Author's Chapter Notes:

ok... i am so not the type to make some long winded speech, but i feel like this kind of warrants it.

first off, i can't begin to thank all of you enough. if i could, i'd buy every single one of you cookies. I appreciate every single review, email, comment, hell... even just reading this beast.

i've spent two full years telling this story, and it amazes me how many of you have stuck this thing out, despite my insanity. lol.

anywho... THANK YOU to each and every one of you. this entire series was most definitely my baby, and being the total lame ass i am, i'm a little bummed to see it end.

now, i think that's about enough of my babbling.

 

 

 

“What the shit is this?”

“Some countdown show VH1 did. It’s called no-hit wonders. It’s about people who were all hyped up to be big shit, then fell on their faces. Keri was number four, by the way.” I can’t help but smirk when he rolls his eyes in annoyance. “Speaking of which… you will never believe this dream I had last night. So… I’m out walking around the city, right… and I run into her. Not like, literally… but, you know. Anyway… she starts her same old song and dance. ‘Justin’s too good for you, I’m more talented than, blah blah blah.’ Then, she goes to leave and steps off the curb, and… BAM, this bus just plows right into her. And this crazy British woman gets off the bus and goes, ‘oh well, devil whore had it coming’ and walks away. Then I woke up.” I shrug as he stares at me, completely dumbfounded.

“Ok… one… I don’t care about this stupid show. Two… I’m pretty sure you belong in a mental institution and I won’t be at all surprised when you try to murder me in my sleep. Three, and this is why I asked in the first fucking place… why are you moving my shit?”

I look at the shelf in front of me and shrug. “Don’t be such a baby. There’s plenty of room for them. Besides, you have like… a hundred. I only have two, therefore my Grammy’s are more special than yours. Remember that… fewer equals better.”

“I’m having you committed. I’m not even remotely kidding.”

“No you won’t. For two reasons… one, there won’t be anybody to sleep with you.” I giggle as he shakes his head. “Two… you kinda love me and stuff.”

“Yeah… guess I do.” He grins and shakes his head.

So, I’m guessing you want to hear all about mine and Justin’s second trip to Vegas, right?

Well, sorry to disappoint you, but it really wasn’t too exciting. Once we left the party on Grammy night, we got Justin’s rental car, and headed straight for Vegas.

As soon as we got into town, we found the first wedding chapel we could, and did the deed.

To this day, I only have a few vague memories of the first go round, but I’m able to remember every detail of this time. Including the awful Elvis impersonator who presided over the wedding.

I know most girls spend their entire lives dreaming of their wedding, and how perfect they plan for it to be. Call me crazy, but… even after dreaming about what my wedding could have been, I was surprisingly content with it being in a crappy chapel in Vegas, surrounded by gaudy, pink decorations.

Unfortunately, as with most things in my life, the media managed to track us down. Which is why the current cover of People Magazine is a photo of Justin and I leave the chapel, hand in hand, looking about as giddy as humanly possible. I know it’s beyond corny, but I bought a copy, had it framed and it now hangs in the living room.

After all, it’s the only wedding picture I’m gonna have, may as well make the most of it.

Once we got back to L.A, got our marriage license, filed the proper paper work and exchanged decent rings (Justin, being the completely nerdy romantic he refuses to admit he is, had both of our rings inscribed with one simple phrase, “the chain will keep us together“, and yes, I was a total puddle of mush after I saw it.), I moved back in with Justin and we had a big ass reception for our friends and family.

I was under the delusion that they’d all be happy as hell that we finally had our shit together enough to make this decision, but no such luck.

Turns out one secret wedding, while not totally appreciated, is forgivable. But a second, to the same man, no less? That would be a big fat fucking no.

My parents were livid when I called them. Justin’s mother demanded we organize a proper wedding in a church, and then there were our friends. All of whom refused to speak to us for several days.

Maybe it was a little selfish on our parts to take off the way we did, but it just… felt right. So much of our lives are shared with the people closest to us, as well as the rest of the world, and it was fucking amazing to have just this one thing to ourselves. I feel like it made it that much more special. And yes, I’m aware of just how cheesy that sounds.

It’s only been a couple of weeks and we’re still adjusting, but I feel really good about all of this, like we somehow managed to finally get it right. It took both of us so damn long to realize we aren’t perfect and never will be, but I feel like that’s what we needed to see.

We both had all these ideas of how we thought this should work and when we didn’t live up to those ideas, we freaked out.

I’ll be the first to admit how stupid and selfish we both were, and I’m sure there’s a thousand other derogatory terms you could stack on top of those, but maybe all the time we spent running this thing into the ground is going to help us in the long run. Now we know exactly what not to do.

“You done moving my shit around yet? I was kind of hoping I’d get to attack you at some point today.” Justin sighs as he wraps his arms around my waist from behind and rests his chin on my shoulder.

“I’m not sure… I kind of wanted to re-organize the kitchen. I can’t find any damn thing in there. I swear… I don’t know how the hell you live in this mess.”

Ok yes… I’ve been doing the typical girl thing the last week or so, and rearranging everything in the house to my liking. Granted, Justin isn’t too pleased about some of the changes, but he’s stuck with me now, and he’s just gonna have to deal.

“The kitchen is fine.” He mumbles. I can’t see him, but I’m fairly certain he’s pouting. “I, however, am not. This being married stuff means you’re supposed to pay extra attention to me.”

“And if this was the first time we were married, maybe I would.” I giggle and roll my eyes. “I don’t think the normal newlywed rules apply to us baby.”

“Woman… the word ‘normal’ doesn’t even apply to us.” He chuckles and shakes his head. “But… I kinda like us.”

“I kinda like us too.” I grin as he laces his fingers through mine and pulls me up the stairs.

I know we’re always going to be kind of a mess. And I’m perfectly happy with that. Every single thing we had to go through to get here, was more than worth it, even if it didn’t seem like it at the time.

Clean and easy isn’t what makes life interesting, now is it?

 

 


Completed
katethegreat is the author of 28 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 27 members. Members who liked Careful also liked 710 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Vegas. The previous story in the series is Welcome To The World. The next story in the series is Carry.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: sequel celebrityj triangles