Author's Chapter Notes:
This was written with JC in mind. It does not say specifically so feel free to use whomever. :]
I'm ten miles from town
And I just broke down,
Spittin' out smoke on the side of the road.
I'm out here alone,
Just trying to get home
To tell I was wrong but you already know.
Believe me I won't stop at nothin'
To see you so I started runnin.

He couldn't believe it. He just could not believe it. His mind was going crazy. The fight they had had a few hours ago was replaying in his mind. They didn't mean the things they said. He knew it. He knew she knew it. In the heat of the moment he had grabbed his keys and took off. Where he was going, he didn't know. All he knew was he had to get away.

Now here he was, realizing what a mistake he had made, leaning against his car as smoke rose out of the engine. He had turned around about two hours ago to try to save anything they had left together before she walked away for good. But now what was he to do? His phone was dead and he hadn't seen anybody on this lonely road for miles. He couldn't sit here and blindly watch his relationship crumble into the last bits it would be.

It was hot and the perspiration was dripping from his hairline and running down the side of his face. There were no trees or any source of shade to block the suns hot rays. He moved his gaze from the pavement beneath his feet to the meadow across from him. He began biting his lip in thought. The light bulb went off in his head. He looked down the road left then right. He'd passed a sign about a football field length away. Ten miles. It'd be a stretch, but it was the only way.

He locked his car and shoved his keys into his pocket. He started to walk away from his vehicle. He knew it was dangerous. The temperature was scorching and he had no water, but he needed to get home. He needed her to know he made a mistake, even though he was sure she knew. He felt it in his heart that she was there waiting for him, possibly trying to reach him. He needed to get to her. Now.

All that I'm after is a life full of laughter.
As long as I'm laughin' with you.
And I think that all that still matters is love ever after
After the life we've been through
‘Cause I know there's no life after you.

He didn't how long he'd been going or how far he'd come. All he knew was that he couldn't breathe. The air was too thick to take into his lungs. His throat burned from lack of water. His shirt, soaked with sweat, was now dark gray. He whipped it over his head and tucked it in his back pocket. Maybe if it'd dry soon he could wipe off his face with it.
He looked over his shoulder. He could not longer see his car and suddenly felt alone. He stooped over and took a few deep breaths. When he stood up his vision grew blurry and he felt dizzy. With nothing to grab on to, he fell to the ground with a thud and a cough. Well he certainly felt better laying here. His eyes slid closed and his mind began to wander.

The reason he was here now was because he was an idiot. What was he thinking saying they couldn't work, that they weren't meant to be. Stupid. That's what it all was. He should've just talked it out with her, but no. He had to let his temper control the situation and spit nasty things at her. She didn't deserve this. He would just lay here now and die. No one would ever drive by, and if they did it'd be too late. He would lay there and not move. He couldn't, his body was frozen there. His muscles not moving from lack of water and proper oxygen. He could barely function. He knew he was slipping in and out of consciousness. He no longer knew if the water on his face was sweat or tears.

The last time we talked,
The night that I walked,
Burns like an iron in the back of my mind.
I must've been high,
To say you and I,
Weren't meant to be and just wasting our time.
Oh why did I ever doubt you?
You know I would die here without you.

He heard a noise in the distance. It sounded like a car, but he knew it was just his imagination so he didn't bother to lift his head. His mind kept slipping into the past. All the good times he had with her. That's when it hit him. She was the only person he had ever truly loved, and now he was losing her over a stupid fight.

He heard footsteps and voices now. The warm hand touched him making his eyes fly open only to close shut again from exhaustion. The voice was telling him to hang on and help was on the way. Maybe there was hope for him after all. He needed to get back to her. Just as her name escaped his lips his mind went black.

You and I,
Right or wrong,
There's no other one
After this time we spent alone.
It's hard to believe that a man with sight could be so blind.
Thinking ‘bout the better times.
Must've been out of my mind
So I'm runnin' back to tell you
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter.
Without you God knows what I'd do, yeah.

All that I'm after is a life full of laughter.
As long as I'm laughin' with you.
And I think that all that still matters is love ever after
After the life we've been through, yeah.
No there's no life after you.

He heard beeping noises. How long has it been? Days? Weeks? Months? Hours? Minutes? He didn't know. He felt tired though, that's for sure. And he remembered everything just fine.

At the sound of someone walking into his room he tried to open his eyes. He heard a sniffle and what sounded like a whimper. Was somebody crying? Over him? Then it occurred to him that it didn't matter who it was. He needed to get a hold of her. Somebody needed to let her know he loved her and where he was and that he was okay. Maybe this person could help. He was about to make a movement of some sort when the voice stopped him.

"I'm so sorry, baby."

It was her! And she was here. But she was crying. He hated it when she cried. It made him feel like he had failed her somehow. This time, though, he had. It was his fault she was upset. He loved her. His life revolved around her. Whenever they weren't together, he was distracted with the thought of her. When they were together, he could only watch her and think about how lucky he was that she had picked him out of every possible person in the world. That made him feel good. He wanted that feeling all the time. Every day for the rest of his life. Now all he had to do was tell her.

"Marry me?" He managed to get that out and open his eyes to see her reaction. She was shocked, then confused, then happy. Her eyes lit up and a big, watery smile spread across her face. She let out a little giggle before leaning down to kiss his lips.

"Yes."

No there's no life after you.
No there's no life after you.
No there's no life after you, yeah.
No there's no life after you, yeah.


Completed
schizo19 is the author of 5 other stories.

This story is part of the series, Leave This Town.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story