iteten Chapter Ten

9:45pm (same day)

“Did you bring cash with you?” Justin asked after four hours of finishing up ‘Cry Me A River’.

“Put it on the tab.” Jenn responded taking a big gulp out of Justin’s water bottle.

“Alright, but that’s almost fifteen grand you owe me.”

“You know I’m good for it.” Jenn replied as she looked through her cd’s “I talked to RJ last night and he told me he has a track for you for the right price.”

“Yeah right.” Justin said stretching on the couch. He waited without Jenn saying anything and then asked. “How much?”

“Took you long enough.” Jenn said with a giggle. “He said a night with either Juls or Britney.”

“Yeah right.” Justin said with a roll of his eyes. “I can speak for Juls. I don’t know about Britney, I haven’t had pull over her in a minute.”

“Ah that’s messed up. You know Wade and her are happy.”

“So are Juls and I!!”

“Anyway, RJ was joking as always. He said you can have the track if you hire him to remix one of the new songs.”

“Which one?”

“Well I don’t know Timberlake. We only have one recorded and I’m not remixing ‘Cry Me A River’ It’s perfect as it is.”

“Alright that’s cool. When are you getting the track?”

“I should be getting it sometime tomorrow night. He has to come to L.A. for a meeting with some radio station.”

“Alright.”

“So what do you think about ‘Cry Me A River’?”

“I think Juls is going to hate it.”

“Who cares about what Juls thinks? She isn’t one of the fans.” Jenn shrugged.

“I care. And she’s my only fan. True fan, at least.”

“You have such a big head.”

“Whatever. She’s going to read into that song and I’ll be sleeping alone for at least two nights.”

“Ha!!” Jenn laughed mockingly.

“Oh shut up. Things aren’t looking to good for your sleeping arrangements either.”

“Huh?” Jenn said playing dumb.

“Don’t huh me. You know what I’m talking about. What’s going on between you two lately?”

“I could ask myself the same question. And believe me I have.”

“Is it serious?”

“Isn’t it always?”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“I honestly don’t know what there is to talk about. He’s been on a jealous rampage ever since we moved here.”

“Is it because you started working more?”

“Who knows.”

“Maybe he feels you aren’t spending as much time with him as you spent the first four years since you got married.”

“Are we talking about us or you?”

“You.”

“Yeah right. Anyway we decided as a couple to take a break from everything for a long while. We traveled and enjoyed ourselves. We didn’t agree to stay that way forever.”

“He probably just got used to having you around.”

“Again are we talking about you or us.”

“You, stupid.”

“Why would he think I was going to NOT work?”

“Maybe cause you don’t need to.”

“I understand that I don’t have to work for probably the rest of my life because we are very well off for the next thirty years. But I don’t care about money and I never have or will.” Jenn turned to Justin. “Has he said anything to you?”

“When exactly would that be? I’m always doing something. At least for the past month or so and I barely see him for an hour at a time. He seems to be busy all the time himself.”

“Yeah that’s another thing. Did you know he was planning on recording an album?”

“He mentioned it to me at the party.”

“And you didn’t say anything?”

“I didn’t think it was a big secret. Besides since when does Jc keep shit from you?”

“Exactly. He’s acting really strange lately and I don’t know what the hell to do or say half the time.”

“Go on vacation.”

“Vacation?”

“Yeah. Works for me and J all the time.”

“A vacation works for you and Juls because you two go on vacation to shop.”

“Are you trying to say that our marriage is based on money?”

“No I’m saying that it’s based on shopping skills.”

“Oh that’s messed up.” Justin said throwing a cushion at her head. She ducked and the cushion landed on the sound controls.

“I’m only kidding.” Jenn said smacking him on the back of his head as they walked out of the studio heading upstairs. “You two are the best shoppers, though. I gotta say that.”

“Tell Bobbie that.” Justin said as they made their way into the kitchen

When Jenn and Justin made it to the kitchen they were both surprised to find Juls and Jc taking food out of three large paper bags.

“Hey there!” Justin said kissing the side of Juls’ neck before he started rummaging through the bags too. “What up, C?”

“Hungry.” Jc simply stated. “ I got you your favorite noodles with that sweet chicken you like.” he said to Jenn.

“Why, thank you sir.” Jenn said standing next to Jc with a sincere smile adorning her face.

“I was going to eat at home but I knew you would be here late.” Jenn heard a bit of resentment in his voice but also heard the change as he spoke again. “I thought it would be nice to have a late dinner with Juls and Justin.”

“What about me?”

“Jesus Christ, Lance!!” Juls said jumping back. “I don’t hear you come in.

“Sorry.” Lance said entering the kitchen to join the four people. “Chinese?” he looked at Jc and grabbed the first container at his reach.

“That on is mine, bass.” Justin said grabbing the large shrimp and vegetable from him.

“Are you even going to eat all that?” Lance asked looking at the three cartons of food Justin had in his hand.

“Oh, like you were.” Justin said heading for the family room at the other side of the house. “J, bring me a soda.”

“Sure, master. Coming right up.” Juls said under her breath causing Jenn to giggle.

“Yeah, Jenn I forgot to grab one too.” Jc said following Justin.

“Ha!!”

“I detest you.”

“Don’t hate me. Hate them.”

“Hey girls…” Lance started to say but Juls cut him off.

“You’re going to have to get your own damned soda, Bass.”

“Fine. I see how it is. Call me again when you need a babysitter.” he said loudly to Juls. He looked at Jenn and said. “and you. You. Whatever I don’t have anything on you.” Jenn laughed.

“I’m going to need a babysitter in about five minutes if you don’t shut the hell up.” Juls said as she and Jenn walked to the family room both carrying sodas and the rest of the food cartons.

“Don’t wake up Andie right now Lance. She won’t let me eat my noodles.”

“Why?”

“She always says ‘Eww aunt Jenn, those look like the worms daddy uses to fish’ and then my appetite is ruined.”

“Alright. Alright.” Lance said.

“Mommy?” came from the monitor in the family room.

“Lance!!” Jenn yelled.
 

Two hours earlier

“You’re telling me that you thought the first part to that movie was better than the sequel?”

“Yeah that’s what I am saying. Only certain movies should have sequels.”

“Like which one?”

“Like umm…” she pondered. “Like Pretty In Pink.”

“Yeah right. You serious? You’re such a girl.”

“Yeah, the last time I checked. In ‘Pretty In Pink’ you see molly Ringwald kissing the guy out in the parking lot and nothing else happens. I for one would like to see what happened. Did they break up after five years? Or are they happily married with three kids going through the same dilemma she went through? The ‘Sixth Sense’ shouldn’t have had a sequel. Especially not ten years after the first one. Lost the effect.”

“You’re weird.”

“You’re the one that’s weird, Weirdo.” She said shoving him to the side.

Dinner and a movie had turned out to be a really fun for her.

“We go back to Orlando soon.” He said changing the subject.

“Yes we do.” Kayla said looking at the beautiful waves that splashed at the bottom of the pier where they stood.

“I don’t think I’m going back to class.” Trace said leaning over the railing facing the opposite side she was facing.

“Why not?”

“I was talking to Chris last night and he has a new project for me.”

“And what’s that?”

“A store.”

“For his clothes?”

“Yeah. I’m thinking of helping him out.”

“But what about your plans?”

“My plans weren’t exactly exciting. I figured I can do it in the next couple of years. People won’t stop wearing clothes anytime soon.”

“But why drop your plans to fulfill other’s plans?”

“It’s not like that, Kayla. I like working with anything that has to do with clothes and designing. I’m comfortable with Fumanskeeto. It’s what I know, right now.”

“So you always go for the comfortable?”

“You make me feel comfortable.” He said with a wink as he turned to look at her.

“Don’t change the subject, Juan. You want my opinion?”

“Sure.”

“I think you’re scared.”

“Scared? Of what?” he asked a bit taken aback.

“I think you’re scared of leaving Justin’s shadow and starting something on your own that has nothing to do with Justin scares you.”

“Really?” Trace turned to look at her once again. “You got that out of spending just hours with me? Very impressive analogy. Very wrong but very impressive indeed.”

“Am I wrong?”

“Yes, very. Let me psychoanalyze you for a minute, Kayla.” He said turning to face her. Their eyes met and they stayed that way for what seemed like forever, before he said. “I think you’re terrified.”

“Terrified of what?”
“Terrified of what I can mean to you. Terrified about how you feel about me. Terrified that you know I feel the same way. Terrified that if I kissed you, you won’t be able to stop.”

“You seem to know everything then, Juan. Couldn’t fool you.” Kayla said with a sarcastic smile.

“I don’t know everything.” Trace pulled her gently by the waist and brought her flush against him. “Don’t I?” and then he kissed her. Her heart was beating so hard that she couldn’t feel it anymore. She was lost in the kiss just as much as he was.

Trace cursed the heavens in the sky as he kissed her over and over again unable to stop. He kept kissing her for a good ten minutes and every second that passed he cursed himself to hell. He had fallen again. He was once again being trapped and this time he couldn’t know if he ever wanted to escape. He was in trouble.

Next morning

Jc watched as Jenn went out to greet Luis outside. Jc knew she had plans on recording with Justin that night and she had asked him if it would be okay if she recorded with Luis at their studio that day to record a song she had in mind for him.

Jc had said he didn’t care if Luis came over at all. In all honestly he didn’t want Luis near Jenn at all. Jc had smiled and said he was okay with it.

The night before he had tried to put his paranoia on the back burner as they had dinner with their best friends. They had a great time talking and joking around about current and past situations both couples had gone through.

The topic of a vacation for their anniversary had also come up. Jenn had blown all those plans to hell when she reminded everyone that she would be working around that time. No one said anything about it or commented on it but Jc had a sour taste in his mouth and it wasn’t his sweet and sour chicken that made him feel that way.

Now he stood at his balcony overlooking the front area of the house. Luis hadn’t come alone. Joey had flown in that morning to spend a couple days with Luis before he went on tour to Europe. Jc couldn’t wait till that took place. Maybe he could have his wife back.

“Can’t come down and greet anyone, jackass?” Joey yelled up to him.

“Who the hell am I supposed to greet? I just saw you the other day.” Jc said with a laugh.

“Oh I see how it is.” Joey said entering the house followed by Luis. Jenn stood at the same spot Joey had been in and looked up at him.

“Are you going to play nice?”

“And if I don’t?”

“Then I suggest you find somewhere to go I don’t really know if I’m in the mood today.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Luis just told me what you did?” Jenn said looking seriously up at him. “you need to get out of this funk you’re in, C, because I don’t know what will happen.”

“And what is that supposed to mean?”

“I’m not having this conversation over out balcony. If you come down to the studio, please be nice.”

“Okay, mommy.”

“I mean it, C.” Jenn said before entering the house.

Jc decided he should at least go say hello to Joey. Jenn was setting up a tray of fresh fruit on the kitchen island. Joey and Luis were discussing something he didn’t much care about when he entered the kitchen.

“What’s up ,man?” Joey turned to say. “You certainly look great this morning.”

“Nice to see you too, Joe. Luis.” He simply stated before walking up to the kitchen island where Jenn stood cutting a pineapple.

“Jc.” Was all Luis said before turning to talk to Joey again.

Jenn looked up at Jc and smiled at him. The smile wasn’t meant as face value but as a reminder to play nice.

“Can I help?”

“Yes, please.” Jenn said giving him a questioning look. “Can you get a couple of water bottles from the fridge?”

“Sure.” Jc said going for the fridge. He grabbed one bottle and yelled to Joey. “Heads up.” Before launching the bottle at Joey. Joey caught it in mid air and continued his conversation as if nothing had occurred.

“Jc.” Jenn said but it was too late.

With the bottle in mid air he said “Heads up, Fonsi.” Luis caught the last of the words and tried to duck. The bottle ended up hitting him right on the back of his neck.

“Oh shit. I’m sorry man.” Jc said trying not to laugh.

“That’s not funny.” Jenn said smacking Jc on the stomach before looking at Luis. Luis had an evil look directed at Jc. “You okay?”

“Yeah I’m fine. My fault. I should always pay attention to my surrounding. Never know when things are being launched at you.” Luis said giving Jenn a big smile which in turn made Jc furious. This guy has to go.

“It was an accident.” Jc said furious but trying to sound sincere. It didn’t work.

“Sure.” Luis said but didn’t look at Jc instead he just smiled at Jenn. “I’m ready whenever you are, Jennise.”

“It’s Jenn.” Jc was overtaken by a smile that took over his features when he heard her correct him. “we don’t have too much time on this track so we should get to work.”

“Good.” Luis said swinging his water bottle back and forth on his hands. “lead the way.”

“I’ll be back in a little while. I’m going to Justin’s to see Andie for a little bit.” Joey said heading out the door.

“Maybe you can go with him, C.” Jenn said heading for the studio door. “Do you mind carrying this down for me, Fonsi.”

“No problem.” Luis said grabbing the tray and winking at Jenn. Jc came forward towards Luis but was stopped by Jenn.

“Thank you.” Jenn said briskly.

“That son of a bitch. Did you.. of course you didn’t see it.” Jc said furiously walking towards the living room.

“I’m not blind, C. I saw him but I don’t give a damn about him. And he’s only doing things like that to piss you off. And I can’t say I blame him much because you’re being a complete ass. Why don’t you go on with Joey. I should be over at Justin’s later on.”

“Are you trying to get rid of me?”

“I’m trying to get you to cool off. Go swimming at Justin’s house or something. I really need to get this song done by the time I head over to Justin’s. I can’t use distractions, C. Please.”

“So I’m a distraction now?”

“You’ve always been a distraction to me, Jc. A good one.”

“Then it shouldn’t matter if I help you out down there.”

“You know any other time I would love nothing more than to have you help me out. But I don’t know what your issues are with Luis and it won’t work. I don’t understand what’s so different. I work with Justin, I’ve worked with lots of attractive single men before and you never acted like this.”

“You’ve never been caught kissing any of them.”

“Is this about the picture again?”

“You act as if it’s nothing.”

“That’s because it’s not, okay. I’ll go draw up a lawsuit tomorrow if that’s going to prove, over my word, that the damned picture is NOTHING.”

“Whatever, Jennise.” Jc said walking away from her into the foyer. She turned to go downstairs and flinched when she heard the front door slam making a loud noise throughout the house.

Eleven



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story