Author's Chapter Notes:

a little christmas present from me, to you guys. haha.

and since i completely forgot because i'm an airhead, THANK YOU to every single person who voted/nominated me at the NF awards. knowing you guys enjoy and appreciate my insanity that much makes this all the more fun. So, hugs and high fives all around!

Hope everyone has a happy/safe holiday!

alright, done rambling. i swear.

 

 

      

 

"Maybe if we loop that bass line...."    

"It won't work." I mutter and roll my eyes, ignoring the pout Keri shoots my way.    

We walked into this studio today with some really great ideas, but when we started actually working on the shit... well... it sucked. And that's being nice.     

I'm really not sure what the hell is happening here. It's like no matter what I do, nothing with her works. Recording, writing... even our half ass relationship doesn't work. And her fucking nagging isn't helping either.    

I know she's trying to make herself useful and be more involved this time, but the only thing she's succeeding at is getting on my last damn nerve. I'm starting to feel like I'm suffocating or something.    

Granted, I know a big part of the problem is me too. I would so much rather be down the hall with Madison and I guess it's got me a little agitated. I was really trying to convince myself this was all just business, but... that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.     

I really need to get the hell out of here before I totally lose my damn mind.    

"You know what... it's getting late, let's just call it a day, alright?"    

"Something wrong?"    

"No... I'm just tired and I think we need a break from this. Nothing's working out right." I sigh and rub my face tiredly for emphasis.    

"Oh....alright." She nods slowly, a slightly dejected look spreading across her face. "If you think it'll help."    

"Definitely." I force a smile as we both exit the studio. "I've got a couple errands to run, so I'll see you back at the house later." She frowns, but nods before heading down the hallway.    

Once she's out of ear shot, I dig my phone out of my pocket and dial Trace's number as quickly as my fingers will allow.    

"What's up?" I know he's practically screaming into the phone, but I have to strain to hear him over the background noise.    

"Where the hell are you?"    

"A club with the band and Jc....well... most of the band. Madison ditched us at the studio this morning."    

Well... that's odd. I was under the impression that Madison and her band were up each others asses constantly.         

"Her and Luke got into some big ass fight and she took off. Haven't heard from her since." He says before I have the chance to ask.    

"About what?"    

I really, really don't need this shit already. If those two are fighting and Madison decides to disappear for good, we're all fucked. And not in the fun way.    

"Well, first they were arguing over some songs she just wrote, then he started accusing her of.... some stuff. That's all I know man."    

Some things never change, I guess. After all this time, she still runs away when shit gets tough. Typical Madison.     

"Anybody know where the hell she is? She can't do this shit Trace, and it's your responsibility to keep them in fucking line!"    

"Chill, kemosabe." He laughs loudly and I can just see him rolling his eyes. "Stella said she's been hanging out at some artsy fartsy coffee shop on Third. They have an open mic night three nights a week and she's been testing material down there."        

Somehow, that doesn't seem all that shocking.     

Even now, I think recording doesn't really matter to her. At the end of the day, she wants to sit in front of an audience, play her guitar and sing her songs. It's always been about performance for her. Probably always will be.    

"Alright. Get them home early. They've got studio time in the morning."    

"You got it boss man. Later." The line goes dead and I snap my phone shut before stuffing into my pocket and heading for my car.     

I'm sure by the end of the night, I'll want to add this to the endless list of stupid shit I've done, but I want to see her. And I really want to know what the hell Mr. perfect did to piss her off.     

Granted, I don't know exactly what she's got going with this guy, but I don't like it. And it has absolutely nothing to do with our history.     

Something about him just doesn't sit well with me. Maybe it's the condescending way he talks to everybody, or it could just be the simple fact that both of our egos are entirely too large to mesh very well.     

It takes me roughly 45 minutes to get across town and find the coffee shop Trace was talking about. As I approach the front door, I can easily spot half a dozen people in their mid-20's, dressed in all black, eyes glued to their laptops, large coffee cups littered across the tables.     

Some of the most out there, abstract pieces of art I've ever seen line the walls, along with various band and movie posters. As I step inside, the scent of coffee and clove cigarettes hits me and I can't help but wrinkle my nose as my eyes water.     

No one seems the least bit interested in my presence, so I find a table as far away from the make shift stage as I can manage.     

The place is pretty much what I expected. Dim lighting, full of stoners and intellectual types. I haven't got the slightest fucking clue why Madison would choose this place to hang out in. This is so far away from her usual scene, it's almost comical.     

Several minutes pass before the house lights are shut off completely and a stool is placed on the small stage as a single spotlight comes on.     

Madison steps onto the stage, guitar in hand and takes her seat, a nervous smile firmly in place. She adjusts the mic stand and clears her throat.    

"Uhh... hey guys." She chuckles and rolls her eyes.     

Something tells me even she has no idea why she's trying. It's so obvious that not a single person here is paying any attention to her. Save for me, but she doesn't need to know that right now.     

"I just recently wrote this... so it may be a little sloppy in places." She shrugs, finally giving up on her speech. She diverts her eyes to her hands and a soft melody fills the silent building.

I miss those blue eyes
How you kissed me at night
I miss the way we sleep

Like there's no sunrise
Like the taste of your smile
I miss the way we breathe

But I never told you
What I should have said
No I never told you
I just held it in
And now I miss everything
About you
Can't believe that I still want you
After all the things we've
Been through
I miss everything about you
Without you

I see your blue eyes
Every time I close mine
You make it hard to see
Where I belong to when I'm not
Around you
Its like I'm not with me

But I never told you
What I should have said
No I never told you
I just held it in
And now I miss everything
About you
Still you're gone
Can't believe that I still want
You
After all the things we've
Been through
I miss everything about you
Without you     

 

The crowd claps politely, and all I can do is sit here with my fucking mouth hanging open.        

I know a lot of Madison's stuff is open to interpretation. You could swear up and down it's about one thing, when in reality, it's the complete opposite of what you thought. But that... that was so blatantly fucking obvious it's unreal.     

And now what the hell am I supposed to do? Sneak out of here, like I never heard that? Yeah, that oughta make work nice and awkward for me.     

But, if I approach her and try to talk about this, she's going to flip. I can just hear her telling anyone who'll listen that her crazy ex-boyfriend is stalking her.     

Which, really... is it actually stalking when said ex-boyfriend has a shit ton of money invested in you and wants to make sure the whole thing doesn't blow up in his face?    

And unfortunately, I've got a funny feeling that I think I know what she and Lucas were fighting about now.     

I stay seated as she steps off the stage and quickly shoves her guitar in the case before hauling ass out of the cafe.         

Go after her, or stay?    

Aw, fuck it. No matter what I do, things are going to be weird. Besides, Trace probably suspected I'd be coming here, and Lord knows he can't keep his big ass mouth shut.    I quickly rise from my seat and exit the building, spotting her right away as she heads for her car.     

"Madison!" I call out and can't help but chuckle when she jumps and spins around to face me.    

"Oh...hey." She swallows hard, eyes wide. "What the hell are you doing here?"        

Well... I was trying to convince myself that I was here solely to protect my investment, when in all honesty... I just wanted to see you.    

Yeah, that'll go over real well. Not.    

"Heard some shit went down this morning. I wanted to make sure you weren't taking off again."    

"So sorry to disappoint you, but no... I'm staying put." She mutters, slamming the trunk of her car shut. "So there... you checked up on me. Happy now?"    

I really shouldn't be all that surprised she's going on the defensive, and after the way I've been treating her lately, I really don't blame her.     

But, after seeing her in there, all vulnerable and spilling her guts... I guess it's softened me up and a lot of old shit is starting to resurface, and I'm not really sure how I feel about that yet.     

Because, I don't give a shit what she or anybody else says... I know that song was about me.     

"Look... I just... I wanted to make sure everything was alright. Trace said-"

"Trace says a lot of shit and most of the time, he's talking out of his ass." She sighs and rolls her eyes. "What do you want Justin?"    

"I just fucking told you. I wanted to make sure you were ok."    

"Right." She laughs darkly and shakes her head. "What happened to all the 'it's just business' bullshit? Honestly Justin... I can't keep up with this bi-polar shit tonight... I'm not in the mood."    

"I was in the coffee shop." I say quickly and wince as an angry scowl takes over her features.    

Damn... she's still kinda fucking scary when she's mad.    

"So what... now you're following me around? I knew this was a shitty idea! I knew we should have gone with another label, but I was trying so hard to be open minded and of course, it's blowing up in my face. Look... yes, you may be in charge of my career now... but what I do in my free time is my own god damn business and it's none of your concern!"    

"Will you shut up and listen to me for two damn seconds? Jesus woman!"    

I am really trying to stay calm here and knowing that she's probably just upset about whatever happened with Lucas is the only thing keeping me from going right back at her.   

"I just want to know if that was about me."    

She frowns and rolls her eyes again. "Great. Here we go again... Justin... everything I do is not centered around you, alright? I had a shitty day and wrote a song. Story of my life."    

She's lying. And even Stevie Wonder could see through that shit.    

"He thinks you're still in love with me."    

"Yeah... he does. So what?"    

"So, are you?"    

She opens her mouth to respond, but before she can utter a single word, my body seems to react on it's own and in a split second, my lips are on hers.    

 

 

 

"I Never Told You"- Colbie Caillat 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: sequel celebrityj triangles