In The End by Lynn (You Never Know Trilogy)  

**** I’m going to start excluding dates soon because I’m confusing myself here .. lol Enjoey!!*****

Chapter Five

February 17th 2009
(Tuesday) 6:30pm (LAX Airport)

 Jenn couldn’t wait to get out of the confining space of the plane. On her lap sat the New York Post. She had been thinking non-stop about what Fonsi had mentioned to her on Saturday. The fact that her husband was planning on recording an album and she was the last to know, kept eating at her brain.

 So there she was thinking about what her opening line to that specific conversation would be. She had to be careful about how she worded what she wanted to say to Jc. If she said something in a certain way she knew the conversation would be over. And that wasn’t what she was in the mood for she was in a mood for a deep discussion. Jc wouldn’t be. Either he would walk away from her or yell until he couldn’t anymore. But of course that particular conversation would come later. Way later, when they were done discussing the cover of The Post. Being on the cover of the Post wasn’t a big deal in the past week because Justin had announced he would start recording with them. But this time it was different. This time she was on the cover apparently kissing another man. This time, things were a bit, okay a lot, personal. This time her husband would flip out.

“Thank you for flying American Airlines. Welcome to Los Angeles. Enjoy your stay.” was heard from the pilot over the speaker system.

“Thank God!!” Jenn said stretching.

“Thank God indeed.”

“Let’s get out of here before people from coach block the exit. I’m starting to feel claustrophobic.”

“You know  I think you’re worried about this too much.”

“You obviously don’t know my husband very well.” Jenn said finally stepping out of the plane and into the walkway towards the terminal.

“You’re right, I don’t really know him personally. But if Jc is anything like Joey has described him to me over the years. I think everything will be alright.”

“Hopefully you’re right, Fonsi.” Jenn said as they reached the end of the terminal and into the waiting are. Sitting on the first seat of the first row, sat Jc. “But you aren’t right at all.”

“Maybe I should of taken another flight.” Fonsi whispered when he saw that Jc didn’t look very happy to see him walking out of the plane with his wife.

“Missed you.” Jenn said hugging Jc as soon as she reached him.

“Hey.” Jc said standing up which made Jenn hang two inches off the floor. His simple words continued to give her butterflies in her stomach till that day.

“I ended up having company on the flight. Fonsi had to fly to L.A. for a last minute Jive thing.” Jenn said with a cautious smile.

“How are you man?” Jc asked shaking Fonsi’s hand.

“I’m doing good. Long time no see. How’s the record going?” Jenn waited for Jc’s response.

“What record?” Jc asked Fonsi trying to avoid eye contact with Jenn.

“You know the one you’re recording after Justin releases his?!” Jenn said with a fake smile towards her husband.

“Umm it’s going okay. As far as planning goes.” Jc said as all three walked down the terminal.

“That’s good. Maybe I can stop by your house while Justin is recording. I‘d love to watch you guys work with him. If you wouldn’t mind that is.” Fonsi asked stopping when they got to the sidewalk outside the airport. Andre stood there waiting for Jc’s return.

“Yeah it’s alright. Maybe you can work with Jc on the album he’s planning on recording all by himself too.” Jenn was beginning to get in the mood for a fight. She walked over to Andre, patted his stomach and got in the big Suburban.

“Look man, I know you’ve probably seen the paper already. I just want to let you know that it’s totally not what it looks like.” Fonsi said apologetically.

“All I’ll say is that she‘s all I’ve got. I will go to the depths of hell before I loose her. I’ll see you around, Fonsi.” Jc said as he followed Jenn into the SUV.

 The ride over to their house was a bit tense to say the least. Jenn wanted to rip him a new one for keeping her in the dark about his plans. What pissed her off the most wasn’t that he was recording, because she had suggested it before. But the fact that she’d heard the news from practically a stranger. In another state. In another time zone for God sakes!!

 Jc knew that Jenn was pissed. He honestly couldn’t’ care less at the moment. What he did care about was the picture plastered on the cover of the post. What was his reaction supposed to be when his wife was kissing another man? Things were going to be a bit steamy when they got home. Steamy in a not so good way. That was for damned sure. Recording with Justin will go smoothly, tonight!
 
 

*************************************

Same Night
7:15pm

“Are you seriously fidgeting?”

“I’m not fidgeting at all.” Kayla said defensively.

“I thought you didn’t really like this guy? Why are you so nervous?”

“I never said I didn’t like him. I told you he was annoying.”

“And you like annoying?” Noemi asked with an eyebrow raised.

“He’s annoying in a cute way. And if you ever let him know that, I will disown you as my cousin.”

“I‘m shaking in my pants. If you like the guy then go for it. What’s the big deal?”

“The big deal is that I have a lot of things going on right now and a relationship in the process of it all is probably not a good idea. It wasn’t in the plan.”

“Your problem is that you plan too much. You need to relax and have some fun. You’re twenty-four and you act like you’re fifty-five.”

“You should talk. You haven’t taken a guy seriously since Sean was born. That’s almost five years.”

“And what exactly are we doing tonight? I mean I plan on having fun. Don’t you?” Noemi asked as she took a small box out from under the counter at the diner.

“I know that I’m waiting for my date. You, on the other hand, like to play with guy’s emotions.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Exactly what I said. You’re going on a date with Lance tonight and he seems like a nice guy. You play your little “I’m a bitch and you like it role.” then you’re going to let him fall for you. He’ll fall for you, like every other man in your life then you’ll make him a victim like the rest of them.”

“Well here comes the victim and his friend now.” Noemi said with an attitude. She knew her cousin was right.

 For the past five years she couldn’t count the guys she had gone out with. Each and everyone of them was pushed away the minute they tried to get close to her.

 When Noemi was twenty-one she’d met the man of her dreams. He’d gotten her pregnant, ended her career, and disappeared. Turned out he was the man of her nightmares instead. She hadn’t seen Alexander Meza in five years. She wanted to keep it that way. Soon after Sean was born she’d decided that being in love was not her thing. But to have fun with guys she didn’t need to fall in love. At all. Right? She was just out to have some fun, even if it was at the guy’s expense.

“Be nice, Noemi.” Kayla whispered as she went to open the door for Trace and Lance.

“Hey,” Trace said looking at Kayla with a cheesy smile. “You look gorgeous.”

“Thank you.” Kayla said blushing against her will.

“Ohh I was talking to Noemi.” Trace joked.

“Remind me again why agreed to this?” Kayla asked Lance. “nice to see you again, Lance.”

“Same to you. And you do look gorgeous.” Lance said with a sweet smile. He didn’t want to be there but at least Kayla would be nice. Her cousin, Noemi on the other hand wasn’t so nice. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Noemi walking towards him. She was without a doubt beautiful but the attitude killed almost every trace of it.

“This is for you. I was forced. You should thank Kayla.” Noemi said approaching Lance with a box.

“Is it a bomb?” Lance said taking it as she extended the box to him.

“Couldn’t find one to fit my budget. I decided to go with the basics.” Noemi said turning to grab her jacket from one of the booths.

“Is your cousin always this nice?” Lance asked Kayla sarcastically.

“Always.” she said with a wink. “She’s a good person. Just give her a chance.”

“Yeah right.” Lance said already wishing the night was over as he opened the diner’s door again.

“You ladies ready?” Trace asked. He extended his hand out to Kayla. Instead of taking his hand Kayla took Lance’s hand and pulled him out towards the car.

“Funny!! Very Funny!!” Trace said laughing sarcastically. He waited for Noemi to lock the diner’s door and walked over to the car.

“So where are we going?” Noemi asked as she was walking with Trace.

“I have to stop by the house because I left my wallet and then we’ll go to dinner and a movie afterwards. After you.” Trace said opening the back door for Kayla to get in.

“You’re sitting in the back?” Lance asked Trace looking a bit unnerved.

“Yeah, were else would I sit?” Trace said going around the other side of the car to open the door for Noemi. He’d figured Lance wasn’t going to be himself that night. He’d have to be a gentleman for the both of them.

“How nice of you.” Noemi said to Trace. “Can’t say the same for others.” and she looked at Lance.

“This is going to be a long night.” Lance mumbled.

“What was that?” Noemi asked putting her seatbelt on.

“Nothing. Hold this for me.” Lance said putting the box she’d given him on her lap. He found himself looking at her legs and looked away. Damn she has incredible legs. If only she wasn’t such a bitch!!

“Sure, just because you asked so nicely.” Noemi said getting a bit more comfortable on the seat. Comfortable meant that her already short skirt would ride up a couple more inches on her thigh. She smiled to herself evilly because out of the corner of her eye she saw Lance swallow hard.

*********************************
 Same Night
7:20pm

 Jenn slammed the kitchen cabinet hard for the third time. She was waiting for Jc to say just one word then she would go off on him. She knew he wasn’t going to let go of the argument about the paper. As much as she wanted to start off the fight she wouldn’t give in. she had been worried about the paper on the plane but hearing Jc himself saying he was recording an album had gotten her a bit more annoyed. Pissed off would probably describe her feelings at the moment. She couldn’t believe that her husband had kept something so life altering from her. Something as simple as recording an album had hurt her to no end.

“If you’re waiting for me to start. You’re wasting your time and we do have to be at Justin’s in an hour.” Jc said from the table where he’d sat the whole time Jenn had been eating a fruit salad by the kitchen island.

“I don’t have to be at Justin’s tonight. You can do it all on your own. Shit, isn’t that what you do anyway? Plan  things on your own.”

“No screw that. We aren’t making this about me. We are going to discuss why you are in a car kissing another man. I believe that is more important right now.”

“You know what’s important right now? The fact that my husband has been making plans that by the way involve me in every aspect and is leaving me in the dark about it.”

“Leaving you in the dark? What the hell are you talking about? Dark and cozy is what you are in the damn cover of the damned Post!!”

“Listen to yourself right now, Joshua. You of all people know how those pictures are taken out of context. You have been planning on recording an album for weeks now and that is definitely not out of context.”

“Can we talk about the damned picture, right now? Let the album shit go Jennise.”

“I’ll let it go as soon as you admit that you lied to me.” Jenn said throwing the bowl and the spoon loudly into the sink.

“Lied to you? I haven’t lied to you.” Jc said angered. He was sitting on the chair now looking at her.

“You call leaving me in the dark about plans that involve me, not lying?”

“I never lied to you. I just haven’t had the chance to tell you. You’re always off recording in New York or Orlando or kissing guys in a dark car.”

“Shut the hell up about the picture already, Jc!!” Jenn yelled.

“Why is my wife kissing a man inside a car?”

“We weren’t kissing you asshole. He leaned over to give me a kiss on the cheek. It’s dark and raining out. The picture is very deceiving. You don’t for one second believe I was kissing Fonsi, do you? Because if you believe that then we are in trouble, Jc.”

“We’re not in trouble, Jenn.” Jc said turning back to the table where he had been writing last minute ideas for that night’s recording session with Justin.

“We aren’t? You are planning to record an album. You didn’t tell your wife. You are green with jealousy about a stupid picture. What’s next? When did we stop telling each other everything?”

“When work became the priority, Jenn. That’s when.”

“So now it’s my fault? It’s my fault that I have a career, that demands me going to different states? You do just as much traveling as I do, Jc.”

“I never said your career was the priority, Jenn. But if the shoe fits.”

“You are not putting this on me. I won’t let you.”

“I’m going to take the trash out.” Jc said getting up from the chair and heading outside.

“Yeah, go ahead and walk away. That always works for you.” Jenn said leaving the kitchen and heading upstairs.

*****************************

 Lance pulled up to Justin’s gate and punched in his code. Kayla, Trace and Noemi were discussing a movie they had seen a couple weeks before. He hadn’t said a word the entire ride over to Justin’s just because he didn’t want to be there. He was starting to get annoyed with himself because he truly was becoming a grumpy old man. The choice of words wouldn’t have been his but Noemi choice of words were exactly those. ‘Juan, your friend is a grumpy old man.’ were exactly her words. The short ride to Justin wasn’t more than ten minutes but she had managed to talk about movies, music and his attitude in that short amount of  time.

“Make it quick, Trace.” Lance said parking in front of the house.

“You girls want to come in for a drink or something. The movie doesn’t start for another hour.” Trace asked ignoring Lance.

“Sure that would be nice. I have to use the ladies room too, if that’s alright?”

“Yeah sure. You coming grumpy?” Trace asked a very irritated Lance.

 Trace walked into an empty house followed by Kayla, Noemi and Lance. “You guys can go into the kitchen. I’ll just grab my wallet from upstairs and then I’ll be down to make the drinks.”

“Ladies room, Juan.” Noemi simply said.

“Oh right. The guest bathroom is right around the stairs right there.” Trace said pointing to the hallway under the stairway.

“Thank you.” Noemi said with a smile. Kayla followed closely behind.

“Where are you going?” Trace asked Kayla flirtatiously.

“To the bathroom, daddy. Mind your business.”

“Why do women always do that?” Trace asked Lance.

“Do what?” Lance asked walking towards the kitchen.

“They go to the bathroom in groups.”

“I don’t know. I really don’t care.” Lance said sitting down on one of the stools by the kitchen island. “Would you go get your wallet so we can go and get this night over with?”

“Stop being such an ass, bass. Hey that rhymed.” Trace said amused with himself. “You like her and you knows it. She’s smart, funny and she’s a knock out.”

“She’s also a bitch.”

“Whatever man.” Trace said walking out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

 Justin walked in from the kitchen’s back door a few minutes later with Andie in his asleep in his arms. Bobbie followed closing the door behind herself.

“What’s up man?” Justin said walking past Lance and into the living room where he placed Andie on the big blush sofa.

“Hey there Lance. What are you doing out of the office?” Bobbie asked taking her jacket off.

“I’m on vacation for God sakes!!”

“Well excuse me, grouchy. What’s up your ass?”

“He’s got an itch.” Trace said coming in to the kitchen.

“I’ve got an itch alright. It’s a disease called Trace-olitis.”

“Ohh, Lance got jokes.” Justin said opening the fridge.

“I’d appreciate it if you guys leave me alone.”

“Why are you so touchy, Lance? You okay?” Bobbie asked sitting next to Lance on one of the other four stools.

“I’m fine.”

“I agree. The attitude has got to go, though.”

“Speaking of attitude and fine.” Lance said looking behind him where Kayla and Noemi stood.

 Justin and Bobbie looked at each other and back at the girls. Justin stopped drinking from the carton of milk he’d grabbed from the fridge and smiled innocently.

“Kayla. Right?” Justin asked pointing at Kayla with a smile.

“Yeah. Nice to see you again, Jay.”

“Oh my God, she is shorter!!” Bobbie said grabbing Trace’s hand.

“Excuse me?” Kayla asked offended.

“Oh no girl don’t take that the wrong way. We just like to bust on Trace.” Bobbie pushed Trace to the side and walked over to the two pretty girls. “I’m Bobbie. Best Friend, babysitter or the journalist of the crew. Whichever you feel more comfortable with.”

“You forgot ex-wife.” Lance said without looking up from the magazine he had in his hand.

“Yeah that too.” Bobbie said with a chuckle.

“Nice to meet you, Bobbie. This is my cousin Noemi.”

“Well it’s nice to meet you too, Noemi. Love the shoes.” Bobbie said with a smile on her face.

“Thank you. Juan hasn’t mentioned he has friends with such good taste.” Noemi joked.

“Juan? Who the hell is Juan?” Bobbie looked confused for a minute. Trace chuckled.

“Trace is Juan, psycho.” Justin reminded her. “I’m Juan’s best friend, Justin. Nice to meet you. I’ve heard tons about you.”

“Really? Probably not good.” Noemi laughed which caused Lance to look up. He found himself almost on the verge of smiling too but turned his face back to the magazine.

“Where’s Juls?” Trace asked grabbing a carton of orange juice from the fridge.

“She left to New York for the Rollingstone thing. I told you that this morning. We just came back from taking her to the airport.”

“Just double checking.” Trace said as he took a gulp of orange juice right from the container.

“These guys are gross.” Bobbie said to the girls. “I’m going to tell Juliana you were both drinking from the cartons.”

“You better not!!” Trace said pointing menacingly at Bobbie. Noemi and Kayla chuckled.

“I know you from somewhere.” Justin said out of nowhere staring at Noemi.

“I doubt it. I’d remember.” Noemi responded.

“No, I’ve seen you before. I swear I have. Don’t I know her, Trace?”

“You’ve seen her at the diner, J. Don’t you remember?”

“Yeah, okay. I knew I’ve seen her before.”

“Yeah, that might be it. You’ve come to the diner before. I look a lot different when I’m working.” Lance watched her closely when nobody else noticed.

 Why did her eyes get wide when Justin said he knew her from somewhere? Why did she avoid eye contact with any of the guys? Something was fishy. And he was going to find out exactly what it was. His night might not be so devastatingly miserable after all. He always loved a challenge.
 
 

six



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story