Author's Chapter Notes:
i swore to myself i was gonna hold off on this, but obviously, it didn't work so well.

 

April 2010        

 

"I'm telling you man... these guys are fantastic. Just trust me on this, alright?"    

I arch an eyebrow in Jc's direction and frown. "Last time I trusted you, I almost ended up signing a stripper who wanted to sing show tunes."    

"That was a misunderstanding... and she wasn't exactly a stripper..."    

"Right." I mutter and shake my head as I follow him into the club.     

"I've actually seen these guys before... trust me, they're perfect." He grins as we find a booth in the back, Trace joining us several minutes later, three beers in his hands.    

Times like this, I really regret hiring both of them.     

Granted, I'm not going for any specific sound or image with the label, but I do have ideas of what I want and some of the shit they've brought me so far, ain't it.     

I've spent the last few months agonizing over signing another act, especially since Keri didn't exactly get the warm reception we'd been hoping for. I mean, she's done really well, but she hasn't achieved the same monster success as a certain brunette who disappeared on me roughly a year ago.     

But, we're not going to talk about her. So... moving on...    

Up to this point, Jc and Trace have presented me with pure crap. I mean... some of what they've pitched has been decent, but none of it's had the potential I'm looking for. And after the Broadway bound stripper disaster a few weeks back, I'm really beginning to question Jace's sanity.      

But hey... on the bright side, this new band Jace has latched onto is opening for The Killers, so even if they suck... I still get to hear some decent music tonight.     

It doesn't take long before the building is filled to capacity and it's almost impossible to see the stage from my seat. We slide out of the booth and force our way into the middle of the crowd, doing our best to keep our hats pulled low.     

I can make out four figures milling about on the stage in the dark. Two girls. Two guys. Interesting.    

The shorter of the two women disappears behind the drum set while the other woman and two men take their places at the front of the stage.     

Before the stage lights come up, a drum line that's all too familiar echoes throughout the building and soon after, a gravelly male voice rings out.

Listen to the wind blow
Watch the sun rise
Run in the shadows
Damn your love
Damn your lies
    

As much as I try to fight it, my stomach tightens. I'd promised myself I'd never listen to that damn song again.     

Good thing I'm used to breaking promises.

And if
You don't love me now
You will never love me again

I can still hear you saying
You would never break the chain    

 

A female voice follows and I can't stop the sudden pounding in my head or the buzzing in my ears.    

There's no fucking way.        

I'm hallucinating... I have to be.     

The lights finally come up and my eyes travel over each face, stopping on the one in the middle. A curtain of dark hair frames the womans face, her green eyes brighter than normal under the stage lights.     

As the crowd erupts in a roar of cheers, she smiles and I shut my eyes as tight as humanly possible. This can't be happening.    

I can still remember what she said to me the last time I saw her, clear as fucking day.    

"I'm sorry but I just... I can't do it anymore."    

Her appearance on that stage brings just one thought to mind.    

She lied.     

 

 

"The Chain"-Fleetwood Mac



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: sequel celebrityj triangles