Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry it took so long for me to update!!!! reviews are always welcome!!!

Chapter 2

Knock! Knock!

Kamylle eased the door open and peeked around it, immediately noticing two men sitting at a mixing board with another guy behind a glass wall at he mic.

“I’m sorry, am I interrupting?”

“No; not at all. Come in,” answered one of the guys as he rose and greeted her at the door.

“I’m Trey,” he said, extending one hand to shake hers and the other to close the door behind her.

“I’m Kamylle.”

You’re the intern?” Kamylle reeled back a little.

“Yeah, is that a bad thing?”

“No, I just didn’t put you as the type. You’re way cuter than any intern I’ve ever seen lil mama!” he replied with a laugh. Kamylle chuckled, both flattered and embarrassed. It wasn’t everyday that she was hit on so blatantly.

“Oh! Where are my manners?” Trey began once more, “That’s Chris, the mixer. And of course Drake’s rockin’ the mic in there,” he said pointing to the booth. A small smile crept across her face as she sat down on the couch behind her. Trey followed in her lead, plopping down next to her.

“So, have you ever been an intern before?”

“Yes, but not at a record label. I’ve interned at a law firm and a crime lab for my individual studies for school, but I wanted to do something different this year.”

“You’re still in school?”

“Yes; I’m a junior at the University of Texas.”

“Oh, what’s your major?” Trey asked, getting more comfortable on the couch.

“Criminal justice with a minor in music and chemistry. And before you ask, I plan on doing forensics for the DEA when I a graduate,” she finished with a slight laugh.

“How did you know…”

“They always do.”

“So what made you choose to do a music intern?” Kamylle looked up when she heard a new voice join their conversation.

“Music has always been a big part of my life. I wouldn’t be the person I am today had it not been for the music I grew up on. I didn’t want to pursue it as a career, but I wasn’t going to pass up this opportunity to work in it for a summer.”

“Gotcha. I’m Drake by the way. I think I saw you earlier at Johnny's office.”

“Yeah; you were leaving and I was going in. I’m Kamylle. Nice to meet you,” she said, standing and extending her hand to shake his.

“We don’t shake hands around here, we hug,” Drake said before pulling her in for an embrace. Trey rolled his eyes at his friend. Who did he think he was? We don’t shake hands around here. We don’t shake hands MY AZZ! He was just trying to flirt.

Wow, this guy gives amazing hugs. Kamylle couldn’t keep her mind from thinking about how good it felt in his arms. Whoa! Down cowgirl!

“Well I think we’re done for the day,” said Chris, the mixer, as he finished shutting down the equipment.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean for ya’ll to cut ya’lls day short because of me,” Kamylle quickly said. Drake smiled.

That smile is gonna be the death of me. Kamylle tried to erase the thought from her mind.

“No, don’t worry about it; we were just messin’ around with a remix for ‘Replacement Girl’. Just killing time before the interview I have in about an hour and a half. Are you gonna tag along?”

“Let’s just put it like this: I’m gonna be your sidekick for this entire summer. You’ll be sick of my face pretty soon,” she said jokingly.

“I doubt that’ll ever happen,” Drake replied with a bigger smile.

“I know, right?” Trey echoed. Kamylle playfully rolled her eyes at the two guys and waved at Chris as he exited the room, leaving the three of them by themselves.

“So what’s the gameplan until your interview?” Kamylle asked, breaking the silence.

“How about lunch?” Trey suggested, “I’m starving.”

“I could eat,” Drake agreed.

“Yeah, ditto what he said,” Kamylle said, pointing her thumb at Drake.

“What’s good around here?” she asked.

“Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles!” both men exclaimed at the same time. Kamylle just shook her head playfully and laughed.

“What? You don’t like Roscoe’s?” Trey asked, opening the door so they could leave.

“No, I do. There’s just this inside joke that…nevermind. It’s dumb, and you probably wouldn’t get it anyway. Priscilla and I have the weirdest sense of humor ever!”

“Who’s Priscilla?” Drake asked.

“My best friend. We’ve known each other for about 10 years and that girl is like my sister. She came here with me for the summer and is interning with the Lakers.”

“How did she manage to pull that?” Trey asked.

“The same way I managed to pull this job. Dedication, hard work, and it doesn’t hurt to know someone in the biz. It just so happens that the same guy helped us get our jobs.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, who?” Drake asked.

“Shawn Carter; I grew up with his girlfriend and he pulled some major strings to get my application to the top of the stack here at Jive and hers with the Lakers.”

“Damn, the saying really is true,” Drake replied.

“Which one?” Trey asked.

“It ain’t what you know…”

“It’s who you know,” Kamylle finished for him as she stepped in the passengers door that Drake held open.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story