Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to everyone for reading and leaving feedback! I'm glad you're reading! <3

 

         What is it with Justin and his issue with time? I swear I've been pacing around this damn kitchen for the past twenty minutes. He knows damn well that JJ has to be home by three every single Sunday because he has to be at the soccer field by 3:30 for his 4:00 game. He's always so damn late picking JJ up and then he thinks he should get more time with him so he doesn't drop him off so he gets the full time down to the minute with him. I hate when Justin is so late, he used to be able to keep a schedule. Now it's like he does whatever he wants to do because the world revolves around him. I always get scared something happened and the car crashed somewhere.

         My cell phone rang and I ran across the kitchen to get it, "Hello?"

         "Hey, Ken don't kill me."

         "What happened?" I screamed, "Is he ok? What happened?"

         "He's fine, relax. I'm running a little late."

         "Yeah, obviously." Why would he start off like that? To give me a heart attack. I can hear my heart beating in my chest.  "Are you sure he's ok?"

         "Yeah, he fine. Sorry I just, we lost track of time. We were swimming. I didn't have a clock."     

         "OK, but he's going to be late to his game now."

         "I'll take him right to the field."

         "That'd be great, except I have his uniform and cleats here." Justin never thinks things through. He always thinks that everyone should rearrange their plans to suit his schedule, whether he wants to change his days with JJ because he has a party to go to or he misses JJ's birthday party because he has a last minute interview.

         Justin took a deep breath, "Come on Ken, give me a break. We were swimming. You can't meet us there with the uniform?"

         "Alright, where are you?"

         "We're just leaving. We'll see you at the field, thanks Ken." Justin hung up the phone before I could say anything else. I'm meeting them at the field because I don't want JJ to miss his game. It's definitely not for Justin. I don't know how I'm supposed to get the point across because I always end up giving in.  I grabbed JJ's uniform and placed an extra bottle of water in the cooler before fixing my hair on the way out. Sometimes Justin is just so irresponsible. For his whole life he's had someone telling him exactly what to do and when to do it that when he's on his own he's completely clueless that other people have shit to do too.

         I pulled into the parking lot at the field ten minutes later, waiting patiently for Justin and JJ to get there. His black BMW pulled into the spot next to me a minute later. I jumped out of the car and helped JJ out of the back seat, and helped him get changed. "How are you doing hunny? I missed you. Did you have fun?"

         "Yeah, we went swimming and Daddy said next time we can go camping, in a real tent and everything!"

         "Wow, that's pretty cool isn't it?" I smiled as I finished changing him into his uniform. I miss him so much when he's gone. Those three days always seem like three months. "Alright sweetie, go ahead out there, you're late."

         "Are you gonna stay and watch me Daddy?"

         "Yeah, of course man, I'll be there."

         I admit I was a little surprised that Justin was able to take time out of his schedule to actually watch our son play soccer. I can't remember the last time he went to a game, or if he ever even has. "I have an extra chair if you need one," I said quietly as I grabbed the cooler from the backseat.

         "Yeah, thanks I'll get them," he opened the trunk and grabbed both chairs, "So this is an exciting game huh?"

 

 

         Ken smiled as we walked to the field, "Yeah, it's actually quite humorous. They're adorable. But I'm warning you now; number 14 tries to steal the ball from everyone, including his own teammates. So don't get upset if he steals it from JJ."

         "Alright, I'll try not to jump up and push the kid away," I laughed as I put the chairs out, "Is he any good?"

         "Of course, he's the best on the team," she smiled. It's weird to see her smile so much; I haven't seen that smile in a long time.  I know damn well that her opinion has to be a little one-sided. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid more than life but I know there was no possible way he's the best on the team. We were just playing catch yesterday and he threw the ball backwards. "How was he for you?"

         "Good," I nodded my head, "He's always good."

         "Yeah, we got lucky. Thanks for bringing the chair out," she said before sitting down in the lawn chair.

         I think this is the first time I've ever been to one of JJ's games. I'm sure Ken is a little surprised that I'm staying but it's not like I have anywhere else to be. It's not that I never wanted to go to his games, of course I want to see my kid play, but I've had a lot to do. I know she thinks I make excuses but she knows how much I work. 

         "So, how have you been Ken?" Justin looked over at my wife... ex-wife. I'm still having a hard time grasping that. I do miss her; I'll admit it... at least to myself. I still get worried about her. We've had a tough year.

         "Fine," she answered softly.

         "Fine? That's it?" Kendall nodded her head, "How's your sister?"

         "She's good. We went out Thursday."

         "Oh yeah? Where'd you guys go?"

         Kendall looked at me carefully before she responded. "We just got a drink...at... Duffy's" she finished softly.

         I cleared my throat and looked at the ground, unable to look at her when even the name of the bar was mentioned.  We have too many memories at Duffy's, that's our place. I don't know why the fuck she'd want to go back there without me. "You went to Duffy's?" I looked at her and asked the question. Shit, that sounded sad, I wish I could hide the damn sadness in my voice.

         She nodded her head while she bit at her bottom lip, her eyes filling with water but she did not cry.

 

 

 

 

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

         It was an abnormally cold night outside Santa Monica, California when I found myself playing pool with my buddy Trace at a quiet bar called Duffy's. I was sick of the whole "Hollywood Scene" and was surprised to find a quiet bar where no one even gave me a second look. The thing that put the bar over the top was Kendall. I saw her there the first night I went and even though it took me a month to gain the courage to actually talk to her, she was the real reason I came back every week.

         There was a light around Kendall from that first night. She was always surrounded by a group of people laughing and having a good time. I knew she wasn't the kind of girl that would be impressed with my name or my resume. I knew I'd have to win her over.

         I sat down at a high top waiting for my next turn in pool or more importantly watching Kendall closely. I couldn't take my eyes off her.

         "Dude, just go talk to her," Trace said before sitting down next to me.

         I shook my head as I took a sip from my beer, "I can't just go talk to her. There are twenty people around her."

         "And?"

         I stood up and made my way to the pool table, "And... what? I'm supposed to just go up to her while she's talking?"

         Trace laughed and ran his hands through his hair. "What is this your first time picking up a girl? You go up to her, ask her if she's tired because she's been running through your mind for the last FUCKING month. Just go, I'm so sick of hearing about this girl when you don't even know her name. She's getting a drink, go get a fucking drink."

         I took a deep breath before nervously walking towards the bar. I didn't know what it was about her that made me so nervous, I've never been scared to go and talk to a girl before. But there was something different about this girl. I stood right next to Kendall at the bar for a minute as I tried to figure out what to say.

          "Doesn't that guy over there look like Ed Asner? Not now but old school, a young Ed Asner."  I couldn't believe the words that had left my mouth. Did I really mention Ed Asner in a pickup line directed at the girl I've literally been unable to get out of my mind for the past month?

         She looked over at me with pure confusion and then looked away, "Where?"

         I couldn't hide the smile, I was so happy I got a response and she was actually talking to me. "Over there, see him? At the table with the guy that looks like Big Pun."

         She laughed, "It does look like him.  I love Ed Asner, The Animal is like my favorite movie ever."

         "Really? The Animal is your favorite movie?"

         "I know, embarrassing right?" she laughed and I joined in, immediately understanding the reason why there was always a crowd of people around her.  "It's funny."

         "I've never seen it." 

         "Then don't knock it."

         "I won't," I held up my hands in defeat, "Where in Tennessee are you from?"

         She gave me that confused look again, "How do you know I'm from Tennessee?"

         "The accent, it's pretty obvious."

         "No way, I lost it a lot." Kendall said as if she was proving it to herself.

         "It's still there, I can pick it out. I'm from Millington."

         "Oh my gosh, you are.  When you said Millington it came out," she laughed, "I'm from Arlington."

         "Are-lyn-tiiin?" I mimicked the way she said it, which also happens to be the way everyone in Arlington says it.

         She laughed, "I don't say that,"

         "You definitely said that." I smiled trying to think of something else to say as the drink came, "I got it."

         "Oh, you don't have to. Thank you." She grabbed her drink and offered a sweet smile. It was at that moment that I knew I was going to fall for her. I had a mini panic attack wondering how I'd get through my life if she were to just walk away. I couldn't let her go.

         "No problem, how long have you been out here for?"

         "Three years, well this is my fourth."

         "Are you in school?" she nodded her head, "UCLA?"

         "Uh no, don't assume. USC."

         "Sorry," I chuckled "That's your rival huh? You're my rival Miss Are-lyn-tiiin. We shouldn't be talking."

         "I know, but I'm just excited there's someone else around here from Shelby. Do you go home a lot?"

         I shrugged, "A couple times a year, not that much. Do you get homesick?"

         "Sometimes. You have no idea how much I miss Corky's BBQ. It's unbelievable. I go home and that's the first stop I make. Seriously, I go there before I go to visit my Granny and Gramps. How sad is that?" Kendall finished with a laugh as she took a sip of her Tequila Sunrise.

         "Nah," I laughed, "That's nothing. I stop by at Barb-A-Rosa's and get me a big plate of pulled pork AND an order of ribs and a big ‘ol glass of sweet tea and eat it all on the drive to my house."

         Kendall laughed as she placed a hand on my arm, "I love Barb-A-Rosa's! They have the best sweet tea I've ever had. That's such a good idea to go there and just eat it on the way home. Corky's you have to actually sit down and shit."

         I nodded my head with a smile, "I've been doing this a long time, I got it down to a science."

         "That's so awesome. I'm so glad I met you and you're from back home. Nobody out here understands my need for BBQ. My roommate brought me to Smoky Bones the other day and she seriously tried to pass that shit off as good BBQ."

         "Nah. There's actually a place up in Mission Hills that's not half bad," I answered quietly, trying to think of a way to ensure I'd see her again. In any other situation I'd just ask her out or at least get her number but for some reason Kendall made me far too nervous to just come out and ask. I needed time to ease into it.

         "Kendall you're up, let's go." I know I threw my head down when one of her friends called over.  I wished the kid would see she was busy and move on with his life but he didn't.

         "Looks like I have to go," she smiled. I wished she would just tell the kid to go fuck himself so she could stay and talk to me. "It was nice meeting you, thanks for the drink."

          "What's your name?"

         "Oh sorry, Kendall" she smiled holding out her hand.

         "Justin." I grabbed onto her hand and felt an instant spark. I've never felt something like that from the first touch before, and I never have since.

         "Well thanks Justin, I'll see you later."

         I grabbed my beer and walked back to my buddies feeling defeated. I thought we seemed to get along well and I obviously felt the spark from the beginning but she did leave after a two-minute conversation to go back to her friends and play pool. But they did have a lot in common, and the fact that she's from Arlington seemed to put it over the edge. I knew I'd still be coming back next week and I'd find a way to take her to Mission Hills for some BBQ.

         "Is she perfect?" Trace asked with a chuckle when I went back to the table.

         "She's from Arlington."

         I couldn't believe that I actually let Kendall leave that night without even getting her number. The next week I spent thinking about Kendall and cursing myself for letting her leave, afraid I'd never see her again. That Friday, I found himself sitting at the bar alone waiting for her to come in. I let out a sigh of relief when she walked in with her usual crew and watched her. It was hard for me to imagine ever having a chance with her. I wondered what it was about this girl that made me feel like a nerd in middle school going after the head cheerleader. I'm Justin Timberlake, world famous musician, not an awkward nerd. Why was this girl making me feel like one?

         I turned my back to the bar and took another sip of my beer trying to figure out a way to pump myself up enough to just go over to her and start talking. It wouldn't be that hard; I've done it a million times to more intimidating people. But the truth is for some reason she was way more intimidating to me than any celebrity I've ever met.

         "He's not here tonight."

         I looked to the right and saw Kendall sitting down next to me. "Who?"

         "Ed Asner, he's here every week. I'm kind of worried, " she answered with a smile.

         "Nah, he's probably just at a premier or something."

         She laughed, "I'm sorry I left last week. I mean, you bought me a drink and I left and didn't even say thank you."

         "You did say thank you."

         She looked at me for a second before asking, "I did?"

         "Yeah, many times," I laughed, "It's cool." I felt like she was sitting there talking to him because she felt bad and I didn't need a charity friend.

         "Well thanks again."

         "Your welcome, again."

         "So... do you come here a lot?"

         "Yeah," I nodded my head, realizing for the first time that the way I was acting wasn't exactly going to ensure a date with her. "It's nice and quiet, I like it here."

         "Nice and quiet, just don't use the bathrooms," she laughed, "So you have to tell me about this BBQ place in Mission Hills."

         "I'll take you there sometime, it's pretty good."

         Kendall smiled and played with the straw in her drink, "OK but you have to seriously do it and not just say that because I really need to go."

         I laughed, "You need to go huh?"

         She nodded her head, "You have no idea."

         "Well let's do it then, let's make plans. When are you free?"

         "Umm..." Kendall bit at her bottom lip as she thought of what to say. She was playing hard to get, although I later found out she didn't have plans all weekend but didn't want to seem too eager. She told me years later that she couldn't get me out of her mind that whole week and she was worried that I didn't chase after her when she left me to go play pool. O didn't believe her then and I sure as hell don't believe her now. I've always been more into her than she was into me.

         "Do you need to get out your schedule?" I asked with a chuckle.

         "No," Kendall giggled, "I could do it tomorrow or... next week."

         "Tomorrow works for me. Let me get your number."

         We spent the rest of the night together at the bar and then the next day in Mission Hills. In fact, from that point on we spent just about every moment possible with each other.

        

 

~*~*~*~

 

         JJ came running into my arms after the game was over. I was quite surprised he came to me first. He is a definite Mama's boy, just like I am. "Did you see me Daddy? I almost got it in the basket!"

         It worries me a little that he still thinks the net is called a basket, especially since he's been playing for a whole season. I guess it's safe to say my dreams of my son being a professional athlete are shot to shit. "Yeah man, I saw you. Good job," we'll pretend that he almost got the ball in the right net, instead of his own net, which is what he really did.

         "You were amazing, good job sweetie!" Kendall said as he ran into her arms. She's never been much of a sports fan either, so it wouldn't surprise me if she thought he almost got a goal too. She has always been a good cheerleader though; I'll give her that. Any time I had a show or I was up for an award she was always right there cheering like I won the lottery. She's like that with JJ too, not that I'm surprised. It's just good to see her smiling again.  

         "So what's the usual post game celebration? How about some pizza?" I saw JJ's face light up but then made the mistake of looking at Ken, she doesn't look as excited.

         "Yeah! Can we Mommy? I'm starving!"

         "I don't think that's such a good idea Justin," she answered. I never knew pizza could be a bad idea.

         "It's just pizza."

         "Yeah Mommy, it's just pizza," JJ repeated. It seems that any time he repeats what I say is when we get in trouble. I don't understand why it's such a bad idea to go get some pizza together. We are still a family; sure maybe we're not together but we were having a good day. We're still civil and for fucks sake we have a son. He should be able to go to dinner with both his parents once in a year.

         "I know but I already have some chicken thawing out and it won't be good if we don't eat it tonight."

         Sure, that's the problem. We can't let a little chicken go to waste. I know that the chicken won't go bad, not even to mention how I doubt the world would stop if she did let the chicken go bad.

         "It's fine," I answered as I picked up JJ in my arms. I'm not going to beg her to get a damn pizza. She has her moments too. I know she tries to turn everything on me but she has her moments too. "I'll see you on Thursday, alright buddy?"

         "Alright buddy!" he giggled, damn I love this kid so much. I hate having to let him go. I really wish there were an easier way. "I miss you Daddy. I wish you could come home with us."

         My gaze fell to Kendall automatically. I didn't mean to, it was just a reaction. It's not like I purposely looked at her because she's the one that won't let me come home. It's so far beyond that now. The divorce is final. It's just not going to happen.

         "Alright," Ken answered as I placed JJ down and grabbed onto the chairs and coolers, "It's time to go. You'll see your daddy before you know it."

         "Yeah," I agreed, "Thursday is coming soon."

         "Maybe if he's not too busy he'll even be able to come to your game again next week."

         I don't know if that was a dig or not. Usually she says I'm too busy to spend time with my son, even though we all know that's not true. But this time it's different, I don't think she meant it as a dig.

         "You should try," she continued after helping JJ in the car and closing the door, "It was nice having you there. I mean, it really means a lot to him."

         I nodded my head, "Yeah. I'll see you Thursday."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj love