New York City.

                        Madison Square Garden.

                        The feeling of standing on that stage is a rush and it was only sound check. I wasn't sure I would get through this night without screwing up something. I had one song to sing and I was this nervous. Justin had to sing and play thirty songs and he was calm. He has done this a couple thousand times. This wasn't new to him. "Breathe Hun, you will be fine." That's easy for you to say, these people could very easily boo me right off that stage. They already like you. They have paid money to see you, not his girlfriend.

            I couldn't get my mark right. There was a piece of tape on the floor and I still couldn't do it correctly. I would open my month to sing and there would be nothing there. "Fuck." I was beyond frustrated. "You are going to have to cut this song from the set list tonight. I can't do it." I walk back up the steps to get my place again and the heel snaps. Can you actually believe that a twelve hundred dollar pair of shoes would snap so easily? I am glad I didn't pay of that shoe because I would be irate. This was a sample of what was going to happy tonight.

            Before I could even say anything Justin is attempting to calm me down in his understanding and sympathetic voice as it echoes through the venue, but it's not working. "Breathe, it's going to be fine. You have nailed this performance countless times in rehearsal, on the today show, and you will nail it again tonight and every show after this one." What was wrong with me today? "I am not cutting this song out of the set so you better suck it up girl. You can do this, I know you can." He knows that I am stressing beyond belief about this. I need to relax.  "Listen to me...Melissa, listen" I am shaking my head wanting to scream. "Pretend it's me and you sitting at the piano at home, singing to one other."

"Can't I just imagine you naked?"

He winks at me, "Well that can be arranged... I actually would prefer that option!"

"I bet you would."

"Were done here, there is no point in stressing over this. We will make it work tonight."

            All of our family and friends were sitting in that backstage green room. Mine were all here to see me perform, let's hope I don't screw up. As nervous as I had been the entire day, I was ready for it to be here and get it over with.

            The time seemed to go from tick, tick, tick to ‘Fifteen minutes to Showtime!" Justin was dressed and ready to go. Five minutes before he was to be on stage I left him by himself so he could get his thoughts together and prepare himself. I was going to sit in the audience with my family and friends. I wanted to see the wardrobe from the audience. I knew what time I had to be back so I could be ready for my performance. I tell Justin to have a great show and enjoy every moment of it then security escorted me to my seat. It was so crowded and dark I don't think anyone would even notice me sneaking to my seat however security wouldn't allow that. I don't think anyone would notice me anyways. They were being over cautious.

            The lights dim darker then it turns pitch black. Justin is opening the show from below the stage. Then he will appear on the very end of the catwalk when the lights finally turn on. I know its coming but I try not to make it obvious. Then you hear, "She's freaky but I like it... " the lights focus on where he is standing. The crowd is screaming. The sound gives me goose bumps. He doesn't sing for a moment, he is taking in that sound as well. He is standing in the spotlight like a silhouette, standing perfectly still. I felt like I was a teenager again screaming at him. I go right back into being the fan of his music. The only difference is that I am the one going home with him at the end of the night.

            There are a couple moments when I know he is looking at me and singing to me, and I love it. The sexiest thing a guy can do is sing to me. After the person beside me sees him singing to me she realizes who I am. "Are you Melissa Roberts?" I look at Kia; my eyes are huge and think shit how am I going to get out of this one.

"No honey you must have me confused with someone else."

"No, your Melissa Roberts, I have seen thousands of pictures of you and Justin. You have a very distinctive face, you're very pretty. I thought I read somewhere that you are performing tonight?"

I was caught there was nothing I could do. "I am, shortly."

"I knew it was you. I thought that was you when you were walking out here but I couldn't believe that you would be sitting right beside me. Justin seems like he is a different person with you..." I have the defensive face on now, "No, no I mean that in a good way. He seems to be happy in love now instead of depressed, almost as if he found his other half."

"Thank you. I appreciate that. It's almost as if it's a compliment to me."

"Oh, it is. You have really made him happy and I don't even get to see your personal day to day lives."

            Very quickly there are bright yellow shirts around me telling me I have to leave. I am going to have a talk with security because I am going to sit in on many shows. They are simply going to have to get used to people talking to me. She was very nice and polite there was no harm done. Luckily it's time for me to leave anyways. I have to miss my favorite part of the show to get my dress on, my hair finished, and the stage makeup. It's only a matter of minutes now and I will be on stage at Madison Square Garden in front of thousands and thousands of people. I felt the excitement run through my body.

            I stand behind the stairs that lead up to the platform I need to be on. I can see the crowd. They are enjoying every moment that he is on stage. I drop my head and pray for a moment. I don't normally pray however I needed some kind of higher power to help me out a little right now. Slowly I walk up the steps with the help of three stage hands that are hoping I don't rip the dress with the heels I have on or heaven forbid I break another heel.

            I was in place. The stage was dark. His music starts. This was it; I was going to do it. Suddenly the spotlight is on me and the stage is dark again. The moment I let out that first note, which is extended more than it is on the track, the crowd is super quiet. At first I was thinking, ‘Oh Shit' but then the crowd roared. I now know that feeling that Justin said I would know. It was indescribable. I stood there for a moment forgetting that I had to start the verse.

            I am suddenly in the moment when I met Justin on the plane, that smile when I looked up at him. I'm in the bar and the taste of that very first kiss. Those beautiful blue eyes that gazed back at me standing in the rain waiting for the door to open... falling in love with the amazing person he is. I snapped out of my moment and thankfully Kevin adjusts the music and I chime in as if nothing is wrong. I slowly walk down the stairs and end up standing next to Justin and he is staring directly into my eyes. I feel that lump in my throat. I was officially an emotional wreck. Even though I have heard the line, "I can see you in the white dress, the train full of lace, hair swept back, and you taking my last name" a hundred times I feel my voice start to shake as he reaches slowly to embrace my face, rubbing my check ever so slightly. Twenty thousand people may have been staring at us in that moment but I didn't feel anyone else in the room; it was simply Justin and I. He was right, I needed to relax and pretend it was the two of us. It worked. As we finished the song he leans and kisses my forehead and whispers ‘I love you.' Could this man be any more perfect? We turn away from each other and face the crowd. They are screaming so loud. They must have liked it.

            I walk off of the stage and felt this incredible high. The stage director is running towards me. "You were phenomenal, that was... epic. You have to see the video of it. Congratulations!" "Thanks" It's all that I could say as he is running back to his station. I had never been this speechless in my life.

            I was planning on returning to my seat to finish watching the show but security had frowned about that idea however I don't listen very well. I threw on the hat Justin was wearing earlier, changed into different clothes and went back out there. I had to see the rest of the show. I grabbed my phone and headed to the sound booth. Security can bite my ass. No one would see me back there.

            There was fifteen text messages on my phone from my mom, Kia, and Steve all saying ‘Congrats' and then there was one from Lynn that made me cry. "Congratulations on an amazing performance. You are more talented than you ever give yourself credit for. I can't wait until I can officially call you my daughter someday. I love you."

            I was not expected her to refer to me as her daughter. That was the last thing that would have crossed my mind. Rachel and I had a conversation about parents of significant others the week I arrived in L.A., she had said many things but the line I always kept in my head was "Having Lynn's respect is going to be the most challenging part of your relationship with Justin. She has seen her son get hurt more than anyone could ever imagine. She hasn't respected any of them enough to want her son to marry them." Had he talked to his mother about asking me to marry him? What this something he had thought about? I am thinking crazy now, we are not ready for marriage. I am reading too much into this text message.

            I left the sound booth and returned to the green room before the last song had ended. I had the alcohol on ice and everything ready. I was going to blast Justin with the Champagne as he walk through those doors. All of the dancers were instructed to come straight into this dressing room. They were slowly come in now. Justin is the last to leave the stage and he always stops and leaves his microphone before he gets into the dressing room to shower. His entire band, dancers, managers, friends, and family were standing behind me ready to spray him the moment that door opened.

            I shook that bottle is hard as I could and blasted him as he walked through that door. I did however fail to see the amazing bouquet of red roses that he was carrying in his left arm. Everyone is screaming ‘Congratulations!' He is embarrassed, and turns all red. He walks over to me and says, "Well these are for you, I don't think the champagne got on them. You did an amazing job tonight. I am so proud of you. I love you." leans in and kisses me then says, "Now who organized this little gang up on Justin event?" I look from side to side pretending that it wasn't me then slowly raise my hand to take the blame.  He gives me the ‘I'm going to get you' look and launches at me, chasing me around the room, spraying me with champagne. I guess pay back is a bitch.

            The noise had calmed down. Justin had got his stinky sweaty ass in the shower and we start to drink without him. I hand him a drink as he walks back into the room.

"Jack and coke babe?"

"I knew I loved you for a reason."

"Well thanks, that's what I am good for."

"There is something else you are good for." As he pulls me towards him

Steve interrupts this conversation... "Ok now, I don't want to hear or see this." He shakes Justin's hand, "Amazing show buddy, I was very impressed." Then he turns to me, "Your performance made me cry. I am proud of you, you did an amazing job and well I am just so proud of you. I love you." Now I am crying. Steve cried? Steve Never cries, I must have done good.

"No more tears guys, anyone. Let's drink." I couldn't be crying on a night like this even if they were happy tears.

            Everyone was joined in for a toast. Justin leads, "Here is to a successful tour, to happiness, to the future, to love, to friendship, and to family."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story