slow songs. Tonight is just another moment of the same process as I come off stage, dripping with sweat and peeling off my clothes. My mind has been on nothing but finding my way to my bed the moment my feet hit the tour buss. We've got a long drive for the next day and a half and I have every intention of using it to sleep my ass off. Once I reach my dressing room, I quickly shower, and nod politely and pass small ‘hello's' and ‘good-nights' to the members of the crew and dancers that are scattered out aimlessly around the arena.

Normally, my body would be on an endorphin high and I wouldn't be able to sleep. Instead I'd stay up bullshitting with my dancers or part of my crew and end up for half of the night. Tonight that's not the case. I set my backpack down on the leather couch of the buss, kicking off my tennis shoes and making my way to the back of the buss to my bedroom. I begin peeling off my clothes until I'm left in the comfort of my boxers and throw myself down lazily, pulling the covers up around me. My eyes are heavy and I can feel myself slowly sinking into the mattress, easily getting used to the feeling of being still. I'm just about ready to drift off into the land of unconsciousness when my phone I tossed on the night stand starts to ring loudly, waking me from the brink of slumber. I sigh in frustration, reaching for the stupid device while answering it, still half awake.

"Hello?" I breathe into the phone.

I swallow any rude remarks as the sound of my girlfriends voice comes floating through my ears. It's been a while since we've talked and I've missed her. She fills me in on what she's been up to with filming some movie she's staring in, about all the amazing people she's met and how beautiful the weather is wherever she's at. By now, I'm half asleep from listening to her go on and on about something that happened on set the other day with so and so and I swear she doesn't stop talking for a least thirty minutes before she finally asks me how the tour's been going. I'm already on edge, wanting nothing more than to just pretend we got disconnected and toss my phone across the room and finally go to sleep but I know I'm better than that. I love her. It's good to hear her voice.

I let her know it's going well and that the fans are eating it up every night and almost every show has been sold out. I tell her about the artists I've been working with and the plans I'm making for the coming year. It's not long before she interrupts me, which I absolutely hate by the way, but instead of reminding her, I lay my phone on ear, carefully rolling to my side and shutting my eyes. I try to add my share of ‘uh huh' and ‘oh that's cool' every now and then to make her think I'm paying attention but really, sleep is the only thing on my mind now. I have no idea how much time has actually passed until I hear her repeating my name over and over again.

"Justin? Are you even listening to me?"

I try to play this cool. "Yeah, I'm here babe. I'm just.. I'm really tired that's all."

"Well if you didn't want to talk, you should have said something." She snides back.

I sigh, in no mood to argue with her. Especially when she's how many billion miles away from me. I hate arguing. I try to avoid it at all costs. It's honestly so pointless with her.

"Babe, stop it. I'm just really tired. We've been doing the show every night for an entire week. I'm just wiped out."

I wait a second for her to respond, almost holding my breath, hoping she doesn't lash out.

"Well then I guess I'll just let you go. Call me back when it's convenient for you Justin."

I roll my eyes even though she can't see me because really, she can be so gullible sometimes.

"Steph, don't be like this. You know I love yo-," But I don't even get the chance to respond because she's already hung up on me. I pull my phone back, starting at it bewildered. I can't believe she hung up on me. It's definitely not the first time but damn. All because I didn't listen to her ramble on and on about some shit that was nowhere relevant to me.

I wonder how long this is going to continue like this- our conversations short and focused mainly on her. I guess it's too much to ask for my girlfriend to understand that I'm exhausted and just want to sleep. We had discussed her coming out onto the tour for a few days but I'm sure that will just be a blast, if it even happens and if not, I'll have to listen to her complain about how I'm not making and effort to see her. Ugh, this night just keeps getting better and better.

It's been over a month since I've seen her and a while since we've talked last and she has to choose now to let her ‘better' sides come out. I tell myself that distance doesn't make this relationship any better at all because well, honestly it doesn't. It's really freaking hard sometimes. I do miss having her beside me when I go to sleep at night, waking up to her every morning, making love to her, having her face across the table at breakfast and just being with her. It's a rare moment for us when things are sane though. She's always off working on some new project and well, the same goes for me. Our relationship hasn't always been the best but we make it work somehow, without tonight being counted into the mix. Tonight was just typical.

I roll over on my back, one hand sliding over my face and I close my eyes. I just need to forget about all of this. All I want to do is sleep. Sleep.. now..please. I'm still for about fifty seconds before someone raps on door, once again waking me from my almost sleep.

"Yo J, you awake?"

I pull the covers off myself about ready to blow a fuse only to open the door to see my driver Zach standing there.

"What's up?" I ask, biting my lip.

"Looks like we got a flat tire. If they can't fix it by tonight we might have to switch buses."

Are you freaking kidding me?

"Damn. Is that going to affect the schedule?" I ask, mentally hoping they can fix the damn tire.

"I hope not. They're trying to get a new one now. I was just letting you know in case. It'll have to be a pretty quick switch though if we can't."

"Okay, thank for letting me know. Keep me posted. I'm gonna go try to catch some Z's while I can though, alright?" I say, hoping he'll just leave.

"Got it." He says, and with that he walks away. Ah! Finally.

I resume my spot on my bed reaching to turn my phone down to low. God for bid I turn the damn thing off and someone try to get a hold of me and I not answer, they'd probably send out a fucking search party. I shut the light off above the bed and am confident that this time, I might actually fall into the state of oblivion.

Yes sweet sleep.

I roll over for what feels like the hundredth time looking at the small alarm clock on the bedside stand. I've been laying here for forty-five minutes and I'm still not asleep yet. I know I'm tired, exhausted for Pete sake but here I am, still conscience. My mind is on overload and I wish like hell that it would just shut up. I prop myself up on the pillows more, running a hand tiredly though my hair. I sigh, reaching for my phone, making sure I haven't missed anything. I scroll through my contacts knowing exactly who my fingers will land on and don't even hesitate to press the send button.

I mentally scan my memory, wondering where she told me she'd be this week. My thoughts are quickly forgotten as a soft voice picks up the phone.

"Hello?" She asks, her voice light and sleepy.

"Hey you. Did I wake you up?"

I can hear her yawn and a smile forms on my lips instantly.

"Mmm. I was watching a movie and I guess I dozed off. What's up Just?"

I don't know why but I love it when she calls me that. I actually get annoyed when someone else tries to do it because it's her thing. I'm weird like that but it means something to me coming from her and only her. It's comforting to me somehow.

"I'm tired as hell and can't for the life of me fall asleep. I was just seeing what you were up to."

"Ugh, that's the most annoying thing. Have you tried counting sheep?" She says, snickering quieltly.

I chuckle. "Actually I have. It didn't work for shit."

"Well dangit. Uh warm milk, sleeping pills?"

"Not really accessible on the bus babe." I tell her but I know if I really needed it, I'd find a way to get it. Yeah, I'm a cocky ass like that.

"Oh I didn't know you were on the bus. Everything on the tour going okay so far?"

I know it sounds silly, but that right there, having her ask the simplest things means so damn much to me. I love how she doesn't press the issue, asking if there is more to my insomnia. She doesn't ask about Steph, knowing that 99% of the time, she's reason for my bad mood. I smile even bigger, just like I always do when I talk to her. She doesn't interrupt me and go on into some pointless story that I didn't ask to hear. She's just simple, carefree. It's one of the many things I love about her.

"It's been pretty good. Most of the shows have been sold out and I've been producing in my non-existent free time. Busy but good. I'm basically a working robot."

She laughs softly again. "Justin Timberlake? Never." She knows me all too well.

"Yeah yeah. So how's work?"

"Good. Things have been pretty light lately. I'm enjoying being able to breathe after last month."

"And you, yourself?" I urge.

"I'm fine, Justin." She says, not dishing out anything else.

"You promise?"

"Yes, I promise. Cross my heart."

I laugh. "Good. You better be."

"Yeah yeah," she mocks me. "are you getting tired yet?"

I roll over on my side again, trying to get comfortable.

"Not really. I enjoy talking to you."

"That's sweet Just, but don't you think you need sleep?" She's always looking out for me.

"Trust me. I've tried. I'm just.. I don't know what I am."

"You just need a good massage or something."

My eyes perk up. "Are you offering?" I ask because she honestly gives the best damn back massages. What I'd give to have one right now.

"Next time I visit, you got it."

I try to remember the states we'll be in this week.

"When's that Carebear?"

She's silent for a second. "When do you want me there Justin?"

Her voice is cool and calm, not like she feels obligated to come to me. She never makes me feel like that.

"Whenever it's good for you, babe. I think we'll be in Virginia by tomorrow morning."

"If you need me Justin, I'll get there."

I'm silent for a second, biting my lip to keep from answering right away and seeming so desperate. I should feel guilty about this but I honestly don't. My girlfriend knows she exists, knows that we're close friends but that's pretty much the extent of it. I don't think she'd take to kindly if she knew about her frequent visits. I think back to our earlier conversation and how lovely that ended and I don't waste another beat giving her my answer.

"I do. It'd mean a lot to me."

"Okay. I'll have to check for a flight in a little bit but I'll let you know, okay?"

"Don't be silly. I can book you a flight." I tell her because she's coming out here for me. Why should she have to pay?

"Justin, I'm a big girl. I can book my own flight."

I sigh. We've been through this same conversation plenty of times before.

"I know you're a big girl Caroline. Just let me do this for you okay?"

She lets out a small sigh and I know I've won her over.

"Okay fine. But don't book me a damn first class ticket again. I don't need all that."

"Girl, everyone deserves the first class experience. Don't argue." I chide gently.

"Okay, whatever. Just let me know details. Think you can get to sleep now?"

I'm about to protest when a yawn interrupts me and we both laugh together.

"I think it's a possibility."

"Good. See you soon Justin."

"Night Carebear. I'll see you soon. I love you."

"Love you too, Justin. Sleep well."

And with that, I hear the line go dead. A sense of calmness and ease rushes over me as once again toss my phone on the night stand and readjust my covers. Sometimes, all it takes is one person for things to just fall into place.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story