itefourteen Chapter Fourteen

Jenn was exhausted as she walked through the hallways of Jive Records. It had been a tough week. The beginning part of the week she had worked with Justin on six songs and she was proud of what they had accomplished. She couldn't wait for the album to be completed because she was truly proud of the man. She would never let him know that though. She knew that he had a great album in the works already and it was going to be hard to pick thirteen tracks out of all the tracks they had already recorded without counting the tracks that she still had to record with him. Though she really was tired she couldn't wait until all the madness Justin's album would bring. Whether it was an NSYNC album or a solo project all their lives were going to be affected.

She hadn't spent much time with Juliana and that she missed incredibly. She was her best friend. Her little sister. She had noticed the tension in the air at the Timberlake home but decided against butting in. She had her own domestic problems to deal with.

Jc had been basically out of sight ever since she told him she wouldn't stop working with Luis. They had both been walking around the house in silence for the past couple of days. He wasn't really speaking to her much and she was so angry that he was acting that way that she also didn't bother saying a word to him. She couldn't remember the last time they had made love. That worried her a bit because since before they had even gotten married they hadn't been able to keep their hands off each other. She didn't let that fact knock her down because again she let the anger of the whole situation take control. She wasn't really angry as much as she was hurt. How could after years, her husband not trust her? The past couple of days she knew that he had been working with Christina. The very newly divorced, flirty, single and looking, Ms. Aguilera. And had she been worried? No. Why? Because she trusted that he loved her and he wouldn’t do anything to hurt her. Why couldn't she get the same trust? What was going on with him?

Those where her thoughts when she entered the studio she would be working in for the most part of the day. She hoped the day went smooth because the constant sickness she was feeling wouldn’t go away. She was stressing too much and she knew that was the cause of her cold. She was going into the booth to turn everything on when she heard the door she had just come through open.

“Well good morning, Jenisse.” he said strolling into the room with a carrier containing two cups of what she assumed and wished were coffees from Starbucks.

“Jenn, Luis.” she corrected. “I have my fingers crossed hoping one of those cups is for me.”

“And if it isn't?” he asked playfully.

“Then somebody just lost one of the best producers he'll ever work with.” Jenn said with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

“Well I certainly wouldn’t want that.” Fonsi said placing the cup in front of her. “I can't loose my beautiful producer.”

The words he used and the way he said them made her tense up. She had a feeling it was going to be a long day but she looked up at him with another smile.

“Thanks for the coffee.” she said before sipping from the cup.

“I've missed being in the studio this past week.” Luis said.

She knew he was staring at her because she could feel his eyes on her. “I thought you recorded with Jon Secada last week.” Jenn said turning in the swivel chair to face him.

“I did. I brought the cd to have your feedback on the song.”

“So you DID record last week?”

“Yeah.”

“So why did you just say you missed it. Do you like being in the studio that much?”

“I said I missed BEING in the studio. I didn't say I didn't work. I simply meant I missed being in the studio with you.” he said making eye contact with her.

“Are you ready to warm up?” she asked turning the chair to face the control panel once again. “And I really hope that's a cup of tea you are drinking and not coffee.”

“With lots of lemon like you ordered.” he said with a chuckle. “Didn't you say your friend RJ was coming today?”

“Yes, he called me late last night that he was on his way from Vegas.” Jenn said “He'll be here later this afternoon to work on the track I told you about.”

“Okay, good.” he said pulling a chair closely next to her. “You know I never really learned what all these buttons are for.”

“That's why I'm the producers and you're the artist.” she said with a tight smile. He wasn't overly close to her but it made her nervous nonetheless. “ I know which buttons to press.”

“You sure do.” he said sipping from his cup of tea. “What are these for?” he asked pointing at a row of yellow buttons on the right hand side of the board.

“Those are for synchronizing.” the answer came from behind them. They both looked behind them to find Justin standing by the door. One eyebrow raised questioning the closeness of the chairs.

“What are you doing here, Timbersleep?” Jenn asked before turning to press a few buttons. “Juls said you were planning on sleeping all day when I stopped by your house this morning for my cds.”

“I needed to come here for something.” Justin said taking off his sweat shirt before he set it on the couch. “Mind if I sit in this session, Fonsi?”

“Not at all. How have you been, Justin? I haven't really had the chance to talk to you much.”

“I am doing good. I hear very good things about your album.”

“Oh yeah? From Jenisse?” he asked hopeful.

“Jenisse?” Justin questioned looking at her. No one ever called her that except for Jc and he waited for her to correct him.

“Jenn.” she said without looking at the men as she concentrated on setting up the board. Justin mentally gave her a pat on the back. Good girl.

“No, actually Lance mentioned a couple of things.” Justin said noticing the initial disappointment in Luis's eyes before it was completely gone. Justin was perhaps seeing what Jc had been talking about but just because Jc got a bad vibe didn't mean he automatically had to feel the same way. He had to give the guy the benefit of a doubt.

“Lance is a very nice guy. I am glad that Joey hooked me up with him.”

“You want to start warming up?” It wasn't much of a question but more of a demand as she said it.

“Sure.” Luis said getting up from his chair. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.” he said before leaving the room and going into the booth.

“Why are you here, Justin? I thought you wanted to take a day off?” she asked turning to look at him.

“I am taking the day off. I'm just here to listen.”

“Listen or watch?”

“Watch what?”

“Don't play dumb, Timberlake.”

“I don't have a clue as to what you are referring to, Logan.”

“Sure you don't.” she said rolling her eyes. She wasn't born yesterday and she could recognize a spy if she saw one. Justin was there because Jc couldn't be and that was a fact. She knew that Jc had somehow convinced Justin to keep an eye on her as if she was a child. The thought made her want to gut her husband. “Well if you are going to be here then you better sit your ass down on that chair and help me out.”

“I don't know what you are talking about with the watching business but sure I will help.” Justin said sitting on the chair Luis had been utilizing before arranging his side of the board.
-------------------------

He kept playing with his food as she watched him from across the table. It saddened her to see him this way but it also baffled her that he had chosen her. He still hadn't really explained that fact to her as of yet but he had been coming across town just to talk to her. She had learned long ago not to question Jc. You had to let him be.

“You think that chicken is molested enough?” she asked.

“I'm not really all that hungry.” he said finally setting the fork down on the plate. “I really should take you home now, I don't want to cause any problems.”

“You aren't causing any problems, Josh. I told you that I would be here for you if you ever needed me. So here I am.”

“I appreciate that but I think it was stupid of me to come to you.”

“Oh.” she said a bit hurt it. Apparently he noticed because he was quick to explain.

“Oh no, I didn't mean it that way. It's just that I feel guilty about it.”

“Why?”

“Because I'm married, B.”

“How does that fact make you feel guilty? We aren't doing anything we hadn't done before.” she said with a wink. “Except the sex part.”

“What?” he looked up at her.

“We aren't having sex, Jc. You shouldn't feel guilty about needing someone to talk to.”

“Yeah but not being honest with my wife in the mean time.”

“Then talk to her Jc. I'm not very close with Jenn but I know she loves you. I'm sure she would understand.”

“Yeah right. How can I explain to my wife that I'm driving across town almost every week for the past month to see my ex wife? And then tell her that we just talk.”

“That would be a fucked up conversation but I was talking about talking to her about how you feel. It shouldn't be hard.”

“Any conversation with Jenisse is hard nowadays, Bobbie.”

“You're the one that's making it hard, Josh. You're being paranoid.”

“Am I?”

“Yes. Just because it didn't work out between you and me doesn't mean the same thing will go down with Jenn.” she said a bit frustrated.

“How do you know that?” he asked. They were sitting outside of a restaurant where people surrounded them as they had their meals. “You cheated on me and broke my heart, what do you know?”

“Obviously you still haven't gotten over that after all these years.” she said sternly. “But you aren't going to come to ME with your problems and think it's okay to blame them one me, Jc. What we had was completely different from what you and Jenn have. If you don't stop being so god damned paranoid you're going to loose her just like I did.”

“You didn't lose me, Bobbie. You threw our relationship away.”

“And you don't think I know that. It took me a while but I learned from my mistakes. There's only so much a hurt person can take. Don't let that person be Jenn, Josh because you'll regret it.” she said grabbing her purse. “You can take me home now.”

“I'm sorry, Bobbie. I didn't mean to hurt your feeling.” Jc said placing his hand on hers as she grabbed her purse from the table. “I'm appreciative of the time you have spent listening to me. I really am. I'm just so out of it lately I can't see straight. Please don't be mad.”

“I'm not mad, Jc. I just want you to get out of this funk you're in because you're killing my sex life with Joel.” she laughed. “Every time we find free time in our busy schedules, you show up at our door.”

“Sorry about that,” he chuckled. “He’s going to have me killed.”

“He understands. He knows we’re just friends and you needed me.” she smiled up at him. “I really should get home though. I need to get my car and meet Joel at his office.”

“Again I'm really sorry I’ve kept you from your plans today.” Jc said getting up after paying for their lunch.

“No problem, you know I'm a good listener and I'm here whenever you need me and …” she stopped to answer her cell phone. “Oh hi babe. Yeah Jc is taking me home now. I should be there in about ten minutes. Yeah at the Grapevine. Yeah. Are you sure? Okay, I’ll wait. See ya.” she said before flipping her cell phone closed. “Joel is picking me up. He left early. Go home to your wife, Jc.”

“I’ll talk to you soon.” he said after he walked with her to the valet area. He gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek before getting into his car and driving away.

“Gotcha.” the man with the camera across the street said before he hopped into his SUV and drove into traffic.

-----------------------------------

Trace walked up to the door with Andie hand in hand. He didn't know exactly what had possessed him to agree to be there but a promise was a promise. He always prided himself in keeping his word, at least when it came to his brothers. He couldn't really say the same about the women in his life.

Trace had called Lance to see if he wanted to go with him to check out some office spaces for the new Fumanskeeto offices two days earlier . Lance had agreed wanting to get out of the office for a while.

Trace made a promise to Justin that he wouldn’t mention the magazine they had found to Lance. And he hadn't, although he was dying to actually show him the magazine. He didn't think Lance would care about the magazine, he wanted him to know because if Trace knew Lance, it would be a matter of time before he made a move for Noemi. And because he knew Lance, he knew that he was going to charm his way into Noemi’s life. That fact meant that sooner than later a picture of them together would emerge and then the magazine will come to light.

Juliana being the only person able to bribe magazine editors, had looked into the magazine issue and found that the issue of Hustler was only in the market for two days before it was yanked off the shelves and a lawsuit emerged. Juliana hadn't been able to get more details about the lawsuit but the men had a feeling that the lawsuit had something to do with the cover girl.

Trace did find the perfect space for the Fumanskeeto offices very easily that day. On the first floor of the building where Freelance was located, he’d found that a space was empty and not available. With Lance’s business antics he’d gotten the place without trouble.

To show his appreciation, Trace had said he’d do anything for Lance in return. His big mouth had landed him in front of the Ruiz home with Andie and an invite to Disney Land for Sean and his mom.

Going by what Lance had mentioned about Noemi speaking badly about him he definitely thought it was a bad idea. But he’d promised and he was a man of his word. Sometimes.

He rang the doorbell and waited.

“Remember what I told you, Andie.” he said to the little girl.

“Uncle Lance isn't coming. Got it.” she said placing her index finger over her mouth.

“Yeah, try not to mention Uncle Lance at all, okay?”

“Okay Uncle Trace. I think someone is coming.” Andie said when she heard someone turning the knob inside the door. “Hi” she said in her most adorable voice.

“Hello there cutie.” Noemi said bending down to touch Andie’s curls. “Kayla isn't here.” she said looking at Trace.

“We aren't looking for Kayla actually.”

“What do you want?”

“We came to see Sean.” Andie offered.

“Is that right?” Noemi said giving Andie a sincere smile.

“Uncle Trace is taking me to Disney and I wanted Sean to come too. Can he? Can he come with us?” Andie begged in the most pathetic voice she could muster.
She was incredible and Trace was impressed.

“Oh I don't know sweetie. He’s getting ready to go to Karate in a few minutes.” Noemi said to the little girl but not before rolling her eyes at Trace.

“Puhleez?” Andie begged again. Trace had to cover his mouth in order not to cheer her on.

“Mommy can I get….” Sean said coming to the door. When he saw Andie, his eyes lit up and he smiled. “Hi, Andie.”

“Hi.” Andie said with a smile. “Do you want to go to Disney with us?”

“Disney Land?” Sean questioned his mother. “Can I mom? Please?”

“Didn't you want tog go to Karate today?”

“Not more than Disney. Mom, Please?” he begged his mother.

“Who else is going on this trip?” Noemi asked Trace who had been standing by the rose bushes.

“Just me and Andie. He'll be okay with me, Noemi. Justin and Juls wouldn’t trust just anyone with their daughter.” Trace said.

“Sean doesn't go anywhere without me. Would it be a problem if I came too?”

“Fantastic!! Even better!!” Trace said uncrossing his fingers from behind his back. “ I have a hard time taking Andie to the ladies room.”

“Let’s get you changed, Sean.” she said to her son.

“Yay!!” he said excitedly before running inside the house.

“Do you want to come in, Andie?” Noemi asked. Trace had to role his eyes at that.

“I’ll wait here for Uncle Trace.” Andie said with a smile. “Thank you.”

“We’ll be right out, Juan.” she said walking into the house.

“It's Trace.” Trace said before the door closed on his face.

“That was a piece of pie.” Andie giggled.

“Piece of cake, sweetie.” Trace said with a laugh. “You did really good. Remind me to get you a huge stuffed animal at Disney.

“Okay” Andie giggle. Trace laughed because he knew Andie wouldn’t forget to remind him.

-----------------------------

Justin walked into the studio several hours later. He carried two cans of soda, a tuna sandwich and a bag of chips while trying to keep his cell phone to his ear with his shoulder. “Why did you let Trace and Lance take Andie on a scheme?” he asked the person on the other end. “Yeah, Whatever, Juls. I’ll be home later.” he said flipping his phone off.

“Is she coming over?” Jenn asked grabbing her tuna sandwich from his hand.

“No.” he said opening his can of soda.

“Ooookay.” she said. “Aren’t you going to eat?”

“I'm not hungry. I just got a soda and chips.” he said showing her both items as if she had been blind to them.

“Timberlake, not hungry? Where’s Justin and what have you done to him?”

“Funny.” he simply stated popping chips in his mouth before talking with his mouth full. “Mom is at the house she’s making us dinner.”

“Eww, you're nasty. Didn't Lynn teach you not to talk with your mouth full?”

“Nope.” he said showing her the goo in his mouth once again. “Where did Fonsi go?” he asked after taking a swig of his soda.

“He went to make a phone call.”

“Probably to have you fired.” Justin laughed.

“Shut up.” Jenn said taking another bite of her tuna sandwich.

“I thought Jc was bad. But you take the cake. You're a bitch in here.” Justin said grabbing her sandwich out of her hand, taking a bite and handing it back to her.

“I thought you weren’t hungry.” she said before continuing to eat. “It's not my fault he isn't getting the concept of the story I want to tell with this song.”

“Yes it is your fault. Yelling at him the way you do. I’d be afraid to sing too.” Justin joked before sitting behind the keyboard that he'd been messing with during the day.

“No you wouldn’t.” she said holding her can of soda out for Justin to open. When he did just that, without words spoken, she continued. “Some people need a little encouragement.”

“Tough love?”

“Yeah, you can say that.” she said finishing her sandwich.

“Hungry much? PIG.” he said with a chuckle.

“I didn't have breakfast. You shouldn't talk, Timber-blob.” she said taking a sip out of her soda. “What the hell is taking him sooo…”

“I'm back. Sorry.” Luis said entering the booth. “I'm ready.”

“So am I.” Jenn said turning back to the control booth. “I’ve been ready since nine this morning but someone doesn't get it.” she said under her breath.

“B I T C H” Justin mumbled behind her.

“Shut up.” she said out loud.

“I didn't say anything.” Luis said from inside the booth.

“Not you, Luis. I was talking to myself. You want to try the beginning bars again?”

“Sure.”

When he started singing off key again Justin started humming the Halloween theme from the chair next to her. She was having a hard time trying to get Luis to sound the way she heard it in her mind. Justin wasn't helping her mood either.

“No. No. And no.” she said frustrated into the microphone before stopping the track. “I need you to sound softer.”

“I'm sorry, Jenisse. I'm a bit frustrated.”

“It's Jenn, Damnit!! And exactly how do you think I feel? We’ve been at this for seven hours. RJ had to leave because of how long this was taking for God sakes!!”

“The B I T C H makes a comeback.” Justin whispered turning on the chair so Luis wouldn’t see him.

“Arghhh.” she said taking a deep breath, rolling her eyes at Justin before calmly saying “Luis, I want to get the feeling of longing. Like you’ve met this incredible woman and you just can't imagine yourself without her. You can't breath without her. She’s everything.”

“Deep.” Justin commented still facing away from Luis. Jenn quickly kicked him underneath. “Ouch!!” he said rubbing his leg.

“Okay I can try again.” Fonsi said a bit frustrated himself. He was having a hard time singing that day mainly because Justin was there. Couldn’t they leave Jenn and him to work alone? Was that so hard to manage?

“Whoa!!! Stop!!” Justin said stopping the track himself that time. Jenn slammed her head down on the control panel repeatedly.

“I'm sorry guys, I'm just not getting it.” Luis apologized taking his headphones off and slamming them against the floor. “I need to hear it. Why don't you give me something to go by, Justin?”

“I didn't write the song. Hold on a sec, man.” Justin said setting the booth on mute so he could talk to Jenn. “Why don't you go in there and show him how to sing it?”

“I'm not a vocal coach, Justin.” Jenn said continuing to slam her head repeatedly.

“So what? You wrote the song.”

“So what? I'm not singing for the simple fact that he should know this. I shouldn't have to sing in order for him to get it.” Jenn said annoyed that Justin was taking his
side. “How he managed to put out two Spanish albums is beyond me. This is a disaster I should have never told the label we would record this song. I shouldn't have picked this song.”

“Jenn, I know you're tired believe me so am I. But I have never seen you give up. You picked this song because you know he can sing it to its best. You know how hard it is to record a song from scratch without a demo. Give him a break, will ya?”

“I really can't stand you.” she said flicking his ear as she got up from her seat and went around him toward the booth. “I'm only doing this once, Luis. Once.” she said grabbing the headphone from the floor and putting them on.

“Thank you.” Luis said leaving the booth to take Jenn’s seat next to Justin.

“You ready?” Justin asked from the control booth. When Jenn gave him a thumbs up he turned to Luis. “Listen to the melody.”

Right click ‘Save as’ to listen to Jenn sing “Imagine Me Without You“.

Even Justin had to gasp at what he heard. Once again he found himself wondering why Jenn was in the wrong field. She should have been singing for a living.

One take.

One take was all it took for Luis to realize what she had been trying to get him to do for seven hours. She was amazing, he thought. She looked beautiful standing there with her eyes closed while she sang the words in perfect harmony. He was completely in awe of her. He was mesmerized. He was enchanted. He was being burnt to a crisp by a stare with such intensity that he had to blink away the feeling. He looked next to him where the feeling had come from to find Justin eye to eye with him.

“What?” was the only thing he could say. The disapproval in Justin’s eyes was evident and it didn't fail to intimidate him a bit. Just a bit, though because he then gave Justin a cocky smile. The loyalty between these people is incredible. Wonder what it would take to break it? Luis thought.

“Get it now?” Justin asked and Luis didn't miss the tremendous amount of tension in the room at that moment.

“Yeah I get it.” Luis said getting up from the chair.

“Good.” Justin said turning to give Jenn a signal that it was okay for her to come out of the booth. She stopped to write something on the sheet containing the lyrics to the song and that gave Justin a chance to say one more thing. “She’s taken. Got that, Luis?”

“What?” Luis said before opening the door to the booth.

“You heard me.” Justin said not bothering to look up from where he was finishing up the recording of Jenn’s demo.

“Whatever you say.” Luis said going into the booth to talk to Jenn.

After working for another hour, Jenn looked pleased for the first time that day.

“Much, much better.” she said with a sincere smile toward Fonsi. “It only took all day but finally I am happy.”

“Thank God!!” Justin yawned.

“Thanks for the help, Justin.” Luis said.

“Yeah.” Justin simply stated. Jenn looked back and forth out of the corner of her eyes at the men. She decided that it had a been along day and she was hearing things. She really didn't hear the tension in Justin’s voice as he talked to Luis. Maybe she really wasn't getting the same feeling from Justin that she got from Jc when Luis was around. No, it couldn't be that because Justin was a leader not a follower. Justin wouldn’t follow Jc’s lead toward despising her client. It wasn't true. Not at all. No way. Could it?

Fifteen


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story