Alright, I’m going to be perfectly honest and hope this somehow doesn’t come back to bite me in the ass.

I’ll admit it… I was a little skeptical about this Grammy stuff. And no, that doesn’t mean I doubt Madison or the bands talent. I just know how this shit usually goes down. Chalk it up to life experience.

I knew damn well they had Best New Artist in the fuckin bag, but for some reason, I was still surprised as all hell to actually hear their name called. I also knew that they had a pretty decent shot at Record Of The Year, mostly because Don’t Let Me Stop You has been in very heavy rotation since we shipped it out to almost every station in the country.

So yeah… after the best new artist win, I figured they’d prolly get it. But, I wasn’t at all surprised when Lady Gaga got up and accepted the award.

Honestly, I think I was more shocked by her outfit and incoherent acceptance speech. Crazy bitch was using a hubcap for a hat or some shit. I don’t get it man.

Anyway… back to the matter at hand.

The one that seemed the least likely was album of the year. They were up against some pretty big shit, and everybody knows that award rarely ever goes to the right person. Did they deserve it? Hell yes. Did I think they’d win it? Of course not. I fully expected to watch them accept this loss as gracefully as they had the first.

When their name was called, there was a lot of jumping around, screaming and I’m pretty sure there was some crying involved too.

Even now, watching them each step up to the podium and express their thanks, I still can’t fucking believe it. So much work went into making all of this happen and it just… it doesn’t even seem real.

I’ve seen Madison go through so much these last few years, and I don’t think I’ve ever been more proud of her. Hell… what just happened makes even the shit I had to go through worth it.

And yeah, I’ll admit that I have no idea where we’ll be in a year… for all I know, we could fall right back into our same old shit. But, I think this a pretty fuckin good start.

When you really think about it, we were doomed for failure from the very beginning. We never had a choice in any of what was happening to us, of course it all feel apart. But now… we did this on our own. We picked the pieces up and put this shit back together. And maybe that’s why I feel so good about it.

The four of them finally file off stage and head in my direction, clutching their Grammy’s and grinning from ear to ear. Stella, Ryan and Benny walk straight past me without so much as a glance, but Madison stops in front of me, her eyes glued to the award in her hands.

“Two outta three ain’t bad, huh?” I crack, but don’t get even a smile.

“You know…” She begins slowly. “I’m never going to be just Madison Fox again. I’m Grammy Winner Madison Fox now, and that’s… that’s a lot of fucking pressure.”

Why am I not surprised?

Only Madison could over think this instead of celebrate. Next, she’ll go into a rant about how the band will never top the first album, people will forget about them, then they’ll fade into obscurity.

“So you finally win your Grammy’s and you’re still not happy? Woman… there’s just no pleasing you, is there?”

A small smile appears on her face and she rolls her eyes. “Are you kidding? I’m thrilled… I just….don’t know. I don’t know how we’ll top this, and people are going to expect things now, and we’re-”

“Ok… here’s what’s going to happen… you’re gonna stop talking and go do your press. Then we’re gonna go to the after party and have fun. Then we’ll go back to the hotel and sleep. A lot.”

“You promised me shitty food, ice cream and sex.” She pouts and all I can do is shake my head.

“That was before you won. Now… press.” I grab her hand, but she doesn’t budge.

“Hey Jus…” I turn to face her and she smiles. “Thank you.”

“For?”

“For kicking me in the ass when I needed it, for putting up with me… just… thank you.”

“You forgot to mention getting rid of Lucas, being the best boyfriend-slash-boss ever, and pissing you off enough to write kick ass songs about it.”

“Nice to see the ego’s still in check.” She mutters as we head for the press room.

She’s pulled away from me in a matter of seconds and I can’t help but smile. Questions are being shouted at them from every direction, but Jace and Frankie seem to do a damn good job of avoiding the inappropriate ones.

“So, how long you gonna do this stupidly happy thing, cause I gotta tell you man… it makes ya look like a fuckin girl.” Trace grins and gives me a slight shove when he appears at my side.

“As long as I fuckin can.”

 

********************

 

I know this is going to sound really fuckin lame, but I’ve gotta say it… everything that’s happened tonight is ten times better than when I got to do this shit on my own. I honestly don’t remember ever seeing Madison this happy, and knowing I had a hand in it, feels amazing.

And maybe it sounds a little selfish, but damnit… we deserve this. We’ve been through a lot of shit these last few years, and it’s about god damn time we had something to celebrate.

“You gonna sit in the corner all night, or party with me?” Madison grins as she slides into the booth and places a beer in front of me, then takes a sip of her own.

“Shouldn’t you be schmoozing or something?”

She scrunches up her nose and shakes her head quickly. “I’m kind of over the mutual admiration thing for the night, I think. Besides… P. Diddy just told me he thinks I’m a badass, so my Grammy experience is officially complete.”

“Clearly Diddy doesn’t know you very well, because badass, you are not.” I laugh as she pouts at me and rolls her eyes.

You know, it kind of amazes me how easy it’s been to fall back into the way we used to be. There were times where I was so damn sure it’d never be like this again. I spent so much time being angry, and now… I almost can’t remember why.

I know we aren’t perfect, and I know we won’t ever be, but I feel like that’s why it works. We’re both a little insane and fucked up, and maybe that’s why we fit so well.

 

For those days we felt like a mistake
Those times when loves what you hate
Somehow
We keep marching on

 

“Can I ask you something?” She looks around, before settling her gaze on me.

“No Madison… you cannot bring any of your Grammy’s to bed. I refuse to sleep with one of those god damn statues in my bed.”

“Oh hardy fuckin har har.” She giggles and slaps my arm. “No, I’m serious… I need to ask you something. And I need you to tell me the truth.”

Ok, I’m smart enough to know that this is a loaded question.

If I agree to be honest, I’m setting myself up for some major shit. But, if I don’t agree… well… I’m sure you can guess what’ll happen then.

Women are fuckin sneaky like that.

“Depends on your question.”

“You love me, right?” She asks quietly, suddenly very interested in the napkin on the table in front of her. “I mean… I’m it, right? And we’re gonna keep going the way we are now… and everything’s gonna be good from now on?”

“Madison…” I sigh, and she looks scared shitless. “Baby…”

“If you don’t… just say it. It’s fine. I just… I need to know the truth. Because the past couple months have been amazing and I love you, and I don’t-”

 

For those nights when I couldn’t be there
I’ve made it harder to know that you know
That somehow
We’ll keep moving on

 

My mouth is on hers before she can finish her sentence and I immediately feel her relax against me.

I honestly don’t even know why she feels like she needs to ask. I mean… I’d like to think the answer is pretty damn obvious.

She pulls away from me, and looks around again. Her left hand is in a fist, and for a split second I have visions of her decking me. Instead, she unclenches her fist and holds her palm out in front of me.

In the dim lighting of the club, I can just barely make out the words scribbled across her palm, in her unmistakable large, loopy handwriting.

I look up at her wide eyed, and she bites down on her lip.

Holy shit.

 

For those doubts that swirl all around us
For those lives that tear at the seams
We know
We’re not what we’ve seen

For this dance we’ll move with each other
There ain’t no other step than one foot
Right in front of the other

 

I look down at her hand again, and there’s no denying it. The longer I stare at it, the clearer the words “Marry Me?” become.

“What… I… now?”

She laughs loudly and nods. “Vegas is only about a four hour drive. I figure we can get there by… seven a.m?”

She’s fucking crazy. That’s about the only way to sum this up. Madison Fox is off her god damn rocker. But damnit if I don’t love her for it.

“You’re serious? Cause if I recall correctly… you’re the one who wanted a dress, and a cake, and guests and all that other happy horse shit.”

“I don’t need all of that.” She says simply and shrugs. “And this just… fits, you know? It’s like… coming full circle, or some shit. So….”

 

We’ll have the days we break
And we’ll have the scars to prove it
We’ll have the bonds that we save
But we’ll have the heart not to lose it

For all of the times we’ve stopped
For all of the things I’m not

We put one foot in front of the other
We move like we ain’t got no other

 

She looks so damn nervous, and I can’t help but laugh. She knows damn well I’m gonna say yes. I don’t know what she’s so freaked out about.

“You know… proposals typically involve someone getting down on one knee… a ring…” Her eyes narrow and I shrug. “Just sayin…:

“So help me god… if you make me get down on my knees…”

“We gonna sit here and argue, or get on the road woman?” I laugh as she finally slides out of her seat, and laces her fingers through mine.

She’s right.

This just… fits.


There’s so many wars we fought
There’s so many things we’re not
But with what we have
I promise you that
We’re marching on

 

"Marching On"- OneRepublic

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: sequel celebrityj triangles