Author's Chapter Notes:
Reviews are always appreciated!!!!

Chapter 1

What have I gotten myself into?

She had only been in the office for five minutes and was already doubting her decision to take this internship. She sat in the cushioned chair outside of Johnny Wright's office waiting for him to finish up with his meeting and was thinking about just giving up right there. She wasn’t cut out for this. Nope. She didn’t even know why she signed up to do it. Who would want her to follow them around for an entire summer? Her! A southern girl from Texas visiting California! Nope. She wasn’t gonna do it. She was gonna get up and walk out and kindly explain to Mr. Wright in a nice email that she was gonna have to decline his offer. Yep. That’s exactly what she was gonna do. Right? Right. She was gonna go…right…now. Wait, why weren’t her feet moving. This was her escape and she couldn’t even bring herself to move out the seat!

“Kamylle, Mr. Wright will see you now.” Her head shot up when Johnny's secretary addressed her.

“Alright, thank you.” Oh, now her feet worked! Where was all this action when she needed it a few minutes ago? All of a sudden Kamylle heard a door open and saw Johnny Wright escort a man out.

“I’ll be by to see you in the studio later Drake. Keep up the good work.”

“Yes sir,” Drake replied with a nod and grin. Kamylle rose when Johnny held his hand out for her.

“It’s so nice to finally meet you in person Ms. McCool.”

“Likewise,” she responded sweetly.

“Please, step into my office so we can discuss your duties this summer.”

Kamylle followed the older man in his office and sat down across the desk from him. She couldn’t help but gaze around at the numerous awards and certificates that adorned his office…that is until Johnny cleared his throat.

“Oh. I’m sorry. I was just amazed by…well everything.”

“Well thank you. But you’re gonna have to get used to things like this. You’re here at Jive Records, and you’re gonna see hundreds of these everyday,” he replied with a smile. Kamylle nodded.

“Now you came highly recommended by Mr. Carter. He said that he would’ve hired you on himself if he hadn’t already been maxed on interns. Says that he knows you personally.”

“Yes sir…” Johnny cut her off before she could continue.

“Please, call me ‘Johnny’. I know it may sound cliché, but we’re like a family here at Jive, so no formalities please.”

“Alright. Well Johnny, I knew Beyonce and her family growing up. Her mother used to do my family’s hair and we go to church together. I met Shawn through her and the rest is history.”

“Gotcha. Now I read in your resume that you’re currently a junior at the University of Texas. Is that right?”

“Yes. And I’m majoring in Criminal Justice with a double minor in Chemistry and Music.”

“Well with that major what made you want to be an intern here? Why not at a local crime lab?”

“Well there’s a saying, “been there, done that”. I’ve been interning at the Houston PD crime lab for the past 3 years and was ready for a break this summer. Honestly, music is my life. It may not be what I want to pursue as a career, but it’s a big part of my life and I wanted to do something in that field this summer,” Kamylle replied.

“Sounds good to me. Well since you’ve had experience in interning at both a crime lab and a law firm you know the basics. The only difference is that instead of following around a CSI or a lawyer you’ll be following around an artist. This may even include some traveling to New York or wherever if it’s in their schedule. Are you ok with that?”

“Yes sir,” she answered, nodding. Johnny extended his hand.

“Well welcome to Jive Records, Kamylle.” She reached and shook his hand.

“Thank you,” she said with a smile.

“Why don’t we go ahead and get you started?” he said, pulling out a thick manila folder and handing it to her.

“We have a new artist here, just signed him and he’s working on promoting his first single as we speak.” While he was speaking Kamylle took a peak inside the folder and immediately recognized the face.

“Drake Graham.” It was the guy in his office earlier. She’d recognize that beautiful smile anywhere…whoa! Where did that come from?

“You’re basically gonna be his mirror this summer. Wherever his schedule takes him, you’ll follow. Is that ok?”

“Yes sir. Wow, thank you so much,” she said, rising from her seat, “Thank you for this opportunity.”

“You deserve it. I’d be crazy to turn you down,” Johnny replied with a laugh and Kamylle returned the gesture.

“Well Drake’s down in Studio D working on some tracks with Timbaland, and you’re more than welcome to go in. They’re expecting you.”

“Ok. Thank you once again.”

“No problem,” Johnny replied, escorting her to the door. Kamylle sighed lightheartedly as she walked away from his office. She was wrong, this summer was gonna be ok. She’d be working with a new artist, oh! Speaking of which, she was gonna have to learn more about him. She opened the folder slightly, peeking in at Drake’s information sheet and as she did she ran smack dab into a chest, sending her and her papers to the floor.

“Oh! I am so sorry! Let me help you.”

“It’s ok, I think I got it,” Kamylle replied, picking up the scattered papers. She quickly stuffed them back into the folder before looking up and seeing the most captivating pair of blue eyes and smile staring back at her. He extended his hand to help her up.

“I’m so sorry,” she stammered, “I should’ve been watching where I was going.”

“It’s ok. It happens to the best of us. You must be new here? I don’t think I’ve seen you before.”

“Yeah, I’m the new intern,” Kamylle regretted the words as soon as the left her mouth. Great, now he thinks I’m some kind of dork.

“Well ‘new intern’, I’m Justin. Nice to meet you,” he said extending his hand once more, this time to shake hers.

“The pleasure’s all mine,” she replied sweetly, “And my name’s Kamylle.”

Believe me, the pleasure is DEFINITELY all mine!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story