Author's Chapter Notes:
super short and a bunch of dialogue, mostly filler. i know, i suck.

    

"You're going where?"    

"Colorado." Jc shrugs. "I found this band on the internet and they have a show tonight. Figured I'd go check it out."    

"Colorado?"    

"Yep."    

"They better be good then."    

"Funny... I could have sworn you agreed to trust my judgement on this stuff."    

"Trusting you and having to pay for your flights and hotel are two completely different things."    

"Right... cause money's so tight around here." He snorts and shakes his head. "My flight's in a couple hours so I'm heading out. I'll call you after the show."    

"Yeah... grab a demo or something."    

"Umm... yeah." He nods slowly. "I'll see what I can do."    

He quickly exits the office and all I can do is stare after him. Maybe it's just me, but he seems a little...weird, lately.    

But then again, it's Jace. He's always been a fuckin weirdo.     

I will say one thing though, him and Trace have worked this talent scouting thing out perfectly. Trace goes through the demo's that are sent to the label while Jc scours the internet and goes to shows.     

They've got an excellent system going. Pretty much fool-proof, really. The only problem is, we have yet to find anything worthwhile.     

Honestly, I just don't get it. We've been at this for months and keep coming up empty handed. It's not like all the talent in the world has suddenly dried up.     

Or, maybe the problem is that we're just trying too hard. Maybe we need to just sit back and wait for something to fall into our laps.    

Or, there's also the possibility that people just aren't interested in going to a label. They're all dead set on trying out for those fucking reality shows.    

Yeah... I'm putting way too much thought into this.     

I can't help wondering if it's just me. Maybe I'm the problem.     

I won't deny the fact that I've been picky about this. My first artist failed. I've accepted it and for the most part, moved on. I guess that's why I've been so weird about all of this.    

I failed once. It won't happen a second time.     

If I produce another artist who tanks, it's all over. I'll be a fucking joke. Nobody will want anything to do with my label and I'll probably go bankrupt or something.     

So yeah, I'm not going to sign somebody unless I'm absolutely sure they'll be successful.    

Makes sense, right?

 

********************    

 

"They were great man. They've been a cover band for awhile now and they just started working on their own stuff. They won this battle of the bands last night, so they're opening for The Killers next month. We've got to pick them up before somebody else does."    

"And you're sure they'll make it?"    

"No doubt in my mind." Jc nods seriously and even I'm starting to buy into what he's saying.    

He's been to Colorado three times within the last couple months and every single time he comes back raving about this band. I'm not doubting him or anything, but I'm still a little leery of the whole thing.     

He's never been able to get a hold of a demo and he's asking me to sign a band I've never met or even heard. Sorry, but I don't work that way.     

He knows the final decision is mine and if I'm going to even consider dealing with these guys, I have to hear them first.    

But, the fact that they just won a battle of the bands and will be opening for The Killers definitely swings things in their favor. But still, I'm not going into this blind. I'm not that damn dumb.    

"When's the Killer's show?"    

"The 10th."    

"And I take it you're planning on going?"    

"Probably."    

"Me and Trace will go with you then." I nod, a little confused by the way he tenses up.    

"Uh... ok. Wh-why though?"    

"You want me to sign them, right?"    

"Well, yeah. Of course."    

"Alright then. Don't I have a right to know what I'm getting myself into?"    

"Oh... um... yeah. Didn't really think about it like that." He forces what sounds like a nervous chuckle and I eye him carefully.     

He is acting really fucking odd and I'm not so sure I like it.    

"That alright with you?"    

"Hey... you're the boss." He shrugs.    

"Exactly. So, go ahead and book the flights and everything."

"Got it." He nods. "Are you bringing Keri?"    

Ugh. Keri.    

I really haven't got a clue what I'm doing there.    

Obviously, I don't care about the girl in any way, shape or form. Although... I do feel a little bad that she's decided she's in love with me.    

I mean, she kind of brought it on herself when you think about it. If she was as into this... this thing (I refuse to call it a relationship) as she wants to think, she would have realized a long time ago how one sided all of this is.    

Any normal, respectable girl would have dumped my ass months ago.     

I honestly don't know why she's hanging around and torturing herself. In the end, it's just gonna be her getting hurt.    

It's her funeral, I guess.     

"No."    

"Alright. I'll make the arrangements." He sighs before marching out of the room.     

With any luck, this band is going to be the ticket out of the hole I've dug for myself and my label.     

 

   



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: sequel celebrityj triangles