In The End (You Never Know Trilogy)  

Chapter Three

**Ignore that it's Valentine's Day. We'll just leave that holiday out of this one. k? k.**

February 14th 2009 (Saturday)

 Jenn could feel his eyes on her from across the room. She had been trying to be cool and not flip out on him about the staring but it was getting to a point where it was becoming annoying. One thing is to meet someone and think they are attractive another was to know they are married and happily so, and still sit there and stare at someone trying to get their attention. Especially when the other person is not one bit interested. That’s the situation Jenn found herself in at the moment. She was sitting in one of the sofas outside the studio sending text messages to her husband and her best friend. She saw him laughing at something Joey said out of the corner of her eye. By the time she finished putting in the last of her message into her two-way to RJ she didn’t even notice him standing over her.

“You busy?” he asked hesitantly.

“Oh no, where’s Joey?”

“He had things to do. He left.”

“Ohh, I thought he was staying today.”

“He was but Kelly needed a ride. I was just wondering if you were ready to go inside?”

“Are they done in the studio?” Jenn asked cleaning up the wrapper from her sandwich and the chips from the couch.

“Yeah they are done. I never got to thank you for yesterday.” he said helping her clean up some of the stray chips before they went under the cushions.

“Thank me for what?” Jenn asked standing up. She had to admit that he was an attractive guy. Attractive in a Joey kind of way. If that made sense. He was nowhere near JC ATTRACTIVE but then that was probably her biased opinion. But he was cute none the less.

“For spending those few hours with me and writing.”

“Well I don’t see why you should be thanking me, but you’re welcome. I think you should really be thanking Jive records for paying me the big bucks to be here this weekend to work with you.” Jenn said smiling at him without seeming flirty. “You should be honored, they don’t spend this much money on new artists.”

“Ohh, so you’re saying that if Jive wasn’t paying you the big bucks that you wouldn’t have worked with me?” he asked as they entered the recording area of the studio.

“Ohh no I didn’t mean it like that. I probably would have worked with you anyway, because Joey has nothing but good things to say about you. But if I’m getting paid to do a job I love, why not? Are you ready or do you still need to warm up?” Jenn asked sitting behind the control booth getting her things out of her bag.

“Yeah I’ll go into the booth to do my vocals.”

“Five minutes.” Jenn said looking at the time on the clock above the studio door. “I should have everything set up by then. I’ve worked in this studio before so I know my way around.”

“You really are a drill sergeant, Jennise.” Fonsi laughed.

“Joey needs to stop talking all that shit.” she said already knowing why he made that comment.

“You don’t waste anytime, do you? Yesterday you said you wanted to write for three hours. And at exactly three hours on the dot, you were done. You’re amazing.”

“Thank you. That is why, my friend, they pay me the big bucks.” Jenn said with a chuckle. “Four minutes to warm up that voice of yours, Fonsi.”

“Yes sergeant!!” Fonsi saluted her and put on the headphones he had with him.

 Jenn pressed a couple more buttons and put in a CD of tracks RJ had made specially for Jenn to use with Fonsi. Jenn and RJ had started a production company two years before. He should have been with her in Orlando at the moment but he was in Vegas visiting his parents and hers for that matter. Jenn was so caught up in her thoughts that she wasn’t listening to the singing going on inside the booth. She listened to his voice and all she could think about was how good his voice was going to sound singing her words.

“Hey!!” Fonsi said into the microphone in front of him. He had been singing one of his old spanish songs to warm up. When he turned around and saw Jenn staring at him with a smile on her pretty face he couldn’t help but wish she was someone else. Someone who wasn’t married to his best friends ‘brother’.

“Oh sorry. I was spacing out. Your voice is really beautiful.” Jenn said standing to hand him the sheets with the lyrics he would need to sing.

“Thank you but you sound surprised. I thought you listened to my singing before, Jennise.” Fonsi said as she turned to walk out of the room.

“First of all call me, Jenn. That’s what everyone calls me. And yes of course I’ve heard you sing before. But only in recording. When I can hear the beauty from someone singing live, it makes my job a lot easier. Less tweaking.”

“What do you mean?”

“Umm okay. When you can sing like you do live without the help of certain button I press on that control board, I can better arrange the song. For example I’ve worked with artists, whom I won’t mention, that needed me to fix a couple of things in their voices that could only be done digitally.” Jenn explained. “but others I’ve worked with make my job easy as hell. Justin is one of those people. He actually sounds better live than on record. Jc is the same way. All the members of Nsync for that matter. Beyonce, Christina and plenty others. All I have to do is arrange it so that your voice sounds just as perfect on record. In the end making my job EASIER.”

“So you’re saying I might be one of the easy ones?”

“I’m saying that you are. I can tell just by the way you sang that song you were just singing.”

“Well thank you.”

“Don’t thank me, thank…”

“Yeah I know. Jive. Thank Jive.”

“Actually I was going to tell you to thank your parents for blessing you with those vocal chords. Now lets get to work on this thing. We only have two hours in here today and four tomorrow.”

“And you like to keep your schedule, right?”

“That’s right. Time is money. And I got Timberlake waiting in L.A. for me.”

“Is Jive paying you the big bucks for working with Justin also?” Fonsi asked arranging the sheets in front of him.

“That’s a personal question.” Jenn saw him raise his head embarrassed. “No, I’m kidding. Jive doesn’t pay me to work with Justin. I do it for free. At times I feel like I should be the one paying to be allowed to work with him. He’s amazing.”

“Is that so?”

“Yup. I can’t wait to go home on Tuesday to start working with him. And if you ever tell him that I’ll kill you.” she laughed.

“Are you working on Jc’s albums too?” That question made Jenn look up at him.

“Huh?” she asked baffled.

“Joey told me the other day that Jc was doing an album after Justin’s.”

“Oh.” Jenn said a bit shocked. “Jc is a perfectionist and unfortunately so am I, so I might just let him do it on his own. Enough chatting, major. We have some work to do.”

 Why was she hearing about this from someone else?Why was she hearing about her husbands plans all the way across the continent? The question kept grinding into her mind during the whole recording session.

“Are you sure you told Joey to pick you up?” Jenn asked Fonsi who was waiting outside the studio.

“Yeah. I called him and he said he’s stuck in traffic with my car. He had to go to Chris’ house in Miami to pick up Kelly.”

“Why did he take your car?” Jenn asked getting her car keys out of her purse.

“He said his truck was getting a tune up. I’m going to strangle him.”

“Well just call him and tell him to meet you at home. I can give you a ride if you’d like.” Jenn figured ‘why not?’ it was a simple ride home. He wouldn’t think anything romantically with that gesture. Right? Right.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be sure?”

“I don’t know. Isn’t Joey’s house out of your way to the hotel?”

“Hotel? I don’t stay in a hotel. I stay at my house. Didn’t you know Jc and I have a house in Orlando?”

“I thought Joey told me you guys sold that house.”

“Come on.” Jenn said starting to walk towards her Jaguar. “We sold the  house he had with Bobbie to Tiff and Tyler. In reality we gave it to them because a seven bedroom, five bathrooms, a pool and guesthouse for ten thousand, is a giveaway. Anyway, we bought a house not too far from Joey and Kelly’s. I’m surprised you didn’t know that.”

“No I didn’t. Joey and I mostly try to catch up about music and the old days when we’re together. And when he comes down to Tampa to visit we try to catch up in what we can. But no, he didn’t mention you lived so close.”

“Jc and I only plan on living in the house in the summer and when we have work down here, really.”

“That’s cool.”

“I’ve been trying to finish both studios. We have a studio in L.A. and a studio here. We designed both of them so they are identical. After the contractors finished I didn’t like the colors on the wall. So now I’m trying to get both of them done.”

“Why do you want identical studios?”

“I don’t know. We’re weird like that. I guess I work best in my own environment.”

“You would of never guessed. You’re talented. I don’t think your talent is limited to a room.”

“Why, thank you.” Jenn said giving him a sincere smile.

“You’re very welcome.”

 It took Jenn almost half an hour to make the trip from the studio to Joey’s house. The rain had calmed down a bit by the time she pulled up to Joey’s driveway.

“I will see you mañana.” Jenn said extending her hand out to Fonsi for him to shake. Instead Fonsi leaned over and gave her the typical Puertoriquen kiss on the cheek. Jenn was shocked during the millisecond the kiss took.

“Nos vemos mañana.” Fonsi said not even phased that he’d kissed her cheek. He was so accustomed to give every female friend of his a kiss, that it kind of came naturally. He didn’t think she would mind, so he brushed it off as being okay. He’d seen Joey and even Justin give her a kiss hello before. He stepped out of the car and quickly made his way to the front door without looking back.

 Across the street the man backed away from the bushes. In his right hand he carried a big zoom lense. On his left hand he carried the camera that the lense had been attached to seconds before. He smiled proudly to himself. He now had a story to print on Monday. And a picture to prove whatever it was that he would make up.
 
 

----------------------------------------

 February 16th 2009 (Monday)

 Lance walked down the long corridor of his office Monday afternoon. He had been at meetings all day and he couldn’t wait to finish his day. He’d decided it was time for a break from it all. He would finish off the day with a conference call he had to have with Fonsi and the Jive execs and he would sit around and do absolutely nothing for eight days. His main plan was to not plan anything. He had been working nonstop for two years. Two years in which he’d gained a higher name for himself and lost a relationship. The way he saw it, he figured if a relationship of five years couldn’t handle career changes then maybe it wasn’t meant to be. Or maybe he was just a bit bitter. The latter was more like it. He thought miserably.

“What are you still doing in this building?” Bleechet, his assistant of one year asked.

“One more call and I’m done. Are you sure you’re going to be able to handle all this mess on your own?” Lance asked a bit preoccupied. He knew he could count on Bleechet to take care of everything, but he was worried to say the least.

“Lance, seriously. Give me some credit here. I can do it. And I swear to God if I get just one call from you while you’re on vacation or even see your face. I will burn this place down. So help me God.” Bleechet said with a serious look on her face.

“You wouldn’t do that.” Lance said dialing on his speaker phone.

“Try me. Get your ass out of here, Bass.” she said leaving him to do his conference.

 An hour later Lance said his goodbye to Fonsi and the Jive big wigs and let out a sigh of relief. That was it. That was the last thing he would do work related for the next eight days. Absolutely positively nothing to do for the next one hundred and ninety two hours. What the hell am I going to do with myself? He asked himself.

 First he wanted to get something to eat. But to eat alone wasn’t an option. He’d already talked to Jc that morning and he said he would be in the studio all day with Justin. Maybe they’ll be hungry. Well he knew Justin would be because he always was. He decided to stop by Juls and Justin’s house just to hang out. He hadn’t realized how long it had been since he'd last just hung out with his friends. He missed them. It had been a while since he’d spent playtime with Andie. So yes, it was time to just go and hang out.

 He pulled up to Justin and Juls’ gate and put in his code after having to think about it almost five minutes. He really needed to stop working so much and spend time with his friends when he couldn’t even remember his code to get into their houses.

 I hope Juls made some food today. Lance thought to himself as he walked towards the front door. Without a knock he walked into the quiet house. Quiet and Timberlake usually never went together in the same sentence. Quiet in the Timberlake household usually meant they were sleeping or dead. As he listened more closely he could hear music faintly coming from the studio downstairs. He also heard pages being turned. The pages sounded closer than the music though. The kitchen.

“If you make one sound and wake up my daughter you’re staying with her all day, Bass." Juls said from the kitchen.

“Hello to you too, Juls.” Lance said entering the kitchen.

“Hey there sweetie. Long time no see. What are you doing out of the office at this time of night?” she asked kissing his cheek.

“I just thought I’d come hang out.” Lance said going into the refrigerator.

“What is it with you guys and that damn fridge? And you do realize you just said you were hanging out, right?”

“That’s what I said.”

“Since when do you hang out, Mr. Uptight in a Suit?”

“Since today, Juliana. I’m taking the next couple of days off.” Lance said finally deciding he didn’t want anything from the refrigerator.

“Lance Bass, is actually taking a day off?” Juls asked dramatically.

“Correction. Eight days off. Is there any food in this house?” Lance asked looking through the cabinets.

“Eight whole days? Good for you, Bass. And no there isn’t anything to eat right now. I’m waiting for J to finish downstairs, then we’re going grocery shopping. Having Trace here without food to shut him up, is not possible.”

“Trace is here?” Lance asked a bit surprised.

“Yeah, he got here on Friday. He’s downstairs with Jc and Justin.”

“I didn’t know he was coming.”

“How would you know Lance, you’re never around anymore. I was surprised to hear you went out to lunch with C the other day.”

“Yeah I know. And let me tell you that it’s always a pleasure talking to you.” Lance said with a cocky smile.

“How are things going with Laurie?” Juls asked setting the magazine down.

“They’re not.”

“I’m sorry Lance.”

“Don’t be. It’s alright. I guess it wasn’t going to work out anyway.”

“I think you guys could of if you’d tried a bit harder.”

“Easy to say. Hard to do. It’s alright I think it was time for us to move on.”

“I’m hungry!!” Trace said loudly coming into the kitchen. “Hey there, Bass-turd.” he said to Lance.

“Trace!!” Juls said menacingly.

“Oops sorry. I forgot she was still sleeping.” Trace said apologetically. “How you doing man? Long time no see.”

“I just saw you at Justin’s party, Trace.” Lance said looking at the magazine Juls had.

“That was a week ago buddy. What are you doing out of the office?”

“Is everyone going to ask me that for the next couple days?” Lance asked to no one in particular.

“ARE YOU SAYING YOU’RE ON VACATION?!!” Trace asked loudly.

“Yeah, that’s what I said.” Lance responded.

“Thank God!!” Trace yelled again. “Ouch!!” he said when he felt a banana hit him in the head.

“I told you about waking up Andie in the middle of her sleep. Don’t fuck with me, Trace!!” Juls warned.

“Damn, I’m sorry. Guess what Lance?” Trace said almost in a whisper.

“What?”

“I'M ON VACATION TOO!!”

“Alright that’s it. You guys gotta go. Go be on vacation together. Get the hell out of my house before you wake up my daughter and I’ll have to kill you.” Juls said shoving both of them towards the door.

“Alright geez!!” Trace said as he was pushed.

“I was about to leave to get food anyway!!” Lance said with a laugh.

“Yeah, go do that. And bring us something.” Juls said closing the door behind them.

“You kick us out and you have the nerve to ask us to bring you food?” Trace said from outside the door.

“That’s right!!” Juls said opening the door to face both of them.

“You’re lucky, you’re fine!!” Trace responded before walking away following Lance. “Justin’s car or yours, Lance?”

“Mine.” Lance said before turning to give Juls a fake dirty look.

“Ohh that little attitude of yours that you’ve picked up lately does not suit you, Lance!!” Juls yelled to him.

“Mommy?”

“Great!! I’m in the kitchen, baby girl!!” Juls yelled out.
 

*****************************************

--Same day--

“Let’s go in there. Justin and I ate there before. It’s really good.” Trace pointed to the small diner.

“I’m not eating in there.” Lance said.

“Why not?”

“The service sucks!!”

“No it doesn’t. they treated Justin and I just fine the last time we went there.”

“Last time I went there, which was last week. The waitress ignored whatever I had to say about my order and flirted with Jc instead.”

“Ohh that’s not bad service. She just had good taste.” Trace said with a laugh.

“Ha-ha.” Lance said sarcastically.

“Seriously man, I want to go eat in there. Besides any other place around here has too many fuckers with cameras. And I know all three J’s like their cheese burgers. We could bring them back one.”

“Whatever. I just hope that chick isn’t there because I might not be so nice this time. She’s weird.”

“So what you’re really saying is that you like her.” Trace said getting out of the car once Lance parked.

“Are you dense? Where in what I said did I say I liked the woman?”

“It’s not what you said per say. It’s how you said it.”

“Not that I have to explain myself to you. But I don’t ‘like her’. I think she’s rude and obnoxious.”

“So you do like her!!” Trace laughed.

“She is cute.” Lance laughed. “And she did wink at me. Of course she did wink at me after she was a total bitch.”

“So she likes you too. Way to go, Bass-turd.”

“Shut up with the name calling. It’s immature. And huh? What do you mean she likes me?”

“It just seems to me like you spend way too much time in that office of yours and can’t tell when a woman ‘likes’ you.”

“And it seems to me that you’re spending too much time in school getting high with the college jocks. You’re becoming delusional.”

“Whatever. Let’s go in here and embarrass you in front  of this ‘chick’ you are talking about.”

“I hope she rips you a new one when you try to talk to her.” Lance mumbled.

“What?”

“Nothing. Nothing at all.”

 Lance was relieved and Trace disappointed when they walked into the diner and the girl wasn’t there. While they ate greasy cheeseburgers and fries they talked about everything. From the classes that Trace was taking to the new artists Lance had signed. They talked about Laurie and Trace’s many ‘girlfriends’ as well. When they finished eating they sat around waiting for the three cheeseburgers they had ordered for the J’s and some chicken nuggets for Andie. They were now having a conversation about business plans they were both going to do when two women walked into the diner. Both of them rushed past the two guys and through the kitchen door.

“In a rush, anyone?” Trace said picking up one of the napkins that had fallen off the table when the girl rushed past.

“That was my friend. The evil waitress.” Lance said without a glance at Trace who he’s figured would have an evil grin on his face.

“Is that right? Tell me Lance, how did you managed to catch a glimpse of her when she went past here like a bat out of hell? I’ll tell you how. You were just waiting for her to come in.”

“Again I address to you. Huh?”

“How did you see her and all I saw was the napkin falling?”

“Don’t be so disappointed. There she is.” Lance said pointing casually to the brunette coming out of the swinging kitchen door.

“She’s….” Trace started to say but was completely shocked and speechless to see the person coming out behind the brunette. He smiled to himself before he quietly raised his hands to the ceiling in thanks. He got up from his seat leaving Lance a bit confused and nervous about what Trace was up to. Trace walked over to the counter. He leaned over near to the woman bending down to get something from the shelves under the counter.

“Well I guess IT IS a small world after all.” he said loudly causing the girl to look up stunned. With her mouth gaping open in shock.

“What are you doing here. Juan?”

four



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story