I could literally kill Jc. Like... actually buy a gun, hop a plane to LA and shoot him the second he opens the door.    

I mean seriously... on what plane of existence did he think this was a good idea? He had to know that throwing me and Justin at each other was the worst idea in the history of ideas.     

Granted, I wasn't holding any kind of grudge against Justin or anything, but still... I really, really did not want to see him. Arguing with him like that brought all that old shit back to the surface and I've had to spend the last several days trying to push it under again.     

In the back of my mind, I've missed him all along but after awhile, I became kind of numb to it. I convinced myself I was over him and I eventually started to believe it.  But now... now my head is one big cluster fuck and I can't make sense of anything.    

Was Jc honestly trying to help, or was this some form of revenge? Is this karma coming back to bite me in the ass for bailing on everyone the way I did?   

The only thing I know for sure is, Justin was just as surprised to see me and I still haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing.     

But, I guess it doesn't really matter. He and Jc both made it painfully obvious that it's just not going to work. So, Lucas and I have spent the morning shipping our demo's off to every label we could think of, trying to get a hold of some of the contacts we made at the Killer's show.    

So far, no luck. But... I'm sure somebody will bite eventually.     

"Alright... that's the last one." Lucas nods as he seals the final envelope and shoves it in the mailbox. "Unless you can think of anybody else."    

"No... I think we've got it covered." I follow him back to the car in silence.     

I've gotten pretty lucky with him, I think. Either he's completely oblivious to the fact that something happened the other night, or he's just not that worried about it.     

After talking, well... fighting, with Justin. I was a wreck. I booked it out of the club without any type of a goodbye, went home and let myself kind of lose it for awhile. I didn't really cry, but there was definitely some major freaking out going on.    

Then, I woke up the next day, fully committed to putting it behind me. It was just another stupid, senseless, dramatic argument with Justin. I've had enough of those to last me a lifetime, so there's no sense in getting all up in arms about it, right?    

"Who the fuck is that?" Lucas squints ahead as he turns down the street. I look up, slightly confused by the sight of a black range rover parked in front of the house.    

I rack my brain, trying my best to remember the car, but keep coming up empty handed. It isn't until Lucas pulls up directly behind it, that I notice the rental sticker on the bumper.    

Jc. It has to be.     

My best guess is that he's come to apologize, which can only mean, he was just trying to help. And I guess some part of me knew that.     

No matter how many times it happens, or how much evidence is stacked against him, I refuse to ever see Jace as the bad guy. He's always got the best intentions, and yeah... sometimes, it kind of blows up in his face, but it's the thought that counts, right?    

I climb out of the car quickly and head inside, not the least bit surprised to find Benny and Jc seated on the couch.     

"Hey Jace." I smile as politely as I can manage while tossing my bag onto the floor. "What's up?"    

"I was in the neighborhood.... figured I owed you guys an explanation."    

As much as I'd love to hear what he's got to say, he really doesn't owe any of us anything. He said he'd try and that's exactly what he did. It's not his fault it didn't work out.    

"No you don't. It's fine Jace. Honestly. No harm, no foul."    

"I don't know... it's an interesting little tale." Benny smirks and suddenly, my curiosity is getting the better of me.     

"I should have been up front and told you I was working for Justin, just like I should have told him we were coming out here to see you. But... I knew you guys really wanted to get signed and I'd been hoping that he'd see how good you all were and not care." He sighs and shakes his head. "Honestly... I knew he'd freak out a little, but I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. He keeps saying how he's over everything and I started to think he really was. Obviously... I was wrong." He chuckles softly and rolls his eyes.    

"Don't worry about it. You did what you could Jace. We're trying some other labels... it'll work out eventually."    

"That's actually why I'm here." He grins. "Justin and I did some talking and he really needs a new artist on the label and we all think you guys would be perfect."

"So... he... he wants to sign us?"   

"Yep." His smile stretches across his face and I can feel tears welling up in my eyes.    

This is too damn good to be true.     

"Trace and I will be handling your account. Justin won't have anything to do with it, and if it's alright with you guys, I'll be signing on as your manager."    

I nod slowly, letting everything he's just said sink in. Is this really happening?    

Things in my life never fall into place like this. There's got to be some sort of catch. Especially considering the fact that Justin's involved.     

I know I'm the only one who saw him really flip out a couple days ago, but I'm sure Jc got a similar reaction. There's no way Justin would turn around this quickly.   

"Why?" It comes out before I can even think about it and I cringe a little when Jc frowns at me.    

I know... I should be thrilled. We should all be celebrating right now. But this is just... too easy.     

"You guys were good. Justin wants a potentially successful act on the label."    

"But we weren't good enough four days ago?" Lucas suddenly speaks up.     

I'm glad atleast one of us is with it enough to question this. I just... I can't really believe it. Things just don't work like this for me.     

"It's not like that man." Jc sighs loudly and shakes his head. "I don't know how much you know... but Madison and Justin have... some history that could cause some problems. But, we've figured out a way around it. If you all still want to sign with us, we can meet for lunch tomorrow and go over the contract."    

"Tell ya what..." Lucas smiles sarcastically and rolls his eyes. "Tell Justin we've already got a couple offers on the table and... we'll think about it. We'd like to keep our options open."    

"Fair enough." Jc nods, slowly rising from his seat. "You guys talk about it, and give me a call tomorrow." He smiles as he brushes past me and leaves the house without another word.    

As much as I like Lucas... sometimes I wish he'd just keep his damn mouth shut.   

"And what, pray tell, are these other offers?" Benny arches an eyebrow suspiciously and smirks at Lucas.     

"I was bluffing." Lucas mutters. "That guy's an asshole, alright? He spent how long promising us a deal, then backs out, and he's back all of a sudden? Something's up. And until we figure it out... we're gonna make em sweat a little."    

"Umm... no, no we're not." Benny laughs and rolls his eyes. "They're offering us a fucking deal Luke... a couple label jerkoffs blew smoke up your ass at the Killer's show. You haven't heard from them since, and you're probably not going to. I say we meet up with them tomorrow and see what they're laying out. If it sucks, ok fine. But c'mon man...we've gotta atleast see what they're offering."    

"He's right." I mumble. "Jace wouldn't screw me like that, and the only reason it fell apart at the show was me."    

"So, in other words... we're all in for a bunch of shit because of you?"    

"Jace said Justin's going to stay out of it. I believe him."    

"Two against one. You've been out-voted." Benny grins and hops out of his chair. "I'll call Stel." He damn near skips out of the room and I can't help but laugh at him.    

No matter what's going on, the guy is always in a good mood. It's kind of refreshing.     

"Do I need to know what happened?" Lucas asks quietly, keeping his eyes on the floor. "I'm sorry Madison... but I don't want your personal shit hanging over my head and fucking this up. If I need to know... tell me now. And if this... if this is gonna lead to you getting back with him... just cut me fucking loose right now."    

I wince slightly and bite down on my lip.     

I fully believe Jc when he says Justin won't have any part of this. But, I also know Justin entirely too well. It'd be just a matter of time before he has to stick his big nose into our business.     

But then again, maybe he's changed. Maybe this is just business as far as he's concerned.     

And as far as me getting back with Justin... there's just no fucking way that's gonna happen. I'm over him. He's over me... I think.     

Maybe for once, something's going to just fall into place for me. Maybe it's exactly what it's been presented as.     

I cross the room and smile before sliding my arms around his neck.  "I won't let any of that happen. I promise."    

"You sure about that?"    

"Absolutely positive." I nod seriously. "It's all over and done with."    

He finally smiles and gives me a short nod. "Alright then. You know this means you're stuck with me, right?"    

"As much as you annoy me... I am perfectly ok with that." I giggle as his mouth meets mine.

 

*****************    

 

I follow my band mates into the small cafe and inhale sharply as the sight of Trace, Jc and Justin seated at a corner table. As thrilled as I am that we're going to make something of this band,  I can't ignore how strange all of this feels.    

Maybe if we were dealing with another label, or different people, it'd be easier to wrap my head around. I just... I feel like I'm cheating or something. Someone who's hurt as many people as I have doesn't deserve a second chance like this.    

And I still can't figure out why Justin suddenly changed his mind. He's just as stubborn as I am, so this is completely out of character for him.    

Don't get me wrong, I'm honestly beyond grateful, I just don't understand it. But, I guess we'll all be better off if I keep my mouth shut and don't ask questions.    

We take our seats and it's immediately clear that Benny is the least tense member of our group. He leans back in his seat, casually slouched to one side and plucks a menu off the table.    

I almost envy him. Never in my life have I been able to walk into a situation with that kind of nonchalance.     

Even Stella is sitting up straight, on the edge of her seat, her eyes darting around to each face. Although, something tells me it's not just anxiousness over this little meeting.    

Stella is the only one who knows all the gory details of my time with Justin and it's created a sisterly, protective kind of bond between us. In her eyes, Justin hurt me, therefore, he's earned a spot on her shit list.    

Then there's Lucas. On the surface, he looks just as bored with this as he does with anything else. But, with a closer look, it's easy to see his clenched jaw or the way his hand shakes in mine.    

"Hey guys. How's it going?" Jc smiles once we've settled in.     

He and Trace are all business, each of them with a stack of paperwork in front of them, while the space in front of Justin is empty.    

Justin's seat is several inches farther back from the table than anyone else's and it's clear as day that he's not paying the slightest bit of attention. Kind of makes you wonder why he's even here.    

Trace slides a sheet of paper in front of each of us as Jc begins to rattle off the details. I know I should be listening, but that dead look in Justin's eyes is the only thing I can focus on.    

Even after the bullshit we went through time and time again, he always managed to hold himself together. He had his moments, but he was usually the calm one. No matter what was happening, there was still some form of strength that practically rolled off of him.    

But it's gone now.    

The man sitting across from me has given up on everything. He's going through the motions to satisfy the people around him and I'd be a damn liar if I said it didn't break my heart a little. Especially knowing that I'm partly to blame, if not completely.    

If I had to guess, I'd say our fight the other night was probably the most emotion he's shown in months. He's just... lifeless. That's the only way to describe it.    

And I caused that.    

I ruined him.    

I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for it either.    

"The deal's just for one album now. Depending on how it sells, we'll be willing to renegotiate.  We'd like to have something out on the shelves within the next five or six months and if the first single does well, we can put together some promotion for the album and go from there. I know it's not exactly what you guys were looking for, but we want to be very careful with this."    

"Because Keri Butler tanked." Stella smirks as Justin winces.    

"That's... that's part of it, yes." Jc nods slowly. "But, it's not anything unusual these days. We'd like to test the waters before we push our luck. I'm sure you all can understand that."    

"What if the single bombs? Then what?" Lucas demands, his face flushing angrily. "You guys just gonna cut your losses or try again?"    

"We'll deal with that if and when the time comes." Jc shrugs. "But, based on your demos... that seems unlikely. Then throw Madison's writing ability in on top of that, plus a public interest in the fact that she disappeared for so long. I'm sure this will be seen as some sort of comeback and..."    

"Back up for just a second." Lucas chuckles darkly and shakes his head. "This is not her comeback... this isn't even her band, alright? I started this band, and the material we've got so far was written by all four of us. This is a band, not Madison Fox and her back up singers. She auditioned, just like the other two. If you're going to bill this as her comeback, you can fucking forget it."    

"Read your contract Lucas." Trace mutters and rolls his eyes. "It's plainly stated in there that all promotion will be for the band, and the band alone. You'll all be paid exactly the same, you'll all get the songwriting credit. You aren't going to find a more honest contract, you have my word on that."    

"It's legit man." Benny nods and digs a pen out of his pocket. "I just read the whole thing. I don't know about you guys... but I'm signing."    

Lucas turns to face me, a frown set firmly in place. "You're sure they're not going to fuck us?" He asks quietly.    

I glance at the three of them and take a deep breath. "Positive."    

"Alright." He nods and sits up straight again. "Anybody got a pen?"    

A minute or so passes before Stella hands me her pen and I stare down at the piece of paper in front of me.     

Signing this is going to change everything. I'm throwing myself back into the world I walked away from.     

I shake my head quickly, doing my best to shove every negative thought out of my head. I want this.    

I scribble my name across the bottom of the page and hand it back to Jc with a smile.

 

 

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: sequel celebrityj triangles