"You've got about thirty seconds to calm the fuck down." Trace mutters, just loud enough for me to hear him.     

"What? I'm calm."    

"Yeah. You're cool as a fucking cucumber and I'm Madonna... excuse me while I go grab my cone bra." He snorts and shakes his head sadly.    

"Ya know... that could be a good look for you." The laughter dies in my throat as he turns to glare at me. "I've got every right to be nervous, so fuck off."    

"Actually... no, you really don't. You're the one who fucked up. You finally land yourself a decent chick and you screw around on her with some broad who, number one, is too young for you. Secondly, she ain't all that to look at. Thirdly, you barely fuckin know her."    

"Alright... you don't like Abby, I get it."    

"Don't fuckin put words in my mouth man. She's a cool girl, I just don't see the appeal. And she sure as shit ain't worth ruining a good thing for."    

Honestly, I don't expect him to understand. I don't even understand it myself.     

And yeah... I do have a good thing with Jess, but it's just... it's not the same. Abby and Jessica are on two different ends of the spectrum.     

I'm not trying to justify any of what I'm doing. I know it's wrong and you better believe there's a shit load of guilt over it, but when I'm around Abby... I just can't stop myself. It's like all of my logical thought and morals go out the fucking window.     

People begin filing out of the walkway and my stomach tightens. I don't think I've ever felt as nervous or guilty as I do now. She's going to take one look at me, somehow see everything and create some scene where I come off looking like the huge douche that I am.    

I can't really blame her, but for my sake, I can only pray that no one recognizes us.     

Jessica enters the airport and I can't help but cringe. I guess it's good that I've atleast braced myself for the worst.    

She strolls up to us and in an instant, her arms are wrapped around me. It takes me a minute to respond, but when I do my arms slide around her waist and I suddenly remember just how easy being with her is.     

Maybe it shows what an asshole I'm becoming, but I can't help thinking that being with Abby is nowhere near this easy. I completely lose control with her and I know that's not good.    

Trace shoots me a scathing look behind Jessica's back and shakes his head before pushing his way through the crowd. She finally releases her hold on me and moves to follow Trace, me trailing behind the two of them.     

In my defense, atleast I know I'm an asshole.

 

*****************    

 

I don't know why, but being in the comfort of my own home seems to have put me somewhat at ease. I don't feel as jumpy and anxious as I did at the airport and the more time I spend with Jess, the more I realize this is where I belong.     

Maybe that's why this shit with Abby happened. Maybe I was supposed to finally see that my life is perfectly fine the way it is and I'm just being a jackass.     

In the three hours since Jess has been here, I've decided that my best bet is to keep Abby at arms length. Sure, we can still be friends, but the constant phone calls and spending so much time with her has to stop.     

Out of sight, out of mind, right?    

"Pizza's here." Trace sighs happily as the doorbell echoes throughout the house. He jumps out of his seat and jogs to the door, fighting the dogs the whole way.     

This is good. Hanging with my best friend and my girl, no stress, no awkwardness, no drama.     

This is normal. This is exactly how my life's supposed to be.     

Trace re-enters the living room a minute later and I can't help noticing his short, auburn haired companion.     

Fuck.    

I glance at Jess out of the corner of my eye and groan inwardly at the way her eyes narrow slightly and she leans forward in her seat.     

Shit, shit, shit.     

"Trace... I didn't know you had a girlfriend." Jess laughs as she visibly relaxes.    

"Oh.. umm... no." Abby chuckles nervously and shrugs. "We're... I'm... just... no."    

Trace rolls his eyes before sliding back into his chair. "She's not my girlfriend."        

Even I'm smart enough to pick up on the emphasis on the word my. I shoot him a quick glare before forcing the best smile I can manage. "Abby's a friend of mine."    

Abby shifts her weight awkwardly, her eyes darting around the room. "I can... I was just in the neighborhood... so... umm... yeah. I'm gonna go. Sorry if I interrupted you guys." She shrugs and begins to back out of the room.    

"You weren't interrupting anything." Jess grins. "Stay and hang out."    

Oh you have got to be fucking joking.    

Abby freezes and her wide eyes turn on me and all I can do is shrug. I don't even want to think about how it'd look if I tried to put up a fight.         

"Oh... ok." She nods and plops down beside Trace, her eyes still glued to my face.         

"So how do you guys know each other?"    

Jess and Abby start chatting easily and I can't ignore the tightness in my chest. This must be what a panic attack feels like.     

Abby may have Jess fooled, but I can see right fucking through her. She can't sit still, she's constantly screwing with her hair, biting her nails, refusing to look Jess in the eyes. She damn near has 'guilty as all hell' tattooed on her fucking forehead.     

Trace kicks me in the leg suddenly and shoots a meaningful look toward the kitchen before excusing himself and heading out there. I take his hint and follow him as quickly as I can.    

"You are so fucked." He laughs and reaches into the fridge for another drink. "Seriously dude... do you have any clue just how incredibly fucked you are right now?"    

"What'd you let her in for?"    

"It's fun to watch you squirm." He smirks.     

"Thanks a fucking lot." I mutter and shake my head. "What do I do?"    

"Cut one of em loose. My vote goes to the youngin."        

"Really don't need to be reminded of that at the moment, thanks."    

"Look man... you know I've normally got your back, just... not this time. Jess is awesome. You're in the wrong here. I've got zero sympathy for this. Sorry bro." He shrugs before strolling back into the living room.    

I'm not asking for sympathy. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. I know I'm wrong. I just... I need advice and telling me to cut one of them loose isn't the advice I was looking for.    

Before she showed up, I was so certain it'd be a piece of cake to blow Abby off, but I was dead wrong. I should have known that going in, since it wasn't exactly easy to do the first time around.     

There just... there's gotta be a way to fix this.     

I trudge back into the living room and sigh helplessly at the sight of the three of them, all in different chairs, looking everywhere but at each other.     

This has to be some sort of karma coming back to bite me in the ass, that's the only explanation.    

"So... how about them Titans?"    

Three sets of eyes turn to stare at me in horror and I roll my eyes.     

This just went from bad to worse.

 

 


Incomplete
katethegreat is the author of 28 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked Film also liked 468 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story