Author's Chapter Notes:
Another chapter. I promise this story is moving.. I have new ideas every day ;) Thanks to those of you who are reading. Reviews are nice :)
You Get Me Through
Chapter 4.

I feel... like I can breathe today. There's something about waking up next to someone who's got your back no matter what that just eases all the shit going on in my life. I know a few days ago, I was a wreck but having my best friend show up meant the world to me. Caroline has been on tour with me for about three days now and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

All the shit with Steph... well let's just say I'm trying not to think about it. I've talked to her every day since the night after Caroline showed up and she still denies any wrong doing but I've still got that feeling. For now, I try to just brush it off. I'd drive myself crazy if I sat around and worried about it. Which brings me back to the other female in my life, which to some would say is odd. I mean i've introduced her as my best friend from back home to my crew and they all nod along in acceptance but I really don't get their weird ass smiles they give me when I talk about her. Care and I are friends. I don't think she's ever given me the impression that she's looked at me as more than that.

But yeah, I've actually had some time off so we've been spending time shopping, playing video games, basically just shooting the breeze whenever possible. She's been to my shows every night since she's got here and for some reason, her impute and support for what I do goes a long way. Even though she's seen me on stage before, she's always got something new to say, new comments or compliments, random parts she likes better than others. Having her around is a breath of fresh air and honestly, I have no idea what I've done to deserve her.

But moving on from my radome reverie of the past few days. I'm backstage, getting dressed and ready for tonight's show and she's been popping in and out of my dressing room, having been on the phone with her editor taking care of some business.

"You're hair is a little out of place, Timberlake. We might have to cancel the show."

I hear her voice as she walks into the room, blackberry in her hand. I turn and look at her with wide eyes, hand clutched to my chest.

"WHAT? Please tell me you're joking. I cannot leave this room with my hair out of place!" I mock and she laughs.

"We can't have an arena only half full of screaming girls wanting to have your babies."

I laugh and shake my head, as I pull on my dress shirt over the tank top I'm already wearing. I turn to look at her and wink in a cocky manner, feeding our long running joke.

"Baby, you know that'd never happen. The ladies can't get enough of this."

She rolls her eyes back at me and plops down on the couch in the corner of the room.

"It's a good thing I know the real you or else you'd really be a cocky jackass."

I look back at her hurt, sticking my lip out and pouting. "You love me."

She tries to keep a straight face but it eventually breaks into a smile.

"You're right. We still going out tonight after the show?"

"Yeah that's the plan. The guys are really excited your coming." I tell her, pulling on the gray jacket that completes my outfit. We've been talking about it for a few days now and tonight seemed to work the best with scheduling. Nothing pressing is going on this weekend and I think we both could use a night out to just blow off some steam.

She blinks her eyelashes flirtatiously. "Excited about little ol' me?"

Sometimes, she's seriously modest about herself. She's all naturally beauty. Nothing on her is fake, her hair is still the color she was born with and if I haven't stressed it enough, she's got one of the best hearts out there.

"Shut it Carebear. You know you're gorgeous. You just wait and see how many guys are all over you tonight."

She opens her mouth to say something back, probably sarcastic if I were to guess but someone raps on the door letting me know that I've got ten minutes till show time. I take one more glance in the mirror, nodding in approval and smiling as Caroline's face comes into the view of my mirror. I turn around and take in her standing their, arms crossed and dressed in a pair of faded jeans and a black tank top.

"You still got it Jus. Break a leg tonight, okay?"

I smile at her, wrapping her in a big hug and holding her against me. Her arms come apart and I feel them settle on the small of my back. I lean forward, pressing a soft kiss on her forehead and don't miss how her blue eyes slid shut and open back up to look at me. I smile instantly creeps on my lips and I don't know what it is but whenever she's around, I'm always in a good mood. She just has this thing about her...

I swear it's only sixty seconds that goes by but she's got this curious look on her face and I want nothing more than to know what she's thinking.

"What's wrong?"

She shakes her head, as if clearing out the cobwebs from her mind.

"Nothing. You were just.. looking at me funny."

I raise an eyebrow. "Funny?"

"Yeah. Like you were the other night when you asked me to sleep in your bed. You just..got this look on your face and then-..."

She trails off and I'm growing more curious by the second.

"And then what?"

Her face falls and she bites her lip for a second. "Nothing Jus. You better get going."

Okay, so I'm even more curious now.

"No, tell me." I say, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

She takes a deep breath as if she's gotta build up the courage to say it and for some reason I can feel my palms start to sweat. That hands that were on my back have fallen and are now hanging at her sides but I myself haven't moved. Something tells me not to. I try to do a run down of the night she first got here and mentally curse myself, hoping I didn't do or say something in my depressive state. I remember I was drinking but I swear I knew what the hell was going on.

I have a small notion of what she might be referring to but clearly it couldn't be that.

She takes another deep breath and looks up at me through thick eyelashes.

"You ki-."

And right when she gets out the first syllable, my tour manager pops his head inside my door.

"Come on Justin. Show time in five minutes. They're waiting for you."

I nod at him, quietly cursing under my breath as he exits the room. What the hell was she going to say? Whatever it is, it sounds serious and it'd kill me if I did something to fuck up our friendship. She means way to much to me. I try to give her that goofy flirtatious smile that I do that always seems to make her laugh and it doesn't fail me this time. Her hand comes up to my cheek, thumb moving across it smoothly.

"Get going Mr. Pop star. Your fans are waiting."

I nod, already feeling a void as her hand drops from my face. I really want to stay here and talk to her. Curl up together on the couch and figure out what the hell she was going to tell me.

"Tonight." I say, leaning in again and busing her forehead.

She winks at me, trying to look confident and self assured but I know whatever is going through her mind has her thoughts in a whirlwind. I used to be able to read her at the flip of a switch but right now I'm not feeling so confident. She's matured a lot ever the years because she's had to so reading her isn't always that easy anymore. Tonight...tonight I'll get to the bottom of this.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story