Author's Chapter Notes:
4 am. not proofread. enjoy!

    

"Look man... it's nothing against the chick. She seems alright... her brother's a fuckin weirdo, but she's ok I guess. But, you're not some single dude who can run around picking up girls whenever you feel like it."    

"I'm not trying to pick her up, you idiot."    

"Then what are you doing? Cause from where I'm standing, it looks like you're using her to make Jess your next ex-girlfriend." He gives me a pointed look and all I can do is roll my eyes.    

He's right about one thing. I'm not single. But, he's pretty far off base about the rest of it.    

After the other night at the diner, I realized my interest in seeing Abby again was merely curiosity. She came into my life under some pretty fucking weird circumstances and I guess I just wanted to know a little bit about her.    

Once I found out that she's unemployed and barely old enough to drink legally, any romantic ideas I may or may not have had, disappeared.    

So, I'm taking all of this for exactly what it is. The chance to meet some new people.    

I shouldn't have to defend that to Trace or anybody else. He's acting like I'm not allowed to have friends or some shit and it's starting to get really fucking irritating.      

"It's not like that man." I sigh loudly. "She's just somebody new to hang out with. It's nothing major."        

"Right, that's why you asked damn near everybody we know, if they knew who she was. Then, you hunted her down and stalked her to that diner." I frown and roll my eyes as he continues to berate me.    

I guess he does have a point there.    

I spent an entire week asking around about her and when I finally found somebody who knew who she was, I got as much information as I could.   I went to her apartment to give her shoe back, but she just happened to be leaving, so I followed her. I'm well aware that's considered stalking in pretty much all 50 states, but I was just curious.    

Besides... I totally made the whole thing pretty low key.    

She went in the diner and we drove around for an hour before we decided to go in. It all worked out perfectly fine. I don't know what the hell Trace is all up in arms about.    

"All I'm saying is... watch your ass, alright?" He sighs loudly and shakes his head. "Anyway... you think about what I asked you?"    

"Yeah... sort of." I shrug as he rolls his eyes. "It just... something about it ain't right man."    

He rolls his eyes again and looks at me like I'm five years old. "Either you want to, or you don't. Plain and simple. As long as we keep it small, there's no way to get caught."    

I nod slowly, letting his words sink in.     

I'm not comfortable with any of this, but I do understand where he's coming from. By not working, I've basically put him out of a job and yeah... I do feel bad about it. But, it's not like he's on the verge of going bankrupt. He's probably got more than enough in his savings to live off of.     

"Look... I can just write you a check man... if you need any more than that, I've got you, alright?"    

Now that I'm thinking about it... maybe he is headed into a financial hole. I mean... yeah, I've got plenty of money to throw around, and even though I used to pay him fairly well, several years of trying to keep up with my spending probably put a pretty good dent in his wallet.     

If that's the case, I'd be more than happy to just give him the money.    

"C'mon... I'm not a fucking mooch." He groans and rubs his face in frustration. "Just forget it, alright? I'll get a job at a fucking grocery store or something."    

"It's not mooching when I offer it." I state simply and he rolls his eyes. "Alright... fine... I'll do it."    

I've got a really shitty feeling about this. But, Trace is my best friend.     

I gotta believe that he'd never steer me wrong.

 

***************    

 

"I just... don't think that's a good idea." She sighs and I can hear movement on her end.    

"And why is that? It's just coffee." I chuckle softly and roll my eyes.     

When Abby gave me her number at the diner the other night (oddly enough, under the insistence of her older brother) I took it as a good sign.         

I like the girl. She's different, she's funny and she's just interesting to be around, despite the fact that she may be a fan or whatever. I figured once we did the whole exchanging numbers thing, she'd be up for hanging out.    

Apparently, I was wrong.    

I mean... I can understand that she's got errands to run or whatever, but how is it possible for someone with no job to be so damn busy?    

I've called her four times now and every single time, there's some excuse.     

She's busy.    

She doesn't feel good.    

She's doing laundry.    

Blah, blah, fuckin blah.    

I'm really starting to feel like I'm wasting my time and if that's the case... I don't plan on hanging around much longer.     

Best I can figure is that she either just flat out doesn't like me, or she's convinced I'm trying to get in her pants.    

But, if she didn't like me, why give me her number? Sure, her brother encouraged it, but he's not her fuckin keeper.  If she doesn't like me or doesn't wanna hang out, all she's gotta do is say the word and I'll be out of her hair.    

And she can rest assured that I don't plan on trying to seduce her now, or anytime in the near future. I'm spoken for and at 21, she's a little on the young side for me.     

I just want some new people to hang around with. Is that really so odd? Don't get me wrong, I love the friends I've already got but sometimes you just want to be around different people.    

"Coffee's really bad for you, ya know. Stains your teeth... it smells horrible... tastes even worse... raises your heart rate. Yeah... coffee's... bad." She rambles and I can't help but laugh.    

This girl is so fucking weird but I love every second of it.    

"Alright... you don't like coffee. I get it. You pick the place then."    

"Just... meet me at the diner." She mutters and the dial tone is a sure sign that I've won.    

Within 20 minutes, I'm at the diner seated in a corner booth and before I have the chance to even order a drink, Abby walks in, looking mildly harassed. She plops down across from me and rolls her eyes.    

"Happy now?"    

"Hey... you didn't have to come." I shrug as she mutters something under her breath.    

"Right... anyway...why are we here?"    

"Just hanging out."    

"Umm... alrighty then." She nods and quickly grabs a menu.     

"This isn't a date Abby..."    

"I know." She mumbles, not taking her eyes off the menu. "If I thought it was, I wouldn't be here."    

Well... that's definitely good to know.    

As much as I'd like to get to know this girl, I was slightly worried that she had some type of crush or something.    

I know what kind of chicks hang out in trees and shit trying to see me. And maybe I should have drawn the line there, but Abby's just... I don't know. I just like her.      

As weird as tracking her down may have been, it just might end up being worth completely worth it.    

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story