I chew on my lip waiting for the front door to open.

  "Hey." I give Justin a shy smile. 

  "So now you want to talk?" He doesn't move.

  OK, so I knew this wasn't going to be easy. We haven't talked in a week, which normally isn't that weird but he's be at the label every day so passing him in the halls or seeing him across the lobby...yea, that's weird. 

  "Can I come in?" 

  "Why?" He raises his hand to the door, just above his head. "What could you possible have to say to me?"

  "Please Justin?"

  "Fine." He sighs and opens the door for me.

  "Thanks." I walk past him and towards the kitchen. "I made cookies earlier and thought you might want some."

  He looks at the plastic container I laid on the counter. "Thanks."

  I shuffle my feet. "So look, I'm really sorry about...well, about what happened. I acted like a total bitch and you didn't really deserve that."

  "You're right about that."

  I fight the urge to roll my eyes. I knew he'd find a way to blame this whole thing on me but he knew I was drunk and he knows I'm dating Ethan. But I need to be the bigger person.

  "I'm really, really sorry. There's no excuse for the way I acted."

  His eyes search mine for a minute. "Fine. Let's just forget about it."

  "Really?" I ask holding my breath.

  He shrugs. "Yea, it was a mistake. Besides, it's not like I was the picture of innocence." He grins at me, reaching up to rub the back of his neck. "I could have said no. It's not like you overpowered me."

  I feel my face flame up. God, I can only imagine what happened cause I still haven't got the slightest clue. 

  "So, cookies huh?" He reachs for the tupperware and lifting the lid. "You made these?"

  "Yea, I figured it might help with the whole begging for forgiveness thing."

  "It helps." He brings a cookie to his mouth and takes a bite. "Thanks."

  "I brought something else too." I reach into my bag. "You have to listen to this demo. This girl is amazing. I've never heard anything like her before."

  I walk to the living room and put the CD into the CD player. "I'm telling you, she will amaze you."

  He settles into the couch. "I'm waiting to be amazed then."

  I grin and hit play. I listened to this demo late last night and immediately fell in love with her voice. After listening to it three times, I seriously thought of driving over to Justin's house at midnight but figured that wouldn't go over so well.

  I stood there, stupid smile on my face and watched him for a reaction.

  Reading his face is hard. He's had years of practice in keeping it unreadable. But his eyes always gave him away. That was something he couldn't help no matter how hard he tried.

  I knew he was hooked the second she hit the chorus. His face remained motionless but his eyes lit up like a kid on Christmas day and I knew, I fucking knew it was a done deal.

  He opens his mouth to speak but I held up a finger as the song ends. "Wait, there's one more that I need you to hear."

  He nods. "So the this one is completely different that the first one but I'm telling you, she's got something." I press play again and watch him.

  The second song is harder, meaner. Sure, it's a guy-bashing song. Hell, the name of it is 'Nobody's Wife' but this is the song that sold me. Her name is Anouk and her voice is killer. The lyrics are amazing.

I'm sorry for the times I didn't come home

Left you lying in that bed alone

was flying in the sky when you needed my shoulder

you're like a stone hanging round my neck, see

cut it loose before it breaks my back, see

I've gotta say what I feel before I grow old

  The song ends and I watch him lean forward, hands on his knees.

  "Name?" He asks.

  "Anouk. She's from the Netherlands." 

  He nods. "Play it again."

  I break into a huge smile. "Sure."

  A hour later, we're still listening to the demo. Both with a beer in hand this time. For some reason, neither of us can stop it from repeating.

  "She's really great." He motions towards the CD player. 

  "Yea." I'm pretty pleased with myself right now. It's like, I don't know how to explain it. It's almost like finding this great secret and wanting to share it with everyone but in this industry, you want to keep it to yourself until you've got the artist signed. The last thing you want is a fight between two labels because the artists usually signs with the one that throws around the most money.

  Sucks that it happens but that's reality.

  "So Ethan'll be back soon." He says.

  I nod.

  "You going to tell him?"

  I shrug.

  I'm really clueless on how to handle this one. I mean, Ethan and I haven't really talked about what we are. How am I to know he's not hooking up with other girls on while on the road? I talk to him almost ever day and he doesn't say anything or make it seem like the was any reason not to trust him but still.

  "What are you guys anyways?" He asks bringing the beer bottle to his lips. "Are you like, exclusive?"

  I almost laugh at the word. "I don't know."

  He turns to me. "You don't know?"

  I shake my head. "We haven't really talked about it."

  "Oh."

  I look at him, slightly uncomfortable having this conversation with him. With everything that's happened between us, before and just recently, it just feels wrong.

  His eyes meet mine and there's this weird moment that passes between us. 

  The CD stops and I blink, snappng whatever was happening. He chuckles as I bring the beer bottle to my lips and take a long pull.

  "Not that it matters to me," He starts, standing up and walking towards the kitchen. "I don't think he's good enough for you."

  My jaw drops, slightly shocked and at a loss of words. I don't know how to respond to that. I just watch his back move around to the other side of the island. He reaches into the fridge and pulls another beer out.

  He turns to face me. I'm still looking at him, jaw slack. He twists the lid off the bottle and he looks over at me. 

  "You what?" I finally get out. What the hell does that mean, Ethan's not good enough for me? Justin's never seen us even interact together, apart from that first night. I cringe when I remember what a fool I made of myself.

  "I don't mean anything by it. It's just...how well do you really know him?" He shrugs. "Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. A lot. But you need someone who really understands you." He pauses, searching for what to say next. "Taylor, you're special. There...there aren't a lot of people like you."

  We both blush at his words. I'm completely in shock. 

  "Thanks." I grin.

  He rolls his eyes. "Don't let it go to your head."

  And we're back to normal.

Chapter End Notes:
so the demo cd, she's a real person & she's AWESOME!! that's her real name, anouk and the two songs i was picturing while writing is 'lost' and 'nobodys wife.' check them out!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers