Author's Chapter Notes:

Another Chapter!! Thank you soooo much to everyone who reads this and reviews :)

You Get Me Through
Chapter 3.


I take a deep breath, trying to relieve some of the tension in my body as I wait for the elevator to reach the lobby floor. I adjust my purse on my shoulder, tightening my grasp on my suitcase as the doors ding open and I step in side. I retrieve the key that was left for me a the front desk and slide it into the slot by the numbers, allowing me access to the penthouse floor. I lean against the railing, watching the numbers go up and lean my head forward. Elevators always did make me a little dizzy. My body is a little tired from traveling but I take a deep breath, filling my lungs with air and regaining some energy. I'm here for a reason. I'm here because Justin needs me.

The elevator finally meets my destination as I step out, tucking my hair behind my ears, adjusting my luggage and make my way to the end of the dimly lit hallway. I stop in front of one of the five penthouses on this floor and knock easily. It's late so I hope he's still awake. I had intended to come earlier but something came up and not wanting to break my promise, took a later flight.

I'm here though. That's all that matters right?

I get no answer so I knock again, this time a little louder and I ponder the idea of just using the key he left for me but this is still Justin's room. I don't want to interrupt...anything. I'm about to put my key to use when the door slowly swings open and the site that meets me instantly sends pain to my chest.

Justin is standing there, shirtless, in a pair of black basketball shorts, eyes red and puffy, and a half empty bottle of Jack Daniels clutched to his right hand. As good looking as he naturally is, he looks like shit right about now.

He stands back, allowing me entry and I walk in cautiously, looking around the room and making sure that no one else is here. I set my purse and bags down in the small entry way and instantly turn to him but before I can get two words out he's standing in front of me, pulling me into his arms, his hands now empty. I'm slightly overwhelmed by the light woodsy scent that can only belong to Justin, mixed with the distinct whiff of alcohol. His face is buried in my hair, breathing in slowly and I just let him do this for a few minutes.

He said he needed me. Apparently he wasn't lying.

My hands run easily up and down the warm expanse of his back, feeling his skin shiver in the process. Finally it's too much and I pull back a little, meeting his haggard features.

"What's going on Justin?"

He let's out a soft breath of air but he doesn't let go of me. "Everything's just falling to shit Carebear. Everything."

I smile at his very own nick name for me but am aware that he still has yet to answer my question.

"Why don't we start from the top."

He pulls away abruptly and goes into the living room of the suite and grabs a magazine before tossing it at me and throwing himself down on the couch. I look at him curiously. My eyes land on a very clear photo of his girlfriend looking really cozy with another male actor. I don't really read the small paragraph underneath it but I can quickly point out words like ‘fling' and ‘love affair' and don't miss the distinct question at the end of ‘Is her romantic bliss with Timberlake over?'

I bite my lip, carefully going to sit down beside Justin on the couch.

"Just, do you really think she's cheating? You know Steph loves the hell out of you."

He doesn't miss a beat before I hear him scoff, rolling his eyes and looking away from me.

"Wouldn't doubt it." He confesses.

I shake my head. "Justin, this is bull. You know how tabloids are. They can take the most innocent photo and run with it and make up some line of bullshit."

He looks at me, blinking owlishly. "Yeah Care, I know but it's like.. Steph, she's talked about this guy before. I swear every time we talk, she always finds a way to mention him. I get that their friends and everything but that picture looks like a lot more than just friends." He shakes his head, looking at me sadly. "And when I talk to her, she's just... I don't know. She's different."

"When was the last time you saw her?"

"It's been.. like over a month and a half maybe?"

Okay so that's pretty damn long.

"Okay, that's a long time. Is she coming out on tour?"

He looks back at me, his face falling as he reaches for the bottle again, taking a big gulp and wincing a little as the liquid burns down his throat.

"Yeah right. She's been working on a movie. Anything to use as an excuse."

"Hey, you know the business you're in doesn't make it easy."

"No shit."

My eyes widen a little at the sharp tone in his words. He usually keeps his temper at bay around me, thought I can say easily that I've seen him lose his cool plenty of times.

"Have you tried calling her?" I ask, trying to reach for the bottle from him. He doesn't need to get shitfaced. He'll hate himself tomorrow when he has to perform for a hour and a half under blazing hot lights.

"Yeah and like I said.. somethings just off. I just have this feeling..." He trails off, looking around the room.

"Justin.. just trying not to think about if for now okay? Why don't you go lay down, huh? Get some sleep. Maybe you'll feel better in the morning."

I hope he takes this suggestion. Drunk Justin can be a very very bad thing and I honestly don't know if I'm prepared to deal with that right now.

He looks towards the door of what I'm assuming is the bedroom and begins to stand but wobbles and ends up right back on the couch. I laugh slightly, hoping he doesn't hear me as I stand and reach a hand out to him. He takes it quickly, and trying again. His body is heavy as he leans against my five foot seven inch frame. I quickly grab the bottle from him and place on on the wet bar against the wall just to the left of the living room.

In spite of the situation, I'm just a little overwhelmed with the warm heat of him against me and the overwhelming scent that he gives off. He always smells so good and even though I'm helping his strongly buzzed if not drunk self to his bedroom, I can't help but feel safe by it. I laugh softly to myself hoping he doesn't notice.

"What?" He asks, looking at me confused.

I shake my head. "Nothing. It's just that.. you smell good."

He tries to smile a little, amused by it even though it's definitely not the first time he's heard it.

"Thanks. I love it when you tell me that."

I shake my head as we continue our stumbled journey.

We make it to the bedroom thankfully in one piece as I kick the already half open door, and set him on the side of the bed. I pull his arm up and over my shoulders where it was draped around and go to step back but his hand catches mine softly as bloodshot blue eyes look back at me pleadingly.

"Will you stay with me Carebear?" He asks and I hesitate a second before he adds a desperate "Please?" to the question.

I think for a second, knowing very well that there is another bedroom in this room, not to mention that the couch is fine with me but I know what already what my mind is telling me and I know exactly what I'm going to tell him.

"Alright. I just need to go put on something to sleep in."

He still hasn't let go of my hand yet, holding on to it desperately like a life line.

"You can sleep in one of my t-shirts." He tells me nodding to his huge suitcase in the corner of the room.

I give in, walking over to the corner of the room, digging through the massive pile he has. I pull out something that's light blue and disappear into the bathroom thats connected. I quickly pull my tank top and jean shorts from my body, replacing it with his shirt and my senses are hit hard once again when the smell of Justin comes over me. I curse at my reflection in the mirror, knowing that if i were to go get all my crap out of my suitcase to wash my face, it'd add at least another twenty five minutes to his waiting and I don't want to do that. I make my way out of the bathroom only to find Justin rolled to one side, the lights in the room at the dimmest setting. He's got the covers pulled back, waiting for me and look down at the t-shirt I'm wearing and suddenly like I need to add a little to my wardrobe. The shirt hits my thighs but can't help but feel like my body is overly exposed.

I remind myself this is Justin and that I will be fine. He's never crossed that line. He'd never hurt me.

I crawl in slowly as I turn on my side to meet him looking back at me through glassy eyes. He moves closer and I open my arms, allowing him to take up that space. His head is instantly pillowed on my chest as I use the opportunity to run my fingers through his hair. He shivers at the contact like he always does and I don't miss the soft puff of air that escapes his lips. He's starting to relax.

"It's going to be okay, Jus. It'll all blow over. Just try not to think about it."

"I'm trying Caroline. Trust me. I just have this feeling. Something doesn't feel right."

I really have no idea what to tell him because I myself am not sure of this. Stephanie is an interesting person. She's very Hollywood if I were to explain her. There are times when I honestly don't know what Justin sees in her besides her looks. Sure shes gorgeous but shes not like us. She's not from the south, doesn't know how to just let go of drama and enjoy life. I swear with her, it's always something. There are times when I have no idea what Justin sees in her but I never ask him that because I see the way he looks at her. He loves her and if he's happy, that's enough for me.

"You're just thinking way to much into it. Wait until tomorrow morning and call her and straighten it out. You know tabloids love to run with whatever they can get Justin. Don't beat yourself up over a story. She'd have to be crazy to cheat on you in the first place."

He turns his chip up, meeting my eyes with a grin lazily dancing across his lips.

"You really are the best, you know."

I smile back winking at him for good measure as I begin to massage the tight muscles of his shoulders. He lets out a low rumble from deep in the back of his throat and I can feel his body melt into mine with relaxation. We speak quietly for the next fifteen minutes as he asks me about back home, how my family is doing and how things are with work. I'm sure he's desperate to talk about anything to take away the nagging thoughts in his mind and honestly, I don't mind.

We reminisce on times when we were younger, before he made it big and his random trips home to Tennessee for Holidays, when he could find the free time to make it there. He laughs quietly against me, sending a rumble through my chest and I can't help but smile myself, remembering those times and pleased at the same time that he's in a better mood.

Once I'm done with his shoulders, my nails trail down the path of his back, running up and down the expanse of his spine. He shivers instantly but doesn't tell me to stop. I know this relaxes him because he tells me all the time. This thing with him and I could easily be clarified as weird. I don't even know how to put a word on it exactly so I don't really try to define it. With Justin, it simply is what it is. He needs a break from real life, from all the drama, the gossip, to work so I give it to him and he gives whatever it may be to me back just as much.

We just.. I really can't even tell you. We click. We're friends. Close friends. We've been through a lot together. Maybe one day I'll have the courage to clarify all of that.

He turns a little so he's draped halfway over my side, his stomach now against me and the mattress. My hands come to a still at the base of his neck as he looks up at me, eyes still a little red and hazy but he looks... finally relaxed. Better. A lot better than when I opened the door a few hours ago.

He's got this weird look though. One that I can't even really specify. He looks....confused maybe?

"I'm really glad you're here Caroline. I mean really."

I smile and nod. "It's not a big deal Justin. You needed me."

I'm not really prepared as he leans down closer to me, softly busing my forehead before he places a small kiss there. My eyes close instantly, taking in how gentle he is. He pulls back, just studying me for a few moments. I know he's seen all of me, scars and all so my confusion begins to grow as he continues. He doesn't speak, just looking back at me, taking in the features of my face. Normally that would make me uncomfortable but I remind myself that this is Justin.

I'm taken aback when his head dips down again, only this time his lips land on mine, soft and confident. My first reaction is to remind him who he's kissing, to make sure he's sober and aware of what he's doing but then I think back to all of the times where he's kissed me before. Just simple kisses. It's how we show our love for people right? His lips are warm and soft and I can hardly taste the faintest trace of alcohol as he sips at my lips. I expect him to pull away seconds later but am not prepared as he moves back, only to come back down again and this time, his lips linger.

My heart begins to thud loudly at the initial reality of what he's doing and I curse myself for enjoying it but I don't have time to think as he pulls away, rolling off of me and onto his side as he buries his face in my neck, breath fanning against my skin and one of his arms wraps loosely around my waist. I fight away the urge to remind him of what he just did. He's not a cheater, has never been one and I'm wondering why he'd choose now to start. A kiss isn't really cheating, right? We're friends.

No, you see... Justin's always the one that gets cheated on. He knows how bad it hurts. I've seen it in his eyes first hand.

He's nestled up beside me and I use this opportunity to get more comfortable and drape and arm over his back, still feeling my lips tingle from his kiss. I tell myself it meant nothing. He was just showing gratitude. Love for a friend.

It's quiet for a second because I honestly have no idea what to say right now. I can feel his breathing slow down a little as I feel the vibrations in his chest as he speaks quietly against me.

"You know Carebear, sometimes," He trails off a little. "sometimes I wonder why you're so good to me."

As he speaks, I can feel his lips moving ever so slightly against the skin of my neck as I will myself not to react to it. It's not right, this is Justin for pete sake.

I try to smile and think of something to say back to him but in all honesty, I know that he's not the only one who wonders about this because deep down, I know theirs been times where I've questioned it myself. I push the thoughts to the way side as I tighten my grasp on him, closing my eyes and hoping he'll do the same because right now, I don't really want to get into this. I don't want to question it, define it, ask myself why. I just... need some sleep. Yeah, that's it. Sleep.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story