"Honestly Abby... I don't see what the big deal is. It's been three weeks and the best you've gotten so far is that he's funny? What the hell are you doing? You should have atleast a hint of something by now."    

"He doesn't do anything! He calls, we get something to eat and talk, then we go home. End of story. He's a nice, boring guy, Eric. There's nothing there... can we please move onto something else?"    

"You aren't getting close enough." He mutters and rolls his eyes. "I'm not paying you to be some acquaintance, Brewer. I need you in his face 24-7. That's the only way you're gonna get something."    

"Ok... and how the hell do I do that? He's got a girlfriend and some random chick hanging around isn't gonna sit well with her."    

"Who cares?" He shrugs and let's out a loud laugh. "You're charming... in a really fucking weird way. And, you aren't half bad to look at. He's got a reputation for screwing around. This is so fucking simple Abby. Use your feminine wiles. Bat your eyelashes, flip your hair... I don't give a shit what you do. Just get something!"    

I don't think it's possible to hate a person as much as I hate Eric.    

I mean, I know the guy's a prick, but even he has to have atleast some feelings, right? He has to know that what he's asking me to do is so completely wrong.    

I've been hanging out with Justin for a few weeks now and from what I can see, he's a really good guy who just wants to live his life as normally as possible. He's pretty happy in his relationship and his only complaint about it is that he doesn't see his girlfriend near as much as he'd like to.    

Eric may think he's just trying to make money, but by increasing the dollar amount in his bank account, he could very well ruin someone's life.    

And, as much as I don't want to be a part of that, I don't have a choice.    

Eric's a well known and respected guy (for reasons that are completely beyond me, by the way) and if I don't get him his story, he could make it damn near impossible for me to get a job outside of this crap ass magazine.    

Countless people have gone up against Eric Rhodes and it never ends well for them. I can't become another nobody because I pissed off the wrong guy.    

My hands are tied. I have to do this whether I like it or not.

 

****************    

 

"I mean... I get where he's coming from... he doesn't make anywhere near as much as I do, which is kind of my fault and I could totally lend him the money but he's too god damn stubborn for that." Justin sighs and rubs his temples.    

"So give him some work to do." I shrug before taking a large bite of my key lime pie.    

Justin shoots me a mildly disgusted look as I shovel pie in my mouth and I groan inwardly.    

So much for that feminine wiles bullshit Eric was spitting.    

But then again... I had a funny feeling that batting my eyelashes a few times wouldn't exactly force Justin Timberlake into falling madly in love with me and spilling all his dirty secrets.    

Sometimes, I think Eric just doesn't get it.    

Yeah, I've hung out with Justin several times in the last few weeks, but that doesn't mean shit. He doesn't know me from Adam and has no reason to trust me. Only a fucking psycho would spill their life story to someone they barely know.    

Eric's got this idea in his head that this will be some quick and painless project but he's dead wrong. This is gonna take time, and a lot of it.    

"You eat more than any chick I know." Justin chuckles and rolls his eyes.     

"I like food." I shrug taking another bite of pie. "And it'll prolly catch up with me when I'm like 40 and I'll end up in Guinness as the world's largest woman or something."    

"Doubt it." He laughs before grabbing a fork and stealing part of my pie.    

I reach across the table and slap his hand, laughing at the shocked look on his face. "Hey... you asked for it. You don't steal food from me and get away with it. Anyway... Trace..."    

A pained look flickers across his face before he forces a smile. "I'll figure something out... or I'll just start recording again."    

"Also an option." I nod slowly.    

Now... I'll be the first to admit, the fact that Justin is venting some of his frustrations to me is a good sign, atleast as far as work goes anyway.    

On the personal front... it's making me feel pretty shitty.    

I like the guy. I really do. He's incredibly laid back and fun to talk to. He isn't the egotistical jackass he's portrayed as, in the least. And for some strange reason, he finds my idiocy entertaining.    

As much as I hate what I have to do to him, I don't have a choice. But, if I'm really lucky... I'll pal around with him for a few months, Eric will see that there's no story here and drop the whole thing.    

I don't have my hopes up or anything, but I'll atleast keep my fingers crossed for awhile.    

"You wanna get out of here?"    

"Oh.. umm... yeah sure. I've got some stuff I should be doing at home anyway." I shrug and pull a 20 out of my pocket.    

"No..." He laughs and shakes his head. "I meant... do you wanna go back to my place and hang out there?"        

I bite down on my lip and eye him carefully. He can't be serious, can he?    

"I don't know..."    

"C'mon... let's go." He grins and rises from his seat then grabs me by the arm and drags me out of the diner.    

This has bad idea written all over it.

 

**********************       

 

"Umm... don't... don't you... uhh... have a girl... girlfriend?" I stutter stupidly as his mouth inches along my neck.    

I swear to Christ... I don't know how I let this happen.    

One minute, we were sitting around watching TV, laughing and talking like we've been doing for weeks now, then the next he just pounced on me.    

Maybe he's some twisted fuck who finds over-eating attractive.    

Wouldn't Eric just love for that to be the story I dig up? I can almost see that vein in his forehead popping out already.        

"Mmhmm." He mumbles against my skin.    

"So.. don't you... think this should stop? Like, now?"    

"Abby... shut the fuck up." He laughs as he reaches the collar of my shirt.    

I know this is the sort of thing Eric wanted me to do, but I can't ignore just how wrong it feels.     

Sure... there is a bit of an attraction to Justin, but that isn't what this is about. If I was here just because of a crush, I'd be able to throw caution to the wind and not worry about the rest of it.    

But... I'm here for a story, and yes... sleeping with Justin would get me that story and definitely make my boss happy, but I do have some morals.    

Sleeping with Justin would make me no better than Molly and the last damn thing I want is to stoop to her level.     

He quickly undoes the first button with his mouth, his tongue swiping across the now exposed skin. He repeats this process with the remaining six buttons and I bite down harder on my lip each time, until I finally draw blood.    

This is so not fucking good. As much as my head is screaming at me to stop, my body just doesn't seem to want to listen.    

I'm gonna get myself in so much fucking trouble.    

He pushes me onto my back before sliding my jeans down my legs and smirking up at me. Maybe Eric was right about him.    

Maybe he isn't the sweet, innocent guy I had him pegged as. After all, he seems to have no problem cheating on his girlfriend. With a girl he hardly knows, no less.    

His hand slides between my legs and he rubs me through the thin fabric of my silk panties before he pulls them off slowly.    

What the fuck am I doing?    

I was raised so much better than this, yet here I am and nothing seems to be stopping me.     

His mouth is on mine in an instant and before I know it, he's on top of me. I can feel him pressing into my leg and I can't help but groan.    

This teasing shit is way, way uncool.    

I nudge his side as he tears his mouth away from mine and smiles down at me. "What?" He whispers, a hint of mischief in his eyes    

"Oh c'mon... just do it already." I drawl out and roll my eyes as he laughs at me.    

"Fine... fine, but you asked for it." He smirks, situating himself so that his hips are resting against mine.    

In one swift movement, he's buried deep inside of me and I can't stop the moan that escapes. He holds himself still, breathing heavily for several minutes and staring down at me, his eyes set in an intense gaze.    

"Shit, Abby... you're... you're not a..."    

"No!" I giggle and roll my eyes, wiggling my hips against his. "You're not corrupting me or anything... it's all good. Trust me."    

He nods before biting his lip and pulling out slightly. He slides in again so slowly, it feels like torture and I bite down on his shoulder.    

I'm so gonna rot in hell, but right now... it's the furthest thing from my mind. I can't see, think or feel anything but him.    

Ten minutes later, I'm seated on the edge of the bathtub clad in one of Justin's T-shirts, phone in hand.    

I browse through my contacts and stop when I come to Megan's number.    

This phone call could change everything.     

If I call her now, it'll finally set everything in motion. I'll give Eric exactly what he wants and most likely be rewarded for it.     

Or, I can keep the whole thing to myself and pray like hell that no one finds out.    

I take a deep breath and hit send, shutting my eyes tightly as the phone rings for several minutes. Just as I'm about to snap the phone shut, Megan's voice filters into my ear.    

"Woman... you better be fucking dead or something, calling me at two in the morning like some god damn lunatic."    

"Meg... I...I..."    

"Shit, Abby... what's wrong? Are you ok? Do I need to go buy a gun? What's going on?"    

"I'm at Justin's." I breathe out.    

"Umm... alright, thanks for the update..." She chuckles and I can just picture her shaking her head. "I'll alert the media."    

"I...I...I slept with him." I mutter, hating the way the words sound leaving my own mouth.    

"Oh shit..." She shouts and I can hear movement on her end. "I'm getting dressed and going to the office... meet me there in 20?"    

"Umm...yeah...yeah, I'll be there." I wince and close my phone, setting it on the edge of the sink.    

A loud knock echoes through the bathroom and I scramble to the sink, splashing cold water on my face before opening the door and forcing the best smile I can manage.    

"You alright?" Justin smiles awkwardly and leans against the doorframe, crossing his arms over his bare chest.        

"Oh.. umm... yeah. I'm... fine." I nod slowly and swallow hard. "I gotta...I gotta go though."    

"You don't have to..." He sighs. "Shit... I knew this was a bad idea...I fucking... shit."    

"It's ok, really." I shrug helplessly. "Shit happens, ya know? But umm... I really gotta go." I mutter and push past him, slipping into my jeans. "Just umm... call me later or something."    

"Yeah, I will." He nods, keeping his eyes focused on the floor.    

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who seems to have a bit of an issue with this.    

Unfortunately, Justin's concern is that he's just cheated on his fairly serious girlfriend with a girl he hasn't even known for a month.    

My problem is... well... there's too many of them to list, frankly.    

"Abby... you're... you're not gonna tell anybody about this, are you?"    

I study him carefully, immediately picking up on the tension in his shoulders and the look of shame on his face.     

I shouldn't have called Megan.    

"Course not."    

"Thanks." He mutters as I grab my jacket and haul ass out of the house.    

As soon as I climb into my car, another wave of guilt washes over me but I quickly push it aside and head straight for the office.    

I'm doing my job. That's all it is.

I'm just doing my fucking job.

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story