Story Notes:

 

There I was, standing in the Pittsburgh International Airport, waiting to board our flight. Everyone is overly excited about going to Las Vegas. I'm the sheltered girl that never traveled anywhere until the last couple of years. Even then it was simply to the beach. I was about fly across country, which I have never done before. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right? Take a deep breath and step on the plane. I tell myself over and over again, what could go so wrong? Nothing exciting ever happens to me. I hear my friend screaming down the corridor "Vegas Here We Come!!!!"

Sitting on the plane, headed to impromptu wedding for friends that really shouldn't be getting married. Two people that met nearly four months ago, what makes them think they should get married so fast? Do Vegas weddings ever last? How can I even judge these people, I'm 26, single, and trust no one. I have been single for nearly two years because the last guy I dated hurt me so bad that I can't even think about being in another relationship. Seriously, two years. Get over it.

Kia looks at me and says, "Mel, we are going to have so much fun, you're the lucky one that's single! Live it up girl, were only here a week."

Thanks, Kia for stating the oblivious. I'm the single one; I'm always the single one.

 "I don't want to be the single one again, but I guess I am. Maybe I will meet a guy here, get married and not go home." I smiled then said, "You never know, right?" Kia turned to me with this I don't even think so face and said, "I won't approve of any guy you meet out here." I just laughed and we started talking about what we are going to do while in Vegas.

Finally I drift off, hoping I would get a couple hours of sleep. However I wake to the attendant telling me to put on my seat belt, we are about to land. There's no way. I haven't been asleep that long. I look down at my phone; the time says 10:14am. We have only been on the plane an hour and fourteen minutes.  The flight attendant returns and says that they are having some mechanical issues with the plane and we are landing in Phoenix, AZ. They will put us on the next flight out to Las Vegas.

"When is the next flight out?"

 "12:55pm"

I look at everyone else and we are all thinking the same thing. We are never going to make the wedding.

Stacy snapped up, "I have to see this train wreck of a wedding happen."

I agreed, "Me too. I won't believe it unless I see that it really happened."

We land in Arizona, go into the airport and sit for two and a half hours. We get lunch, alcohol, and more alcohol. Once we finally board the flight, I am convinced something else will happen. For some reason I just had a feeling. However I'm excited about going to Vegas. I have never been there, seven whole days in a place that's completely different than I was used to. I was ready for the experience. I look at all my friends; Steve and Kia are planning what we should do when we finally do get there. Stacy is complaining to Mike that she is tired and wants to just go to the hotel and sleep before the wedding. I, I just wanted to have fun. We finally land and the first thing we do, is grab our luggage or should I say we grab their luggage. My bright pink, heavy suitcase is missing.

"Of course mine would be missing, just my luck." I laugh thinking; I knew that was coming.

 After I flip out on the baggage claim department, I fill out the damn paperwork then head straight to the bar. Not to my surprise there are my friends, already have a beer in hand.

 "It's not here. God knows where it ended up when we changed planes."

What am I supposed to wear to the wedding that is only four hours away? What am I going to wear for an entire week? I just laugh because if not I'm about to scream. I will have to go shopping. I have on jeans and a tank top; I can't seriously wear this to a wedding, even if it's a Vegas wedding. I simply can't do that.

We head to the hotel. The entire cab ride over all I could do is worry about that damn suitcase. I thought my vacation was going to be great, time well deserved to just be happy and lay in the sunshine and do nothing. Well it started out just fucking wonderful.

As we walk up to the counter to check in, I realize that my hotel reservation paperwork is in my suitcase, no my purse. I just chuckle to myself.

"I need to check in, reservations for Melissa Roberts."

The woman at the counter looks at me, looks at the computer, and then looks up again, finally says "We don't have reservations for a Melissa Roberts."

I could feel the heat in my face now. I am going to explode on this woman, who is really not a fault for this. I can't help it. Not only did they lose mine, they lost everyone's. They lost reservations for three rooms, how does this happen? That was the last straw I have had enough, I took a deep breath and just exploded. Everyone in the entire hotel heard me. They all stopped in their tracks to look at the crazy woman at the counter. I have never exploded like this, but it had been a day from hell. I demanded to speak to a manager. I didn't have my paperwork however everyone else had theirs.  The manager claims this has never happened before and blah blah blah. The hotel at been over booked for some huge event happening today. They ended up giving us the penthouse, because it was the only room left for the night and a refund of our entire trip package. We are sitting in the lobby, while they get the penthouse ready for us. I had a great idea. "Why don't we get out of this town? We only have the hotel for one night. We already have to find someone else to stay. We have all of our money let's just go someone else. Start our vacation over."

 Kia suggests that we go to California; I have always wanted to go to L.A. see the sites.  Stacy thinks we should go to Texas, see her family she hasn't saw in years. Steve wants to go home, save the money they gave him back. Mike, well Mike just doesn't care what we do. We decided to think on it for a while and get ready for the wedding.

I had to get something to wear so I went shopping for a dress. I walked in the first store I saw and completely fell in love with the first dress in the window. A short, lace covered, yellow tank style dress that was just gorgeous but I doubt I would be able to wear it to anything at home again. I didn't have time to spend looking for a cheaper dress so I just bought it. Spent more money on a dress than I ever thought I would spend on a dress that would be worn once. I had to buy shoes of course, no luggage, no shoes. I found a pair of purple heels that were just perfect. They were not nearly as much as the dress but close. Shoes are my weakness. I'm surprised I didn't purchase a very expensive pair. I returned to the hotel to find everyone else already getting ready. The penthouse looked like it was from the Real World Las Vegas season. I didn't want to get ready I wanted to enjoy the night in this beautiful room overlooking the downtown area of Las Vegas.

I'm getting ready for the wedding and my phone rings. They found my luggage. It was in San Francisco and it would be delivered after 8:00pm when the flight comes in. The phone rings again, I think please don't tell me there is something wrong with my damn luggage. I race to answer the phone, it's my mother.

She is yelling at me. "Why didn't you call when you landed? You said you would call. You know I would have worried until I heard from you."

That was my mother. She worried about things before there was ever anything to worry about. I started to ramble about the events of the day, "Well it's been non-stop drama. Our plane had to land early in AZ, we waited hours and finally got to Vegas, and then my luggage went missing. It's in San Francisco. I had to buy a dress for the wedding and now we are finally getting ready to leave. It's been a crazy day, sorry I forgot to call."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story