"You actually bought the bird watching shit?" Trace laughs and shakes his head. "Damn.. I knew you were an idiot, I just never realized you were that stupid."

"You're an asshole." I mutter and roll my eyes. "And of course I didn't buy it.. I figured she was a fan or something. I was a little more concerned with the fact that she just fell out of the damn tree. You can die from a head injury, ya know."    

Believe it or not, I know my best friend is right.    

Offering to help that girl yesterday wasn't exactly the smartest thing I've ever done, especially since she was so obviously watching me but shit... she fell out of the God damn tree!    

She could have broken her neck, or busted her head open or something. I wasn't about to just leave her laying on the sidewalk. Sorry, but I don't want anybody dying on my account.    

Besides... I'm sure my checking up on her totally made her life or something.    

And, there was something about her self deprecating attitude that I kind of liked. She didn't scream in my face or cry, so she automatically gets points for that. And, she was actually kind of pretty in this completely subtle way.    

I sincerely doubt I'll ever see her again, but I'd almost like to, just to see if she's always that awkward.      

"So, you're not gonna get all weird about this, are you?" Trace asks and eyes me carefully.    

I'm not about to admit it, but I know exactly what he's talking about.     

I seem to have this habit of falling for a woman, way too quickly. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a pretty face.     

It always happens the same way. We meet, I lose my shit over her, we date for awhile, one of us gets bored, it ends, and then I'm on to the next one.     

It's almost a vicious cycle, and I haven't quite figured out how to break it.     

It's just become impossible for me to meet interesting women. I go out, and it's always the same shit.     

Pretty girls with low IQ's.     

I'm not claiming to be a genius or anything, but I'd like to date someone who has a little more to offer to a conversation than the details on her newest pair of shoes, or what shade of eye crap brings out the green in her eyes.     

I don't care about that kind of shit. No sensible man does.     

I want somebody who can talk to me about movies or music, or politics or something completely off the wall and random.     

I just... I want something different. And I'll admit, there's been a few girls who were able to fool me into thinking they were that something different, but that front can only be put on for so long.     

If they aren't being completely real, I'll figure it out eventually. Might take some time, but I'll see through the act.     

"Nah, man." I laugh and shake my head.    

No point in worrying about someone I'll never see again, is there? 

 

*********************    

 

"Look... all I'm saying is, it could work. You've got the performing shit on the back burner, which means, I'm not doing a damn thing and it's just not working. I'm almost fucking broke dude."    

"Yeah, but.. I don't know... there's gotta be something..."     

"If there is, I haven't found it yet." He snorts and rolls his eyes. "Just.. think about it, alright?"    

"Yeah... yeah, I'll think about it." I nod slowly, mulling over what my best friend has just asked of me.     

I know where he's coming from, and I sympathize with him, but there's better ways to make money than what he's suggesting.     

And, it's partially my fault that he isn't working. His role as my assistant is solely for when I'm on the road and I've been off the road a pretty long damn time now. Naturally, that's impacting his bank account. I guess I could always just loan him the money or something.    

But then again... what he's asked me to do would be quick, and bring in a shit ton of money.    

So... we'll see.    

"This is where you want to eat? Seriously?" Trace rolls his eyes and groans. "Weren't you just here like two fucking days ago?"    

"They've got good spaghetti." I shrug stupidly.     

"Whatever man." He sighs as we head inside.    

Just before I enter the building, I take a quick look around and frown.     

Alright... I didn't come here for the spaghetti. Which, I'm sure you already figured out.   

I came here in the hope that maybe, with any hint of luck, Abby would be hanging around somewhere.     

I'm not gonna go into stalker mode and hunt her down or anything. I just... I'd like to see her again. I don't really know why, I just do.     

It's been two days since she fell out of that tree, and for some reason... she won't leave my mind.     

And that's when I remember.        

When she fell... she only had on one shoe.     

I head straight for the tree and take a casual look around, just to make sure no one's watching, and peer up into the tree.     

Yep.. it's still there.     

I hoist myself up and snatch the beat up Chuck Taylor low-top off of the branch and quickly hop down.     

"Dude...what the fuck are you doing? I've got our table." Trace calls from the doorway of the restaurant as I head in his direction. "What the hell is that?" He turns his nose up at the sight of me carrying a shoe that clearly isn't mine, and rolls his eyes. "Are you garbage picking? What are you doing?"    

"It's Abby's shoe." I shrug.    

I'm sure I look completely fucking insane... but I'm sure the girl wants her shoe back, right?    

"Oh my god..." He laughs loudly and shakes his head. "What the fuck is this? Cinderella? What happened to not getting weird about this one?"    

"I'm not getting weird... I figured she'd probably want her shoe back."    

"And exactly how are you gonna find her? Send a PI after her or something? Dude.. you're losing your damn mind."    

"Nah... I'll figure something out. Chill out man... it's not a big deal."    

"Right... I'll quote that back to you when you're ready to buy her a fucking ring on the second date." He mutters and rolls his eyes. "Can we eat now, or do you need to pull some socks out of the fucking sewer?"    

"Cute."    

He may be my best friend, but he's a total fucking prick when he doesn't understand something.     

I'm not saying it's normal to pull some random chick's shoe out of a tree, but shit... what if everything that happened the other day, was supposed to happen?    

I'm a firm believer in fate, and when things literally fall into your life, you don't just let that go.     

Besides... I seem to have stepped into my own twisted version of Cinderella, and that's pretty fucking cool, if you ask me.     

Aren't little mysteries what keep life interesting?    

The only problem now is, I haven't got the slightest clue where to find this girl.

Hell... I don't even know where to start looking.  

 

          



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story