My foot is tapping on the side of the chair. I couldn't sit still. There are eight other women sitting in the waiting room. Two that seem to be ready to have their baby's at any moment. They have all seemed to pick up a Parade magazine or a baby magazine as I sit with a Vogue in my hand. I am out of place in this room.

            The woman sitting directly across from me keeps looking up and whispering to the person next to her. Is there something on my face? Did I forget to button my shirt? What were they starring at?

            "The doctor will see you now. Please follow me." This nurse was more than likely a brand new nurse and was going to run straight to the press and pay off her student loans. She instantly knew who I was and asked if the father was going to be at the appointment. "Have a seat on the exam table. He will be in to see you in just a moment."

            Sometime between dinner last night and this morning I had actually been able to come to terms with everything. I was going to have a baby and then work on my dreams. There was some rearranging that need to be done. But I had to look it as if I know had nine more months to complete the album and make it even better. There was no other way to look at the situation.

"Melissa Roberts, I'm Dr. Edwards. It's nice to meet you again."

"It's nice to meet you again to."

"So we are here to see how far along you are and get you an estimated due date, correct?"

"I guess so. I only found out yesterday I was pregnant."

"Is the father going to be present?"

"For privacy reasons he will not be at this appointment."

"I understand. We do get a lot of high profile individuals through this office. It makes sense to have ample amount of time before the press gets a hold of the story."

"Yea, life in the spotlight!

            He has dumped that nasty gooey cold gel on my stomach and is moving it around to project the image onto the small monitor. He looks almost confused.

"Have you had any morning sickness?"

"Not that I can remember... well maybe a couple days ago however I thought it was nerves. You know performing on national television for the first time or performing at Madison Square Garden is a little intimidating."

"I would imagine that would be very nerve racking."

"It was good though. I managed to handle them both."

"I did see your performance at MSG. My daughters are huge fans of Justin. I was shocked that big voice came out of that tiny body. You handled it very well." He is attempting to make small talk because there is something wrong.

"Thanks." I wasn't sure if he was serious or if he was trying to make me feel good before he plummeted me with bad news.

"I will be right back. Maybe you should call the father and have him be present."

"Is that really necessary?"

"I think so."

"You are making me nervous right now. I want to know what's going on."

"Well I am not currently sure. The nurse will be in to take a blood and urine sample. I will return in a moment."           

            I am panicking. What is going on that he won't tell me? Is there something medically wrong with me? I pick up the phone and call Justin. My hands are trembling so much that I drop the phone. Once I finally get control of myself, I dial the number.  He doesn't answer, I know that Trace is with him and they are working on William Rast designs today so I call him.

"Hello" Trace answers immediately with a confused sound in his voice.

‘Trace, where is Justin?" My tone isn't just simply asking where he is, there was some panic in in the shakiness.

"I think he is in the conference room, is something wrong?"

"Yes" my voice begins to shake, "I need Justin to get over to the doctor's office as soon as he can. They are not telling me anything but they said that he should be here."

"Whoa, ok this is serious now. I will find him and he will be there, I promise."

"Thanks Trace. I know he is probably in complete work mode."

"Typical Justin. I will have him there in a few minutes."

            Sitting alone in that exam room was not comforting at all, not one single person said anything to me other than to take blood and urine. I was getting more and more scared as the moments ticked by. Anything could be wrong and I had every major medical condition running through my mind.

Within fifteen minutes of speaking to Trace, I hear Justin getting very loud in the waiting room. "I want to know where she is at. I don't care what you have to do, you find what room she is in now."

I step into the hallway, "Justin, calm down I am right here."

"What the hell is going on? You are pale white and look scared shitless and these people are just allowing you to sit in that room."

"Calm down. I don't know what is going on yet."

"That's inexcusable. You are the patient they shouldn't leave you with nothing. I think I had a heart attack or two on the way over here."

I have tears in my eyes and I know he is just as worried as I am, "Just hold me please." With his arms wrapped around me and the whispers of "I love you's" I feel safer knowing he is here. I could feel my body starting to tremble.

 

"Melissa, I am so sorry to keep you waiting. However I didn't want to tell you something that wasn't correct. There was an issue with the sonogram and I had to run a few tests to verify it."

"Ok. So what is going on?"

"Well the blood tests that were submitted to me came back as you were pregnant. But the sonogram showed that you were not pregnant. Nor have you been. The blood tests must have been mixed up."

"Mixed up, what exactly are you saying?"

"You are not pregnant. You are 100% not pregnant. The tests we ran in today verified that."

"You are kidding me right?"

"No, I am sorry but you are not pregnant."

            I could feel the tears started to well up in my eyes. I didn't know at that moment to be happy or sad. I guess this is the outcome I wanted but a part of me felt let down. I expected for it to be a relief in some way but it wasn't.

"I have driven myself crazy the last 24 hours over, nothing? Does this happen often?"

"This has never happened to one of my patients... All of the blood tests that were grouped together were all from every female on the tour. Which means someone is pregnant. Someone that submitted blood the same day you did is more than likely the individual that is pregnant."

"So what do we do now?"

"Whenever you are ready you are free to go. There is nothing else you have to do. I will contact the tour manager and arrange for the females who were here the same day to come back in."

"Thanks Dr. Edwards."

"Again I am very sorry for everything."

            It was a quiet ride back to the apartment. I wasn't pregnant, I should be relieved. But I wasn't. I was upset because I wasn't pregnant. There has to be something wrong with my crazy mind because I nearly had a nervous breakdown in the restaurant last night and today it's the complete opposite.

"I'm sorry" I felt ridiculous for making such a scene last night and behaving the way I did.

"Why are you sorry? This isn't your fault."

"I was selfish and made this all about me. I completely ruined your news and made it all about me. And, I guess a part of me feels like I let you down. You were beyond ecstatic to finally become a father. I took that away from you."

"You haven't done anything wrong. You were never pregnant, simply false results. I have to be honest I was excited about becoming a dad but it is obvious that it wasn't meant to happen right now."

"I'm so sorry."

"This isn't your fault. We will get married and have babies. I have no doubt in that."

Grabbing for his hand, "I love you."

"I love you to" as he lifts my hand to kiss it.

***

            Kia & Steve had sent a huge bouquet of flowers to congratulate us on the pregnancy. I was shaken up by everything that didn't even think about calling them and telling them that I wasn't pregnant. They would be here shortly for dinner anyways so I would inform them then.

It may have only been four in the afternoon but the moment I stepped into that apartment I cracked open a beer. The ice cold beverage went down so smooth. I didn't need to drink I simply wanted it because I could.

"Can you grab me one of those?" Justin asks politely.

"Do I look like I want to share any of that 12 pack with you?"

"Well no, that is why I would like to have at least one."

"Fine, just don't make it a habit. I am the one that needs the alcohol."

"I think we both do after the events the last couple days."

I wanted to literally jump his bones at that moment, but I knew we didn't have time, not even for a quickie. There was a knock at the door. I seductively whisper in his ear, "I want to taste you" He pulls me closer to him and kisses me then whispers back, "Not as bad as I want to taste you" The knocking has continued. Now I know that it is Steve because the person on the other side of the door hasn't stopped knocking. I would assume that he knocked thirty or so times.

"I'm coming."

Steve responds from the other side of the door, "I bet you are"

"Hey now..." I opened the door, "No need to dirty everything up."

"Was I wrong? Never mind, scratch that I don't even want to know."

            The first thing Kia notices is the beer. "Mel, why do you have a beer in your hand? That better be Justin's."

"It's not. It's mine. I have only had one so far."

"You can't have any."

"I can have as many as I want, even though there is only ten left in the fridge."

"What are you doing?"

"I did you both to sit down. I have some news."

"I thought we got the big news yesterday?"

"Please, just sit. Then we can get to dinner because I am starving."

I called to verify our reservations for Southern Hospitality. I hadn't eaten all day. I was too stressed to even think about food. So some nice southern food sounded amazing right now. Not to mention I really need to eat something if I am going to continue to drink all night. I was about to blurt this news out to them. They were so excited for me. I may have been the only one that was simply scared about having a baby.

"I think I need to give you money for those flowers you sent. I can't imagine how much they cost you here."

Steve and Kia are both thinking I have completely went off the deep end. I was acting erratic, drinking alcohol, fidgety, and rambling. Okay so maybe the rambling was normal but the rest of it wasn't. They both at almost the same time ask what is going on.

"I am not pregnant."

"What?" Kia is more hurt than surprised.

"There was something with my blood work that was mixed up with someone else's and long story short, I am not pregnant." They just sat there.  I don't think they knew what to say.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story