"Welcome to the Pittsburgh International Airport." I hear the attendant say overhead. I suddenly feel my stomach turning uncontrollably. We only have to get through three days here then we are off to New York for the next few weeks. I was more nervous to be heading home than I was flying to L.A and not knowing what was going to happen with Justin. I know how I felt the last couple days I was here. I knew I was going to see these people who treated me like with absolutely no respect. I keep telling myself that it will be fine... I am more worried about Justin meeting my mother. That is the biggest challenge.

            Justin is trying to get the GPS unit to work. "What are you doing?" I ask.

"I am trying to get this damn thing to work... It seems to be broken."

"We don't need the GPS here. I know the area."

"Well um.... Oh yea. I forgot and... I ... I wanted it as backup."

"Sure. You just don't trust me. I know this area pretty well"

            I am shaking my head. Justin wanted to hire a driver, but I thought it was absurd. I may not want to live here anymore but I did live here for nearly a quarter of a century. Nothing has changed majorly in at least a decade. I have only been gone a couple months.

Small town after small town finally we arrive.  He is not impressed by any means. There were no bright lights of Hollywood shining bright. There were no Mercedes' or BMW's everywhere you turned. It had been a long since he called a small town home.

            We pull up to the hotel that Justin's assistant, Mandy, has made for us. He didn't want to impose on anyone so we were staying at a hotel for the weekend. I notice a car that I am very familiar with sitting right in the parking lot, and then I see this woman with really long dark hair jump out of the truck. "Mel!!!" It's Kia; she must have been sitting here since our flight got in. "I am so excited that you are home, even if it is only for a couple days." I however wasn't so excited to be here. I was happy that I get to see everyone close to me, but there was nothing else here for me.

            "I know you guys just got in town, I know you have dinner with your mom and step father tonight... however I was wondering what you guys had planned for tomorrow?"

I looked at Justin and he shrugged his shoulders then said, "We didn't make any plans for the weekend. Whatever comes up!" with the smirk on his face I interrupted him, "What do you want to do Ms. Kia?"

"Well... my mom and her friends have these amazing tickets for a concert tomorrow, but now they are not going. They said I could have them. I would really like you guys to come with Steve and me."

"Sure, it's fine with me. Where is it and who is playing?"

"It's at Post Gazette and Rascal Flatts of course!"

"Shut up."

"No, you shut up."

"I was just in the studio with them last week. They are amazing guys."

"Why did you not tell me about this?"

"Well I mentioned it to Steve but I wasn't making a big deal out of it until I saw how the song came out..." I turn to Justin, "Can we go?"

He looks at me weird, "Why wouldn't we be able to?"

"Can you go without being mobbed by crazy people?"

"Oh, I didn't even think about that. I will have my manager call and have security in place."

            Kia is extremely happy now, beaming from ear to ear. She was never a country music fan. I have opened her up to a lot of music she never liked before. She always called me ‘a know it all' because no matter what song was on the radio, I would know the lyrics to the song. "I will let you go now. It's great to see you! We will pick you up in the morning here... how's like one o'clock and we will do lunch then head up to tailgate and bring food to make dinner." I told her that all sounded great and that I would stop and pick up the food to cook on the grill. She argued with me of course because this is something she wanted to do for us but I had to go to the store anyways I would handle it.

            Just then my phone rang, saved by the bell. She said she had to leave anyway, she had to work afternoon shift. I look at the caller ID...

"Hello, Ms. I never answer my phone." I say with sarcasm.

"Sorry sorry, I just got off work. You know have crazy they are about cell phones there. How the heck are you?

"I was great until I landed at the Pittsburgh International airport about an hour ago."

"What? You're in town?"

"The devil is back in town!"

"What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see my mom and everyone before I left for Justin's tour. It's going to be a very busy couple months... What are you doing tonight? I would like to at least stop and have a beer or something."

"I don't have any plans, I have to work in the morning."

"Well I have dinner with my parents at 5... I will stop after that, is that ok?

"It doesn't matter what time I am just excited to see you... oh crap... there is going to be people over here, Mike invited people over for a cook out and some drinks, is that ok?"

"I don't care."

"Well just making sure, you are dating the biggest celebrity in the world."

"Shit, I didn't even think of that. I always forget that he isn't just Justin. It will be fine."

            Dinner with my mother and step-father went much better than I could have imagined. I was worried they would say something stupid, embarrass me or something that would leave me horrified. I guess that's the chance you take when you bring someone home to meet the family. They welcomed him in with open arms and were generous to say the least.

            My niece made me laugh hysterically when she walked through the door. I guess she never really knew who I was dating. She knew I was dating Justin but I guess she never put the idea together. She was after all only ten. She walked through that door and all you heard was a very high pitched squeal. She stopped in her tracks and just stared at him and finally said, "You... you... you are... Justin... Timberlake..." Justin replied with a simple, "Hi, I'm Justin. It's very nice to meet you Morgan." She sat and stared at him for the longest time. It was so cute because he sat there and just talked to her. She would be the coolest ten year old in school now.           

"Honey, I'm HOOMMMEEE!!!!" I walk into Stacy's house without even knocking. We never knock on each other's door. We lock our doors if we're having sex or doing something we don't want people to walk in on.

"Oh my god! I can't believe you are here!!!" She seemed very happy to see me and Justin, "It's great to see you again Justin. I hope this small town doesn't corrupt you?"

He laughs, "It's doubtful. I have lived in L.A. for too long."

"Well, let's go out back. Introduce Justin to our friends. Everyone is out there."

I whisper in his ear, "I'm sorry right now before we even get out there..." He just laughs.

            Everyone was there, everyone that I spent the last five years of my life with. Bob is the most conservative one but is also the most outspoken. He is the first to say anything... "We'll look who we have here. The big time California girl! How the heck are you girl? I have missed you." He hugs me and then I introduce him to Justin and Bob was very nice to him. All my friends are very protective so it's difficult for them to realize that I found someone outside of our little circle of friends to date. They had to expect it, come on now everyone else was married.

            My friends were amazing to say the least. They were always there through the good and the bad. No matter what is going on in their lives if someone is needed they run to them. That was the case five years ago when we all lost Megan and it has never stopped. Her death made us all step back and look at life from a different perspective. At least that's what I thought.

            Everyone seems to be having a good time. We were all having a beer and talking about stupid things we have done. Let's inform Justin how stupid I can be sometimes, sounds like a great time. I leave Justin to fend for himself, while I run in the house to use the restroom. I hear two female voices outside the door, like it is coming from the kitchen.

"... I love that she thinks she is some big celebrity now. She is dating this guy that will probably leave her for the next hot chick that comes his way... She is so full of herself now, what happened to the Mel that used to know?..."

            I am flabbergasted when I realize whose voice that is. I can't believe the words that are coming out of her mouth. Had I really changed? I really didn't think I had, at least not in a bad way. What did I say that would make them think I have changed? I mentioned being in the recording studio... being in L.A. but only things that they asked about. Was it that I was actually happy and in love and they both have loveless marriages? Were they jealous for some reason? I stand for a minute in the bathroom then there is a knock on the door. In a sad, hurt voice I say, "I will be right out." The door opens immediately. Stacy walks in, "Mel, what's wrong."

"Nothing. I just think I am going to leave."

"I know there is something wrong, I can hear it in your voice. Do you want me to get Justin?"

"No, I will go back out there but then I am leaving. I had a bad feeling this trip would hurt me more than it would be good."

"What happened?"

"Nothing, let's just say jealousy is all around us today."

            I thought for a moment that I should turn into a complete bitch. I should show them a new me that they are so sure I had turned into but why should I give them that kind of satisfaction. There is someone new to this little get together. I wasn't sure who she even was, but she was sitting in my seat. I sat on Justin's lap, he must have felt how tense I was because he leaned up to me and asked if I was ok. I whispered back yes, but we have to get going soon.

Suddenly this unknown person who introduces herself as Amber, looks to Justin, "So, Justin, what's it like being the biggest celebrity in the world and to have everyone at your beck and call?" This was extremely rude of her. No one has treated him any different until she got here. Justin looked embarrassed and gave her a confused look and I spoke before he could have the chance to.

"It's quite difficult for him to be the biggest celebrity in the world since according to you and Jessica I am the biggest celebrity in the world now. I am an ungrateful bitch who is so caught up in myself that I can't see that my boyfriend doesn't love me and is only with me because I am... what was it again?, just another hot chick that walked by him." I am fuming now. I should have just kept my mouth shut but I wanted them to know I heard everything they said.

Everyone is like stunned in their seats. Of course there are only two people that know exactly what I am talking about. Bob looks at me and everyone else "Excuse me, what just happened? Did I miss something?"

"Well Bob, you wife and her little friend here, Amber were having a nice little conversation about me in the kitchen. Little did they know I was in the restroom just feet away. I heard everything they said. Funny thing is, the only selfish ungrateful people, are the two people sitting in the seats with their jaws hitting the floor because they know they are wrong. I think the person that has changed is you Jessica. I thought you were a friend. I guess you learn who your friends are the hard way. I can't believe you would think that I had changed. I am still the same person. Maybe I am a little more confident or whatever but I am still Mel." I just shake my head. I was over being here and dealing with her and her issues. I turned to Justin and told him I think we should leave; our warm welcoming wasn't so warm anymore. He was kind of stunned he has never seen my snap on someone like that.

Bob turns to Jessica and says, "What the fuck?" she doesn't respond, she is pissed that I called her out. She got up and went into the house.

"I'm sorry to ruin everyone's night, I shouldn't have came. It was nice to see everyone... well almost everyone. Maybe when Justin's show comes to town I will get to see some of you."

"I am so sorry Mel, I had no idea. I can't believe my wife said those things. Please know that she is completely wrong and know that we all love you dearly. We miss having you here."

"Thanks, I appreciate that. Her words hurt, but I guess you live and learn."

            Justin finally chimes in, "You shouldn't have to learn like that." Everyone around us agreed.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story