Well, this is it.The last few months have led to this moment, and the only thing any of us can do is wait to see what happens.The single was released yesterday morning and today, the promotion cycle begins. Interviews, photo shoots, appearances, and my least favorite thing on the planet… morning radio.

I know I should be beyond grateful that I’m getting another shot at all of this, but I never was a fan of the hyped up bullshit. If it was up to me, and me alone, I’d release albums and tour. End of story.

Unfortunately, none of it works that way.

Romeo take me somewhere, we can be alone.
I'll be waiting; all there's left to do is run.
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess,
It's a love story, baby, just say yes.

"What is this crap?" I frown and reach for the dial, only to have my hand slapped away.

"Taylor Swift. Touch it and die." Stella glares at me and returns to belting out the words.

"Stel... she's... she's fucking awful." I wince at the sound pouring from the speakers and roll my eyes. "This is actually causing me physical pain."

"I will cause you physical pain if you don't shut the hell up. It's cute and it's catchy... so fuck off."

"I think screwing around with a youngin' has given you brain damage."

"He is awfully young, isn't he?" She sighs as she pulls into an empty parking spot. "You know... I really planned on it being a one time deal kind of thing, but... I actually like him. He's like Lucas... minus the brooding and mood swings. Speaking of which..."

"We're gonna be late." I mutter and climb out of the car before this conversation can go any further.

Right now, I just want to get on that plane. I don’t want to talk about boys or feelings, or anything, really. I mean, things with Lucas aren’t going badly or anything. In fact, they’ve actually started looking up a bit. Now that the tension and stress of recording is behind us, he’s mellowed out, and believe it or not… I can actually see us going somewhere.

The problem is… well… me.

I tried god knows how many times to convince myself that Justin was wrong for me. That if we ever got back together, we’d both be completely miserable. I’ve always figured that somewhere along the line, we’d have some massive blow out, and end up exactly where we are right now.

Apart.

But, since we started working on the album with him, a lot of old feelings started to surface, and well… I’m beginning to really question all the decisions I made last year.I mean, maybe… maybe once I got out of rehab, I should have gone back and tried to patch things up. Maybe we just needed some time away from each other, and then we could work on everything.

Or, maybe my crazy gene has kicked in once again and all these feelings are resurfacing because Justin’s… different.

Or maybe I’m different…. Hell, I don’t know.

Isn’t that great? I can’t even make sense of my own damn thoughts.

Stella and I quickly grab our bags from the trunk and make our way through the crowded airport toward our gate.

The only thing I’m sure of at the moment, is that I can’t wait to get to Chicago. I haven’t seen my parents or Chelsea in months, and I think some time with people outside of my current drama is much needed.

“Mornin’ bitches!” Benny calls out the second he sees us approaching. I can’t help but roll my eyes as countless people turn to stare, several of them covering their children’s ears.

Yeah… a nice, quiet few days with my family is exactly what I need right now.

 

********************************

 

“Chelsea… I really, really don’t think that’s a good idea.” I sigh into the phone and roll my eyes. “I kind of just want to hang out with my parents and get some sleep.”

“Well, that’s unfortunate for you. I’m pulling into the driveway now. See you in a few.” She laughs before the line goes dead.

God damnit.

Why doesn’t anyone ever fucking listen to me?

Chelsea has been trying to convince me to go out for the last two hours. I thought I was shooting her down successfully, but apparently not.

For reasons beyond me, she came up with this twisted plan of getting our whole group to head to the bar, have a few drinks and keeping in our usual tradition, do some karaoke.

Now, when I say she wants the whole group to go, I mean the WHOLE group. Me, her, Lucas, Stella, Benny, Liam, Jc, Trace and last, but certainly not least… Justin.

And to make matters worse, apparently I’m the only one holding out. I take that to mean I’m the only one with an ounce of common sense. Because hello… how can anyone not see the potential disaster in that combination of people?

I learned a long time ago that my friends and alcohol do not mix. We may be older now, but I seriously doubt that one detail has changed.

“C’mon Maddie… you know you want to go.” Chelsea grins as she enters my old room and plops down on the bed. “So, make yourself presentable and let’s go. We’re meeting everybody at the bar around nine.”

“Lovely.” I mutter as I rummage through my closet.

If there was even half a brain in my head, I’d put my foot down and refuse to go. But, that very small optimistic part of me is thinking maybe it won’t be too terrible. I mean, maybe we’ll all be able to go out and actually have fun together. Fat chance, I know, but I guess it’s a risk I’m willing to take. Besides, how much shit can we stir up in public?

On second thought….

“Chels, I really don’t want to do this.” I whine pathetically, hoping she’ll have the tiniest bit of sympathy and let me weasel my way out of this.

“Why the hell not? You love that bar!”

Alright, I do love the bar. She’s got me there. But, it isn’t the bar that’s the problem.

“I just…. Don’t.”

“Alright, what’s going on?” She demands. “And don’t even try to tell me nothing’s up. It’s all over your face.”

“I’m just tired. Ok? We’re gonna be so damn busy the next few weeks. I just want to get some rest while I still can.”

“Right.” She chuckles and rolls her eyes. “Sounds to me like somebody’s a tad nervous about being around her boyfriend and her ex…. Whatever the hell he was. Husband? Boyfriend? Who can keep that shit straight?”

“Very funny. And no, that’s not it.”

“Maddie… just get your ass dressed and let’s go. I won’t let anything get weird. Everybody just wants to have a good time.”

“Fine.” I mutter and grab a pair of jeans and clean shirt before stomping to the bathroom.

I’m gonna regret this. I just know it.

Honestly… I don’t even know what the hell I’m so worried about. It’s not like Justin has any reason to try and start a bunch of shit with Lucas. After all, they’ve been fine through 90 percent of the recording process, and… Justin has so obviously moved on. He has a… whatever Keri’s supposed to be. I’d be willing to bet I’m the least of his worries.

So, fine. I’ll go. But so help me god, if anything happens… I’m kicking Chelsea’s ass.

 

**************************

 

Now I've had the time of my life
No I never felt like this before
Yes I swear it's the truth
And I owe it all to you

 

“I’m telling you dude… those two are gonna move to Vermont and get married or some shit.” Lucas laughs and shakes his head before taking another sip of his drink.

“I think it’s cute.” Stella giggles.

I, however, find the whole thing to be pretty damn creepy. Benny and Trace are hammered out of their minds, and for reasons I will never understand, felt the need to sing the dirty dancing theme to each other.

I’d say it’s a safe bet that most of our table has had entirely too much to drink, myself included. But, I think Benny, Trace and Justin are probably the three best candidates for massive hangovers in the morning.

Justin’s been… well… really fucking weird tonight.One minute, he’s fine. Laughing and talking with everyone else. Then the next, he looks like he’s about two seconds away from choking the first person to even look at him. The ridiculous amount of alcohol he’s consumed hasn’t gone unnoticed either.

Before we even had a table, he had two beers in his hands. Not long after that, he switched to the harder stuff and he’s been a bit of a mess ever since.

But, he’s playing nice, so I’ll keep my mouth shut. As long as we’re all getting along, everything’s peachy as far as I’m concerned.

“Next up folks, we have Justin…”

Oh good lord. He’s honestly going to get up and do karaoke in this state? Wonderful.

He slides out of the booth and stumbles when his feet hit the floor, causing half the bar to laugh. He grins stupidly and saunters toward the stage, dodging tables, chairs and people the whole way. It takes several minutes, but he finally reaches the stage and hugs the man who hands him the microphone.

If we were still dating, I’d be fucking mortified right now. But, we’re not. So, really… I’m only mildly embarrassed that I know him.

“I don’t wanna get all sappy or anything…” He grins, a definite slur to each of his words. “But, this song is for a very, very special girl who’s gracing us with her presence tonight. Maddie, baby… this one’s just for you.” He points at me and I sink down in my seat, attempting to avoid the curious stares from my friends and other patrons.

I don’t know what the hell he’s about to do, but he’s fucking dead when he’s done.

Heard it from a friend who
Heard it from a friend who
Heard it from another you been messin' around

They say you got a boy friend
You're out late every weekend
They're talkin' about you and it's bringin' me down
But I know the neighborhood
And talk is cheap when the story is good
And the tales grow taller on down the line

But I'm telling you, babe
That I don't think it's true, babe
And even if it is keep this in mind

That fucking prick. He cannot be serious with this shit, can he? I mean seriously…. There’s just… there’s no way.

You take it on the run baby
If that's the way you want it baby
Then I don't want you around
I don't believe it
Not for a minute
You're under the gun so you take it on the run

You're thinking up your white lies
You're putting on your bedroom eyes
You say you're coming home but you won't say when
But I can feel it coming
If you leave tonight keep running
And you need never look back again

 

You take it on the run baby
If that's the way you want it baby
Then I don't want you around
I don't believe it
Not for a minute
You're under the gun so you take it on the run

Heard it from a friend who
Heard it from a friend who
Heard it from another you been messin' around

 

This is it. Out of the millions of times that I thought I was honestly going to murder Justin Timberlake, this is the time it’s actually going to happen.

He waltzes off the stage, his usual shit eating grin firmly in place, and it takes all the willpower I have to not slap the smirk right off his face.

“Madison…. What the hell’s going on?” Lucas glares at me.

Oh sure… blame me instead of the drunken idiot.

“I don’t know! I don’t know what the hell he’s doing!”

Lucas slides out of his seat and I swallow the lump that’s suddenly formed in my throat. This is exactly the kind of thing I was worried about. Those two have egos entirely too large to ever get along.

“Hey man… what the fuck’s your problem? What was that shit about?” Lucas shoves Justin, who falls back into a table before quickly straightening himself up.

“I ain’t got a problem. It’s all good dude. Chill.” Justin laughs loudly and shakes his head. “You ain’t gotta be all paranoid and shit. I was just messin around. She knows that.”

“Yeah? Well guess what asshole, she’s not the one you gotta answer to. I am, and I didn’t think that shit was funny.”

“Luke… man, c’mon. He’s wasted. Leave it alone.” Liam calls out to his brother and I can’t help but nod in agreement.

Am I pissed? Beyond belief. It would have been one thing if Justin was trying to be funny, but I know damn well that whole thing was a dig at me. Why? Beats the shit out of me, but that’s what he’s doing.

However, that doesn’t mean I want to sit back and watch Lucas kick the shit out of him. Whatever that was, is between Justin and I.

“No… I’ve had it with this mother fucker. He tries to act all cool with everybody, then turns around and talks a bunch of shit. Especially about her, and I’m done letting it go.” Lucas shakes his head before turning back to Justin. “So, what is it? Can’t stand to see her with somebody else, can you?”

“I’m not doing this with you man.” Justin laughs and takes a step back, only to have Lucas grab him by the arm and pull him back.

“Admit it… you’re fucking pissed off that she’s with me and not you. You hate the fact that she isn’t all about you anymore.”

“Lucas… man…. Just get your fuckin hands off me. I’m not gonna fight with you.”

“Luke… come on.” Benny and Liam appear on either side of him, working to pry him away from Justin.

As soon as Lucas lets him go, Justin rears back and a second later, his fist connects with Lucas’s jaw.

Suddenly, everyone’s screaming at each other, and all I can do is sit here, completely numb to all of it.

“Great plan Chels. Now we’re all going to fucking jail.” Stella mutters, setting off an argument between her and my best friend.

Jc and Trace try to pull Justin away from Lucas, but no matter how many times he gets hit, the drunk idiot just won’t give up. Justin shoves Trace back, knocking Liam over a chair, and suddenly, the two of them are ready to rip each other apart.

Lucas continues to struggle against Benny and before either of them realize it, someone’s elbow connects with Jc’s mouth.

It’s a fucking mess all around, and it’s one hundred percent my fault.

It doesn’t take long for the bar bouncers to appear and quickly break up the fight. The two hulking men grab Justin and Lucas before hauling them out the door and dumping them into the street.

The rest of us are told to be on our way, and the next thing I know, I’m standing on the curb watching my friends fight like hell.

As stupid as it sounds, I just want to sit down and cry.

This right here, is exactly why I left last year. I saw how miserable I was making the people around me, and I’d had enough of it. I thought it was all behind me, that we could all start over and be adults about everything, but now, it’s plain to see that nothing’s fucking changed.

What a way to kick off promo week.

 

 

"Love Story"-Taylor Swift

"Time Of My Life"- Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes

"Take It On The Run"- REO Speedwagon



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: sequel celebrityj triangles