Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
This story takes place between Chapter 31 and the Epilogue of "A Love Of Two Households".
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Banner By: Kenz @ create.dancing-with-shadows.com

The In-betweener

Jocelyn lay awake after Lance had fallen asleep that night. She couldn't sleep to save her life. They had had dinner with her mom that night and of course talk about them starting a family came up again. It had first come up when she, Allyson, and Dianna had gone to lunch some weeks ago. Her mom cleverly pointed out during dinner that night that Jocelyn wasn't getting any younger and she wanted grandbaby's to spoil. Lance had quickly changed the subject at dinner and had seemed to forget all about it as they got home and watched a movie before going to bed. Jocelyn finally closed her eyes trying her best to get some sleep. She slept for awhile but it didn't last long.

She groaned feeling herself wake up and tried to hide under the covers but it was no use. She finally poked her head out and sighed. ' This isn't going to work' she thought as she slid out of the bedroom, slipping on her robe and headed down the hall where Cocoa was sleeping at the beginning of the stairs. When Jocelyn stepped over her she lifted her head and Jocelyn petted her head softly.

"It's jus me" she whispered at Cocoa who sniffed her hand.

Jocelyn smiled and made her way down the stairs and she heard the jingle of Cocoa's dog tags behind her. Jocelyn made her way out back grabbing the throw that lay across the back of the couch as she went and sat down on the bench making herself swing back and forth in the darkness. Cocoa sat down beside her on the floor, and Jocelyn sighed and looked out at the woods.

"Oh Cocoa" Jocelyn replied messing with her wedding band on her finger, Cocoa looked up at her. "What should I do?" Cocoa laid her head on Jocelyn's lap and Jocelyn smiled and rubbed her head, rubbing that special spot behind her ears.

She stayed there for awhile rocking back and forth in the wind. She knew it was time to start a family, seriously, what was she waiting for? Lance wanted kids and she wanted to have kids with him. Then she heard the door creek open, and Cocoa lifted her head.

"It's me Cocoa" Lance quickly responded as he walked towards them.

Cocoa went back to her spot on the floor in front of the bench, and Lance made his way towards Jocelyn in his bed time attire of sweat pants and a plan white T-shirt. She sat up giving Lance room to sit behind her. He did so and laid Jocelyn against his chest and wrapped his arms around her. Jocelyn snuggled back against him feeling the warmth elevating from his body and smelling that familiar scent of 'Lance' that she loved so much.

"You okay?" he whispered, nuzzling his face in the back of her neck
She nodded "Jus thinking" she replied, she turned and looked up at him.
He smiled and kissed her lips lightly.
"Can I ask you something?" Lance asked, resting his chin on her shoulder.
"Hmm" Jocelyn replied
He smiled and kissed the back of her neck lightly, "Can we make a baby?" he whispered
Jocelyn's face broke out into a grin and she turned to look at him.
"You mean it?" she asked,
"Of course I mean it" he said

She squealed turning and straddled his thighs looking at him, and Lance wrapped his arms around her waist, holding her close. Jocelyn leaned forward and kissed his lips lightly.

"Are you sure?" she asked
He nodded "I've never been surer about anything" he replied "Except marrying you"

Jocelyn's smile brightened and she leaned into kiss him once more leaning against him. He hugged her close, kissing her back. They broke the kiss some minutes later and Jocelyn smiled watching him.

"Wanna start now?" he asked with a wink

She squealed and stood up quickly grabbing Lance's hand and bringing him to his feet. Cocoa got up as well and followed them back into the house, and to her bed at the bottom of the stairs. Lance chased Jocelyn through the kitchen catching her in the living room and tossing her onto the couch, lying on top of her. Jocelyn giggled as Lance landed on top of her straddling her legs. He leaned down pressing his lips to hers, melting into her. Jocelyn wrapped her arms around his neck, playing with the hair on the back of his neck. During the kiss Lance started to untie her robe and ran his hands up her abs under her shirt. Jocelyn groaned at the feel of Lance's hands on her skin and she moved her hands down his back lifting his shirt. They finally broke the kiss as Lance sat up and took his shirt off, as she lifted herself off the couch getting her robe off.

"Cocoa's not gonna freak out is she?" Jocelyn asked
Lance laughed; Cocoa did have a tendency to freak out when Lance laid on top of her, whether it was playful wrestling or while they lay together in bed.
"I don't think so" he replied "You are kinda loud"
"What?!?" Jocelyn asked in pure shock and hit his shoulder
"Ow" Lance laughed "C'mer you"
He pulled her up and kissed her passionately, and moved them so she was on top of him as he lay under her. They continued their make out session getting the rest of each other's clothes off. As Lance laid over her, she felt baby kisses on her face as they caught their breath.
"Joc...what about protection" he questioned "I mean it's not gonna work if-"
Jocelyn cut him off "I stopped...2 weeks ago when my mom and Aly first mentioned it"
Lance grinned and leaned down to kiss her passionately. The night went on with passionate love and baby making.

-*-

The sun rose slowly over the tree tops as Lance and Jocelyn lay snuggled together on the couch under a blanket. Jocelyn lay on top of Lance, her face snuggled into his chest, while Lance hugged her close. Lance eyes began to open, when he heard the sound of Cocoa walking around the house. He yawned, his eyes opening slowly and saw the sun rising out the windows. He was about to sit up when he felt weight on his chest. He looked down and saw Jocelyn and smiled the memories of the night before flowing through his mind. He leaned over and looked at the time on the clock that was on the mantel over the fire place, it was time to get up, he had work. He rubbed Jocelyn's back lightly.

"Joc" he whispered, kissing her head "Wake up"
She groaned, hugging him close.
He laughed "C'mon baby, I gotta go to work" he said "And take a shower"
"Hmm" Jocelyn said, her eyes opening slowly.
She looked at him, squinting, and Lance laughed and kissed her forehead.
"Can I join you?" she asked
He laughed "Ready, again?" he asked
She nodded. She got up, grabbing the blanket and wrapped it around herself quickly leaving Lance buck naked on the couch.
"You better run!" Lance replied and got up rushing up the stairs after her.

Jocelyn squealed and ran into the master bedroom and into the bathroom that was connected quickly turning on the shower. Lance followed her, closing the door of the bedroom on the way into the room. Jocelyn stood behind the bathroom door waiting for Lance to make his way into the bathroom. When he didn't, she stuck her head out and didn't see anything. So she made her way out, tip toeing into the bedroom. As she looked around, Lance made his way from the closet and catching her in his arms tossing them onto the bed. Jocelyn screamed as she went down, and laughed when Lance landed on top of her.

"You have to shower!" Jocelyn screamed trying to get him off of her
Lance laughed "I'll live" he replied, and leaned down to kiss her once more.

They got up and made their way into the bathroom and into the shower, where they had a morning full of baby making before Lance headed off to work, totally exhausted.

-*-

Within the month Jocelyn became pregnant. The town was ecstatic; another baby was going to be in the family. The pregnancy had gone smoothly for the most part, except for of course the morning sickness, cramping, straining back and swollen feet. Jocelyn was now nearing he end of her pregnancy. She had her baby shower the weekend before; Allyson had set up a complete boy themed one with blue everywhere and so many toy trucks the kid would be spoiled to the core. Jocelyn, Lance, Justin, and Allyson had worked out a complete plan if Jocelyn's water broke while Lance was working.

She was now sitting on the swinging bench in the backyard reading a magazine. She hadn't been feeling her best and had just settled down to rest with a magazine. Cocoa came onto the back porch and started to nudge her, and Jocelyn patted her head.

"What Cocoa?" Jocelyn asked
Cocoa barked and licked her hand, and Jocelyn laughed.
"Hungry huh?" she asked, Cocoa's tail wagged "Okay"

She slowly got up and groaned. Her back felt like it was going to snap. Cocoa rushed into the house seeing that Jocelyn was on her way. Jocelyn walked into the house, her hand on her stomach. She walked to the pantry and took a can of dog food, but when she reached up, she felt a streak of pain go threw her lower belly. She groaned and rubbed her lower stomach. She thought she was dreaming when she felt the trail of water run down her leg.
"Oh no" she replied and looked down, seeing the water spot.
She took a deep breath, "Okay, okay, calm down, what was the plan?" she said to herself and grabbed the phone, and leaned against the counter. She dialed the first number she could think of. It rang and rang when finally someone picked up.

"Corner store, this is Justin"
"Justin!" Jocelyn whimpered
"Jocelyn, is that you?" he asked
"Justin, my water broke...I don't know what to do"
"Take a break Jocelyn...you didn't follow the plan, so here's what we're gonna do. I'll call Allyson okay, she'll come pick you up and go to the doctors"
"And Lance?"
"I'll head there right now, and we'll meet you there"
"Okay" she sniffled "I'm sorry, I'm jus scared"
"It's alright, jus relax, Ally's on her way"
"Okay, thank you"

They hung up. Jocelyn had yet to have a contraction. So she quickly fed Cocoa, throwing the can away. Then she walked into the living room when she felt the crampy feeling coming. She groaned and sat down on the couch quickly, trying to remember the breathing exercises that she had learned from the Lamaze classes that she took with Lance.

"Oww...geez Ally hurry" she whimpered, lying back closing her eyes.

-*-

After hanging up the phone, Justin quickly dialed Allyson's phone number. She picked up after 2 rings.

"Hello?"
"Hey Al, its Justin"
"Hey buddy, what's up?"
"Jocelyn's water broke"
"Why didn't she call me?"
"I think she just got frazzled, she called me, I told her I would call you" he replied "We'll go as planned. Head over and pick her up, and I'll go get Lance"
"Okay, see you at the hospital"
"Bye"

-*-

Allyson then got Jenee into the car, along with her diaper bag and sped down to the Bass residence. She knew that she was terrified when she went into labor with Jenee and she had Joey there with her. She can only imagine what Jocelyn could be going through right now, and she was alone. She reached the house in record time, and got Jocelyn into the car whose contractions were about 13 minutes apart now. Allyson got her over night bag, locked the door to the house, and helped Jocelyn into the car and they sped off to the hospital.

~*~

Justin immediately told Randy that he had to go, and he got into his truck and took off towards the school where Lance was teaching. He made it there in record time, and rushed inside towards Lance's classroom. He reached it quickly, and caught his breath before pushing the door open. The whole class turned at the sound, and Lance looked up from his desk, he knew by Justin's expression what was going on.

"Sorry" Justin said quickly, then looked at Lance "We gotta go"
Lance knew exactly what the meant and he quickly stuffed his things into his bag and got up.
"Please sit still guys, I'll get a sub as soon as I can" he replied "Please"
Justin and Lance rushed out of the room, and made their way down the hall way.
"Go get the car, I have to go to the office" Lance replied as he turned down the opposite hallway as Justin.

Justin nodded and rushed down the other hall, towards the open doors. He got into the car and started it up, soon Lance came running out and jumped into the car and they headed off towards the hospital.

-*-

They reached the hospital some minutes later, Justin parked quickly and they rushed inside, getting the room number and rushing down the hall towards it. They saw Ally ahead pacing the hall way, while Jenee sat in a chair kicking her legs as she entertained herself with some books.

"Ally!" Lance called down the hall
Allyson looked down the hall and saw both Lance and Justin making their way towards her, immediately sighing in relief.
They reached her and she hugged them both.
She pointed towards the door across from her "She's in there, I couldn't be with her since I had Jenee" she said

Lance immediately walked into the room; Jocelyn was lying in the bed, breathing deeply. She looked up and sighed in relief, tears starting to fall from her eyes. She had been an emotional wreck these past couple of months. The doctor said it was hormones, which was one thing Lance was looking forward to changing when this whole thing was done.

"Oh Lance..." she whimpered
Lance smiled and walked towards her. He hugged her close, whipping her face with his fingers lightly.
"You're okay" he said, and sat down next to her.
"Sorry I messed up the calls" she said
He laughed "It's okay" he said "You're here, and you're fine"

She sniffled. Justin had told him about the whole thing on the drive over. He knew she was extremely nervous about the delivery, which was normal, it was her first time. Allyson had tried to comfort her the past couple of months as best as she could. It worked sometimes, but she would end up watching "A Baby Story" on TLC and something would happen and she would be a mess all over again. Lance hugged her close, and she laid her head on his shoulder. Lance rubbed her back, and kissed her forehead.

"We're gonna be parents soon" Lance said rocking her back and forth
She smiled "I know" she said "I can't wait"
"How are the contractions?" he asked
"About 10 minutes apart" she said, then groaned and grabbed his hand.
Lance held onto her and rubbed her back as she leaned forward "Jus breath through it" he whispered.
Jocelyn relaxed a few minutes later, and leaned back against the pillow with a sigh.
"How much longer?" she asked
Lance smiled "I don't know yet, has the doctor been in to see you?" he asked
She nodded, "Did you call my parents?" she asked
Lance nodded "On the way over, they're on their way" he replied, and kissed her forehead once again.

Lance sat with her, trying his best to keep her comfortable and to keep her mind off the pain. Things were going smoothly so far, and Jocelyn was getting into the flow of things. After being in labor for 7 hours, Jocelyn was wheeled into delivery with Lance dressed in scrubs ready to welcome a new life into the world.

-*­-

Lance walked out of the delivery room, with his baby wrapped in a blue blanket and headed down the hall way towards the waiting room where everyone was: Justin, Jack, Allyson, Joey, Jenee, and of course Dianna and Jeff. They were all sitting in the waiting room talking and laughing like usual when Lance walked into the room. Dianna was the first to notice him, and she immediately covered her mouth with her hand, and Lance could see the tears starting to fall from her eyes. Lance smiled, knowing exactly where Jocelyn got her emotional side from. Jeff immediately noticed Dianna's expression and he turned and saw Lance and he grinned. Soon everyone had turned to Lance and stayed quiet.

Lance smiled brightly, "Everyone, this is Timothy Joseph Bass" he said,

The women awed as everyone started to gather around Lance. Lance passed Tim over to his grandma first, who hugged him close to her chest rubbing at his chubby cheeks. Lance stood back and watched as everyone ohhed and awed over his son, his first child. Joey went over and stood next to Lance, and patted his back.

"Congrats Bro" He replied
Lance smiled "Thanks" he replied,
Joey smiled, "Here I got this for you on the way over" he said, and handed over a small bottle of tequila.
Lance took it from him laughing, and stuck it in his pocket. "Thanks" he replied

It was a reminder. Whenever something big happened to them in high school (winning championship games, the big 1-8 birthdays, graduation), they went out and got freakin drunk. It was just their immature minds coming out. So as an on going joke, when something like this happened they would pass along a small bottle of liquor. After Dianna held Tim, he was passed on to Allyson, and so forth.

"And thanks for naming him after me" Joey added
Lance grinned "Well, it only makes sense, you are his god father" he replied, "That is if you want to be"
Joey looked at him stunned for a minute, "Seriously?" he asked
Lance nodded "Of course, we couldn't think of anyone better" he said
Joey laughed, and opened his arms "Alright, fine, this is what you want right?" he asked "A hug?"

Lance laughed as Joey brought him into a hug. Lance had to admit Joey definitely got softer since him and Allyson had Jenee. He assumed that happened, when men become fathers their whole attitude changes. They not only have their wife to look after but they have their child, someone that they helped create. They broke he hug quickly, laughing when Joey made his way into the crowd.

"Okay, it's my turn to hold my god son!" he announced
Jack has slowly passed Timmy over to Joey, and Lance watched smiling. Allyson made her way towards him, and he smiled seeing her face. These women were driving him crazy with their emotions. She hugged him tightly, and he hugged her back rubbing her back and laughing.
"Is she okay?" she asked
He nodded "Yeah, she's tired" he replied "I guess I would be too if I pushed that outta me"

Allyson laughed, and they broke the hug. A couple minutes later Tim started to get fussy so Lance decided it was time to go back and see Jocelyn. Everyone else was going to head home; there would be the tradition get together in a couple of days. Lance walked into the room quietly, as Jocelyn lay against the pillows in the bed, her eyes closed. He smiled and closed the door softly, but not soft enough. Jocelyn's eyes popped open and she looked at him, immediately a smile appearing to her face.

"Hey" she said, her voice scruffy from sleep
He smiled, and walked more into the room.
"Hi" he said, "Someone was getting fussy with the family"
Jocelyn smiled and held out her arms, and Lance immediately passed Tim over. Tim immediately huddled against her chest, his eyes closing. Lance sat down on a chair that was next to the bed.
"He's really here isn't he?" Jocelyn asked
Lance watched her, then looked at his son "Yeah" he said

This was it; Jocelyn's life had become complete. She had a wonderful husband, great family and friends, even a still growing career and now a baby to call her own. What more could a girl ask for?

-*-The End-*-
Chapter End Notes:
*&*Traci*&*

Comments? Questions? e-mail me at Spacey1141@hotmail.com

I have a few other short stories planned for this, so let me know what you think if you enjoy it or not.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story